Who replaces Ten Hag?

daba

Bologna are well placed for a Champions League spot, which is incredible for them, but they still have ways to go until the end of the season.
That’s what I meant by tangible (which might be a bad way of describing it) as it’s not a competition they can win outright come end of the season. For example, someone like Amorim is fighting with Benfica for the league and is still in Europa I believe, so there’s no chance he leaves with that still to play for.

Yes, it would look great for Motta to get that over the line and on his CV but if we asked him to start earlier to set himself up better for his first season im sure he could be tempted.

AneRu

Inzaghi is the best of those four on paper IMO but I think he's unattainable; he has a good thing going at Inter and would be foolish to leave. I also like Motta a lot, but also don't think he'd come here when he basically has the pick of clubs in Italy. I like Nagelsmann a lot and he would probably be my first choice of the four, but at best we're not getting him in until post-WC which is not great. Amirom feels like a big unknown to me, especially having never managed outside of Portugal; if anyone can direct me to an analysis of his quality and management style that'd be great.

Frankly, all options seem to be unattainable or not that inspiring...
It's still Manchester United
New billionaire, new project and a chance to join in early and get your ideas across.
It's the PL, the real big time in Sports and a chance to go toe to toe with the best. Could be scary but could be real motivating too.
With the Glazer clowns in charge we didn't have anyone with access to these people but we now have Blanc, Berrada and Ashworth. We now have people that can sell the club and the project to him. We have a chance on anyone bar Alonso and Zidane.

renatosanches85

Inzaghi is the only option in my opinion. He has a great body of work behind him, transforming Lazio. When he got the inter job he took them to the CL final and is now 15 points clear in Serie A. He has done this without a huge budget, some clever free transfers like Sanchez, Thuram, Calhanoglu, Mkitaryan. How fans would react to a possible rocky start with a 5 man defence would be interesting, especially considering how that went under Louis.

Lyng

Inzaghi is the only option in my opinion. He has a great body of work behind him, transforming Lazio. When he got the inter job he took them to the CL final and is now 15 points clear in Serie A. He has done this without a huge budget, some clever free transfers like Sanchez, Thuram, Calhanoglu, Mkitaryan. How fans would react to a possible rocky start with a 5 man defence would be interesting, especially considering how that went under Louis.
I agree with you. But getting Inzaghi in the summer would be a perfect timing in my opinion, given the news about us basically doing a firesale. Inzaghi has such a clear philosophy so we can get players that match that. Its also not reliant on pace which I think is a massive boon right now.
I am also quite certain the likes of Licha, Dalot, Garnacho, Mainoo and Højlund would have no issues working in that system.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
His body of work does look good. Won a decent number of cups, took Inter to the CL final and now is set to win the league with them in his third season. I would like to see us play a 343/3512 formation, but is his football easy on the eye? Is the intent attacking or does it lean more on the pragmatic side?

Woziak

It's still Manchester United
New billionaire, new project and a chance to join in early and get your ideas across.
It's the PL, the real big time in Sports and a chance to go toe to toe with the best. Could be scary but could be real motivating too.
With the Glazer clowns in charge we didn't have anyone with access to these people but we now have Blanc, Berrada and Ashworth. We now have people that can sell the club and the project to him. We have a chance on anyone bar Alonso and Zidane.
I think we genuinely have a chance with Zidane, he’s very close to Jean Claude Blanc even though they were not at Juventus together, Blanc wanted Zidane to manage PSG, he’s still not employed three years after his last job. He’s ready, he would accept Juventus as he speaks Italian, he would only manage Real Madrid and the other option is Man United or Bayern.

ZZ is a huge Paul Scholes fan, he would get PS involved as well I think which would be a master stroke if he ever decided to manage Man United, yes his English is not good but he is an elite manager.

Eddy_JukeZ

Zidane is an incredible manager and someone who I think gets grossly underrated.

But I'd rather hire someone who's completely devoted to having their teams consistently play on the front foot, wanting to dominate the ball and territorially.

Zidane isn't really like that.

Rista

We're in the same situation as we've been the past 10 years. Appointing a new manager isn't going to solve anything, unless it's Sir Alex Ferguson reincarnated or Pep Guardiola reincarnated, or Klopp. There are no manager of that caliber available. A manager that will improve everyone by just their sheer presence just doesn't exist. We need a manager who is here to stay, the base of the team and TIME to show the players they HAVE to perform, or they're out. No more player-power whining and complaining and getting their boss sacked because they suck and can't be arsed to put some effort in.

What we have to do is to stick with one manager while appointing capable, ambitious people in the administrative positions. Just changing managers won't solve nothing. I think Ten Hag deserves a shot at this in a functional system. Inzaghi, Southgate, Nagelsmann or Tuchel are nothing special. We might as well just stay with Ten Hag for now.
This is exactly the backwards mentality that is partly responsible for where we are right now. We most certainly do not need another "messiah" who is going to stay for a decade. It's not how it works, it's not how football works. There is a reason no top club operates like that. The managers who stay longer time do it because they earned it with results, not because clubs planned on keeping them no matter what. The whole idea of fighting "player power" by simply keeping a manager for a long time is so ridiculous. We need a manager who is going to be a coach first and foremost. Saying changing managers will not solve anything is like saying replacing Antony is not going to change anything.

izec

Sticking with a manager is fine, if he shows he deserves more time. ETH is not that guy. 2 seasons and plenty of money, we are still not better than when he took over. Not by one metric.

AndySmith1990

We're in the same situation as we've been the past 10 years. Appointing a new manager isn't going to solve anything, unless it's Sir Alex Ferguson reincarnated or Pep Guardiola reincarnated, or Klopp. There are no manager of that caliber available. A manager that will improve everyone by just their sheer presence just doesn't exist. We need a manager who is here to stay, the base of the team and TIME to show the players they HAVE to perform, or they're out. No more player-power whining and complaining and getting their boss sacked because they suck and can't be arsed to put some effort in.

What we have to do is to stick with one manager while appointing capable, ambitious people in the administrative positions. Just changing managers won't solve nothing. I think Ten Hag deserves a shot at this in a functional system. Inzaghi, Southgate, Nagelsmann or Tuchel are nothing special. We might as well just stay with Ten Hag for now.
A lot of words to basically argue that Ten Hag is the absolute best manager outside of Klopp and Guardiola.

I mean, there's not much you can say to that

renatosanches85

His body of work does look good. Won a decent number of cups, took Inter to the CL final and now is set to win the league with them in his third season. I would like to see us play a 343/3512 formation, but is his football easy on the eye? Is the intent attacking or does it lean more on the pragmatic side?
I think it’s both, he’s pragmatic when he needs to be but they have blown some good teams away this season as well.

AneRu

I think we genuinely have a chance with Zidane, he’s very close to Jean Claude Blanc even though they were not at Juventus together, Blanc wanted Zidane to manage PSG, he’s still not employed three years after his last job. He’s ready, he would accept Juventus as he speaks Italian, he would only manage Real Madrid and the other option is Man United or Bayern.

ZZ is a huge Paul Scholes fan, he would get PS involved as well I think which would be a master stroke if he ever decided to manage Man United, yes his English is not good but he is an elite manager.
Zidane, whilst very successful, is an unknown quantity regarding his ability to imprint a tactical identity on a team. He is the kind of guy you give a team of winners and he can manage the egos because of his stature in the game but I wouldn't trust him to lead a tactical revolution at a rudderless side like United. A side like Bayern would be ideal for him.

Suedesi

He was okay ish at Lazio if I'm not mistaken and killing it this year with Inter. Think he has some more way to go for proving himself. Same goes for the other Serie A coaches.

edit - I take this back. He won a few cups with Lazio and brought them to CL qualification.

With Inter he won the double, some other cups and of course went to the CL final.
Simone Inzaghi might win the CL this year. Inter look super solid.

Suedesi

He's the coach, the Director of Football, Giuseppe Marotta (ex-Juve) directs which players to buy/sell under the budget set by the President. Inzaghi gets credit for the setup, but the transfer activity is largely out of his hands.

I think there's a direct correlation between Marotta leaving Juve and joining Inter and the fortunes of those two clubs changing over the last few years.

Woziak

Zidane, whilst very successful, is an unknown quantity regarding his ability to imprint a tactical identity on a team. He is the kind of guy you give a team of winners and he can manage the egos because of his stature in the game but I wouldn't trust him to lead a tactical revolution at a rudderless side like United. A side like Bayern would be ideal for him.
I don’t disagree with this but if he wants it we could do a lot worse Varane and Casemiro would stay for sure, whether that’s an advantage I’m not so sure ?

Fts 74

Genuine question, after what Sir Jim said about them setting the template for how Utd will play going forward, would someone like Inzaghi if we went all in on how he plays/sets up be easily replaced with someone with a similar philosophy if it didn't work out for him?

Redivy

Genuine question, after what Sir Jim said about them setting the template for how Utd will play going forward, would someone like Inzaghi if we went all in on how he plays/sets up be easily replaced with someone with a similar philosophy if it didn't work out for him?
I think the majority of the forum is missing this point entirely. We are not going to go after the best resume, but the best candidate for a particular play style.

Inzaghi in my opinion is easily the best coach in Europe outside of Pep/Klopp in this current season, however, do people expect the club to adopt the Italian style of play long term?
The answer to that is maybe, but very doubtful.

If we go down the Nagelsmann route, then that would tell me we’re looking at the Redbull/Rangnick style approach long term.High intensity, gegenpressing, transition football. Theres also a lot of coaches who play this way now, so it would allow for a lot of continuity long term.

We could go down a possession style and look for coaches such as Michel from Girona, or De Zerbi. This would be a real statement of intent if the club goes down this path, as you’d need to pour 300-500m over the next 24 months to bring in players to play this style of football. I highly doubt we will choose to go for this style of play.

It would make more sense for people to identity what style of play they enjoy and then their list of candidates for that role. As opposed to making lists of 5 candidates who play opposite styles.

Whichever way the clubs goes, it might be a case of we first being in a coach to start shifting the club in that direction and then waiting for a more elite manager to come available. Similar to City going with Mancini and Pellegrini before Pep came in.

NLunited

Girona‘s style has a lot of overlap with ours: they are just way better at it right now.

I think the German gegenpressing exponents are also a good match, if things don‘t improve with Ten Hag.

L1nk

Have a horrible feeling that if it happens it's going to be Potter. I'd rather we go elsewhere like Nagelsmann or Amorim personally.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Do his team’s play conservative football? If so I wouldn’t be interested. We need a manager to come in and implement front foot possession football - it will take but if supported fully by the executives and recruitment, would bear fruits 2 or 3 years on.

amolbhatia50k

He's the coach, the Director of Football, Giuseppe Marotta (ex-Juve) directs which players to buy/sell under the budget set by the President. Inzaghi gets credit for the setup, but the transfer activity is largely out of his hands.

I think there's a direct correlation between Marotta leaving Juve and joining Inter and the fortunes of those two clubs changing over the last few years.
Good, we can also follow the same model then. We don’t need managers playing football manager. But we do need one who can coach a team and is synch with that recruitment team / dof.

Affirmation

Do his team’s play conservative football? If so I wouldn’t be interested. We need a manager to come in and implement front foot possession football - it will take but if supported fully by the executives and recruitment, would bear fruits 2 or 3 years on.
That's the biggest myth that somehow has become an assumption. Simone Inzaghi's team's are well adaptable, but play some of, if not the best style of football currently. They are centered on being able to play it out from anywhere on the pitch, with quick transitions and lightening attacks.

Teja

I have an irrational hatred for 3 ATB systems. I think it comes from LvG days or maybe from Tuchel's Chelsea or Nuno's Wolves. Is there a side that plays an attacking 5-3-2 to draw inspiration from?

amolbhatia50k

That's the biggest myth that somehow has become an assumption. Simone Inzaghi's team's are well adaptable, but play some of, if not the best style of football currently. They are centered on being able to play it out from anywhere on the pitch, with quick transitions and lightening attacks.
It wasn’t an assumption but a question given I don’t know anything about him as a manager

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I have an irrational hatred for 3 ATB systems. I think it comes from LvG days or maybe from Tuchel's Chelsea or Nuno's Wolves. Is there a side that plays an attacking 5-3-2 to draw inspiration from?
3 at the back doesn't necessarily mean 532. Nagelsmann's Bayern for example played a kind of 3241 at times which was super aggressive and attacking.

Affirmation

It wasn’t an assumption but a question given I don’t know anything about him as a manager
I know, I should have made it clear that it wasn't meaning specifically you. I just see this a lot in general when it comes to the suggestion of him being the next manager.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Of the bosses who have won things Nagelsmann for me is the best option. An Inzaghi would entail another complete 360 degree turn in footballing direction. On top of us simply not having a squad that can operate in a 3-5-2 that Inzaghi employs
Squad is not a problem, you don't need a lot of changes to build for a 352. A few yes, but you will do transfers anyway.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Squad is not a problem, you don't need a lot of changes to build for a 352. A few yes, but you will do transfers anyway.
You need 4 quality wing backs and 4 strikers to play Inzaghi's way. We currently have only 1 natural wing back and one natural reliable striker.

Wingbacks and strikers are not reasonably priced these days.

3-5-2 is also an entirely alien way to playing in a back 4 system. Yet we have a squad predominantly used to operating in back 4s.

Yet the biggest obstacle will be the fans themselves. Who pride themselves on the club's tradition of wingers

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
United aren't going to play 352. That's not our ethos, I'm quite sure Ratcliffe would be against it.

ManRed

Serious question - why is Erik failing to build a style of play? Last season we knew what we were getting and it has been flat throughout. Is it the players? His poor signings? Is it Erik himself?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Serious question - why is Erik failing to build a style of play? Last season we knew what we were getting and it has been flat throughout. Is it the players? His poor signings? Is it Erik himself?
Rashford isn't scoring at the same rate to bail him out of games.

brontelicious

Could be a mammoth injury crisis depriving him
of key personnel.

This isn't a rebuke. There being 'key personnel' is a significant problem. Should be stocked in every department with reserves raring to go.

Team picking itself lately which is rarely a good sign.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Injuries are the first major factor. Second was attempting too soon to change his set up to the ideal way to play that he wants for his version of a United side.

His side in season one had not mastered the stable double pivot with and inverted full back system of play. Yet this year he switched to a doubly agressive and riskier system. A learning curve that has proved too steep for the current squad amidst an injury plague to key players.

AndySmith1990

Could be a mammoth injury crisis depriving him
of key personnel.

This isn't a rebuke. There being 'key personnel' is a significant problem. Should be stocked in every department with reserves raring to go.

Team picking itself lately which is rarely a good sign.
The team was picking itself last season too, where Ten Hag refused to rotate and ran everyone into the ground

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He was okay ish at Lazio if I'm not mistaken and killing it this year with Inter. Think he has some more way to go for proving himself. Same goes for the other Serie A coaches.

edit - I take this back. He won a few cups with Lazio and brought them to CL qualification.

With Inter he won the double, some other cups and of course went to the CL final.
Seriously, how can you argue that ETH is the right man for us and then try to say Simone Inzaghi needs to prove himself further?