Who replaces Ten Hag?

Gfooty

Anyone who thinks Tuchel's a better choice than EtH should get their health checked

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Anyone who thinks Tuchel's a better choice than EtH should get their health checked
Anyone who doesn't should get their health checked.

Actually everyone should, such things are important.

The-Mezzala

Why do you feel he’s overrated? Not arguing, just curious why people think this.
I hear that a lot. Most common argument is Brighton have fallen off. But Brighton are really where they should be. He is still doing a great job. Lost his best two players and still one of the best footballing teams in the league. Brighton have played United off the pitch everytime he has been manager. I think he is a massive upgrade on Ten Hag.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
They should be sounding out a new manager between now and the final. I'm pretty sure they'll keep him in place for that but it's feeling like another LVG situation for me. I think he's gone either way.

black country red

Two years ago ten hag was the overwhelming popular choice on red cafe that hasn’t worked out very well hope the next choice is a boring safe pair of hands not some of the left field hipster choices some people rattle out on here

Chumpsbechumps

We should have been able to beat Coventry with no manager.

Title should be changed to “who would want to replace ETH”.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Yes the only man to break the 11 year Bayern champion run. Quite the achievement
Bayern has 66 points now after 30 matches despite clearly not caring any more for the league matches. Last season they had 62 and were in a tight race with Dortmund. And that with a squad that's too small to cope with the strain of a full season (and therefore is injury-ridden on top of being too small anyway). Nonetheless some of their underlying stats are still better than the record-breaking Leverkusen that has a very well build squad available. I know a lot of you don't care about metrics like xPoints (and I am critical of them as well), but understat for example has Bayern actually ahead of Leverkusen this season.

Leverkusen played themselves into an unbelievable flow and fully deserve all the praise they get, but that's exactly the point: You have to praise Leverkusen for their season, you can blame the Bayern board for messing up transfers, but blaming Tuchel for not winning the league under these circumstances really shows that you don't know the context of what's happening there.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Bayern has 66 points now after 30 matches despite clearly not caring any more for the league matches. Last season they had 62 and were in a tight race with Dortmund. And that with a squad that's too small to cope with the strain of a full season (and therefore is injury-ridden on top of being too small anyway). Nonetheless some of their underlying stats are still better than the record-breaking Leverkusen that has a very well build squad available. I know a lot of you don't care about metrics like xPoints (and I am critical of them as well), but understat for example has Bayern actually ahead of Leverkusen this season.

Leverkusen played themselves into an unbelievable flow and fully deserve all the praise they get, but that's exactly the point: You have to praise Leverkusen for their season, you can blame the Bayern board for messing up transfers, but blaming Tuchel for not winning the league under these circumstances really shows that you don't know the context of what's happening there.
Genuine question then, if he's doing well why the split at the end of the season? Just a breakdown in the relationship?

redcucumber

Two years ago ten hag was the overwhelming popular choice on red cafe that hasn’t worked out very well hope the next choice is a boring safe pair of hands not some of the left field hipster choices some people rattle out on here
Like who? No manager is a sure thing, even if they are a 'safe pair of hands' (probably the phrase that best sums up Moyes who was an absolute disaster). Also, what even is a hipster manager? ten Hag was interviewed by Spurs and Bayern as well as us. He was a pretty mainstream option.

bringbackbebe

We should have been able to beat Coventry with no manager.

Title should be changed to “who would want to replace ETH”.
The game was odd, but how would fans have reacted at the start of the season if someone said they're starting a FA cup semi final game with Casemiro & Maguire at the back and AWB at left back and McTominay in midfield? No disrespect to any of the players - just pointing out the limitations with which ETH is working. Our season calculations seems to have relied on at least Martinez, Mount, Varane and Shaw being fit for most of the games.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I think the Tuchel potential appointment says two things.

1. INEOS feel there is no going back for ETH and wants a shorter-term solution while they get their structure in place. Tuchel comes in as effectively a firefighter (which would be interesting with his abrasive personality :lol:)
2. They give him a 2-year contract and keep the search going for the new (longer term) manager when everyone gets integrated into the club properly (INEOS, Blanc, Berrarda, Ashworth)

Chumpsbechumps

The game was odd, but how would fans have reacted at the start of the season if someone said they're starting a FA cup semi final game with Casemiro & Maguire at the back and AWB at left back and McTominay in midfield? No disrespect to any of the players - just pointing out the limitations with which ETH is working. Our season calculations seems to have relied on at least Martinez, Mount, Varane and Shaw being fit for most of the games.
Well the injuries are all ETH fault according to some. I look forward to an injury free season next year.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Genuine question then, if he's doing well why the split at the end of the season? Just a breakdown in the relationship?
I think there are two reasons: Yes, a breakdown in the relationship happened quite early in the season when the board failed to deliver the transfers Tuchel expected, so sending him into the season with the mentioned too small squad. As you can imagine it didn't sit well with Tuchel when the CEO publicly told him "he shouldn't complain, he is getting paid to find solutions" (and he did, like fielding Goretzka as a CB).

And while Tuchel did manage to find solutions and rack up a lot of points, he still failed to get the team to play in a cohesive and dominant way but that's expected from a Bayern manager. I think he still did a good job under the circumstances, but nonetheless it's a fact that they played a weak group stage in the CL and while they were able to rack up points in the league they still lost the most crucial match - the away match in Leverkusen, and they lost it despite Tuchel going for a counter-attacking setup. Still they were surprised and outcoached (something similar happened in Frankfurt were they lost 1-5) by changes Alonso did in that match, which I suppose was the final nail in the coffin.

On top Bayern exited the cup early against a 3rd league team, but Bayern exiting the cup early in an embarassing way has happened regularly in the last years and at that difference in quality I'd never blame a manager who fielded a only slightly rotated first choice team in that match, but much more the players. Still didn't help obviously.

Actually by now the tone has already shifted a bit (CL semifinal helps) and there are questions asked if Tuchel might still stay after this season, despite having agreed to part ways (and just on the weekend Tuchel confirmed again that the existing agreement to leave stands).

If you think about it, the chaos on board level and squad building in München is not so different from the current situation in Manchester. So Tuchel would roughly know how this starting situation feels but hopefully have a better team around him to fix it instead of having to go to battle with them. INEOS appointments could mean that United simply is a year further in fixing the structure this summer than Bayern was last summer.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
But if I knew AWB as a LB is disaster and proven failure and still EtH plays him as LB every week, i would say EtH is clueless.

These are the times when manager should be brave and promote young players from academy instead of playing player out of position, so bad that he is a liability defensively and adds 0 in possession.

Lyng

But if I knew AWB as a LB is disaster and proven failure and still EtH plays him as LB every week, i would say EtH is clueless.

These are the times when manager should be brave and promote young players from academy instead of playing player out of position, so bad that he is a liability defensively and adds 0 in possession.
Precisely why I want him gone regardless of a FA Cup win or not. He is simply to stubborn.

roonster09

Scout
Precisely why I want him gone regardless of a FA Cup win or not. He is simply to stubborn.
Yeah, Klopp was playing some young player who was out on loan to lower league team and he looked so good. Now they don't have to worry about TAA back up.

We don't have managers who are brave and confident like Klopp.

Rojofiam

Still happy to roll with ten Hag next season? Not trying to argue I'm just genuinely curious about the rationale for those that are still pro ten Hag.
I'm not necessarily pro-ten Hag, but it's obvious we don't have the players to make his tactics work, and that would be the case with almost every alternative option as well.

Most importantly, we don't have the central defenders and a defensive midfielder who are able to defend large spaces and quick transitions when we lose the ball high up the pitch.

That's why it seems like the midfield is emptied during our games, and to be honest, ten Hag would've done better if he kept playing that pragmatic style that he reverted to last season after the opening 2 defeats, which would've ensured another top 4 finish and a chance to buy another 3 or 4 players this summer, in order to get closer to having a squad that can play the style of football he wants.

I used to think that he just abandoned his philosophies due to the pressure that he's under as United manager, in order to survive, which was funnily enough true last season, but on a second thought, he's probably been too stubborn as I guess he didn't want to wait another season playing basically a makeshift tactic that maximizes this current squad's strengths. It's also (partly) what got Ole sacked in the end, as he wanted to adopt a more controlling, front-footed type of football that the players weren't suited to, but he also signed a player in Ronaldo who wasn't willing to do even the bare minimum out of possession, Pogba was also a passenger when we didn't have the ball, Henderson was out with Long-COVID if I recall correctly, so we didn't even have a technical goalkeeper and had to stick with De Gea's non-existent ball-playing and passing abilities, meanwhile the pressure only grew because the casual fan only sees "Ronaldo, Sancho, Varane" and thinks we have to challenge for the league with those additions and a second place finish in the previous season. So yeah, feels like it's a similar reason for both "downfalls" and no matter which manager we get, we have to get more than just 3 or 4 players in order to challenge for the league, even though I think we have around 10-15 players who can do well and play a part in a working tactical system for a top team, and this "bin everyone except Hojlund Mainoo Garnacho and Martínez" narrative is bullshit.

bringbackbebe

Agree. I think he sort of tried that with Kambwala at CB, who got injured himself for the game. I don't understand why we quickly tried to get rid of Alvaro Fernandez but I can only assume it's because he wasn't considered good enough. The next option was Harry Amass who just turned 17 who should probably have been given a shot over AWB. Oh well!

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
What does that actually mean? I'm honestly not sure, is it someone under who's thought to play good football, but their career has stuttered like Potter? an up and coming manager like Amorim? a surprise success story like Alonso? Was Klopp a left field hipster choice? Is De Zerbi?

It just seems like a meaningless cliche that people throw around.

roonster09

Scout
Agree. I think he sort of tried that with Kambwala at CB, who got injured himself for the game. I don't understand why we quickly tried to get rid of Alvaro Fernandez but I can only assume it's because he wasn't considered good enough. The next option was Harry Amass who just turned 17 who should probably have been given a shot over AWB. Oh well!
Yeah we should play Amass. Or anyone who can contribute on left wing.

Rojofiam

What does that actually mean? I'm honestly not sure, is it someone under who's thought to play good football, but their career has stuttered like Potter? an up and coming manager like Amorim? a surprise success story like Alonso? Was Klopp a left field hipster choice? Is De Zerbi?

He probably means someone with an impressive CV, but personally feel like that's such an overrated aspect when hiring managers.

black country red

Klopp wasn’t a left field he won the league and got to a European cup final he was always going to do well some people suggest managers from a mid table German club see they have had a couple of good results and they are the next big thing and for feck sake I never mentioned potter I was thinking more in the terms of zidane or tuchel

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Klopp wasn’t a left field he won the league and got to a European cup final he was always going to do well some people suggest managers from a mid table German club see they have had a couple of good results and they are the next big thing and for feck sake I never mentioned potter I was thinking more in the terms of zidane or tuchel
Honestly not arguing, but what makes Zidane or Tuchel left field if Klopp wasn't because he'd won the German league and got to a European cup final? They've both won leagues and European cup finals.

redcucumber

Honestly not arguing, but what makes Zidane or Tuchel left field if Klopp wasn't because he'd won the German league and got to a European cup final? They've both won leagues and European cup finals.
He's saying they are a safe pair of hands and aren't hipster choices.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I had Tuchel but I've since realised he's too volatile with his soft skills. I'd keep EtH and let him run down his contract whilst I take a further look at Xabi Alonso.

redcucumber

I had Tuchel but I've since realised he's too volatile with his soft skills. I'd keep EtH and let him run down his contract whilst I take a further look at Xabi Alonso.
A further look? He's already rebuffed Liverpool where he made his name. By all accounts he's taking over Madrid next summer when Ancelotti leaves. We haven't a prayer.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom