Who replaces Ten Hag?

redshaw

Tuchel can be unstable off the pitch but can bring stability and be very methodical setting us up on the pitch. He's a very meticulous coach. He would have a plan for being 3-0 up for instance, players would know their job well before hand even if we are suffering from injuries, the subs would know.

It's not just Coventry, it's Newport, Wolves, Brentford, Gala and so on, it's crazy town. We fold and struggle to make goals in this offensive setup ETH has stuck to this season. ETH has sadly crashed and burned, came here at the wrong time and come up with some crazy high up transition plan with the Murtough board and I think missed the attacking football the fans expect and saw before.

DSG

Tuchel is horribly under rated and slandered by so many fans it’s ridiculous he doesn’t suffer fools and is leagues ahead of anything Ten Hag could muster.

Worked with big name players, has a highly adaptable system. Pretty much perfect for our current squad and great to transition over from the chaos we have at the moment.

Winning a Cl vs Pep’s City, Knocking Arsenal out with a terrible Bayern side are no mean feats.

He didn’t do too well at PSG but who does?

I think it would be a smart move, if contact has been made then it may give credence to what my source said , agreement between ETH and INEOS he’s off come the summer.
I rate Tuchel as well. He took PSG to a CL final, right?

He is an excellent cup manager and is brilliant at pre-match prep and tactical adjustments.

If I have one complaint it’s that he tends to sour on players and plays favorites a bit. A little like Jose in that sense, he likes players that play exactly as he wants them to.

chris123

Bayern has definitely tainted Tuchel's reputation and rightfully so, but it was probably a no-win situation. Still he inherited a pretty good situation after Nagelsmann left and made it worse, but a Champions League win or final appearance will definitely restore his reputation.

Valencia Shin Crosses

He is an excellent cup manager and is brilliant at pre-match prep and tactical adjustments.

If I have one complaint it’s that he tends to sour on players and plays favorites a bit. A little like Jose in that sense, he likes players that play exactly as he wants them to.
Which is why I'm not sold on him. People scoff at Zidane saying he needs a ready made team but Tuchel tends to prefer more mature teams as well. He's not exactly patient with youth etc. and in a situation like ours where we need to be clearing out a TON of dross from the squad and assuming we are looking to get younger throughout, I think it's tough to bring in a manager like Tuchel to oversee that. The last thing you want is a repeat of the Mourinho treatment with Rashford/Martial while they were developing with new young players considering how many we have that are incredibly high rated coming through the academy currently.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Tuchel is horribly under rated and slandered by so many fans it’s ridiculous he doesn’t suffer fools and is leagues ahead of anything Ten Hag could muster.

Worked with big name players, has a highly adaptable system. Pretty much perfect for our current squad and great to transition over from the chaos we have at the moment.

Winning a Cl vs Pep’s City, Knocking Arsenal out with a terrible Bayern side are no mean feats.

He didn’t do too well at PSG but who does?

I think it would be a smart move, if contact has been made then it may give credence to what my source said , agreement between ETH and INEOS he’s off come the summer.
Add the fact he kept playing the Chelsea youth, even if Lampard was the one to bring them in.

He also brought back Rüdiger from the doldrums at Chelsea who is now arguably one of the top 3 CBs in the world at the best club in the world.

He's a perfect 2-year short-term fix. The only thing I'm not sure about is his PL pedigree, as he didn't do great with Chelsea despite his great cup record. All in all, he's basically an upgrade on EtH and maybe he works out long-term but even if he doesn't, that should set us on the right track.

LilienFan

Supports
Darmstadt
Bayern has definitely tainted Tuchel's reputation and rightfully so, but it was probably a no-win situation. Still he inherited a pretty good situation after Nagelsmann left and made it worse, but a Champions League win or final appearance will definitely restore his reputation.
Simply not true.There is virtually no difference between them in the league. All about the perception Leverkusen created with an all-time season.

Tuchel 2.20 PPG at Bayern in 2023/2024
Tuchel 2.11 PPG at Bayern in 2022/2023
Nagelsmann 2.08 PPG at Bayern in 2022/2023
Nagelsmann 2.26 PPG at Bayern in 2021/2022

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Simply not true.There is virtually no difference between them in the league. All about the perception Leverkusen created with an all-time season.

Tuchel 2.20 PPG at Bayern in 2023/2024
Tuchel 2.11 PPG at Bayern in 2022/2023
Nagelsmann 2.08 PPG at Bayern in 2022/2023
Nagelsmann 2.26 PPG at Bayern in 2021/2022
I came across this from a bayern forum and I will paste it here.

"
And then the clubs realize he was right all along. Let’s look at his fallouts

1. BVB fought with Watzke because the later wanted him to play a day after the team bus suffered a terrorist attack and Tuchel said players are not in the right frame of the mind to play. Suffered losses to Monaco, left after winning the German Cup having the highest win % of any BVB coach despite Bayern having Guardiola and Ancelotti.

2. PSG fought with Leonardo over transfers who sacked him, then owners realized Leonardo was the running joke and not Tuchel. Sacked Leonardo and now he can’t get a job whereas Tuchel went on to win the CL with Chelsea and has had countless top job offers since.

3. Chelsea fell off when Abrahamovic left because the American ownership wanted him to be an Alex Ferguson and run the club, whereas he was the head coach and not interested in transfer dealings. Chelsea tanked completely after his dismissal and struggling to replicate his success

4. Bayern, a few powerful players don’t listen to him complain to Hoeness who turns against him after Tuchel outsmarted him in the transfer window. Hoeness wanted No brain Muani , Tuchel wanted Kaiser Kane. Hoeness had to eat humble pie on his earlier statements and looked like a fool, so waited for the opportunity to strike. After being dismissed he decided to do what he wants, plays Dier benched Upamaguire and Kim, shifted Kimmich to RB and Goretzka to a deep lying DM, results improved. Bosses acknowledged his observations are right about the squad and have sanctioned a 200 million rebuild largest in Bayern history. Tuchel’s targets like Araujo still pursued.
"

NLunited

We should stay away from Dutch coaches especially ones with little to no experience outside of the Eredevisie.
I haven’t mentioned Slot although I think he is excellent. You know, me being Dutch and all.

He’s reportedly top on the list at Liverpool.

Valencia Shin Crosses

"

1. BVB fought with Watzke because the later wanted him to play a day after the team bus suffered a terrorist attack and Tuchel said players are not in the right frame of the mind to play. Suffered losses to Monaco, left after winning the German Cup having the highest win % of any BVB coach despite Bayern having Guardiola and Ancelotti.

2. PSG fought with Leonardo over transfers who sacked him, then owners realized Leonardo was the running joke and not Tuchel. Sacked Leonardo and now he can’t get a job whereas Tuchel went on to win the CL with Chelsea and has had countless top job offers since.

3. Chelsea fell off when Abrahamovic left because the American ownership wanted him to be an Alex Ferguson and run the club, whereas he was the head coach and not interested in transfer dealings. Chelsea tanked completely after his dismissal and struggling to replicate his success

4. Bayern, a few powerful players don’t listen to him complain to Hoeness who turns against him after Tuchel outsmarted him in the transfer window. Hoeness wanted No brain Muani , Tuchel wanted Kaiser Kane. Hoeness had to eat humble pie on his earlier statements and looked like a fool, so waited for the opportunity to strike. After being dismissed he decided to do what he wants, plays Dier benched Upamaguire and Kim, shifted Kimmich to RB and Goretzka to a deep lying DM, results improved. Bosses acknowledged his observations are right about the squad and have sanctioned a 200 million rebuild largest in Bayern history. Tuchel’s targets like Araujo still pursued.
"
Laughed my arse off at "Upamaguire"

Apokalips

"

"
So he fought with Leonardo over transfers but is not interested in transfer dealings, hence his fall out with Chelsea? I'm not sure this makes much sense unless you're saying Leonardo wanted him to deal with transfers too? When someone repeatedly falls out with others it usually indicates a problem regardless of the excuses. Many like to claim Mourinho is right in his bust ups too.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

"

"
For PSG there is one small nuance, he refused to extend his contract and was leaving that summer. PSG sacked him because Pochettino was available and they didn't want to lose him if they waited.

Now the rest is correct, he was right to be upset with Leonardo after being right to be upset with Antero Enrique, he was actually very patient at PSG because Enrique created a mess when he first didn't sign a midfielder during summer and then decided to sanction Rabiot for not extending his contract which was against Tuchel's will and when PSG were short of midfielders. Later Leonardo signed Icardi in a move that was later spotted as dodgy even though Tuchel allegedly stated that he had no need for Icardi and would prefer to see the money spent somewhere else.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
So he fought with Leonardo over transfers but is not interested in transfer dealings, hence his fall out with Chelsea? I'm not sure this makes much sense unless you're saying Leonardo wanted him to deal with transfers too? When someone repeatedly falls out with others it usually indicates a problem regardless of the excuses. Many like to claim Mourinho is right in his bust ups too.
I just copied and pasted from Bayern forum. Bayern fans in CAF probably can contribute more to this.

reddev3

"

"
The other 3 sound plausible but I'm not having this one. Why would the owners go for Potter straight after who seems even more passive in club running matters and proceeded to do about a million transfers off their own back.

LilienFan

Supports
Darmstadt
Well I guess the simple answer to all of the Tuchel discussion about his former clubs would be: Not once have I read that he was fired for underperforming. ;)

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Well I guess the simple answer to all of the Tuchel discussion about his former clubs would be: Not once have I read that he was fired for underperforming. ;)
Bayern just terminated his contract for this particular reason.

Roane

Which is why I'm not sold on him. People scoff at Zidane saying he needs a ready made team but Tuchel tends to prefer more mature teams as well. He's not exactly patient with youth etc. and in a situation like ours where we need to be clearing out a TON of dross from the squad and assuming we are looking to get younger throughout, I think it's tough to bring in a manager like Tuchel to oversee that. The last thing you want is a repeat of the Mourinho treatment with Rashford/Martial while they were developing with new young players considering how many we have that are incredibly high rated coming through the academy currently.
I'm not sure I understand this. I mean we had SAF who soured against players and had favourites. I'm not sure that's altogether a bad thing.

Obviously you can't do a Mourinho but SAF moving on players was what made him the goat.

Winrar

Is Simone Inzaghi available? In addition to Inter’s league performance this season, he does have a knack for turning our duds into good players.

jem

Wonder how many would've said that a year ago.
A year ago Rashford was already showing signs of backsliding into mediocrity as his purple patch wore off, so I imagine a fair few would’ve said it.

Dazzmondo

I'd be delighted with Tuchel. ETH has never come anywhere near matching Tuchel's achievements. I'd be a little concerned about Tuchel's man management in the long term, but tactically I really don't think there's any better (that's remotely realistic).

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Tuchel's transfer approach is more like (we had this this summer which caused trouble at Bayern): "Give me a holding six!"
And then he expects the DoF to deliver a good choice. Trouble starts when he doesn't get such a player.

lsd

The Oracle
I can't believe there are United fans who are preferring life with Ten Hag to life with Ole.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I'm not sure I understand this. I mean we had SAF who soured against players and had favourites. I'm not sure that's altogether a bad thing.

Obviously you can't do a Mourinho but SAF moving on players was what made him the goat.
I think it’s pointless comparing anything to what SAF did, but my previous post was particularly speaking about the issues Mourinho (and to an extent Tuchel) have had trusting young players. Assuming we clear a good bit of deadwood this summer and majority of players brought in are younger, along with the seemingly huge wave of academy talent coming through, you need a manager willing to work with and develop younger players without getting fed up at mistakes and moving on to another veteran.

BorisManUtd

Rate Tuchel highly and think you can argue he didn't fail at any of his clubs (even Bayern perhaps) and do believe he'd be good option for 2 seasons or so. But only if there's place for Mainoo and Garnacho in his team and possibly few more young players if they're promising talents.

Won't be surprised if Liverpool act quicker than us and hire Tuchel. He'd do at least a solid job before someone like Xabi Alonso possibly takes over. Barca are also looking for a manager.

Dazzmondo

Rate Tuchel highly and think you can argue he didn't fail at any of his clubs (even Bayern perhaps) and do believe he'd be good option for 2 seasons or so. But only if there's place for Mainoo and Garnacho in his team and possibly few more young players if they're promising talents.

