Who replaces Ten Hag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diarm

I have a feeling it'll be Pochettino.
Me too.

A couple of years ago I'd have been dead against it because I just don't think he's a winner. But at this stage, we're miles off competing properly anyway so perhaps it's not the worst time for him. We need someone who can come in and build a team, and he does have previous for that. He's good at developing young lads and his players always seem ready to run through walls for him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Me too.

A couple of years ago I'd have been dead against it because I just don't think he's a winner. But at this stage, we're miles off competing properly anyway so perhaps it's not the worst time for him. We need someone who can come in and build a team, and he does have previous for that. He's good at developing young lads and his players always seem ready to run through walls for him.
Nah. Tons of managers come in and have 1 good impact and then fail to adapt with the game. Few show they can change with the times and stay ahead of the curve. Poch has very clearly shown that he had a good impact the first few years at Spurs which coincides with the luck of getting Kane, and got some top 4 finishes with no trophies. Well done. He then declined at Spurs, flopped at PSG, flopped at Chelsea (though don't blame him for that), while continuing to be a complainer.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Me too.

Ye he’s a likeable guy which always helps when wanting players to play well for you. At our club though you do need discipline and can’t let players get away with performing badly regularly.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Me too.

He's not my first choice but I would love to see what he can do with Amad, Kambwala, Hojlund, Garnacho et al. My first choice is Tuchel who is also decent with youth players but either would be better than what we have now in my opinion.

cpresc

2 years ago literally everyone here wanted McKenna (and Ole/Carrick) sacked and wanted Ten Hag over Poch

my my how things change.

My order would be:

1. Alonso
2. Arteta (lol)
3. Keep Ten Hag
4. Amorim (with Neves and Silva coming in)
5. Big Sam
6. Giggs till the end of the season
7. Poch
0. Tuchel, Potter, McKenna, Dyche and Moyes

AdNani

it's Pochettino i think, would be happy with either him or Tuchel but Poch has a good record with youngsters and does seem to be a good choice for building a team, whether or not he's the one who wins with the team is another thing

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Feel like McKenna is an exciting appointment, but probably too much too soon.

Think Poch would fail here badly, Tuchel has the personality to do well.

diarm

He's not my first choice but I would love to see what he can do with Amad, Kambwala, Hojlund, Garnacho et al. My first choice is Tuchel who is also decent with youth players but either would be better than what we have now in my opinion.
Tuchel gives me the heebie-jeebies to such an extent that he sits bottom of my list. Beside Southgate.

I don't want to spend two years watching pre and post match press conferences from behind my sofa with a sick bag.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Isn’t that referring to Poch? Or am I missing a joke? :lol:
McKenna was a coach at Spurs - feels obvious to me

Poch has been at multiple clubs since Spurs, can’t see it being this specific & him stating “coach” rather than manager and it not being McKenna being he has been coach at both United and Spurs

hobbers

I think there'd be good reasons for at least a bit of initial optimism with any of the following..

Have won stuff/experience - Tuchel, Poch, Flick (less likely - Zidane, Enrique)
Prem experience - RDZ, Frank (less likely - Ange)
Prospects - McKenna, Amorim (less likely - Motta, Iraola, Nagels)

The biggest reason to be optimistic would be if whoever is next manager is sacked quickly if they dont hit their targets, like in a proper football club.

Kellyiom

McKenna is making more sense to me the more I think about it if INEOS are going to appoint senior personnel to allow him to focus on coaching the team. It does seem like a huge step up but I guess he would be faced with keeping Ipswich up in any case so maybe?

Abraxas

Surely not Poch.

He hasn't got any credit to his name since Tottenham!

That's a long time in current football management. If it's harsh to say you're as good as your last job then you're certainly as good as your last two jobs. At PSG he did the bare minimum and not very impressively, at Chelsea that must go down as average at absolute best.

dinostar77

Think it will be Poch. Fergie is a big fan of his work at Spurs and wanted him here but they went with ten hag. Seeing as fergie is close to Ratcliffe camp, I wouldn't be surprised if it finally happens.

I like the idea of McKenna or DeZerbi as young up and coming managers, but it's a helluva ask for a young manager to turn this ship around.

Dve

My gut feeling goes with McKenna. Sounds like he's leaving Ipswich the way he talks about his future and the interests surrounding him at the moment. I just can't see him at Chelsea and I don't think Brighton is the most interesting project for any coach at the moment. Personally, I would be very happy with McKenna.

Laurencio

Nah. Tons of managers come in and have 1 good impact and then fail to adapt with the game. Few show they can change with the times and stay ahead of the curve. Poch has very clearly shown that he had a good impact the first few years at Spurs which coincides with the luck of getting Kane, and got some top 4 finishes with no trophies. Well done. He then declined at Spurs, flopped at PSG, flopped at Chelsea (though don't blame him for that), while continuing to be a complainer.
Harsh on Pochettino. No-one has done better with Spurs since, despite Kane arguably being in his prime after he left - they also had a much more significant budget after he left - he spent pennies and still finished 3r, 2nd and 3rd. With PSG he won the cup in his first season (took over in January) but lost out on the title by a single point to Lille. In his first full season in charge he won the league by 15 points, but was knocked out in the CL by the eventual champions Real Madrid. At Chelsea he started as badly as Potter, but there is no question that Chelsea have improved under him as the season progressed - Palmer especially has been amazing in his setup. If any team exemplified being well drilled, but lacking the ability in the playing staff to execute properly (Jackson -cough-), it was Chelsea this season.

We probably should have hired him over Ole, and in hindsight he might have been a less risky option than ETH (especially in recruitment). However I do not think we will hire him this time around either, although I do think he is a very good coach.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Me too.

It is Pochettino for me now. He might not win the premier league but we will have us playing attractive football and bring in more young players. If you watch basketball, Sun had good coaches but couldn't win until they hire Steve Kerr. Our overall quality of the squad is so bad so Pochettino is the right man to rebuild this team. Once this team is strengthen playing attractive football, we can hire a winning manager to get us across the line. That's how Ineos should approach this. We cannot expect United to instantly compete for now.

DSG

I think there'd be good reasons for at least a bit of initial optimism with any of the following..

Have won stuff/experience - Tuchel, Poch, Flick (less likely - Zidane, Enrique)
Prem experience - RDZ, Frank (less likely - Ange)
Prospects - McKenna, Amorim (less likely - Motta, Iraola, Nagels)

The biggest reason to be optimistic would be if whoever is next manager is sacked quickly if they dont hit their targets, like in a proper football club.
I mean… I’d rather any of them than Ten Hag tbh. People talk about hiring the next SAF, but other than the first group, SAF had won more (with Aberdeen!) than anyone else on the list. He had pedigree, and in those days, his natural step was to go to a big English team.

I would give Zidane, Tuchel, Luis Enrique a long leash, like 3-4 years. Tier 2 and 3 less so… if they can’t show progress in year 1 and more progress in year 2, I think you have to move on.

DSG

Harsh on Pochettino. No-one has done better with Spurs since, despite Kane arguably being in his prime after he left - they also had a much more significant budget after he left - he spent pennies and still finished 3r, 2nd and 3rd. With PSG he won the cup in his first season (took over in January) but lost out on the title by a single point to Lille. In his first full season in charge he won the league by 15 points, but was knocked out in the CL by the eventual champions Real Madrid. At Chelsea he started as badly as Potter, but there is no question that Chelsea have improved under him as the season progressed - Palmer especially has been amazing in his setup. If any team exemplified being well drilled, but lacking the ability in the playing staff to execute properly (Jackson -cough-), it was Chelsea this season.

We probably should have hired him over Ole, and in hindsight he might have been a less risky option than ETH (especially in recruitment). However I do not think we will hire him this time around either, although I do think he is a very good coach.
I agree with this, although Poch’s exit from the Spurs wasn’t great if memory serves. I think this season, by GD Chelsea might’ve pipped Villa and Spurs to 4th.

Kirk lazarus

I honestly don't think it matters who it is .
I don't think they will get enough time .

In Rainbows

2 years ago literally everyone here wanted McKenna (and Ole/Carrick) sacked and wanted Ten Hag over Poch
Not me. I was confused you guys lumped in McKenna with Carrick, or with Ole's failings. It never made sense to me.

Isn’t that referring to Poch? Or am I missing a joke? :lol:
Could be Poch or McKenna. McKenna was a very highly regarded youth coach at Spurs, so United took him from Spurs to coach our u18s.

Judas

Open to offers

my my how things change.
People's opinions changed over time?! Shocking stuff. Would you rather people were stubborn and didn't alter their views over time in align with what happens?

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Why are you even listing the former two with the latter.

If you remember that the Eredivisie is a third or fourth rate league in Europe, then Tuchel and Poch have wildly better cvs than ETH. Both are massive steps up in terms of experience and achievements in top level football.
I don't deny that they have much more experience and have better achievements in top level football than ETH. Both no doubt would be upgrades on ETH. However, I want the next appointment to be more exciting. Don't want us to go through the same shit cycle that we have been on for the last eleven years.

New manager, 200m spent, new manager bounce, scrape top 4, another 200m spent, struggle to make top 6, all the previous signings are deadwood.

I am tired of it and want us to get out of that. And that would require some careful planning and risk taking. Hopefully, the careful planning part would improve with the correct appointments in the upper management. This time players signed wouldn't become dead in 2 years time from this summer. The second part is what I worry about. Both Poch and Tuchel have middling records and nothing in their careers so far suggest that have the ability to take over and have us challenge consistently with the likes of City. I want us to take maximum risk for maximum rewards this time around. Someone young and upcoming who has potential of a huge upside and can get us back to the top again. It may crash and burn, but for me, it would be better than the same 2 season cycle that I mentioned above.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
People talk out of their asses when they claim to know about the workings of people below the manager. The team is always an image of the manager. The rest of the staff just works to bring that to fruition. No one knows what exactly Phelan did under Fergie or Carrrick and Mckenna did under Ole.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

With Tuchel and Pochettino there are 2 very good options available for free. Both get stick for the last season but as far as I can judge they would have been able to build on that and improve their teams next season but have not got the time.

Steve 007

Even in Poch most terrible year last year he’s an upgrade.

20 goals more than us. Just to point out we had a minus 1 goal difference.
Are we seriously saying Poch isn’t better than Southgate or Potter? Seriously?

Andersons Dietician

Felt pretty confident ETH would stay another year and keep building the team but now that Poch is on the market feels like they would move for the shiny toy. Joys, we can start an entirely new rebuild from step 1 again, have people complain he hasn’t won the champions league by year 2 sack him and start the cycle again.

At least hopefully this time there are people behind the scenes to try and keep a rebuild on the same path instead of jumping from one extreme to another.

Poch- United
ETH- Bayern
Zerbri- Chelsea

Suppose a lot depends on what happens with ETH as if he isn’t sacked can see Poch at Bayern.

Relfy

The standout candidate is Tuchel based on his achievements in the game. He’s managed at big clubs and has won trophies. Yes, he argues a bit, but he wants to be a pure coach which fits the new setup. He’d get players to back him and demand respect from the dressing room. His football isn’t the most exciting, but if he can drag us up the table we can evaluate after a couple of years.

Poch is decent and is further up the list than other options due to PL experience and being at big clubs before, but I don’t think he’s all that and seems to have a spell over people despite winning nothing and his best achievements being a long time ago.

De Zerbi is interesting as he had Brighton playing a defined style of football, which ETH hasn’t been able to do. The second half of the season was poor, results wise, but you’d back him to develop a style of play and have every player in the squad match it. It does open you up to the odd hiding as it’s only Plan A.

I hope it’s not Potter or Southgate. I can’t see either of them doing much and will likely be gone within a season. For what it’s worth, I’d prefer Potter.

Then, of course, we might keep ETH if we think solid replacements can come in and allow this currently suicidal brand of play to work. It looks unlikely right now and I’d imagine a decision has been made already and that Ineos want their own guy in charge.

Whatever they do, they need to do it early in the summer. With the Euros coming up there isn’t time to waste - we can’t be speaking to players/agents without being able to confirm who the head coach will be if they sign. We need to be decisive and that also applies to which players need to be shifted. Try and get business done quickly, allow the coach (new or current, whichever they decide) the time to spend on the training ground with the core group of players.

Martinez4midfield

Supports
Ajax
If you were impressed with Ten Hag off the back of good champion's league run then you should love poch!

AneRu

Cup wins don't impress me much and thats what was available to Poch during his time at Spurs but in the league he has again shown that he can conjure up a winning run to achieve club objectives. He works well with young players and we have lots in and around the first team plus this is something that will help balance the books.

We aren't winning the title anytime soon so Poch or Tuchel's title winning pedigree doesn't matter much. We need to be competitive first and to me that means consistently achieving top four and building on it. Let's achieve that first and if, in three seasons, we can look at finishes likes 4th, 3rd and 3rd all achieved with a squad of an average age of 26 then we will have done well and can build on such a solid foundation.

The young manager route is also a credible alternative and shouldn't be discarded entirely but you'd need your whole structure in place to make the right call because it just shouldn't be a young manager for the sake of his age only. McKenna looks great and has achieved great things but a call needs to be made on how he'd perform under pressure, can he change things mid season if performances aren't going to plan and can he exercise authority on the likes of Rashford, Shaw etc who tend to lose focus when the pressure is on.

Status
Not open for further replies.