Who replaces Ten Hag?

lex talionis

Zidane is only waiting for the France job. If Deschamps hadn’t extended his contract with France, Zidane would have gotten the job.
A reasonable inference from your claim, which I do not doubt, is that since Deschamps has extended his contract that Zidane may be waiting for a while. I still say impossible but if Deschamps is at the helm through the next WC isn't there a reasonable window now for Zidane to take this job and then take over the France NT job after 2026?

Martinez4midfield

Supports
Ajax
Lopetegui it's interesting I respect how he walked away from Wolves when they didn't bring in players. Not sure how well that would go over with the Glazers though.

JagUTD

Enough with the no names from smaller leagues. De Zerbi, get it done. He looks like a guy who doesn't take shit as well.
Honestly he's the best realistic option of the ones mentioned, which isn't exactly hard considering one of them is Graham fecking Potter. Realistic is probably stretching it as Brighton would demand a world record fee which would also be used against him from day 1.

Then there's the whole step up thing. It's one thing doing well with Brighton. Graham fecking Potter did well with Brighton, the club is carefully set up to get the most out of every department. Low pressure, low risk and high reward job.

Whole different world at the big clubs. Who was the last manager from a mid level club to make the step up and succeed?

justboy68

Honestly if Ten Hag is doomed, then an appointment like Potter might not be the worst thing to get the fanbase thinking of the head coach as more of a cog in the machine and not the entire machine themselves. The key thing INEOS will bring is a better structure. That structure will also need to focus on refreshing the squad of course. Potter as simply the one to coach the team may be the best they can do on short notice if they decide that Ten Hag has to go. It's not about comparing the quality of coach head to head but how the performance is now and the current situation. Right now we are failing in every department so I honestly doubt it would be worse with Potter. I would be concerned about our attacking threat still definitely, but we should manage more control of games at least. It's not like Potter hasn't destroyed ETH tactically before anyway, things can change very quickly in football.

In the summer if it's not going that well INEOS can work on securing their top target. All theoretical anyway. Maybe Ten Hag will salvage something somehow to let Ratcliffe and INEOS give him the rest of the season.

ArmaDino

Imagine having a shot of hiring Ancelotti, but instead focusing on Potter, De Zebri and Lopetegui...

Amsterdam Devil

A reasonable inference from your claim, which I do not doubt, is that since Deschamps has extended his contract that Zidane may be waiting for a while. I still say impossible but if Deschamps is at the helm through the next WC isn't there a reasonable window now for Zidane to take this job and then take over the France NT job after 2026?
Yes could be. I understood that he doesn’t want to miss his chance and be tied up at a club, that his only real goal is to be coach of France, whenever it comes.

Amsterdam Devil

Imagine having a shot of hiring Ancelotti, but instead focusing on Potter, De Zebri and Lopetegui...
If Ancelotti doesn’t extend at Real he is going to the Brazil team I thought. They are waiting for him and haven’t signed a new permanent coach yet. Ancelotti said in 2022 that he would end his clubmanagement career after this last chapter at Real.

DickDastardly

Honestly he's the best realistic option of the ones mentioned, which isn't exactly hard considering one of them is Graham fecking Potter. Realistic is probably stretching it as Brighton would demand a world record fee which would also be used against him from day 1.

Then there's the whole step up thing. It's one thing doing well with Brighton. Graham fecking Potter did well with Brighton, the club is carefully set up to get the most out of every department. Low pressure, low risk and high reward job.

Whole different world at the big clubs. Who was the last manager from a mid level club to make the step up and succeed?
Yeah, but did he really?

15th, 16th, 9th in 3 seasons.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Potter with this squad has disaster written all over it.
I agree right now. If Ratcliffe, Blanc and who ever the football director might be, have a proper plan with the squad and recruitment, he could be a very good managerial appointment.

crossy1686

career ending
Potter with this squad has disaster written all over it.
He probably would be, but this has interim appointment written all over it just without the title. He'll be gone again in under a year when a better manager comes available or they've had time to source a quality manager. That's if Potter doesn't get something great out of the team, in which case he earns an extra 6 months or whatever. And let's face it, we're staring down the barrel of a double digit loss at Anfield at the weekend and I think we'd all like that kind of shit to stop yesterday.

matsdf

Are people expecting different results with a new coach? Will our players suddenly be able to string passes together?

crossy1686

career ending
Are people expecting different results with a new coach? Will our players suddenly be able to string passes together?
Yes, we are absolutely expecting different results with a different coach because for a start we'd stop being this open. The current manager has given up and is man marking in the midfield.

DickDastardly

De Zerbi just took over his team, if De Zerbi is doing well, it's got a hell of a lot to do with what Potter built.
Not convinced in that at all.

Potter wouldn't have never taken them that far. Graham reached his peak with that 9th place.

If we're looking at Brighton's managers, i'd take Roberto. His Shaktar team was scary good.

And if he could pull in Estupinan, March and Ferguson we'd be 3 vital spots better. LB, RW and CF.

Redstain

I'd also take De Zirbi if his philosophy falls in line with what the new DOF is aiming towards. Potter might be an easier appointment due to his circumstances but you would hope the club have a more long term view with another candidate. Either way no consideration should be given to Erik, he's been backed and is considerably worse, cannot play the football that essentially got him the position in the first place and is not getting the main players inside with himself and his ideas. It's a closed chapter.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Not convinced in that at all.

Potter wouldn't have never taken them that far. Graham reached his peak with that 9th place.

If we're looking at Brighton's managers, i'd take Roberto. His Shaktar team was scary good.

And if he could pull in Estupinan, March and Ferguson we'd be 3 vital spots better. LB, RW and CF.
Not really sure what "that far" means? 6th? why not? De Zerbi came in after Potters full pre-season and after Potter had beaten us at OT and then beat Leicester 5-2. Think you're completely underselling all the work Potter did and just attributing it all to De Zerbi.

Chumpsbechumps

I’d love De Zerbi, passionate, possession hungry, packs the midfield area, improves players.
We just can’t hire anybody who isn’t a big name because what invariably happens is that when things get tough a huge portion of the fanbase sh*t the bed and then use the lack of proven quality as irrefutable proof that they aren’t good enough.

DickDastardly

Not really sure what "that far" means? 6th? why not? De Zerbi came in after Potters full pre-season and after Potter had beaten us at OT and then beat Leicester 5-2. Think you're completely underselling all the work Potter did and just attributing it all to De Zerbi.
I might be.
I'm not saying i'm right, just a gut feeling.

I mean, he didn't get the sack from BHA, he left for Chelsea who sacked Tuchel who just beat us twice with ease.

Logically, it could make sense.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
If he does end up losing his job, which I think would be a mistake I’d like to see Rubin Amorim. His Sporting team is usually easy on eye and punching above their weight. So yeah, him if needs most.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I might be.
I'm not saying i'm right, just a gut feeling.

I mean, he didn't get the sack from BHA, he left for Chelsea who sacked Tuchel who just beat us twice with ease.

Logically, it could make sense.
That's fair enough and I actually think I posted a while about De Zerbi being a manager to look out for when he went from Sassuolo to Shaktar, because you're right, they were a good team. I just don't think we should undersell Potter's work and when when you now look at the shambles at Chelsea, I'm not sure we can pin it all on him.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I am pretty sure there are some young and talented managers we don't have on our radar. E.g. Rapid Vienna decided to not again go for a name connected to them or somebody who is well known within the Austrian football scene but ask Rangnick for his recommendation.
They hired a guy called Robert Klauß. Never heard of him before and there is no guarantee he will come good but I am convinced there are some interesting candidates with huge potential.
Potter, Lopetegui, Flick, Zidane - none of these names excites me.

Worst case: We keep Ten Hag for another year, Southgate wins the Euros and Ratcliff gives him the job. That's the day I will look for a new hobby.

IRONTUSK

Poch probably get`s the sack next month. Wouldn`t surprise me if we got him in the summer if there is still no improvement under ETH

RedUnited86

Whoever it is, they need to take no shit. Have a history of winning things, done well in Europe and play good football. Someone like..

Someone

Something
Never seen a manager as overrated as De Zerbi. The man has achieved nothing at the top level in his entire life.

Potter have failed at Chelsea and hiring him would be madness.

Lopetegui for the rest of the season if ETH gets sacked might not be a bad idea, but still not a long term solution.

Zidane might be tempted, and has the right personality for it, but will need some convincing.