Who replaces Ten Hag?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Terzic anyone?

Dortmund only lost title on last day last season, and in this seasons CL final.
Also he already won the DFB Pokal in his first stint as interim manager.

Besides that he is clueless in regard to tactics, set Dortmund on a terrible trajectory which rightfully saw them drop down to 5th spot in the league which is absolutely fair considering how shit they play. However his ideas seem to work against top teams in the CL. Nonetheless most Dortmund fans would be happy if you take him from them.

NoPace

The manager could just be a pragmatic yes man for the next few years anyway with the amount of underlying work needs done away from the position.

Getting the right guy in would be a huge bonus, but isn’t crucial right now (assuming there’s good work going on in the background)
Problem is it's probably going to be a long contract and there's no real evidence that Southgate can impose a tactical style on a team.

I can see the argument for looking at the holes in our squad and the injury issues and wanting a manager who can switch between 3 or 4 at the back depending on which players are in form/develop/settle well upon being brought in this summer, but I'd much prefer we just brought in someone who can impose a clear, positive system and buy some young players who fit into that mould.

Feels like all we're getting here is vibes and a higher floor than this season because we won't concede anywhere near as many chances.

hobbers

Tuchel or Luis Enrique are the best short term appointments, while keeping tabs on Iraola, McKenna, De Zerbi, Inzaghi, Motta and Amorim, to see who could be 'the guy' in 2-3 years time.

Bwuk

Could see Tuchel moving us to a 343

Onana
Dalot - Tobido - Martinez
Frimpong - Mainoo - Neves - Maatsen
Bruno - Garnacho
Hojlund​

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

Onana
Bruno - Garnacho
Hojlund​
To be fair, I can kind of see Dalot tucking his shirt in and doing a half decent impression of prime Azpilicueta in that kind of system.

next_number_seven

Tuchel or Luis Enrique are the best short term appointments, while keeping tabs on Iraola, McKenna, De Zerbi, Inzaghi, Motta and Amorim, to see who could be 'the guy' in 2-3 years time.
This exactly 100%.

Alternatively just gamble on McKenna.

Blood Mage

Southgate couldn't be worse than ETH. I didn't think I'd arrive at that point but here we are.

Blood Mage

Onana
Bruno - Garnacho
Hojlund​
No chance we get Frimpong he's the hottest RB in Europe right now and lots of big clubs will be sniffing.

hobbers

wow. I hope you are being sarcastic
He could be worse but I certainly wouldnt bet on it.

The disgusting thing about Southgate managing us is he would probably do the bare minimum for a while. Especially starting from as low a bar as "improve on finishing 8th". And knowing this place there'd be no shortage of posters raving about him if he took us from 8th with 55 points to the dizzying heights of 6th with 60 points.

Then we're back into Ole territory where we're wasting literally 3 years on a guy who we all know hasnt got the managerial ability to take us to the top (but instead of finishing 3rd and 2nd it's something like 6th and 5th).

Laurencio

wow. I hope you are being sarcastic
You honestly think Southgate would finish 8th-10th with 13-16 losses, more than 250 shots conceeded and a minus GD? Being better than ETH isn’t a particularly high bar at the moment.

the_cliff

If we get Southgate....

I mean, at least give us some sort of delusional hope INEOS, after such a shit season the announcement of Southgate will kill all the remaining small hope the fanbase has left.

How we've apparently hired 'experts' to make these decisions to then end up with Southgate who's done feck all in club management will practically kill all hope in the new regime before it's even started.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
You honestly think Southgate would finish 8th-10th with 13-16 losses, more than 250 shots conceeded and a minus GD? Being better than ETH isn’t a particularly high bar at the moment.
Southgate would get relegated. Like he did with Middlesborough, the only time he was club manager.

I know it is easy to hate on ETH right now, but fecking Southgate? For feck's sake!

sparx99

Onana
Bruno - Garnacho
Hojlund​
I said similar about Ruben Amorim in the transfer tweets thread.

Option 1 - 3-4-3
People will see Maguire or Varane in the middle of back three and be concerned. But Sporting have had Sebastian Coates there who isn't quick. He is flanked by Diomande and Inacio who cover for his lack of pace and you want the central one to be aerially dominant. And Bruno in Central Midfield seems really bold but Sporting have played Pedro Goncalves there against weaker teams and the point of 3 CB's is to cover for a softer central midfield. This is your attacking formation at home.

---------------------------- Onana ----------------------------
--------- Diomande -- Maguire -- Martinez -----
--- Dalot ----- Bruno ----- Mainoo ----- Shaw-----
----Garnacho ------- Hojlund ------Rashford------

Option 2 - 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-2-1

This option allows your to play a more traditional central midfielder alongside Mainoo for defensive help. Personally, I'd go with the 3-4-1-2 as that allows you to get Garnacho alongside Hojlund so you have two quick forwards to find.

--- Dalot --- New CM --- Mainoo ----- Shaw-----
-------------------- Bruno -- Mount -----------------------
--------------------------- Hojlund ---------------------------

--- Dalot --- New CM --- Mainoo ----- Shaw-----
---------------------------- Bruno -----------------------------
-----------------Garnacho --- Hojlund ------------------

Fallon d'Floor

Southgate would get relegated. Like he did with Middlesborough, the only time he was club manager.

I know it is easy to hate on ETH right now, but fecking Southgate? For feck's sake!
Solskjaer got Cardiff relegated and did an even worse job than Southgate did at Middlesbrough.

Ole didn't relegate United, nor would Southgate. He would be similar to Solskjaer.

I wouldn't exactly be jumping for joy at the prospect of hiring him. I would take pretty much any manager over ten Hag though. I don't think any of the other 19 PL managers who are currently employed would have done as badly as ten Hag has with the same squad this season. Most of them would have spent the money better also.

There's no reason why Southgate has to be hired anyway. There are lots of other options out there. This ten Hag vs Southgate choice doesn't have to be reality.

INEOS are idiots if they keep ten Hag and it would hard not to doubt them if they did hire Southgate. The solution is neither of them. Hire somebody else.

NoPace

Onana
Bruno - Garnacho
Hojlund​
My wild guess is it would look like this:

------------------------Onana-------------------------
----------Tobido-Maguire-Martinez--------- (Shaw, Lindelof, Young CB or Kambwalla)
Dalot---------#8-------#6---------Locko/Bard (Cheap RWB, Mainoo, McTominay, Shaw, Malacia)
---------------Bruno----Garnacho-------------- (Rashford, Mount, Amad)
----------------------Hojlund--------------------- (Striker)

with us missing out on Europe and thus Frimpong and Neves preferring other moves and say 4 for the starting XI at about 35M each on average (Onana and Todibo touch higher, the LWB and other #8 touch lower). One #8 is a passer, one is a shuttler. 7 signings is a ton, but we're talking about fairly cheap young signings for Dalot's backup and maybe Anselmino with that 18M clause and Martial, Varane, Casemiro and most of Eriksen, Antony and Sancho's wages off the books along with a fee for Wan-Bissaka, so that's 7 massive to decent sized wages out of the squad (or 6.5 with Wan-Bissaka in there)

Mainoo a sub for now as he develops, but maybe starts when a CB is dropped for 4 at the back.

But yeah, I think he'd just want Maguire kept around, Dalot at wingback and 2 new sitting midfielders.

NoPace

I'd put our over under for a league place at about 8.5 with Southgate here. We're in 8th right now but one of West Ham, Brighton, or Palace maybe passes us if they get things right, and maybe Newcastle or Villa with the stress of Europe slump.

We can concede 30% less shots, go from -3 GD to +10 or so and we still are as likely to finish 7th-9th as 4th-6th.

NoPace

I didn't realize the core McKenna's starting XI was mostly guys in their late 20s who haven't done a ton at the top level. That's really impressive. Hire him, admit we are rebuilding and nowhere close to competing for the league and CL and build nice and slow and sensibly. I get why they think Southgate is a safe way to start, but we do need someone tactically sharp.

next_number_seven

I didn't realize the core McKenna's starting XI was mostly guys in their late 20s who haven't done a ton at the top level. That's really impressive. Hire him, admit we are rebuilding and nowhere close to competing for the league and CL and build nice and slow and sensibly. I get why they think Southgate is a safe way to start, but we do need someone tactically sharp.
It's a phenomenal achievement.
Ipswich had finished 11th and 9th in L1 the previous two seasons. They were 12th in Dec '21 when he arrived. It's not like they'd just been relegated. They were a mid table L1 team when he took over.

He might be worth hiring. It's no more risky than anyone else.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Solskjaer got Cardiff relegated and did an even worse job than Southgate did at Middlesbrough.

Ole didn't relegate United, nor would Southgate. He would be similar to Solskjaer.

I wouldn't exactly be jumping for joy at the prospect of hiring him. I would take pretty much any manager over ten Hag though. I don't think any of the other 19 PL managers who are currently employed would have done as badly as ten Hag has with the same squad this season. Most of them would have spent the money better also.

There's no reason why Southgate has to be hired anyway. There are lots of other options out there. This ten Hag vs Southgate choice doesn't have to be reality.

INEOS are idiots if they keep ten Hag and it would hard not to doubt them if they did hire Southgate. The solution is neither of them. Hire somebody else.
Ole may have gotten relegated this season. We have insane injury crisis where even youth CB is not available and we are playing a midfielder as a CB. And we have only one striker, who also missed so many games that we have been playing Rashford as striker. etc. etc. etc. Ole had 5 strikers and more players than he knew what to do with them. Completely different situations

It's too easy to forget last season when Ten Hag exceeded all expectations and to just remember this shit season. I certainly want a better manager than Ten Hag and I am mad at him for many, many things just like you are, but even with all of that Ten Hag is objectively head and shoulders better couch than Ole or Southgate will ever be. It is a fact and has nothing to do with the fact that if there is a decent new manager availabel, I am happy to bring that person in, but it isn't Southgate, for crying out loud

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ole may have gotten relegated this season
The manager who was in 5th or 6th place in half a season with players like McFred midfield, AP, Lingard, James in attack, Brandon Williams as LB, Maguire, Lindelof as CB would have been relegated with players like Hojlund, Bruno, Rashford, Sancho, Antony, Eriksen, Casemiro, Mainoo?

We are in this position because we have arguably the worst manager in PL.

Daengophile

One thing the club really should be doing is working out why so many top coaches have failed at United

There will not be one silver bullet - but several reasons.

Structure
Squad skills
Age of players
Poor signings
Style of play
Support staff
Player attitude

And unless these issues are treated seriously, appointing a new coach who can deal with them in the interim will be another challenge

Football messiahs such as Busby and Ferguson come around every 60-70 years if at all

E-mal

One thing the club really should be doing is working out why so many top coaches have failed at United

There will not be one silver bullet - but several reasons.

Structure
Squad skills
Age of players
Poor signings
Style of play
Support staff
Player attitude

And unless these issues are treated seriously, appointing a new coach who can deal with them in the interim will be another challenge

Football messiahs such as Busby and Ferguson come around every 60-70 years if at all
Not that hard to workout, those top coaches have not done anything of note since they left united.
Moyes is still struggling to keep his job at WestHam
LVG never got a club team to manage after that, not a glowing remark for a top manager
Mourinho is fecking jobless and has endured double sackings since leaving us.
Ole has not got a job since he left and am pretty sure ETH will not get a top club once he leaves( believe those Munich rumours all you want)
So the proof is there that none of these managers where top managers.

I am not denying the fact that all the other issues you highlighted are not valid, in fact they are so valid that they are responsible for us appointing the wrong managers everytime

We should learn to see when something is not working out, either is a manager, player or director.

The only constant thing in a football club is the owners( for obvious reasons) and the supporters

didz

Why are people saying Luis Enrique? Will PSG even allow him to leave so easily?
I was hoping that after PSG went out of the CL he'd become a candidate, since they have a habit of sacking people for perceived underperformance in that competition.

We can probably rule him out now though. He seems committed and they seem happy to keep him another year. Hell, Barcelona even wanted him but realised full well that they'd have to wait til his contract is up in Paris.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The manager who was in 5th or 6th place in half a season with players like McFred midfield, AP, Lingard, James in attack, Brandon Williams as LB, Maguire, Lindelof as CB would have been relegated with players like Hojlund, Bruno, Rashford, Sancho, Antony, Eriksen, Casemiro, Mainoo?

Exactly.

Wilt

He really isn't.

Ole was pragmatic for a start. ETH is a stubborn idiot.
The obvious difference between ETH and Ole is….

Ten Hag will easily find another club, whereas nobody is interested in Ole.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The obvious difference between ETH and Ole is….

Ten Hag will easily find another club, whereas nobody is interested in Ole.
How does that matter. EtH might sign for Bayern and win 10 trebles in a row, doesn't change the fact that he is just failure at ManUtd and arguably our worst coach.

crossy1686

career ending

Upon reflection Ole worked miracles with the players he had available.

Wilt

How does that matter. EtH might sign for Bayern and win 10 trebles in a row, doesn't change the fact that he is just failure at ManUtd and arguably our worst coach.
That may be the case.

Just saying, unlike Ole, Ten Hag will not struggle to find another club.