Who replaces Ten Hag?

Crimson King

Not really, considering we’ve been linked with Southgate before.
It's always been a lazy link. He never gets seriously linked to Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool when they need a new manager, it's only United for some reason. It might make some sense if he was a former player or something, but he has no personal connection to the club whatsoever.

CM

Southgate would be the Mason Mount of managers.

Definitely stick with Ten Hag if they’re the options but I don’t believe that would be the case if Ineos are serious about becoming champions again
Harsh on Mason Mount

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’d probably go for Nagelsman but there isn’t a lot jumping out. It’s one reason I think ten hag will get a third season.

C'est Moi Cantona

A couple of months ago most people would have been happy enough with De Zerbi.

Personally I'd take him over anyone else that is seemingly going to be available this summer, overall he has done great at Brighton, and he has that bit of madness sort of aura about him that is seemingly needed from most top managers.

Part of me still wants to give Ten Hag more time though, but If Ineos have their mind made up already then we just need to get on with it, as there's going to be so manay top clubs looking for a manager this summer.

macheda14

Inzaghi seems to be dominating Serie A right now? Doesn’t seem to be spoken about much. Although we don’t have the squad for his 3-5-2.

I’d probably go for Nagelsman but there isn’t a lot jumping out. It’s one reason I think ten hag will get a third season.
He’s just joined Germany, I doubt he’d leave so soon. Especially with the Euros.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Inzaghi seems to be dominating Serie A right now? Doesn’t seem to be spoken about much.

He’s just joined Germany, I doubt he’d leave so soon. Especially with the Euros.
Inzaghi: probably because Serie A at this point isn't a particularly strong league so he'd represent just as much of a risk as a guy from Eredivisie.

Nagelsmann: fairly sure his contract is only running through the Euros. There are no plans for him to continue after that.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Inzaghi seems to be dominating Serie A right now? Doesn’t seem to be spoken about much. Although we don’t have the squad for his 3-5-2.

He’s only got a deal until after the tournament. Not ideal for us though. I imagine if we waited until Ten Hag’s contract is up the summer after he’d be taken already.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The Southgate link is obviously nonsense. Also if it was true, it would basically instantly kill any hope under the new ownership and make me think we are just going for Brexit FC. Southgate shouldn't be in any list.

I'm hoping for De Zerbi personally.

The Hilton

A couple of months ago most people would have been happy enough with De Zerbi.

Personally I'd take him over anyone else that is seemingly going to be available this summer, overall he has done great at Brighton, and he has that bit of madness sort of aura about him that is seemingly needed from most top managers.

Part of me still wants to give Ten Hag more time though, but If Ineos have their mind made up already then we just need to get on with it, as there's going to be so manay top clubs looking for a manager this summer.
I think "most people" might be a bit generous, he was flavour of the month after a good season with Brighton but it's a big step up from there to a big club as demonstrated by Potter having the worst points per game record of any manager in Chelsea's history.

I agree with your last sentence though, the INEOS regime seem to be bringing in smart people on the footballing side with the intention of building a sporting structure that will set our managers up for success, so I'll get behind whoever they bring in, even if I have my doubts. The one thing I do worry about is whether the fanbase will have patience, especially if we're looking at a drastic change in style; it's gonna take a few transfer windows and several nasty beatings before we're a well drilled possession side.

mu4c_20le

Because dominating Serie A usually just means their team is the least corrupt at the moment

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
At the moment De Zerbi is being considered by a lot of big clubs by the sounds of it. I think they can see past the results with a limited squad and look at the type of football and the level of coaching he's delivered there.

I could absolutely imagine posters complaining about being linked with him now, then criticising INEOS etc when he's doing great with Liverpool or the like.

Cerberus

Not really, considering we’ve been linked with Southgate before.
Be serious. Southgate's name was thrown in there to wind people up. You really think Ineos and their team are going to come in talking about getting the best in class only to shortlist someone who last managed at the club level for Middlesborough in 2009?

macheda14

His contract is up after the Euros.
Inzaghi: probably because Serie A at this point isn't a particularly strong league so he'd represent just as much of a risk as a guy from Eredivisie.

Nagelsmann: fairly sure his contract is only running through the Euros. There are no plans for him to continue after that.
He’s only got a deal until after the tournament. Not ideal for us though. I imagine if we waited until Ten Hag’s contract is up the summer after he’d be taken already.
Aaah I thought that could be the case but still not ideal, we’d definitely want someone in place for summer BUT, if we had a proper recruitment system in place then realistically it shouldn’t matter. Although I don’t see that system being truly functional until next summer.

