Who replaces Ten Hag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Mainoo

It’s going to be McKenna, it’s been an unknown secret for a while and his promotion to the Prem only helped his cause. If it falls through however I’m sure we will just get Poch. Not a bad plan B.

Anyone but ETH to be honest.

saivet

While I don't think there is one stand out option, what's clear to me is that there are plenty of good managers and different types of managers. It won't be easy for Ineos to make the correct call, but failing to sack him would have me questioning their ability. We have safe but boring options, we have risky options, some with PL experience others without. There's not standout elite manager but you can't bank on Pep or Klopp level manager just becoming available.

Uncle Mainoo

Genuinely hope we don't go for McKenna this time around. Still way too early IMO. Chelsea making a move shouldn't be reason for us to
Are we chasing Chelsea’s tail if he was always our first choice? If anything they’ll just find out he’s not available.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
My knee is jerking a bit towards either Gasperini (probably not happening) or McKenna.

Other than that, why bother replacing Ten Hag? I don't see Southgate, Pochettino, Potter or De Zerbi bringing forth a new dynasty at United, and that is what we should be looking for. I actually still think ETH is a decent coach. His failings have mostly been in recruitment.

Wilt

Totally bizarre.

If not for Cole Palmer Chelsea would most likely have finished the season bottom half and Pochettino would be nowhere near the next Utd managers job.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
My knee is jerking a bit towards either Gasperini (probably not happening) or McKenna.

Other than that, why bother replacing Ten Hag? I don't see Southgate, Pochettino, Potter or De Zerbi bringing forth a new dynasty at United, and that is what we should be looking for. I actually still think ETH is a decent coach. His failings have mostly been in recruitment.
And bizarrely/stubbornly sticking to his tactical plan despite knowing that he doesn’t have the players to do so
And general football operations
And performances
And results

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

His coaching has been horrendous.

Nogbadthebad

We are the worst coached team in the premier league, possibly the top 2 or 3 leagues.

Watch wrexham, they have patterns of play and organization way beyond ours, with league 1 level players.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

Crazy that we have a United supporter asking this question after finishing 8th, finishing last in the CL group, shit football, crap defensively and in attack, -1 goal difference etc...yet here we are.

hobbers

If McKenna was smart he'd reject Chelsea and United offers. Stay with Ipswich for another season or go to Brighton.

Going to Chelsea or United could just ruin him.

ohhrooney

Was it early for Pep to join Barca or Alonso to join Leveruksen? Arteta to Arsenal, even Kompany is in running for Bayern, what’s the problem with McKenna?

Who decides it’s too early? We have tried all the possibilities in last 10 years and more, why can’t we try this now, something absolutely new for us. And even if it fails, we continue to try till we find the right one.

After all we have had just 3 managers in our entire history who have won the league.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If we sack ETH it’s obviously pochettino that replaces him. Just bound to happen.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If McKenna was smart he'd reject Chelsea and United offers. Stay with Ipswich for another season or go to Brighton.

Going to Chelsea or United could just ruin him.
I agree. But it’s one of them. A job like that doesn’t come around to often and it’s very very hard to turn down.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Totally bizarre.

If not for Cole Palmer Chelsea would most likely have finished the season bottom half and Pochettino would be nowhere near the next Utd managers job.
I always thought that Palmer started kicking on for Chelsea when Pochettino changed his attacking formation this season? They couldn't break down low blocks and used to rely on wide crosses, but then they switched to a system where they had two holding midfielders and Palmer was plopped into this roaming AM position where he could get behind defenses? They also inverted their wingers and started using more overlaps with the wingbacks. I'm probably wrong but it's what I remember folk saying.

I'm far from Poch's biggest supporter but he seems a lot more flexible than Ten Hag.

Edit; I think I got most of that from this video

doomy20

We won’t sack ETH for super majestic gambles like McKenna, Poch etc., not worth the risk and compensation. The only worthy replacement is Tuchel

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I revisited this (old) Tifo Football video on Poch and I'm almost at the stage of preferring him over the other options
Chelsea by all advanced metrics were a top 4 side this season and since January, their results match the metrics. He would be an excellent manager and a strong fit character wise to the club.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Chelsea by all advanced metrics were a top 4 side this season and since January, their results match the metrics. He would be an excellent manager and a strong fit character wise to the club.
A serial loser who believes that lemons give him magic powers?

I mean yeah, probably.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Was it early for Pep to join Barca or Alonso to join Leveruksen? Arteta to Arsenal, even Kompany is in running for Bayern, what’s the problem with McKenna?

Who decides it’s too early? We have tried all the possibilities in last 10 years and more, why can’t we try this now, something absolutely new for us. And even if it fails, we continue to try till we find the right one.

After all we have had just 3 managers in our entire history who have won the league.
In an ideal world they would have all gone to Brighton first, proved themselves there for two years and then gotten the big jobs. That's the way to do things.

Roboc7

Imagine the two leading contenders are now Tuchel and Poch. Next season though does provide an opportunity to have a bit of free hit in terms of there being a very low bar for improvement so maybe there is bit of a temptation to go for McKenna.

It just needs to be resolved very quickly after the Cup Final, I expect ETH is gone by Monday/Tuesday next week and hopefully the club can move very quickly to finalise his replacement.

NLunited

Leverkusen finished 6th before playing the second best season (in regard to points) and first unbeaten season in the history of the league. When it clicks, you don't have to spend years "establishing yourselves"
To be fair, Leverkusen spent years implementing their playing style. Peter Bosz was there.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
To be fair, Leverkusen spent years implementing their playing style. Peter Bosz was there.
True, but it wasn't working that well and they needed a bunch of great transfer ahead of this season to fix that.

NLunited

Poch sounds good to me, because the style at Chelsea is similar to what we were …. trying to do. They were a shambles and he improved them.

McKenna: would be a huge step up for him. Going to Brighton is probably better.

If we want a decent manager for a few years while we rebuild, Frank would fit the bill. Or give Ten Hag another year.

Poch or Ten Hag is what I’m thinking.

RedRocket9908

Poch sounds good to me, because the style at Chelsea is similar to what we were …. trying to do. They were a shambles and he improved them.

McKenna: would be a huge step up for him. Going to Brighton is probably better.

If we want a decent manager for a few years while we rebuild, Frank would fit the bill. Or give Ten Hag another year.

Poch or Ten Hag is what I’m thinking.
I dont think Poch is a viable option for us as he would want full controll of transfers and INEOS are highly unlikely to agree to give him that.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Crazy that we have a United supporter asking this question after finishing 8th, finishing last in the CL group, shit football, crap defensively and in attack, -1 goal difference etc...yet here we are.
It has been an awful season yes. No dressing that up. Last season was much better - most fans then thought Ten Hag was pretty great. Fans will always question the manager. Even SAF was under a lot of pressure in the early years. I really don't know about Ten Hag. He probably should go just based on accountability for this season and on clear and expensive recruitment mistakes, but I could easily seem him doing well elsewhere. The other side of my post is really about the other candidates. We really are going to need to find our next great manager to follow Busby and SAF. That has to be the way to look at it. I don't see much in the likes of Pochettino, Southgate etc. that suggest they have it. If we did that make that kind of change, it would just be another expensive false start I think. Have to find the right man.

Last edited:

AkaAkuma

What skills did McKenna show during the back to back promotions?
What stopped him showing these at United?
what transferable skills does he have which would benefit this current squad?

r0663664

Worships Man City
Why would Mckenna be good? He has done well in lower division where clubs has smaller budget but can he manage big stars at United? Nobody foreign players outside English knows who is McKenna but everyone knows who is Pochettino? How to do keep their ego in place? I don't think he is ready.

AkaAkuma

I always thought that Palmer started kicking on for Chelsea when Pochettino changed his attacking formation this season? They couldn't break down low blocks and used to rely on wide crosses, but then they switched to a system where they had two holding midfielders and Palmer was plopped into this roaming AM position where he could get behind defenses? They also inverted their wingers and started using more overlaps with the wingbacks. I'm probably wrong but it's what I remember folk saying.

I'm far from Poch's biggest supporter but he seems a lot more flexible than Ten Hag.

Edit; I think I got most of that from this video

Are there any parallels with the role Alli had at spurs?
I also wonder if his appointment would increase Bruno’s scoring.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Are there any parallels with the role Alli had at spurs?
I also wonder if his appointment would increase Bruno’s scoring.
Yeah I've always wondered that as well. We'd probably need Bruno to become a beast again due to the amount of goals we'd concede!

DavelinaJolie

I revisited this (old) Tifo Football video on Poch and I'm almost at the stage of preferring him over the other options
The problem is, if the reports about the circumstances of his leaving Chelsea are true, then I don't think he necessarily fits into the structure we're trying to create? Seems more like we want a head coach rather than a manager sort that has fingers in all the pies.

Status
Not open for further replies.