Who replaces Ten Hag?

RVN1991

End the season with either ETH or a caretaker, and get Zizou on intensive English classes. I think he must be B1/B2. With proper intensive training he can get to C1 in six months.
Stop it, he doesn't want to come here. It'd be a manager version of Di Maria all over again.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
@TheMagicFoolBus so what’s the first dumbest thing? Lukaku?

A Chelsea supporting mate of mine still hasn’t forgiven them for succumbing to player power and sacking Sexton :lol:
I wish they hadn't, he ended up with us and if you think our football is bad today then go and find some old videos!

Teja

Admittedly I've only scanned through the names, but surprised Emery isn't been mentioned much.
Do you really want to deal with the Emery sufferball? It's the same shit as following LvG up with Mourinho. We need someone to build on whatever principles Ten Hag drilled into the squad.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
@TheMagicFoolBus so what’s the first dumbest thing? Lukaku?

A Chelsea supporting mate of mine still hasn’t forgiven them for succumbing to player power and sacking Sexton :lol:
Selling KdB with 3.5 years left on his contract for 17m after he'd been one of the best players in the Bundesliga the year before with Werder Bremen. All because Mourinho decided he wasn't fit for purpose based on one half of football in the FA Cup.

Revaulx

I wish they hadn't, he ended up with us and if you think our football is bad today then go and find some old videos!
He went to QPR post-Chelsea and nearly won the league in 1976.

He nearly won the league with us in 1980. Our best finish in 26 or so years.

What did for him wasn’t the “bad” football; rather that the team fell to bits when Wilkins was out injured. Results without him in 80/81 were awful. Plus Birtles :rolleyes:

Revaulx

Selling KdB with 3.5 years left on his contract for 17m after he'd been one of the best players in the Bundesliga the year before with Werder Bremen. All because Mourinho decided he wasn't fit for purpose based on one half of football in the FA Cup.
Ah fair enough!

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
He went to QPR post-Chelsea and nearly won the league in 1976.

He nearly won the league with us in 1980. Our best finish in 26 or so years.

What did for him wasn’t the “bad” football; rather that the team fell to bits when Wilkins was out injured. Results without him in 80/81 were awful. Plus Birtles :rolleyes:
The football wasn't good, +30 goal difference in Liverpool's favour, and losing 6-0 at Ipswich is almost on par with last year at Anfield!

glasgow 21

Dont know for sure, but it does feel like this.

His ways may have worked with a bunch of kids at Ajax, most of whom grew up in that system. But not sure if it converting to MUFC.
Absolutely correct ETH skills doesn't transfer to a our well oiled system from youth through to senior team. United system is too clever and on a higher plain than some Dutch wannabe managers.

Revaulx

The football wasn't good, +30 goal difference in Liverpool's favour, and losing 6-0 at Ipswich is almost on par with last year at Anfield!
They scored 16 more than us; surprisingly few, considering we always felt rather goal shy. Jordan was a great CF but never a prolific scorer.

I was at Ipswich for that one! Buchan had probably his worst game ever; in hindsight probably the first sign that he was getting past it. Paul Mariner completely destroyed him.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
They scored 16 more than us; surprisingly few, considering we always felt rather goal shy. Jordan was a great CF but never a prolific scorer.

I was at Ipswich for that one! Buchan had probably his worst game ever; in hindsight probably the first sign that he was getting past it. Paul Mariner completely destroyed him.
Mariner was a much better player than he was ever given credit for, I think he'd have been at his peak then, on paper we had a decent team, Jordan, Coppell, Macari, Ritchie, Jimmy Greenhoff and Sammy Mac was always good for a few goals

Revaulx

Mariner was a much better player than he was ever given credit for, I think he'd have been at his peak then,
That whole Ipswich team was good. Butcher, Wark, Mühren etc; they won the UEFA Cup in ‘81.

on paper we had a decent team, Jordan, Coppell, Macari, Ritchie, Jimmy Greenhoff and Sammy Mac was always good for a few goals
Jordan 13; Macari, McQueen (!) 9; Coppell, Thomas 8; McIlroy 6. A good spread, but still not enough.

Redivy

Got to be De Zerbi doesnt it? Premier League proven, over achieved, plays exciting football, ticks all the boxes. Regardless of who comes in they need to be supported by a quality DoF.
Want to see how he goes with encouraging his team after a loss of form. Brighton lost 6-1 to Villa, draw to Liverpool, lost to City, then drew to Fulham and Everton. Now obviously its hardly a mark against De Zerbi because he did well to compete with Liverpool and City but his team hasnt won in 5 PL games, can he boost them into another run of form and really solidify a top 8 finish?

If so, then he might be a great shout for us for next season.

But we need to bring in a proper DoF first and let them decide who fits their philosophy.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
That whole Ipswich team was good. Butcher, Wark, Mühren etc; they won the UEFA Cup in ‘81.

Jordan 13; Macari, McQueen (!) 9; Coppell, Thomas 8; McIlroy 6. A good spread, but still not enough.
2 wingers who could cross, Mickey Thomas and Steve Coppell and a CB who put his head in the danger zone though Jordan did that as well so a little surprising he only got 13

Blood Mage

With our current structure? Ancelotti or Emery. If we sort our structure out then by all means we can take a punt on a hipster choice like De Zerbi or Anorim.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
If you haven't ripped up whatever metric you were using 18 months back in the data analysis department then Julen Lopetegui will be interviewed once more I imagine.

croadyman

I doubt it.....

“Certain conditions make things more difficult,” he said. “Language, for example. When people say to me, ‘Do you want to go to Manchester?’ Well, I understand English but I don’t fully master it. I know there are coaches who go to clubs without speaking the language, but I work differently. To win, many elements come into play. It’s a global context. I know what I need to win.”

https://theathletic.com/4106988/2023/01/26/zinedine-zidande-france-relam-madrid/
This is exactly why I don't see it ever happening

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I doubt it.....

“Certain conditions make things more difficult,” he said. “Language, for example. When people say to me, ‘Do you want to go to Manchester?’ Well, I understand English but I don’t fully master it. I know there are coaches who go to clubs without speaking the language, but I work differently. To win, many elements come into play. It’s a global context. I know what I need to win.”

https://theathletic.com/4106988/2023/01/26/zinedine-zidande-france-relam-madrid/
It's not the lingo that is the problem, he was just being nice. The problem is he can't win anything at United and he wants to manage to win.

redcucumber

Why is Lopetegui in the conversation? And why on earth was he shortlisted before we opted for ten Hag? Fired from Madrid, fired from Sevilla, did fine at Wolves for a year before leaving. Hardly the CV of a man we should be chasing.

Judas

Open to offers
Why is Lopetegui in the conversation? And why on earth was he shortlisted before we opted for ten Hag? Fired from Madrid, fired from Sevilla, did fine at Wolves for a year before leaving. Hardly the CV of a man we should be chasing.
I’d rather keep Ten Hag than hire him, he’d be a disaster.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Lopetegui wouldn't be a good manager for United.

But to be fair to him: Sevilla have fired two managers in the year since sacking Lopetegui, and are still bad.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Whatever happens, give him until November next season.

It's pointless changing manager now, aside from a short lived new manager bounce, nothing will change.

flameinthesun

Flavor of the month. Both would face the same struggle as ETH
The flavour of the month argument I don't get as we've had some of the most experienced managers come here and fail as well. I think its more important to have the right setup to support a manager or else whether flavour of the month or experienced both will fail.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
The flavour of the month argument I don't get as we've had some of the most experienced managers come here and fail as well. I think its more important to have the right setup to support a manager or else whether flavour of the month or experienced both will fail.
They were all past it. ETH was one of the most promising managers and he is struggling too. What makes you think a manager with even less experience and less success can do better? We have seen that every single manager since SAF failed. You can't tell me that 2 young managers can do so much better.

fallengt

They didn't fail mate. Both Mourinho and LVG won trophies. Moyes/Rangnick were never given enough time.
FOTM Ole, won nothing, despite of him had okay league record, the conclusion was he already hit his ceiling and his legacy is non existent

If you look at why they "failed" you would see the scattered recruitment plan was what failed them. Unless De Zebri is a genius in transfer market himself then there's no point.

Last edited: