Who replaces Ten Hag?

RuudTom83

The supporters wanting EtH out! might reconsider if they see Gareth coming in!

Lock the front door at Carrington and boarder up the windows.

onemanarmy

International management is usually where managers go to retire. Southgate is still young however, and used international football to reinvent himself.
Usually, but not always. Belgian's new manager, Tedesco, has been a breath of fresh air. Introducing a ton of young players, good results, good tactics. He's only 38 and has been the manager of Schalke, Spartak and RB Leipzig. From what I've seen, I wouldn't be totally against taking a punt at him, maybe if ETH doesn't work out next year.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
You’d think after the complete ass-backwards evaluation of PE Teachers, cone setters - Carrick and McKenna that this forum would learn that they actually know feck all about coaching, if Ashworth believes Southgate is the man, then trust him.

It’s incredible that our most successful national team manager is met with such disrespect and disgust, it actually saddens me.

Fans want this Fifa like manager where we dick teams 6-0 every week or if they’re not Pep they’re shite. EtH was the flavour of the month once.

You say we had the easiest route to the final and anyone could have done it, but anyone didn’t do it Southgate & you got to beat what’s in front of you.

Is he a cup manager or is he more of a league manager? Only time will tell, but this utter disrespect for our most successful England manager never ceases to disgust me.

I hold the belief that even if he won the WC and the Euros he’d still be met with a terrible attitude from the fans.

Newstyle

This.
I cant see us changing manager this season for several reasons.

They need to set a club strategy that managers can fit into, not the other way around, for starters.
A strategy for the next 20 years+.

We need to clear out and buy new players to fit that strategy long term.
Our youth team and reserves should reflect said strategy.
And we need to set up a transfer policy with the right people, that makes us buy the right players for the right reasons.

If INEO's can manage that, without using heaps on money on the wrong players and manager, we can start challenging again.

I would keep ETH next season, and if he is able to show something different thats a good thing, but i personally dont think he will.
We play horrible football atm, even if results say otherwise.
You are correct with the strategy and what needs to be implemented. It is for this sole reason Ineos and Ashworth will want to have their own Coach to give time to build this.

hobbers

You’d think after the complete ass-backwards evaluation of PE Teachers, cone setters - Carrick and McKenna that this forum would learn that they actually know feck all about coaching, if Ashworth believes Southgate is the man, then trust him.

It’s incredible that our most successful national team manager is met with such disrespect and disgust, it actually saddens me.

Fans want this Fifa like manager where we dick teams 6-0 every week or if they’re not Pep they’re shite. EtH was the flavour of the month once.

You say we had the easiest route to the final and anyone could have done it, but anyone didn’t do it Southgate & you got to beat what’s in front of you.

Is he a cup manager or is he more of a league manager? Only time will tell, but this utter disrespect for our most successful England manager never ceases to disgust me.

I hold the belief that even if he won the WC and the Euros he’d still be met with a terrible attitude from the fans.
So you're done with defending the indefensible with Murtough and Ole, and now and it's full steam ahead team Ashworth/Southgate?

Stuff about Fifa-like managers is rubbish. Fans want a manager who has a body of work that suggests they can succeed here. That is all fans want in a managerial hire. Whether that comes from winning major trophies or in building teams that play attractive football in the best leagues.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
The man hasn't managed at club level since before Ronaldo was at Madrid. What could possibly suggest he's right for United? What is there to suggest this guy is good at long term planning of a squad or at establishing a style of play in a 50 game season year after year? There's nothing. This would be the worst decision in the history of the club if they appoint him. At least all the other flops had something, anything to argue in favour of them being appointed.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

Alf Ramsey is the most successful England manager ever.

Zlatko Dalic (a man I literally had to google) guided Croatia to a final and semi-final in consecutive World Cups, outperforming Southgate in both.

You can hold the belief about Southgate's rep all you want, but the reality is that he was beaten by losing finalists at the last two World Cups, and failed to beat an Italy side that failed to even qualify for either of those two World Cups in the Euros between, and these are the results he's judged on.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Usually, but not always. Belgian's new manager, Tedesco, has been a breath of fresh air. Introducing a ton of young players, good results, good tactics. He's only 38 and has been the manager of Schalke, Spartak and RB Leipzig. From what I've seen, I wouldn't be totally against taking a punt at him, maybe if ETH doesn't work out next year.
Tedesco to United? FFS :lol:

He isn't terrible, but he clearly isn't a top manager. He has the occasional great run in him, but never build anything sustainable (maybe Spartak, not sure about how he did there).

Nonetheless he was the first manager to win something with Leipzig (DFB Cup), something even Nagelsmann failed to do, but had to leave because it was all dull and uninspiring. I don't think he will ever make the necessary step up for United...

Teja

I know it’s only Ogden but it’s concerning this rumour just isn’t going away.
Missed out on the context here -- is this the best source we have so far? Seems somewhat flakey so I don't want to panic just yet.

saivet

I don't think Southgate is that guy either, but he'd be more respected if had done the same job with Germany/Spain/The Netherlands.

A lot of people are still put off by that spell at Middlesbrough early in his career.

It'd certainly be a massive risk by Ratcliffe.
I think on paper England have a stronger squad than those nations but I think a better comparison would be with Deschamps who has done well with France (2 finals and 1 World Cup) and has also faced criticism regarding his football. I think there would be similar negative sentiments from fans if he was linked with United.

Zed 101

I am against the Southgate appointment only because I think it would be a massive gamble for Utd at their current stage of development, that does not mean I disrespect what he has done with England.

Objectively I think with his style of play we would become a lot more solid, although I am not sure we have the players he would need to achieve this successfully.

My issue is that he has never shown any level of prowess at club level, I remember him at Boro and they were shite! okay so he has definitely moved on from that but to jump into one of the biggest jobs in club football especially given where we are right now would be just too risky.

If he comes in he will get my full support (as ETH has) and will be judged on his merit in post.

I would like to see ETH gone for reasons I have posted previously, but for me keeping him is less risky than appointing Southgate, I do not think either are good options but sometimes it is better the devil you know!

I am also not keen on people who look like they were created by Ardman, it freaks me out when they talk

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The fans have no idea about what factors make a manager more likely to succeed at a certain job. All we have to go off of is style of play and wins, but those don't correlate strongly to future success.

I'd be skeptical if Southgate was appointed here based on my extremely limited understanding of his capabilities but if he passed the evaluation process I'd give him a few games to see if there is any merit to that process.

At the very least he's shown he's very good at man management. For England at least.

lex talionis

Yes of course we have to trust that Sir Jim’s management team know what they’re doing, but I can’t see any rationale basis for sacking EtH for Southgate.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
Southgate would be an absolutely abysmal appointment for you, unless he's being brought in solely as Maguire's fluffer.

Shinjch

If you are choosing between Ten Hag and Southgate then it's a total no-contest.

Seeing some of the usual suspects in the media start to say United could do worse than Southgate really goes to show the agenda too. Murphy saying we would be better off if we got Southgate instead of Ten Hag is a prime example.

Dannn411

Look man, I want Ten Hag gone yesterday. One of the only things that will make me change my stance immediately is the thought of hiring Gareth fecking Southgate. Jesus H. Christ.

NLunited

Look man, I want Ten Hag gone yesterday. One of the only things that will make me change my stance immediately is the thought of hiring Gareth fecking Southgate. Jesus H. Christ.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I love the reactions on here.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Southgate would be an absolutely abysmal appointment for you, unless he's being brought in solely as Maguire's fluffer.
So much for the INEOS mantra of "appointing best in class football people in football roles".....
Are they honestly saying that Gareth Southgate is the very best manager in World football, closely followed by Graham Potter..?
Better and more successful than Alonso, Amorim, Allegri, Nagelsmann or even Ten Hag...

From where I am looking in at the moment in time, Brailsford appoints his mate Ashworth, then Ashworth appoints his mate Southgate.... :rolleyes:
If this goes ahead, it just feels like we have returned right back to the appointment of David Moyes.

SteveCoppellFan

This is just clickbait nonsense.

If any story is going to get a reaction, this would be it.

Danny Murphy saying this would be a great appointment for United and then asked how he would feel if Liverpool came in for him and his face turns grey.

Its all a load of bull.

This is what happens when United have a good win, they need something else to rile up the fans for clicks.

Hoof the ball

Some of you folks can't be serious.

He failed miserably at Boro and was rewarded with being given the England U-21 job
He failed miserably at two U-21 World Cups not once qualifying from the group stage and was rewarded with being given the full England job.

His entire career has been an upwards fall from failure to reward.

Even in his senior England career he's enjoyed managing England squads with more quality than the rest at a time when other international teams lack it. He got fortuitous group stages and knockout fixtures aiding him into the latter stages of competitions and still crumbled under the first true test of any tournament (Croatia in semi's, Italy in final).

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

This is just clickbait nonsense.

If any story is going to get a reaction, this would be it.

Danny Murphy saying this would be a great appointment for United and then asked how he would feel if Liverpool came in for him and his face turns grey.

Its all a load of bull.

This is what happens when United have a good win, they need something else to rile up the fans for clicks.
Can you imagine the cultural shock (in terms of approach) going from Klopp to Southgate? :lol: I could almost feel sorry for them. Almost.

hobbers

I'd be skeptical if Southgate was appointed here based on my extremely limited understanding of his capabilities but if he passed the evaluation process I'd give him a few games to see if there is any merit to that process.
If it actually was only a few games to remind everyone who'd forgotten that Southgate is a dire club manager then it wouldnt be so bad

But if he is the first appointment by the new owners and first appointment by so many new hires, then how long will they stick with him out of desperation to not look like total morons right out the gate? Probably at least an extra year or two longer than it would normally take.

A Southgate hire is dooming the club to probably 18 months plus of misery and more time wasted, and the end of any faith in the owners or new directors.

Lee565

Thiago Motta, anyone?

Yes but then again I would take mouronho back if it meant no southgate.

Southgate links are really worrying, last summer we scoffed at the idea of being linked to buying mount and then it turned out to be horribly real, I fear the same with this based on southgate links with our incoming dof

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yes but then again I would take mouronho back if it meant no southgate.

Southgate links are really worrying, last summer we scoffed at the idea of being linked to buying mount and then it turned out to be horribly real, I fear the same with this based on southgate links with our incoming dof
Speak for yourself

Teja

There's just no way that Berrada, Ashworth and co will say Gareth Southgate is the best man for the United job. Let's wait and watch. Trust in the process.

onemanarmy

Tedesco to United? FFS :lol:

He isn't terrible, but he clearly isn't a top manager. He has the occasional great run in him, but never build anything sustainable (maybe Spartak, not sure about how he did there).

Nonetheless he was the first manager to win something with Leipzig (DFB Cup), something even Nagelsmann failed to do, but had to leave because it was all dull and uninspiring. I don't think he will ever make the necessary step up for United...
Not saying he would be my first choice, but imo there is a lack of top managers out there. Might as well take a punt at a younger prospect. Tedesco is 15 years younger than ten Hag. Obviously there is still room for growth, at 38 years old. I really like what I see with our NT. He did very good at Leipzig and Schalke for periods. Again, might be way too early for United, or he may never be that level, just throwing names out there.

He did very good at Spartak btw :)