Who replaces Ten Hag?

CtRafidah

Q: Who replaces Ten Hag?
A: Jadon Sancho
The best answer ive seen yet, with ratttcliff coming in soon, it as well be him player/coach on 500,000million a week contract!:lol::lol::lol:

So many detail , rocket science analysis left right in thread. Throw in any coach thats successful now at their current clubs think they can outwin the shoddy management we have (and soon to add a new employee) have?

Some say gone are the days of longevity coaches, so whats the bar now? 12months then a hand shake with briefcase stuffed in millions of quid and a goodbye??

Rednotdead

The thing is, you don’t really know who might be seriously interested in a job until it becomes vacant.

But then again shouldn’t a club of the stature of Utd have someone in line before binning their manager?

I really don’t see any outstanding candidate just now. Potter? Seriously?

Someone

Something
Alonso seems to be doing a good job, although he'd be a risk.

I find De Zerbi overrated and extremely unlikable. Really don't want us to go anywhere near him.

Would Zidane be tempted?

Anyway, I hate that we'll be looking at a new manager soon anyway.

Superunknown

Pre-Chelsea, I wouldn't have been against Potter. However, it's clear that the Brighton infrastructure was set up in such a way that there was a clear plan and strategy regarding transfers. He didn't have that at Chelsea and he won't have it here. Therefore, I predict the exact same thing that happened at Chelsea would happen here, too.

I imagine Zidane will be at the top of people's lists.

Baxquux

fecking Bielsa is that where we are
Bielsa would be wonderful as a short-term option, honestly. Double murder-ball, sort the chancers from those who at least merit being retained as squad options.

He's a coach first and foremost, and one committed fully to exactly what we're lacking in terms of off the ball movement, quick interplay, consistent pressing across the team etc. Bielsa and a new , competent DOF being eased in whilst we recruit for a longer-term manager would be potentially season-saving in terms of a top-4 push, bringing in young players and raising their top-flight decision-making levels as well as core fitness

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Right now I'd take Aleisha Lehman. She might get the team motivated!

Woodenlung

At this point I don't think it actually matters. The problems will persist no matter who the manager is or what type of system they try and implement.

I think Ten Hag is a good coach that has shown he can implement a system of modern, high pressing and attacking football at Ajax. That was helped due to the system and sporting structure at that club.

There's no such system at United because the higher ups don't want one or don't care enough to implement it. The 'Ajax system' isn't even that unique any more. Every major club in Europe has some variation on the Director of Football system with a scouting/recruitment side that analyses the best players to fit the role the manager requires. They don't allow the boss the entire freedom to choose players like we appear to.

All of the managers listed above, if they were to replace Ten Hag, would follow the same trajectory. An initial uplift of results and performances and they inertia as they are asked to pick players to suit their needs, despite clearly not having the expertise in scouting required to make that judgement.

Nonameisknown

Supports
United
If you like hire Budha, united will remain rubbish now and for the forseeable future. Anyone who's not an armchair analyst knows from top to bottom is rotten. Pep Guardiola said as much in his post match press conference about being in the same direction as the owners, board, sporting directors at City.

Wiesenlooser

Supports
Bayern Munich
I keep hearing Xabi Alonso's name. Do we not think his loyalties to the Scouse would make that a little unlikely?
He won't join United. His contract runs until 2026, but he has a clause (or agreement with the club) that he could leave for an offer from any of his former clubs (Real, Bayern, Liverpool). I think we (Bayern) are quite happy with Tuchel atm, same with Liverpool and Klopp. Real is quite a big step but I think there's a 100% chance that one of the three clubs will need a new manager in the next 1-2 years and Alonso will take that chance.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Diego Simeone would be great, a real hate figure, winner and master of the dark arts.

Biesla would also be welcome, simply because he would have a team that runs, something I haven't seen for a long long time.

Happy to stick with ETH for now, club is a mess anyway.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I think the structure of the club is fecked like everyone else has said. Maybe wishful thinking but I'd like to see what Carrick could do. One of the most tactically astute players I've seen playing the game so you'd hope that might translate. He is obviously short on experience though at this level.

doomy20

Doesn’t matter. Just like Retail World if Warcraft we need a complete reset of the club. A new start.

The Oracle

Sean Dyche or Sam Allardyce

...and no there is no white text, I'm being genuinely honest.

They can't do any worse than Ten Hag.

crossy1686

career ending
You want to make this very same thread again within a year with that list, mate?
Mate, if we have to then we have to. You keep going until you find the right man. You don't have to delete the club from top to bottom to get the team to perform well, and if you do then you've definitely got the wrong manager.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I'm not having YET ANOTHER rebuild. Sets the club back even further, give the man more time. He's had a season and several months.

Give him at least 3 seasons. Fed up of chopping and changing it's getting tedious and the fact that there's a section of the forum that want to change after 1 season is astounding. Yes we're shite but we've been shite for a decade +.

crossy1686

career ending
I'm not having YET ANOTHER rebuild. Sets the club back even further, give the man more time. He's had a season and several months.

Give him at least 3 seasons. Fed up of chopping and changing it's getting tedious and the fact that there's a section of the forum that want to change after 1 season is astounding. Yes we're shite but we've been shite for a decade +.
We don't need another rebuild. Why would you let someone who can't squad build have 3 seasons to ruin the squad? Because you're tired of new managers? The only thing setting the club back is giving people who aren't up to management at this level a big say in the recruitment.

didz

If we do part ways with Ten Hag - and I'm still hoping, probably in vain, that he can turn things around - then pivoting to a Simeone or similar would be a disaster. I'd want somebody with similar ideals who would be keen on a similar profile of player, rather than yet another complete 180 that throws us into yet another years-long transitional period.

Luis Enrique was who I wanted before Ten Hag, but he's obviously off the market now. Maybe Arne Slot? Although I could see a lot of fans going, "Yuck, Dutch again," or something.

Alonso is a complete non-starter, Zidane I think would be an instant flop even if he did want to come, and aside from that, I don't see much out there.

I think the structure of the club is fecked like everyone else has said. Maybe wishful thinking but I'd like to see what Carrick could do. One of the most tactically astute players I've seen playing the game so you'd hope that might translate. He is obviously short on experience though at this level.
Even if he wasn't having a pretty torrid time at Middlesbrough, I don't think he'd be an option. After having front row seats to the evisceration of Ole, I doubt he'd have any intention of taking the job. You could also argue that we kind of know what he'd do here, given he was such a big part of that setup.

fallengt

Mate, if we have to then we have to. You keep going until you find the right man. You don't have to delete the club from top to bottom to get the team to perform well, and if you do then you've definitely got the wrong manager.
That strategy won't work without proper football board.
Every manager will demand 300m a season and club just can't sell previous players to thin the squad & recoup some money. Part of our problem is manager is so bad at buying players to begin with... and it's not like our Dof is any better so manager'd get sack regardless of the option he chooses. We stuck in this ad infinitum circle until full reset

Last edited:
We don't need another rebuild. Why would you let someone who can't squad build have 3 seasons to ruin the squad? Because you're tired of new managers? The only thing setting the club back is giving people who aren't up to management at this level a big say in the recruitment.
We don’t, but that’s how this club operates. They will bring in a new manager give him £300-400mil on his own players then we’ll be back in this same situation in 18months time.

hobbers

:lol: not happening.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I'm struggling to think who you'd replace him with to be honest.

I'll get cained for this, but I honestly think if Ronaldo hadn't come back Ole may still be here, those first several games before he came back we were playing some decent football and it looked like we had turned a corner.

It feels like we're in free fall at the moment, more so than at any other time and every win is just clawing onto the inevitable and that's EtH getting the sack. Not that I want that to happen but the more defeats we have the more I can see it happening. (As obvious as that sounds :lol:)

If we'd had signed Ange I don't think he'd have the same success as he has had at Spurs, the pressure the Man Utd job has is immeasurable.

The club has become a poisoned chalice for players and for managers. They come here and just turn to shit.

didz

They'd won six in a row prior to yesterday.
That's me well out of the loop, I thought they'd had a really bad start to the season. Quick glance now has them in 10th, so guessing he turned it around. Useful trait for a United manager these days :lol: