Who replaces Ten Hag?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Again. The question is not who replaces him. The question is given his performance does he deserve to stay in the role?

Our job as fans isn’t to come up with some argument for who replaces him, but to judge a manager’s performance as good enough of not.
The question absolutely has to be who replaces him.

If you cannot reliably and confidently believe in an alternative that is available then you need to consider why.

RedRocket9908

Ten Hag is awful but our squad is nowhere near a title challange.
They arnt anywhere near a title challenge now but they were at the start of Ole's last season after finishing 2nd the season before and signing Sancho, Varane, and Ronaldo.

led_scholes

Again. The question is not who replaces him. The question is given his performance does he deserve to stay in the role?

Our job as fans isn’t to come up with some argument for who replaces him, but to judge a manager’s performance as good enough of not.
Well he is not. He has provided some good results and his legacy will be good if Garnacho, Mainoo and Hojlund manage to become dominant. But he has proved that he is far away from pep and klopp, even Arteta and Ange. He is not elite. 1.5 years later and we still play dross with only some sparkling periods.

I believe that if we did have a sensible recruitment plan, he would actually done a better job. But that is just an if.

Bwuk

I’d sack him now and get Ole back until the summer.

Re-assess the market then, although it’s very uninspiring. If we go with Potter I give up.

stevoc

I’ve been giving this an awful lot of thought and we need to be realistic, the club needs a new coach that they back for 2-3 years with the caveat that the team must finish top 5 which going forward will be champions league Qualification.

What’s left of this season is a fight for Europa League, we will not get 70+ points to get Top 4/5. If we finish with 65 points and end up 6th for this season and our current position that’s a huge win plus it gives the club a competition that they can use to develop players for the first team.

ETH is simply not the man, the drivel that he came out with after this game about in a race for fifth place, Jesus Eric your managing Man United and your out of your depth.

The next coach must play wining football, must have managed in the PL and finished in the top 3 at least, must have had recent European success, must be able to use the existing squad and get something out of the rest of the season.

Graham Potter and De Zerbie are not the answer, United need to find a manager that wins and wins quickly. Personally I’d sack ETH tonight and go get Conte on an 16/17 month contract. Tuchel is even more trouble and Mourinho would simply ignite the club too much with his park the bus football. Conte has had one bad season at spurs and in his head he was too big for spurs. He's coveted the United job for a decade, he finished in CL places three times and won the PL, Fa Cup.

He’s a winner, his football can be drab at times but he can also play attacking football. His default formation will be 343 or 3412 but he can play 4231

I’m not sure he’s the mid to long term option, maybe Naigelsman is the coach we should wait for this summer but right now I want the players to suffer and nobody makes them suffer more in training than conte!
Has United or any English club for that matter over the last decade ever used the Europa League to field a team with loads of youngsters? Are Liverpool doing that this year?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Possibly, though Wayne deserves better than our shower of shite.
Absolutely. No idea why we can’t just have a decent manager that knows what he’s doing and can get the best out of players. How hard can it be… we’ve seen teams like Villa and spurs over take us recently.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
They arnt anywhere near a title challenge now but they were at the start of Ole's last season after finishing 2nd the season before and signing Sancho, Varane, and Ronaldo.
City won the league by 21 points when we finished second, and we then finished 6th in the Rangnick season, with the squad Ten Hag inherited.

It's complete nonsense to suggest it should have challenged for the league, particularly as Sancho and Ronaldo were objectively terrible signings.

We finished 24 points behind City last season, which is about as close as Ole got.

van Nistelrooy

Never known a time during the manager-merry-go-round when there wasn't a single standout candidate.

We're best standing by Erik. Let's see how INEOS can help him with the squad in the summer.

Woziak

Has United or any English club for that matter over the last decade ever used the Europa League to field a team with loads of youngsters? Are Liverpool doing that this year?
Harry Kane amongst many came through in the Europa League, LvG gave Rashford his debut in the same competition and Liverpool have use marginal players in the Europa on many occasions. We are currently not good enough to play CL, we need a structured rebuild and People like John Murtough need to be sacked asap, they are part of the problem not the solution ?

RedRocket9908

City won the league by 21 points when we finished second, and we then finished 6th in the Rangnick season, with the squad Ten Hag inherited.

It's complete nonsense to suggest it should have challenged for the league, particularly as Sancho and Ronaldo were objectively terrible signings.

We finished 24 points behind City last season, which is about as close as Ole got.
City won it by 12 when we finished 2nd under Ole, we were top of the league in January but then lost at home to Sheff Utd and drew away to West Brom which if I remember correctly knocked us off the top, also I think we were only 6 points behind City who were top when the idiots got the Liverpool game postponed and forced us to have to play 2 games in 3 days in May both of which we lost.

DJ_21

I’ve been giving this an awful lot of thought and we need to be realistic, the club needs a new coach that they back for 2-3 years with the caveat that the team must finish top 5 which going forward will be champions league Qualification.

What’s left of this season is a fight for Europa League, we will not get 70+ points to get Top 4/5. If we finish with 65 points and end up 6th for this season and our current position that’s a huge win plus it gives the club a competition that they can use to develop players for the first team.

ETH is simply not the man, the drivel that he came out with after this game about in a race for fifth place, Jesus Eric your managing Man United and your out of your depth.

The next coach must play wining football, must have managed in the PL and finished in the top 3 at least, must have had recent European success, must be able to use the existing squad and get something out of the rest of the season.

Graham Potter and De Zerbie are not the answer, United need to find a manager that wins and wins quickly. Personally I’d sack ETH tonight and go get Conte on an 16/17 month contract. Tuchel is even more trouble and Mourinho would simply ignite the club too much with his park the bus football. Conte has had one bad season at spurs and in his head he was too big for spurs. He's coveted the United job for a decade, he finished in CL places three times and won the PL, Fa Cup.

He’s a winner, his football can be drab at times but he can also play attacking football. His default formation will be 343 or 3412 but he can play 4231

I’m not sure he’s the mid to long term option, maybe Naigelsman is the coach we should wait for this summer but right now I want the players to suffer and nobody makes them suffer more in training than conte!
Isn’t that what ETH has been getting criticised for lately? All these injuries are down to ETH training them to hard apparently. He makes them run to hard in training. Conte is a no go under Radcliffe, once they’ve decided on the style of play they said there not going to change it, there going to bring in managers to play that certain style. The days of having different managers that play different styles are long gone. The front runners for the job id say are De Zerbi and Nagelsmann. Nagelsmann is a gamble as he’d be new to the league but Klopp had never managed in the league or Guardiola before they came.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
City won it by 12 when we finished 2nd under Ole, we were top of the league in January but then lost at home to Sheff Utd and drew away to West Brom which if I remember correctly knocked us off the top, also I think we were only 6 points behind City who were top when the idiots got the Liverpool game postponed and forced us to have to play 2 games in 3 days in May.
Got my seasons mixed up, but no one who actually watched that season thought we were in a title race, and the squad Ten Hag inherited was certainly not one capable of a title challenge.

stevoc

One of the biggest criticisms of Ten Hag last year despite doing well was that he didn't seem to have a plan B. We went into every game playing largely the same way, which lead to us getting hammered more than once away from home.

The biggest criticism that could be levelled at him this season is we don't really seem to have a plan A. After almost 2 years with these players (And £500m+ spent on new ones) and there's no discernible style of play emerging, we seem to be struggling with the basics of defence or even having any sort of structure. If we're being honest we've actually regressed from Solskjaer's last full season and we're a worse team. Solskjaer deserved to be sacked when he was, Ten Hag could have been sacked at any point since Xmas and couldn't really complain. It's only the takeover process that's kept him in a job.

Anyone thinking he deserves another year or thinks he might actually get one is living in cloud cuckoo land. The club are probably just waiting for the clause in his contract that stipulates we can sack him for much less if he fails to get CL football to save a few quid.

AFC NimbleThumb

Well he is not. He has provided some good results and his legacy will be good if Garnacho, Mainoo and Hojlund manage to become dominant. But he has proved that he is far away from pep and klopp, even Arteta and Ange. He is not elite. 1.5 years later and we still play dross with only some sparkling periods.

I believe that if we did have a sensible recruitment plan, he would actually done a better job. But that is just an if.
I could be managing Manchester United & both Garnacho & Mainoo would break into the team whilst Hojlund cost £60mil plus. If after 18 months those 3 & ‘he has provided some good results’ is all you have to say about the manager then it epitomises how low people are setting the bar.

Ineos coming in doesn’t make his life easier, they’ll be demanding far better results than losing 16 of 30-odd games. You can put all the football structure around the man you like, the facts are we aren’t losing 3-1 to Citeh every week, we’re rudderless.

C'est Moi Cantona

Personally I think what Potter did at Brighton is more impressive than Nagelsmann at Hoffenheim or Motta at Bologna. And it was much of the same job that needs to be done at Man Utd.

People tend to favour those they dont know.
Really struggle with someone who has Potter's seemingly placid personality been a top manager, it might sound a bit daft, but it seems to me that as well as talent most top managers nowadays need a big character, and a slightly unhinged way about them.

Don't see Potter ever having this.

DJ_21

Gonna be an interesting summer… teams won’t be competing for players. They’ll be competing for managers. A few decent jobs available in the summer. A manager merry go round will happen

AFC NimbleThumb

The question absolutely has to be who replaces him.

If you cannot reliably and confidently believe in an alternative that is available then you need to consider why.
So I say Manager X & you say Manager Y. What exactly does that have to do with EtH losing 16 of 30-odd games?

We’ve minimal knowles compared to Ineos but if people are saying they can’t find someone to do better than EtH had this year then we may as well fold as a club.

No matter who’s he’s replaced with some fans will be hopeful & others pessimistic, you’d never replace a manager if everyone needed to ‘reliably and confidently believe in’ anything.

EtH has performed below what I would call minimum standards with this squad. He hasn’t been tasked with winning a league or even challenging but to be in a proper race for 4th which he isn’t. If the only defence for keeping him is that you can’t reliably & confidently feel something then that isn’t a justifiable reason for him to stay imo.

Wilt

Absolutely. No idea why we can’t just have a decent manager that knows what he’s doing and can get the best out of players. How hard can it be… we’ve seen teams like Villa and spurs over take us recently.
I think the ultimate blame has to be with the players. Overrated mercenaries who don’t give a toss for Utd so long as they can keep milking the club for as many £££’s as they can.

Massive clear out is the only answer.

crossy1686

career ending
Surely there’s better managers than potter out there. Why should it be a case of going for someone that’s free or available. We’re Man United ffs… whenever we come calling people jump at the chance to join. It’s a massive step up and one of the biggest challenges in the world…
Maybe there is but everyone is a gamble at this point due to where we are and the players we have. So it’s probably easier to get Potter in, let him struggle, build a team then get the best manager available when we’re ready to push for the league.

crossy1686

career ending
I’d sack him now and get Ole back until the summer.

Re-assess the market then, although it’s very uninspiring. If we go with Potter I give up.
We need a new manager today. Liverpool, Bayern and Barcelona are looking for managers as we speak, we can’t wait until the summer to see who’s left, we’ll end up with Poch…

OleGunnar20

I like the job Amorim has done at Sporting. He's meant to be popular in the dressing room and has a clear vision and style of play (said that second bit about ETH though, so who knows when they get here).

I guess the main issue would be whether our squad would have the players needed to fit his favoured 343? I think we do actually, and with the squad needing some major work anyway, if he's the man for us we can always move in this direction. Given the current squad I think something like this would be the best fit:

Onana
Varane - Martinez - Shaw
Dalot - Casemiro - Mainoo - Antony
Amad - Hojlund - Garnacho

Martinez moves forward into the hybrid CB/DM role as suited, with Varane & Shaw holding the back line. Antony could obviously be upgraded at LWB, but Amorim has form for converting wingers into wing backs previously and christ, its not like we can get any less out of him as things stand. Dalot would be ideal at RWB.

Casemiro could be upgraded for someone with fresher legs to help provide balance next to Mainoo, though I still think he's serviceable in the right setup. Mainoo's composure would be perfect for this controlling midfield role.

The front 3 is tricky I think. Amorim likes fluid players capable of close interplay, something our lot have not excelled at. Regardless I think Nacho and Hojlund are perfectly capable. Rashford I'm less sure about and get the feeling he'll be off in the summer anyway. Amad looks ideal for that kind of setup but who knows if he's good enough.

Overall I think that would work much better than our current 'system', whatever that might be, assuming Amorim had the impact he has at previous clubs. Varane, Casemiro, Antony, Shaw and Amad could provably be improved on relatively easily with some clever scouting. The issue more than this starting lineup would probably be squad depth, which is filled with all sorts of spare parts at the moment.

Is he experienced enough and the right character to handle the pressure? No idea. But I think he's one of the most talented coaches out there at the minute.

stevoc

Harry Kane amongst many came through in the Europa League, LvG gave Rashford his debut in the same competition and Liverpool have use marginal players in the Europa on many occasions. We are currently not good enough to play CL, we need a structured rebuild and People like John Murtough need to be sacked asap, they are part of the problem not the solution ?
Giving youngsters the odd game in any competition is fine. Granted you might not necessarily have been suggesting it but we definitely won't be using a European competition to field weakened teams full of youngsters. Which is an idea that comes up every time it looks like we might be in the EL the next season.

stevoc

I think the ultimate blame has to be with the players. Overrated mercenaries who don’t give a toss for Utd so long as they can keep milking the club for as many £££’s as they can.

Massive clear out is the only answer.
Another one?

lsd

The Oracle
What was the stat at the start of the game though, highest win % of any United manager???

Nonsense stats as it's based on games played and he has managed less games than any other manager by some distance too.

It's like saying Big Sam is statistically the best England manger in history

RORY65

The summer before he took over we signed Varane, Sancho, and Ronaldo and should have been challenging for the title but were mismanaged and had an awful season, Erik was given that squad and money to improve them further but got us nowhere near.
Varane cannot stay fit, Sancho isn't very good and Ronaldo was well past his best and wanted out before Ten Hag even arrived. That team still had Fred and McTominay starting in midfield and had De Gea in goal. The reality is a lot of work was needed to that squad he took over and unfortunately Ten Hag's signings didn't fix the significant number of issues and created new ones.

Silverman

If Ten Hag is let go, I'd say it'll be Nagelsmann. Simone Inzaghi or Bruno Amorin could be interesting options either.

Musclehead

Potter would be a massively underhwhelming appointment.

I'd rather stick it out for a 3rd season with Ten Hag. I have zero confidence in Potter being able to succeed.
After today, something needs to be done and sooner rather than later. Someone please tell me what the point is trying to get on a fast transition that keeps the 2 quickest guys back and on the sides? This was a train wreck and quite honestly an embarrassment! It looked like and FA game with a 3rd tier team. This is going downhill fast.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Nonsense stats as it's based on games played and he has managed less games than any other manager by some distance too.

It's like saying Big Sam is statistically the best England manger in history
:confused:

Moyes - 51 games (52.94% win rate)
ETH - 100 games (60% win rate)
LVG - 103 games (52.42% win rate)
Mourinho - 144 games (58.33% win rate)
Ole - 168 games (54.17% win rate)

He's managed double the amount of games Moyes has, basically the same as LVG and not that many less than Mourinho and Ole. Obviously you can't compare him to the likes of Fergie (whose win percentage is only fractionally behind) and Busby, but he can easily be compared to the other post-Fergie managers.

Honestly, points per game is a better way of judging it and that drops ETH back a bit (he has the highest percentage of wins but also the highest percentage of losses in the modern era). Mourinho is slightly ahead of him there (1.97 vs 1.92 points per game) but ETH's still ahead of the others.

Pscholes18

Gonna be an interesting summer… teams won’t be competing for players. They’ll be competing for managers. A few decent jobs available in the summer. A manager merry go round will happen
Exactly why INEOS need to make the right decision. Keep ETH and risk losing out on a lot of talented managers. Or pull the trigger and go out and get the absolute best manager for the job. If they keep ETH and back him properly as much as they can in 24/25 then it truly is on his shoulders.....I would expect a proper progressive attacking system, not this Ole football shite. No excuses then. Some hard decisions need to be made with players and ETH needs to go along with it.

croadyman

Nagelsmann’s my pick at the moment but l’m not confident on any picks at the moment. I wanted ETH but ever since that week we beat Barcelona and won the League Cup, it’s gone downhill.
Yep that's exactly when it went downhill

L1nk

Yeah it's probably too late for an interim. Only 11 games left. Push through to the end of the season and re-evaluate based on where we finish.
I think internally they'll make the decision before then, and it won't just be based on potential league finish.

croadyman

I think people judge Potter on what happened at Chelsea but in honesty that job was a poison chalice given everything that was going on around them at the time so he shouldnt be judged on that in any way.
Yes it was but I still saw zero evidence he could manage big egos. That's why I feel we need someone who can do that and play attractive style too

Gar&Nachos

I'd take a punt on Michael Carrick.

If it's too soon then Potter before Carrick to build a possession based ideology.

Carrick has learnt from SAF & LVG - it wouldn't surprise me if he became a top CDM/CM style manager.

Midfielders duty is to play a balance between attack and defence & this is why they tend to make good managers - they look out for the balance of a team.

aeh1991

Maybe too risky, but I'd rather take McKenna than Potter. Potter has the advantage of having proved himself at Brighton in the Premier League, but also failed hard at Chelsea, while McKenna hasn't got direct experience at that level yet, but knows the club better, as he has already worked with the team since the Mourinho days and worked before at the U-18. Potter might have learnt from his mistakes, but McKenna has spent much more time at the top level, albeit not as a head coach. It's hard to say which experience makes one more ready to coach a club like United.