Who replaces Ten Hag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
If we appoint any of Pochettino, De Zerbi, McKenna, Southgate or Potter, I will be absolutely gutted. Two major trophies between the FIVE names (both Poch at PSG).

Sums up the state of our club.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If we appoint any of Pochettino, De Zerbi, McKenna, Southgate or Potter, I will be absolutely gutted. Two major trophies between the FIVE names (both Poch at PSG).

So who are you suggesting then?

Dazzmondo

I think I'd rather have De Zerbi than Poch, actually. I like the way his sides play. I did enjoy watching Spurs under Poch as well, though, so what do I know.
A question I've been thinking about is who does our squad suit best at the moment? I could see arguments for both.
If you're asking who our current squad suits more, there's absolutely no doubt about it, this side is much closer to what Poch would want.

mu4c_20le

Sums up the state of the market you mean

mancsarered

I've wanted him out for most of this season, and his tactics have aged me a decade, but with the current options available, I think you let him have another season under the INEOS regime. Let him get a few new players (INEOS-minded transfers not just players with Eredivisie roots) to prove that this season was a fluke.

It's easy to say his style of play has been shite due to the number of injuries to keep first XI players, but if we rack up another injury list next season it's got to be down to his training methods, fitness coaches, etc.

This also gives INEOS more time to get their ducks in a row before appointing the first manager of their regime. We're so shite at the moment that I don't think another Ten Hag season sets us back more than a rash hire to get in a fresh face.

Dazzmondo

Thomas Tuchel would be my choice, but I have reservations on him too, he seems a difficult character to work with.
I mean, if you have issues with Tuchel aswell, there's not really any pleasing you. Guardiola, Klopp or Ancelotti aren't going to randomly decide to join us. Feels like people just want to complain no matter who is suggested

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I mean, if you have issues with Tuchel aswell, there's not really any pleasing you. Guardiola, Klopp or Ancelotti aren't going to randomly decide to join us. Feels like people just want to complain no matter who is suggested
I was happy with Ten Hag and I would be happy with Tuchel. I would be extremely unhappy with the 5 individuals I mentioned, that's all I was saying. I would also take Amorim.

mu4c_20le

I've wanted him out for most of this season, and his tactics have aged me a decade, but with the current options available, I think you let him have another season under the INEOS regime. Let him get a few new players (INEOS-minded transfers not just players with Eredivisie roots) to prove that this season was a fluke.

It's easy to say his style of play has been shite due to the number of injuries to keep first XI players, but if we rack up another injury list next season it's got to be down to his training methods, fitness coaches, etc.

This also gives INEOS more time to get their ducks in a row before appointing the first manager of their regime. We're so shite at the moment that I don't think another Ten Hag season sets us back more than a rash hire to get in a fresh face.
Keeping him would most likely mean giving him a new contract, so I can't see that happening, even if we somehow fluke the cup final. He's simply well past his sell by date. And if reports are to be believed, he's lost the faith of some of the players, even the young ones. He may not be a useless manager but he's certianly not a great one, at least not in the PL, and keeping him would only end up like Ole's final season where the wheels come off and morale plummets.

mctrials23

I doubt that; Guardiola has won trophies consistently at every club he has managed, including the Barcelona B team. Of course the clubs he has managed, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and City, all had plenty of money to spend, but, as we've seen at United these last 10 years or so, having plenty of money means nothing unless its spent wisely on players who are suitable. Sir Alex did this throughout his managerial career, and Pep is the same. Pochettino had bags of money at PSG and Chelsea are not exactly paupers, but he couldnt even buy consistent performances let alone success. Poch is a show pony.
Thats somewhat of a strange comparison. PSG have been the plaything of the owners for years. You don't tend to have managers saying "sure, lets have 3+ players who do absolute nothing for the team but attack". Thats the owners. PSG haven't won the CL for a reason.

As for Pep, he has taken over generational teams/talent everywhere he has gone and has never been at any club that isn't expected to be absolutely firm favourites for their league once he progressed past Barca B. He has also gone to teams with heaps of money each time. Comparing them is silly.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
English posters (who follow English media closer than us foreign fans) will know this maybe; how come journos close to club (Ornstein, Luckhurst and others) don't have any rumours about future manager or ETH's faith?

It is very quiet lately about all that.

OsloRed

English posters (who follow English media closer than us foreign fans) will know this maybe; how come journos close to club (Ornstein, Luckhurst and others) don't have any rumours about future manager or ETH's faith?

I'm not an English poster, but it seems like INEOS is much better at keeping things under the wraps than the former management. It might also be that they have decided to stick with EtH, in that case there would be less to leak.

redmanx

Thats somewhat of a strange comparison. PSG have been the plaything of the owners for years. You don't tend to have managers saying "sure, lets have 3+ players who do absolute nothing for the team but attack". Thats the owners. PSG haven't won the CL for a reason.

As for Pep, he has taken over generational teams/talent everywhere he has gone and has never been at any club that isn't expected to be absolutely firm favourites for their league once he progressed past Barca B. He has also gone to teams with heaps of money each time. Comparing them is silly.
Im not comparing Pep and Poch, there is no comparisom; Pep is a winner.

Dazzmondo

If I was to guess, it's because INEOS don't want any rumours before the cup final to avoid distractions. Good chance Di Marzio got this info from De Zerbi or one of the other potential managerial candidates, who undoubtedly would have been made aware of the situation to ensure they don't take another job in the meantime.

Cerberus

Lack of sources close to Ineos most likely since they only just established their presence in English football.

