Who replaces Ten Hag?

nickm

I think he's done a great job as England manager - I don't agree with the critics - because he is good at the sorts of things needed for tournament football, which are different to club football. And England has a better, and more balanced squad on the whole than United does - but that's not really down to him. And he's been fortunate there as well. But the jury is out on him as a club manager and I don't think he necessarily has the right skills for that role at our level. If he does, I'd like to see him prove it somewhere else first.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I think he deserves another season. He’s got us in possibly 3 finals in 2 seasons. With a fully fit team I think we finish 4th at the very least. For him to still be getting the wins without our first choice CB without any LBs with out any ST for a few games. He’s done well.

Habs

I honestly thought this was a joke, but can this actually happen? I don’t rate him at all.

mu4c_20le

I think he deserves another season. He’s got us in possibly 3 finals in 2 seasons. With a fully fit team I think we finish 4th at the very least. For him to still be getting the wins without our first choice CB without any LBs with out any ST for a few games. He’s done well.
If you only judge him based on 2024, maybe. It's hard to type those words before the turn of the new year though. As for cup finals, I believe Liverpool was literally the only big team he's faced on all three cups on route to the final.

DJ_21

If you only judge him based on 2024, maybe. It's hard to type those words before the turn of the new year though. As for cup finals, I believe Liverpool was literally the only big team he's faced on all three cups on route to the final.
Fair point. However you can only beat the teams put in front of you. And we’ve been beaten by the likes of Newcastle in the league yet when it mattered in the cup final we won. I honestly believe he’s been very unlucky with injuries and doesn’t get the credit he deserves… haven’t we only lost 1 game this year? Whilst having Martinez missing, we’ve had no LB, we’ve had no ST. Yet we’ve still picked up the wins, no matter how badly we’ve played that takes a lot of doing do you not think?

mu4c_20le

Fair point. However you can only beat the teams put in front of you. And we’ve been beaten by the likes of Newcastle in the league yet when it mattered in the cup final we won. I honestly believe he’s been very unlucky with injuries and doesn’t get the credit he deserves… haven’t we only lost 1 game this year? Whilst having Martinez missing, we’ve had no LB, we’ve had no ST. Yet we’ve still picked up the wins, no matter how badly we’ve played that takes a lot of doing do you not think?
He did turn it around this year, but honestly it was the manner in which we knocked out liverpool that really made me think he could have another shot next season. We're a club about its moments, and he delivered a special one.

DJ_21

He did turn it around this year, but honestly it was the manner in which we knocked out liverpool that really made me think he could have another shot next season. We're a club about its moments, and he delivered a special one.
Ye it’s also that game that made me think he’ll be here next year. The players have shown that there still fighting and playing for him. When they stop playing for him then it’s basically game over.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Club gootball and International football are almost two different sports from a management perspective, he's shown nothing at club level to suggest he could take anything other than a bottom 5 PL job and that's the truth.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
:lol:

The fear of Southgate appointment is real.

DJ_21

:lol:

The fear of Southgate appointment is real.
If he’s the only one we’re after then I think 99% of our fans choose to stick with ETH. I still don’t believe he’s our main target to take over anyway. I think it’s all a trick. We got Berrada under the radar and I’m pretty sure we’ll get which ever manager we want under the radar. However i do believe ETH will get another shot next season unless results start turning for the worse before the end of the season.

NLunited

We had a great result so now the media has to shiit on us with these Southgate rumours. I‘m glad our fans are reacting appropriately:
The supporters wanting EtH out! might reconsider if they see Gareth coming in!

Lock the front door at Carrington and boarder up the windows.
Look man, I want Ten Hag gone yesterday. One of the only things that will make me change my stance immediately is the thought of hiring Gareth fecking Southgate. Jesus H. Christ.
I was vehemently against Potter. Still am. But if it's a choice of him or Southgate then I would let Potter stamp on my nuts and sign the contract with the blood from my crushed bollocks.

Offsideagain

I imagine that the new CEO Mr. Berrada will have some input into that if they do replace ETH next season. ETH still has a year left on his contract at £9m per year. Given we are finally getting the right staff in to run the club and footballing matters, they may give him another year to concentrate on the actual coaching. The injuries to key players have blighted this season but some players he recommended and were bought for way too much money haven't performed as we were led to believe they could. Difficult decision for SJR or Berrada to make. Whatever they decide, not Southgate or Potter thanks to replace ETH.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Feck I don't trust Ratcliffe or Ashworth because they prefer local and has had good relationships with English FA. So won't be surprised if they prefer Southgate. But I trust Berarda though. A man with his experience just won't prefer Southgate.

hobbers

Every time you think about it, even just going for Southgate over Potter would be rank insanity.

Both English, both bullshit merchants who love to waffle, both have links with Ashworth. Both also won feck all and neither inspire any confidence.

But Potter has managed a Prem team to play reasonable football with reasonable results, and hasn't relegated anyone (though he tried bloody hard to relegate Chelsea). And he's available with no compensation. And maybe Ineos are also too thick to realise, but you wouldnt have to wait until after the Euros, mid July, to put him in place. So you wouldnt piss away half a summers worth of planning and coaching.

Zed 101

Every time you think about it, even just going for Southgate over Potter would be rank insanity.

Both English, both bullshit merchants who love to waffle, both have links with Ashworth. Both also won feck all and neither inspire any confidence.

But Potter has managed a Prem team to play reasonable football with reasonable results, and hasn't relegated anyone (though he tried bloody hard to relegate Chelsea). And he's available with no compensation. And maybe Ineos are also too thick to realise, but you wouldnt have to wait until after the Euros, mid July, to put him in place. So you wouldnt piss away half a summers worth of planning and coaching.
In regards to Potter (and I am not pro-potter) the Chelsea situation was pretty unusual in terms of a ridiculously unbalanced and over priced squad full of new signings, and external distractions, I do not think he should be judged on that per se however I do think that the parallels with Utd makes his a bad choice for us, would be surprised if he does not make a successful return to management.... what concerns me is that he has not yet gone back into management, the conspiracy theorist in me thinks he is already lined up and being paid to sit it out

hobbers

In regards to Potter (and I am not pro-potter) the Chelsea situation was pretty unusual in terms of a ridiculously unbalanced and over priced squad full of new signings, and external distractions, I do not think he should be judged on that per se however I do think that the parallels with Utd makes his a bad choice for us, would be surprised if he does not make a successful return to management.... what concerns me is that he has not yet gone back into management, the conspiracy theorist in me thinks he is already lined up and being paid to sit it out
Yeah I'm the same. Not pro Potter at all but I could at least see some logic in hiring him based on connections/availability/cost.

Amazing what being linked to Southgate does. I think you could probably even convince me to give Rodgers a go if Southgate is the alternative.

Yakuza_devils

Just when I thought the worst is over, we will be back to the square one if we appoint Southgate.

If Southgate is the best SJR and his team can think off I rather stick with ETH. Mind you I wanted him out long ago.

We should be going for the best in class and modern manager like Alonso, Inzaghi, and etc.

Infra-red

So, it looks like Southgate, followed by Potter are Ineos' preferred options to replace Ten Hag if he departs in the summer. Anyone still want Ten Hag out?

No, I thought not.

Partridge

I've had a reaccuring nightmare where I'm sat watching an unveiling, and it turns out to be Roy "the owl" hodgson. There is stoney silence for a minute, then Roy says...

"Elo".

I wake up at that point. :lol:

djembatheking

When Ratcliffe took over there became a glimmer of hope that something might change at the club and someone for once could be looking to get football matters right. If Southgate is given the managers job that will sadly extinguish the glimmer for me as I just don`t see it. To be successful in the premier league you need a manager with a bit of arrogance, self belief and a bit of a cnut to deal with press and media, Fergie, Jose, Pep, Conte and Kloppo have all got it as well as the other managerial qualities obviously required. Southgate just hasn`t got it for me, tries to be nice all the time and too much safety first in his tactics. No thanks.

WouterWeghorst

Supports
Bald Managers
Maybe these bad names get thrown around in an effort to get people behind EtH? No one can seriously decide Southgate will let United make the next step up?

Yakuza_devils

I think all the ETH out will change their stance and back ETH if the replacement is Southgate. This is how bad Southgate is as a manager. The negative style of play for England is no different to Jose, Ole and etc.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think all the ETH out will change their stance and back ETH if the replacement is Southgate. This is how bad Southgate is as a manager. The negative style of play for England is no different to Jose, Ole and etc.
As someone that has been negative on ETH for most of the season, 100%. Id take a lot of convincing that Gareth is the right man.

The-Mezzala

So, it looks like Southgate, followed by Potter are Ineos' preferred options to replace Ten Hag if he departs in the summer. Anyone still want Ten Hag out?

No, I thought not.
I would shave my head bald and start speaking in dutch accent to stop those two clowns getting the job. God help us if Southgate gets the job

AneRu

The likes of Carragher, Wright can be understood as they would love nothing more than to see us waste three years mired in a cycle of getting rid of a poor manager and couple more correcting his mistakes. What I don't get is the likes of Keane and Neville getting behind this nonsense. If United are ever going to rise we need to break the old boys network and be more thoughtful in our appointments.

I don't trust Ratcliffe and Brailsford to be objective enough to look beyond the passport. This disaster could be unfolding before our eyes and could see us enter another decade of mediocrity. The club feels like it's cursed.

AneRu

Just when I thought the worst is over, we will be back to the square one if we appoint Southgate.

If Southgate is the best SJR and his team can think off I rather stick with ETH. Mind you I wanted him out long ago.

We should be going for the best in class and modern manager like Alonso, Inzaghi, and etc.
This potential insular mindset and Brexit brigade tendencies, in addition to avoing a full buyout, is one of the reasons I was apprehensive of an INEOS takeover. Apart from Berrada there really is no creativity in their other appointment and this Southgate nonsense just confirms my initial fears. All the good work, thus far, will be undone by this harebrained hire.

If its Ashworth that's come in with this nonsense we should keep him in the garden because this will prove to be a massive show of poor judgement.

singhters

Ten Hag In, you can't blame the manager for players poor finishing we should have blown liverpool away in 20mins easily have been 3-0.

Southgate oh gees please no if that happens i'm out and f this club.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I wouldn't. I'd give anyone a chance but would be underwhelmed at Southgate.

As I've said previously, it's unlikely that INEOS get every call right the first time. If Southgate doesn't work out then the fans will be on his back quickly and he'll be gone. I'm sure they'd learn their lesson and hopefully put a bit more thought into the next appointment. If you're truly behind their project then you have to accept that they'll get some things wrong.

miliebrowndivorceattorney

The more I think about it the more I am convinced that bar a disastrous run of games - 4 or 5 losses with very unconvincing play from minute 1 to 90, Ten Hag remains manager for next season. Here's why.

INEOS decided the management around the coach and board, needs beefing up ''to world class''. They see that in the modern game, a modern club has a broad range of experts at the very top of departments. This is how City, LFC and big European clubs are doing it.

Sacking Ten Hag leaves a club in the middle of said process. Even if the top world class tech managers are starting, that too takes a while to bring concrete results. On top of that several big clubs who do have a working world class structure, and a much more balanced squad and looking for new managers this summer (Barca, LFC, bayern), it will simply not attract the triple A world class coaches INEOS wants for United. Instead, it will entice up and coming guys like De Zerbi but still have things to prove at top clubs. Southgate by all means a nice guy, is not a triple A coach. Even if you do poach say, Ancelotti, that would only go for an absurd amount of money whilst not bringing real modern play and disrupt modern style recruitment of players.

For INEOS Ten Hag needs to be replaced by a top, triple A modern super coach. That's why I think they will first build up the ''environment', maybe balance the squad a bit more and only then approach candidates. That is, if Ten Hag doesn't deliver.

If Ten Hag does start to live up to expectations, INEOS can wait for an extension later this year. They will offer Ten Hag a. 1 year extension with option for another, or if they are really pleased b. a 2 year extension with option for another.

If Ten Hag does not live up to expectations, they can just ride out his contract whilst setting up the triple A world class coach to take over in the summer of 2025. In short: I think Ten Hag is safe for the foreseeable future.

santeria13

Sublemon
Southgate as our manager would be what it takes to finally just stop watching football tbh.

There's too much smoke at this point for there not to be a fire. What I don't understand is how the feck they've decided he would be a good appointment should ETH be sacked?

Despite our most recent result, I still feel ETH may not be the right man but if that's the alternative, long may he continue

santeria13

Sublemon
It's even worse. Jose's style won things at least

Stadjer

It's even worse. Jose's style won things at least
I think that is the thing. France has an amazing squad. The only squad that is better or at the same level as England their squad. They also do play boring football most of the time. Deschamps just won the World Cup and that makes it acceptable to play shit football with amazing players. Southgate hasnt won anything with his shit football while having amazing players.

Shit football is only acceptable when you win things like Jose used to do. In some cases it is accepted to not win when you are playing amazing football.

IrishMcD

Just the thoughts of watching Pep being animated and driving his team on pitchside at Old Trafford while Southgate sits silently in the home dugout, is enough to make me vomit. He’s tactically clueless in comparison to the top managers, he wouldn’t know whether to scratch his watch or wind his ass after battling Pep (or any half decent manager)

Someone

Something
Southgate would be an incredibly moronic appointment. I'd be terrified if the new regime is actually considering him. You can't keep saying we need the best in class just to feck up the most important appointment of all.

hobbers

The negative style of play for England is no different to Jose, Ole and etc.
One of the worst parts is that Southgate's career would be so predictable, would turn out very similar to Ole's.

Initially the defense would improve from the conservative formation and counter attack philosophy, and so results would pick up a little from this season - but still without getting CL football - and people would cling to that. Might then scrape into the top 4/5 in the following season benefitting from other teams having off years, and people would cling to that. Then we'd go massively backwards in the third season but would sneak into a cup final and lose (inevitable because, remember, we're managed by Southgate) and people would cling to that.

Fast forward 3 seasons and we've done nothing but repeated 2019-2022.