C'est Moi Cantona

I think "most people" might be a bit generous, he was flavour of the month after a good season with Brighton but it's a big step up from there to a big club as demonstrated by Potter having the worst points per game record of any manager in Chelsea's history.

I agree with your last sentence though, the INEOS regime seem to be bringing in smart people on the footballing side with the intention of building a sporting structure that will set our managers up for success, so I'll get behind whoever they bring in, even if I have my doubts. The one thing I do worry about is whether the fanbase will have patience, especially if we're looking at a drastic change in style; it's gonna take a few transfer windows and several nasty beatings before we're a well drilled possession side.
The easy answer to that is no, it just won't happen.

You could argue this case for Ten Hag now, he has been dealt a really tough hand in his first two seasons at United, but he did well in his first season, and is now doing badly, so most fans think they have seen enough and want to move on, if we were been fair we'd give him the benefit of the doubt this season, let him have the summer window, and see what he can do with top football people running the club.

But the reality is he will likely be gone, and the exact same thing will happen to the next guy unless they get it right quickly.

As has been mentioned alot of times Potter can't be judged on his time at Chelsea, but I would still choose De Zerbi over him, if just on personality alone, and I can't think of a proven top manager we could get/want, so it has to be a manager that is taking big step up really.

stevoc

Terrible attitude.

There's no point in changing ETH for changes sake.

Change ETH if there is someone that can potentially change united into a title winning side.

Potter, Southgate and De Zerbi for example have shown nothing to suggest they can manage a club like united.

Our next appointment needs to be the right one or we might as well write off the next 2/3 years and then the cycle repeats.

Now if someone on the level of ancellotte becomes available then that's different.

But just changing the manager for any old manager just so it's ETH is gone is a terrible idea and hope INEOS don't have an Outlook that comes close to that attitude
Doesn't look like Erik is capable of winning a title, in fact it doesn't look like Erik is capable of even building a consistent side or implementing any sort of coherent style of football. So we might as well roll the dice and try to improve by hiring a potentially better coach. You can't have the logic of ''Well we can't hire Klopp or Guardiola, might as well stick with the current guy who's failing.''

Very rarely can a failing coach turn things around, squad morale looks to be low. The players might say they are behind the manager but performances don't exactly paint that picture.

The Hilton

The easy answer to that is no, it just won't happen.

You could argue this case for Ten Hag now, he has been dealt a really tough hand in his first two seasons at United, but he did well in his first season, and is now doing badly, so most fans think they have seen enough and want to move on, if we were been fair we'd give him the benefit of the doubt this season, let him have the summer window, and see what he can do with top football people running the club.

But the reality is he will likely be gone, and the exact same thing will happen to the next guy unless they get it right quickly.

As has been mentioned alot of times Potter can't be judged on his time at Chelsea, but I would still choose De Zerbi over him, if just on personality alone, and I can't think of a proven top manager we could get/want, so it has to be a manager that is taking big step up really.
I agree a lot of the fans won't have the patience, whoever takes over will be taking over a similar situation that Ten Hag did (although definitely further along when everyone is fully fit), and will have to either adopt the mid block that this squad is good at, or push through with a stylistic change which will take time, and some drubbings, to put into place.

I don't really agree that Potter can't be judged on his time at Chelsea - it isn't a fair representation of what he's capable of, but it does show that he wasn't able to get a tune out of a squad that isn't suited to his football (which is exactly what he'd have here to start with and for a couple of seasons). There are also question marks about his ability to handle the egos there. I'll get behind him if INEOS bring him in, as it's feasible he could get us into good shape if given the support from the footballing department, but I'll be worried for him as some of our fans have the knives out for a manager with the best win rate in our clubs history, lord only knows how unpopular Potter would be if he emulates his time at Chelsea here.

As for De Zerbi, I'm not at all convinced. He did well with Brighton last season, but it remains to be seen if his style is sustainable with the additional workload of European football, and isn't currently looking good. They also appear to be much more defensively vulnerable. But to be honest, while I'd rather give ETH more time under the new regime, which I suspect will be much more supportive, I'll get behind any manager they bring in as long as it's done with a long term plan in mind, working towards a vision of how we want to play and with alternatives and succession planning in place.

Amir

Anyone we get who isn't a Guardiola or a Klopp would be a risk, whether he comes from a weaker league or a smaller club in England. Whether it's De Zerbi or Xabi Alonso.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Anyone we get who isn't a Guardiola or a Klopp would be a risk, whether he comes from a weaker league or a smaller club in England. Whether it's De Zerbi or Xabi Alonso.
I agree, I just think that's the reason Inzaghi is being mentioned with less frequency than managers from the Premier League or Bundesliga.

Chairman Steve

I worry De Zerbi is a flavour of the month manager and may not be up to it, but maybe with the support structure we’re putting in place we can make it work. He certainly wouldn’t work in our decade old way of trying to shove someone in the Sir Alex Ferguson shaped hole.

I do love his ‘Jeremy Irons with Italian accent’ voice though.

Teja

It's a good time to play the "what would City do game". Luckily we know the answer because we got the guy from City :lol:

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I'm pretty accepting of the possibility, or probability, that the next guy we get won't be the one to take us back to the heights (ie, European challenger). Our squad is a complete mess and all the new hires we're bringing in to hopefully make our structure the slightest bit competent don't start until the summer, at earliest. My priority on the manager front is someone able to make us comfortable and threatening in possession, and willing to do whatever necessary to get us there rather than pragmatically cop-out. If they have flaws that mean the results aren't where we need them long term, fine, just at least get us pointing in the right direction.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I'm pretty accepting of the possibility, or probability, that the next guy we get won't be the one to take us back to the heights (ie, European challenger). Our squad is a complete mess and all the new hires we're bringing in to hopefully make our structure the slightest bit competent don't start until the summer, at earliest. My priority on the manager front is someone able to make us comfortable and threatening in possession, and willing to do whatever necessary to get us there rather than pragmatically cop-out. If they have flaws that mean the results aren't where we need them long term, fine, just at least get us pointing in the right direction.
That's why De Zerbi might not be a bad choice. He's uncompromising on how he plays and he always gets his teams drilled well to carry this out. The step he will need to take to become a title winning manager is finding a way to be stronger defensively and he might even have to be more pragmatic at times, once he has his team well drilled in how he would normally like to play.

USREDEVIL

We better clean house with these players regardless of whether we bring in a new manager.
Remove the older pricier players, those not good enough, and those not giving their all. We cant do it all in one window, but the more the merrier out the door.

NoPace

That's why De Zerbi might not be a bad choice. He's uncompromising on how he plays and he always gets his teams drilled well to carry this out. The step he will need to take to become a title winning manager is finding a way to be stronger defensively and he might even have to be more pragmatic at times, once he has his team well drilled in how he would normally like to play.
Yeah, it's hard to hate as a short or long-term move, so the floor on it seems high.

He was hired by Shaktar and Brighton who are both smarter than us and if he's a relative failure because he can't get the team to defend but gets them used to playing decent football, that looks like what, Villas Boas at Spurs? As bad as that sounds, they did okay (for them) under Sherwood right after and then hired Pochettino and were genuinely good (for them, though worth keeping in mind they made some good buys and had a pretty strong group of 12-13 players (poor depth though) by then).

It's the opposite of hiring Mourinho or Conte, that's gotta count for something.

NoPace

I agree, I just think that's the reason Inzaghi is being mentioned with less frequency than managers from the Premier League or Bundesliga.
I think it's also that we'd need a ton of new CBs and a LWB to play his 3-5-2. And I'm not sure Garnacho would fit in it at all as a striker. Kinda think it would suit Mainoo nicely, though. Definitely suits Onana but 4 at the back should work for him too. Dalot, Hojlund and Lisandro probably decent fits. I forget Mount is on the team but should suit him well. Bruno I have no idea, but probably.

If we stay 4 at the back, don't think it really hurts anyone from the group of 6-8 guys you'd figure will be key members of the team the next 5 years, though maybe Lisandro would be even better and I would have said Hojlund, but he looks comfortable enough as a lone striker considering his age.

Watching Leipzig today, I had Ralf flashbacks, as a lot of our guys would seem to fit a 4-2-2-2 okay (Hojlund, Bruno, Mount, Mainoo and Dalot in particular), though it's still a question mark for Garnacho and I think maybe Lisandro would be better off with a proper DM in place rather than a double pivot in front of him. It is a nice way out of the Mount buy being a mistake (he suddenly looks a standard buy as one of 3 guys competing/rotating to be the 2 #10s in the half space along with Bruno and probably a new signing), but obviously that's not a serious reason to do anything.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
We need a manager that commands the respect of his players and knows how to motivate them.

Camilo

It doesn't have to be a world beating manager, it just has to be an exciting manager with enthusiasm and ideas. I don't know if that's De Zerbi (I haven't paid enough attention).

We might well still finish 6th conceding a shit ton of goals, but so be it. Either we go Jose, or we go adventurous. Or we get Pep. Dems the options!

Steve Bruce

Doesn't look like Erik is capable of winning a title, in fact it doesn't look like Erik is capable of even building a consistent side or implementing any sort of coherent style of football. So we might as well roll the dice and try to improve by hiring a potentially better coach. You can't have the logic of ''Well we can't hire Klopp or Guardiola, might as well stick with the current guy who's failing.''

Very rarely can a failing coach turn things around, squad morale looks to be low. The players might say they are behind the manager but performances don't exactly paint that picture.
My point isn't about if ETH can win the league, it's the point that the likes of Potter and De Zerbi would be no better. So there's no point we might as well let ETH run his contract down and by then hopefully we'll have better options to choose from.

Not only that Bayarn, Liverpool & Barcelona are all looking new managers. We'd be below them in the pecking order for any manager.

We bring in De zerbi or Potter. We. Might as well throw millions into the fire. They're not good enough.

didz

De Zerbi's teams do one thing and they do it well. They bait the press, beat it, and end up with numbers forward. When they can't bait the press, they're pretty dull. When they meet a press they can't beat, they're pretty calamitous. This is a big part of why Brighton haven't strung two positive results together in months, why Shakhtar couldn't get a win in a CL group containing Sheriff Tiraspol, and why the biggest Series A clubs didn't seriously consider De Zerbi after Sassualo.

He's not very adaptable, his team's don't do well defensively, and he makes the kind of selection choices that would see him absolutely torn apart here. Having one really nice string to your bow is great for entering the evermore important flavour of the month pageant, but you very rarely see it work out for managers at bigger clubs.

redcucumber

De Zerbi's teams do one thing and they do it well. They bait the press, beat it, and end up with numbers forward. When they can't bait the press, they're pretty dull. When they meet a press they can't beat, they're pretty calamitous. This is a big part of why Brighton haven't strung two positive results together in months, why Shakhtar couldn't get a win in a CL group containing Sheriff Tiraspol, and why the biggest Series A clubs didn't seriously consider De Zerbi after Sassualo.

He's not very adaptable, his team's don't do well defensively, and he makes the kind of selection choices that would see him absolutely torn apart here. Having one really nice string to your bow is great for entering the evermore important flavour of the month pageant, but you very rarely see it work out for managers at bigger clubs.
You don't think they'd hire him right now if they had the chance, Inter aside? Somebody was saying earlier (I think it was an Italian poster) that there's a conversation going on in Italy about which direction the national team ought to go in. Either sticking with the old school (Capello) or moving with the modern approach (De Zerbi). So it's not like he's not regarded there.

But also, what are people's expectations for a new manager? There's no ideal candidate out there that isn't going to be some sort of a compromise. We've tried the 'winner' approach (both of whom came with baggage and way past their prime), we've tried the likeable former player approach (who had failed in the PL before but was great as an interim), we've tried the winner in a lesser league that is potentially on the cusp of being the next elite manager approach (who felt like a sure thing). I'm not expecting the next manager to have us immediately challenging for titles. Getting us playing exciting football with a clear blueprint of how the team can progress is enough at this point.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I was thinking Nagelsman as he used to be so highly rated. But sadly he’s only just taken up the German job.

Lots of talk regarding De Zirbi but Brighton are just having an okay season. Not sure if that’s the sort of manager who is ready for such a huge job.

DavelinaJolie

I was thinking Nagelsman as he used to be so highly rated. But sadly he’s only just taken up the German job.

Lots of talk regarding De Zirbi but Brighton are just having an okay season. Not sure if that’s the sort of manager who is ready for such a huge job.
Nagelsman's contract is only til the end of the Euros though. Obviously it still puts a spanner into the works if he was interested because the club will have the navigate the summer without a manager mostly (though I'm sure they'd be in regular contact).

Personally I don't think it's that big a deal, this is going to be a multi-year project to rebuild the team.

stevoc

My point isn't about if ETH can win the league, it's the point that the likes of Potter and De Zerbi would be no better. So there's no point we might as well let ETH run his contract down and by then hopefully we'll have better options to choose from.

Not only that Bayarn, Liverpool & Barcelona are all looking new managers. We'd be below them in the pecking order for any manager.

We bring in De zerbi or Potter. We. Might as well throw millions into the fire. They're not good enough.
And you know that for a fact?

If Bayern, Liverpool and Barca are more attractive destinations (debateable) fine. We should then go for the next best available manager who's style of play suits what the club want to implement. At least then the foundations will start being laid for building a team and style of play. For me Erik has shown he probably isn't capable of doing that going off his 2 seasons here.

And Ten Hag almost certainly isn't good enough either, if we keep him on we're taking a big risk. Let's be honest we probably won't win anything next year or even come top 4 with ETH. No CL football 2 years in a row will cost the club more than sacking a manager.