AdNani

Give him another year to see out his contract. Assess next year, there will be managers available.
why? what have you seen this year that warrants giving him another year?

there's also lots of managers available now, might not be if we wait

always_hoping

If Poch, Potter or Southgate happens to be Ten Hag replacement it will prove to me nothing has changed and the people making the decisions at this club are as incompetent as ever.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If it was between these 3, McKenna, pochettino or De Zerbi. Who you having in what order and why?

Dazzmondo

If Poch, Potter or Southgate happens to be Ten Hag replacement it will prove to me nothing has changed and the people making the decisions at this club are as incompetent as ever.
Why would Poch be thrown in with the other 2?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
For every single manager you can find reasons why yes and why not.
De Zerbi; unproven, played nice football with Brighton
Klopp; not available
Pep; not available
Poch: failed in last job, good spell in Spurs
Tuchel: failed in his last job, serial winner
Jose: in decline, won everything
Don Carlo: staying in Real
Simeone: too defensive, excellent coach
Southgate; not good enough in club football, good spell in NT
Potter: failed in Chelsea but played nice football in Brighton
Xabi: signed new contract
McKenna: talented, completely unproven
Amorim: talented but unproven at biggest stage.

Every manager is a risk these days.

gaffs

If it was between these 3, McKenna, pochettino or De Zerbi. Who you having in what order and why?
De Zerbi - has defined style of playing football and has been able to implement his coaching style. Unlike ETH, i dont think he would compromise and drop his philosophy after a couple of games (or make excuses because he didn't get seemingly the only player in the world that was required to play his system - like ETH did with Frenkie De Jong).
I like the idea of being able to judge him based on that style of player.
Pochettino - PL and CL experience, seems to work well with good players.
McKenna - Real leap of faith.

next_number_seven

Klopp; not available
Pep; not available

I wouldn't Poch failed at Chelsea, I'd say he started slow.

If you ignore the first 6 games, Chelsea came 4th.
Over the last 13 games, Chelsea came 3rd.

So he did a good job once he had time.

Last edited:

gaffs

Klopp; not available
Pep; not available

Hasn't this always be the case? No manager, or signing, comes with a guarantee.

frostbite

Ipswich Town boss Kieran McKenna has been named the League Managers Association's manager of the year.

The 38-year-old, who led Ipswich back to the Premier League after a 22-year absence, beat Manchester City's Pep Guardiola and Arsenal's Mikel Arteta to win the award.

Everton manager Sean Dyche, Aston Villa's Unai Emery and Portsmouth boss John Mousinho were also on the LMA's shortlist.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/ckkkzw3xnxpo

crossy1686

career ending
Maybe he’s not good enough? I’m not a particular fan of his but I know for a fact Ten Hag isn’t up to it so why not give someone else a chance? If it doesn’t work we can just sack him also when someone else comes available we like the look of. People really need to move away from this thinking that you need to give every manager at least 3 years and all their ‘own’ players

Marching On!

There aren’t many who wouldn’t be an upgrade based on what we’ve seen this season.

I’d take a modified Magic 8 ball that spits out random formations and selections over another season with this gas lighting mad-man at the helm.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
De Zerbi - has defined style of playing football and has been able to implement his coaching style. Unlike ETH, i dont think he would compromise and drop his philosophy after a couple of games (or make excuses because he didn't get seemingly the only player in the world that was required to play his system - like ETH did with Frenkie De Jong).
I like the idea of being able to judge him based on that style of player.
Pochettino - PL and CL experience, seems to work well with good players.
McKenna - Real leap of faith.
Good points. I’m undecided on what to think with De Zerbi. Love the way his team play but when his teams lose they lose ugly and he plays a bit open similar to ETH so he’s always got a battering in him. Poch is great with youth players and I can see Garnacho, Mainoo and Højlund shining under him but I don’t think he’s a winner. He’ll be good to get us challenging for top 4 every year but can he win a title. McKenna is one for the future… let’s see him have a season in the prem with Ipswich first

crossy1686

career ending
Good points. I’m undecided on what to think with De Zerbi. Love the way his team play but when his teams lose they lose ugly and he plays a bit open similar to ETH so he’s always got a battering in him. Poch is great with youth players and I can see Garnacho, Mainoo and Højlund shining under him but I don’t think he’s a winner. He’ll be good to get us challenging for top 4 every year but can he win a title. McKenna is one for the future… let’s see him have a season in the prem with Ipswich first
We need someone willing to build a squad over the next few years. None of this ‘we’re going to play to my system whether we have the players or not’. I’ve said it before but if we need to play counter attack for a couple of seasons to cement ourselves as top 4 while we rebuild the squad, then do it and bring a manager in that’s willing to do whatever it takes for the league position and a long term goal.

always_hoping

Klopp; not available
Pep; not available

I'd go for those two before the likes of Potter,Poch or Southgate.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Tuchel or Poch are very underwhelming options. Neither inspire any confidence.

I have always felt that if even after 5 or 6 seasons there is still a debate on whether a player is good enough or not, then most likely he isn't a top player. The same is true for managers. These two have done the rounds and have shown little in terms of being truly elite managers. Tuchel atleast has won a CL; Poch has done nothing besides winning a league with a team where tbh most will win due to the massive advantage they over the other teams in the league.

I am coming to the conclusion that if Potter/Southgate/Tuchel/Poch are the choices then I would rather roll the dice with ETH for another season. And I can barely stand the man.

hobbers

I am coming to the conclusion that if Potter/Southgate/Tuchel/Poch are the choices then I would rather roll the dice with ETH for another season. And I can barely stand the man.
Why are you even listing the former two with the latter.

If you remember that the Eredivisie is a third or fourth rate league in Europe, then Tuchel and Poch have wildly better cvs than ETH. Both are massive steps up in terms of experience and achievements in top level football.

Status
Not open for further replies.