Won't be surprised if Liverpool act quicker than us and hire Tuchel. He'd do at least a solid job before someone like Xabi Alonso possibly takes over. Barca are also looking for a manager.
Tuchel for 2 seasons and then Xabi Alonso after would be a realistic and ideal scenario imo

macheda14

The other 3 sound plausible but I'm not having this one. Why would the owners go for Potter straight after who seems even more passive in club running matters and proceeded to do about a million transfers off their own back.
Because after the bought the club they didn't have a footballing structure in place so wanted Tuchel to be involved in summer planning. They then started hiring more top level staff from Brighton and wanted to just copy the Brighton model entirely but with infinitely more money. They fell out during the summer.

George The Best

If we can get the Ashworth deal sorted sooner, we’ve got Berrada coming soon, Wilcox already in, and rumours are we after Williams from Ipswich for recruitment. That’s a solid structure that I’m sure someone like Tuchel would be happy to work with. He’d just tell them what he needs, let that team get on with it whilst he just concentrated on the coaching and tactics. We’ve not had anything like this for yonks. We would have finally caught up with the game the Glazer’s hadn’t a clue about.

NLunited

What has Tuchel shown that makes you think he is a good fit at MU? He was poor at Chelsea.

BorisManUtd

If we can get the Ashworth deal sorted sooner, we’ve got Berrada coming soon, Wilcox already in, and rumours are we after Williams from Ipswich for recruitment. That’s a solid structure that I’m sure someone like Tuchel would be happy to work with. He’d just tell them what he needs, let that team get on with it whilst he just concentrated on the coaching and tactics. We’ve not had anything like this for yonks. We would have finally caught up with the game the Glazer’s hadn’t a clue about.
Just when you think about for how many years we haven't had (and we'll see if that changes now) a proper structure with capable people working in it, it really makes you pissed off. Then Old Trafford not getting renovated for so many years and so many other things. Won't even go into them taking all the money out of club. Fans have been super polite with Glazers taking everything into account.

the_cliff

Mentioned this in another thread but with Liverpool, Chelsea (probably), Barca, Bayern, Milan and Juve all looking for new managers I hope we're starting the due diligence now, otherwise we won't be left with many options.

Not that there are many options right now.

Fallon d'Floor

What has Tuchel shown that makes you think he is a good fit at MU? He was poor at Chelsea.
If Tuchel was poor at Chelsea, then ten Hag has been horrific at United.

Tuchel has a 60% win rate at Chelsea. 60 wins from 100 games.

He won The CL and reached 3 domestic cup finals in less than 18 months. Just 16 months. They also won The UEFA Super Cup and Club World Cup.

He qualified for The CL every season. And Lukaku + Saúl (loan with option to buy) were the only players he was given during his first 16 months in charge.

Boehly sacking Tuchel was a big mistake. One they're still paying for now. He only got to manage 6 PL games after the Abramovich era ended.

Calling his time at Chelsea poor is a strange take.

SirBillNic

Supports
Spurs
I think he fought with Leonardo over PSG not signing any players. After PSG reached the CL final, they lost Thiago Silva, Cavani, Meunier, and other players and didn't really bring anyone in. So I think he was disappointed with not building on what they had done the prior season. I think it's pretty reasonable that a head coach doesn't also want to be a head scout, but also does want to be backed by the club.

I also think time has proven Mourinho right in quite a lot of things, although he is also a flawed managerial personality. But there's no doubting his football knowledge.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I can't believe there are United fans who are preferring life with Ten Hag to life with Ole.
Stubbornness. If you posted multiple times on the caf about how inept Ole is as a manager, and how apparently that's why he hasn't found a managerial job since United, then I'd imagine it's difficult to admit that he gave us more enjoyable football than Ten Hag.

I enjoyed parts of Ten Hag's tenure last season, and up until a few months ago I thought he was the right man for the job. But if I were to list my favourite post-Fergie memories, our games under Ole would feature heavily in the top 10-15 and only one or two of our games under Ten Hag would make that list.

Personally I would bring Ole back for the remainder of the season. Nobody can argue that he doesn't know how to beat Pep's City. What have we got to lose by bringing him back for a few games?

Last edited: