Who replaces Ten Hag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We need someone willing to build a squad over the next few years. None of this ‘we’re going to play to my system whether we have the players or not’. I’ve said it before but if we need to play counter attack for a couple of seasons to cement ourselves as top 4 while we rebuild the squad, then do it and bring a manager in that’s willing to do whatever it takes for the league position and a long term goal.
And have most of our fan base whinging again. Counter attacking won’t win us many games because under Ole the smaller teams knew that was all we was good at so they sat deep. How can you counter a deep team? This season teams know that we leave spaces open left right and centre hence why we get attacked on a lot more. Hopefully this is the start of a clear out and bringing in players who fit the style the owners want the manager to implement and stick with it. If we finish 7th but have at least shown improvements in the style of play then so be it and then we just build again the year after which by then most of the squad should be comfortable playing that way.

Louis Van Gonads

There isn’t one option that I’d be buzzing about.

Unless they bring in Ryan Giggs with Keano assistant. :p

Dazzmondo

Wouldn't suit the high pressured environment that is the United gig. Has achieved about as much in his management career as the other two.
He's won a league and 2 cups with PSG and reached a CL final with Spurs. Even if you think he should have won more, he's definitely achieved more than Potter or Southgate

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Wait, what? Chelsea parting ways with Pochettino means we should stick with Ten Hag? :wenger:

Bizarre take
I'm not saying we should keep him because of Chelsea, but holding Chelsea up as an example of how to run a club would almost be a reason to just do the opposite.

Frank Grimes

McKenna or poch probably are the best option from a bad bunch. Really don’t rate zerbi
De Zerbi could be miles ahead of Mckenna. We don't know how Mckenna will do in top league. De Zerbi brought Brighton to Europe.

Tuchel is clearly the most accomplished available manager but he is apparently not on the shortlist.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If Poch, Potter or Southgate happens to be Ten Hag replacement it will prove to me nothing has changed and the people making the decisions at this club are as incompetent as ever.
Why are you lumping Poch, a guy who got Tottenham into the champions league final for goodness sake in with those other 2?

Dazzmondo

Good points. I’m undecided on what to think with De Zerbi. Love the way his team play but when his teams lose they lose ugly and he plays a bit open similar to ETH so he’s always got a battering in him. Poch is great with youth players and I can see Garnacho, Mainoo and Højlund shining under him but I don’t think he’s a winner. He’ll be good to get us challenging for top 4 every year but can he win a title. McKenna is one for the future… let’s see him have a season in the prem with Ipswich first
Unlikely anyone will be capable of this within the next 3 years, so don't think that's a valid reason to disqualify Poch. We can always make another change in 2-3 years if we think we need someone else to bring us to title contention

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Unlikely anyone will be capable of this within the next 3 years, so don't think that's a valid reason to disqualify Poch. We can always make another change in 2-3 years if we think we need someone else to bring us to title contention
Fair point. But I meant in general is he capable? He came close in the 16/17 season. Just don’t really see him as a winner.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I'd go for those two before the likes of Potter,Poch or Southgate.
That is my point. Everyone has his favorites and valid pros and cons reasons . Even between Klopp and Pep fanbase would be 50:50.
I would never go for McKenna for example but i would love to see Tuchel or Poch.

Dazzmondo

Fair point. But I meant in general is he capable? He came close in the 16/17 season. Just don’t really see him as a winner.
A fair question in the long-term, but for now we should probably be focused on who's going to help us progress, and he definitely did that at Spurs even if he never quite got them over the line. I'm still in favour of Tuchel btw, but I see the benefits of Poch too. I'm hoping that we see progress and establish ourselves as a CL team again for the next couple seasons. Then, regardless of who the manager is, we can hopefully look to push for a title challenge. If Poch doesn't look up to it, we can look to the manager market again. Managers should only stay at a club long term if they're succeeding.

always_hoping

He's won a league and 2 cups with PSG and reached a CL final with Spurs. Even if you think he should have won more, he's definitely achieved more than Potter or Southgate
Winning a French league with PSG or any domestic cup isn't worth taking about as it's low hanging fruit. How under his watch that he somehow allowed lille win the league title is worth discussing though and something I doubt Potter or Southgate would have managed if in charge. Ten Hag with Ajax took out of a lot of the big hitters in that CL campaign and Ajax left a CL final appearance behind them v Spurs.

Why are you lumping Poch, a guy who got Tottenham into the champions league final for goodness sake in with those other 2?
His seems to get built up higher and for longer than most for that CL final appearance. Does Roberto Di Matteo get talked up as much? after all he led Chelsea who was the 6th best in the PL to the CL title in 2012.

Dazzmondo

Winning a French league with PSG or any domestic cup isn't worth taking about as it's low hanging fruit. How under his watch that he somehow allowed lille win the league title is worth discussing though and something I doubt Potter or Southgate would have managed if in charge. Ten Hag with Ajax took out of a lot of the big hitters in that CL campaign and Ajax left a CL final appearance behind them v Spurs.

His seems to get built up higher and for longer than most for that CL final appearance. Does Roberto Di Matteo get talked up as much? after all he led Chelsea who was the 6th best in the PL to the CL title in 2012.
He took over halfway through that season, so half of the blame for that needs to go on Tuchel. Poch did make Spurs into a consistent CL team also and had them competing for the title in several seasons. It's not just getting to a CL final that was impressive. The teams that finished above him in the league on most occasions were spending more money than Spurs.

Btw, your point on Potter or Southgate managing to beat Lille taking over halfway through the season is based on what exactly? Because I doubt many would seriously claim Southgate and Potter are better managers than Tuchel and Poch. In the end PSG only finished 1 point behind Lille.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Not sure where he disappeared to, but clearly he'd rank higher than the non cup winners.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
If we are going to sack ETH then I hope we are actually working on his replacement behind the scenes now. Chelsea and others seem well on with getting their coach sorted, and it would be typical of us to wait until everyone is gone to sack him and then start wondering who to go for.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Maresca and McKenna, apparantly favoured by Chelsea, should be two candidates Man Utd know well and have much input on.

always_hoping

He took over halfway through that season, so half of the blame for that needs to go on Tuchel. Poch did make Spurs into a consistent CL team also and had them competing for the title in several seasons. It's not just getting to a CL final that was impressive. The teams that finished above him in the league on most occasions were spending more money than Spurs.

Btw, your point on Potter or Southgate managing to beat Lille taking over halfway through the season is based on what exactly? Because I doubt many would seriously claim Southgate and Potter are better managers than Tuchel and Poch. In the end PSG only finished 1 point behind Lille.
PSG was one point off the top of the French table when Tuchel departed. It's a low hanging fruit of a competition that no PSG team regardless who they are managed by should be losing.

crossy1686

career ending
And have most of our fan base whinging again. Counter attacking won’t win us many games because under Ole the smaller teams knew that was all we was good at so they sat deep. How can you counter a deep team? This season teams know that we leave spaces open left right and centre hence why we get attacked on a lot more. Hopefully this is the start of a clear out and bringing in players who fit the style the owners want the manager to implement and stick with it. If we finish 7th but have at least shown improvements in the style of play then so be it and then we just build again the year after which by then most of the squad should be comfortable playing that way.
People can moan all they want as long as we’re finishing in the top 4.

The managers job is to get the best out of the current players and coach them to be better. If that means counter attack until he can get different players in or coach the current lot to be better then so be it.

Players like Rashford and Bruno are still going to be here, and we’re not going to sign De Jong and De Brunye to replace them so this will be a process. Winning games is more important than playing to a system.

zenith

Horrible alternatives to ETH. No one inspires confidence, including poch who just gives me nice guy but underachiever vibes.

Dazzmondo

Horrible alternatives to ETH. No one inspires confidence, including poch who just gives me nice guy but underachiever vibes.
What managers in the world, regardless of whether or not they're realistic, would actually inspire confidence in you?

UpWithRivers

Why is everyone saying the market is shit? Isnt it better than any year? Loads of good managers available both experienced and young managers. Ok they are not Pep but if thats what we are waiting for then we might as well give ETH a 20 year contract. I think United fans are just mind fkd from so many disappointments that its better to stick with the sht we have than get their hopes up just to be disappointed again. I think we are broken

Dazzmondo

Why is everyone saying the market is shit? Isnt it better than any year? Loads of good managers available both experienced and young managers. Ok they are not Pep but if thats what we are waiting for then we might as well give ETH a 20 year contract. I think United fans are just mind fkd from so many disappointments that its better to stick with the sht we have than get their hopes up just to be disappointed again. I think we are broken
People on here just want to complain no matter what I think

tjb

I honestly don't know which manager would please them outside of Klopp and Pep. People seem to want these obscure managers coming out of nowhere that can surprise, but the truth is, with the way media works now, everyone is known. There is no untainted manager. In addition, the relatively obscure ( in a big league) ones are risky. Look at ETH. If he managed in Italy, Spain or Germany, we could have been able to spot a lot of his managerial gaps prior to his arrival. There's a reason Brendan Rodgers can dominate in Scotland.

For me, another weird take that's getting thrown out is this idea of a short term manager. Unless, like LVG, the manager is old; a manager's term has to do with their will and their success at the club. Pep would have been considered a short term manager by many here given how he left Barca and Bayern, but look how long he's been at City.

vivaronaldo

He did more than that
yeah , avoided us getting relegated as per his other gigs

cmon he never even remotely comes close to a job like that given his mangerial resume , he was clearly backed on his reputation within the club and nothing more ...more time wasted

Status
Not open for further replies.