Who replaces Ten Hag?

Irwin99

I like Poch but I'm not sure he could build a winning team here or if we'd get the player clearout we need.

It'd be kind of funny if we're doing the good cop, bad cop routine again in managers, following up a renowned disciplinarian with a softer touch approach yet again: Jose/Ole, EtH/Poch.

Judas

Open to offers
Poch and winning team don't really go hand in hand, do they? I can't honestly imagine him ever winning the league here, I just simply don't think he's got that in him.

justboy68

We've been linked with Poch forever, does seem like something that could happen. I do think he's a good coach, but not convinced it's the right call for us now.

leeroyTX

We've been linked with Poch forever, does seem like something that could happen. I do think he's a good coach, but not convinced it's the right call for us now.
He did get that s***show moving in the right direction over the last couple of months. They had a bucket load of injuries and a whacky roster to navigate…along with a 78-yr old center half. Their only losses since Feb 1 were to City, Arsenal and Liverpool. I’ll never blame anyone for not winning a trophy with Spurs.

I’m not entirely convinced he’s the guy either, but it’s hard not to believe he’ll be one of the first calls assuming EtH is gone next week.

Eddy_JukeZ

Hard pass on Pochettino.

Upgrade on ETH, but I'd rather hire an up and coming manager with unrealized/greater potential.

Pochettino is pretty much who he is at this point.

USREDEVIL

These "breaking news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" posts about "x manager" would consider a move to Manchester United are so pathetically clickbaity. Which manager absent a handful would not?

vivaronaldo

Hard pass on Pochettino.

Upgrade on ETH, but I'd rather hire an up and coming manager with unrealized/greater potential.

are you not sick of the united mangerial role being used as an apprenticeship with catastophic consequences for these "up and coming, next generation" managers

you said yourself its an upgarde on eth , is that not what we want

lsd

The Oracle
Why do people rate Pochettino? His haul of trophies is mediocre to say the least - With PSG he won Ligue 1 in France 21/22, French Cup 2021 and the French equivalent of the Charity Shield at a time when PSG were probably the richest club in the world and streets head of every other French club.
At Spurs he managed runners up in the League Cup in 2014 and runners up EUFA Cup and at Chelsea won the EFL Cup. He's no Pep Guardiola, let alone a Sir Alex!
Yes his teams play nice, pretty football but Poch is not a winner as are none of the teams he manages. The French Ligue 1 has so little quality and competition I think my granny could have taken PSG to success. Pochs level was found out at Southampton and then confirmed Spurs, he is not a manager to inspire confidence leading to success.

If Pep managed Spurs you would be saying the same thing about him

NLunited

I wonder if Liverpool would have still chosen Slot right now?
Yes probably. Don’t see them choosing Poch or DeZerbi over Slot. Slot is a lot like Pep but costs less. AldiPep.

It’s good for us, if we decide Ten Hag goes. Both Poch and DeZerbi could be good for us (I’d pick Poch).

Last edited:

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
We need a manager with elite team experience to manage club and fan expectations and the egos. The irony is we aren't a top team now but we behave like we are in all aspects except in our performances.

Marcus

We need a manager with elite team experience to manage club and fan expectations and the egos. The irony is we aren't a top team now but we behave like we are in all aspects except in our performances.
I agree. So a Zidane as manager who has been there and done that. Alternatively, we could butcher the squad of established stars and go with young and hungry players who will be willing to learn from a coach who instils discipline (not just EtH but maybe a Potter type). Really depends on the direction of the club. Galacticos or All for One. The best is both of course.

Yakuza_devils

For those saying we should keep ETH because there are no obvious candidate available. Chelsea just sacked their manager who finish above us playing much better football with non support from the Chelsea football structure which is in a mess and need to integrate lots of random new players signings.

Poch has done very well all things considered yet he is sacked.

Marcus

For those saying we should keep ETH because there are no obvious candidate available. Chelsea just sacked their manager who finish above us playing much better football with non support from the Chelsea football structure which is in a mess and need to integrate lots of random new players signings.

True. But we don't know yet if that was a wise decision.

Judas

Open to offers
are you not sick of the united mangerial role being used as an apprenticeship with catastophic consequences for these "up and coming, next generation" managers

Huh? When have we actually done that? Ole is about as youthful and "up and coming" as its got. Ten Hag had plenty of experience, as did the rest, all failed one way or another.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I hope it's not Pochettino. I didn't want him when there were talks of him a few seasons ago and don't want him when he has done the rounds and has not had much success at other clubs. He is a perennial runner-up. Finished 3rd in a season where his Spurs team should have won the title. Never won a trophy with them, although he did well to keep them in the top 4. Nothing much to write home about at PSG and his latest Chelsea stint.

He is good if we are looking to become a top 4 club, but not good enough to win trophies. Doesn't seem to have the bottle or the charisma to be a winner. A solid NO from me.

Yakuza_devils

Chelsea has set the bar. Our bar will be so much lower if we keep ETH. If this is the best Ineos can come out with after all the talk of best in class in every position then I don't think much have change Ineos vs Glazers.

We don't appoint Berrada, Ashworth and Wilcox to continue Glazers failed policies

Steve 007

This is a no brainer.
Poch.
Worked amazingly with Southampton.

Got Spurs to UCL final, I’ll say that again SPURS.

Managed massive egos at PSG and won as much as anyone else who’s done that job.

Went into a complete shambles at Chelsea where two supposedly top top mangers Tuchel and Potter couldn’t survive and after a bad start got them playing good football and moving a long way up the table.

We need him as there literally is no one else.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

When have we hired an up and coming manager? Everyone we’ve hired has been an experienced manager but unfortunately either past their best or simply not good enough. IF McKenna is a top manager in the making then I don’t care how old he is - we aren’t challenging for the next 3-4 years either way. Having said that, top manager potential is a very very rare thing so it’s more likely he doesn’t have but the club would have to meet him and judge that.

SirBillNic

Supports
Spurs
Poch and winning team don't really go hand in hand, do they? I can't honestly imagine him ever winning the league here, I just simply don't think he's got that in him.
There's no manager in the world who can come into any premier league team and compete with Guardiola's City imo. At least not without a few years of building. So if that's the standard then I think no matter who you get they'll come up short. Ten Hag certainly isn't going to get the better of Pep in a league format.

I think you've got to lower the bar a bit, and when you do that Poch looks like a very good choice to me particularly with the players United have and could bring in this summer. I imagine Garnacho, Mainoo, Hojlund, Rashford, Sancho, Amad, Olise if you sign him would all thrive with Poch. Add a defensive midfielder like Onana or Palhinha and one or two CBs and suddenly it's looking a lot like a Poch team, in a good way.

Plus if I was a player I'm pretty sure I know who I would rather work for and with every day. What I know about him is he's a superb coach and man manager, but not great for picking transfer targets. But United have a new structure that should handle that part. So to me looks a pretty good fit and I think he'd do much better than Ten Hag.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
A simple question for those of you who have turned or are turning on Erik.

Who replaces him?

Who is out there and available/willing to come here who is better than ETH or can make a real difference that Erik cannot?

Who can polish this shitshow of a club into a well oiled winning machine.
Enlighten me please, I’m struggling to name anyone. And no @Amadaeus its not Poch. :rolleyes:
That bolded part becoming funny now. :lol:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Hard pass on Pochettino.

If he was an upgrade we’d have chose him over ETH? Don't recall pochettino ever winning anything in England with either spurs or Chelsea. In fact hasn’t he only ever won anything in a 1 team league? With PSG

Oldyella

When have we done that? It's the one thing we haven't tried so far.

Cloud7

When have we done that? It's the one thing we haven't tried so far.
I'm curious about that as well.

I am not sure who they are referring to?

My assumption is that its Ole and ETH that the poster is referring to, both of whom, while United was their first big job, they were both managers for quite some time before they came to United, so you wouldn't really call them 'up and coming, next generation'. That is a title I would reserve for, say, Mourinho at Porto or Pep at Barcelona, or Arteta at Arsenal.

Eddy_JukeZ

If he was an upgrade we’d have chose him over ETH? Don't recall pochettino ever winning anything in England with either spurs or Chelsea. In fact hasn’t he only ever won anything in a 1 team league? With PSG
In hindsight, he would have been the slightly better hire.

ETH just had more of an unknown about him.

Oldyella

I'm curious about that as well.

I am not sure who they are referring to?

My assumption is that its Ole and ETH that the poster is referring to, both of whom, while United was their first big job, they were both managers for quite some time before they came to United, so you wouldn't really call them 'up and coming, next generation'. That is a title I would reserve for, say, Mourinho at Porto or Pep at Barcelona, or Arteta at Arsenal.
Yep. Managers in or coming out of their first job is how I would picture it.

Cloud7

In hindsight, he would have been the slightly better hire.

ETH just had more of an unknown about him.
ETH over Poch was the right hire at the time. ETH looked like he had the potential to achieve more than Poch. That it's not worked out is a shame, but I am still glad that we made the choice to see what ETH can do.

Daengophile

For once we seem to be in the position of potentially looking for a manager at the right time with plenty of reasonable contenders immediately available.

The caf will do the caf thing with a series of factions - but remember where we have been in the past with appointments and bear in mind the condition of the senior squad. There's huge work to be done before we kick a ball in anger once more

Schmeichels pinky

It’s obvious that many just base their opinions on whether a manager has won trophies or not. It’s like the player threads where many fail to see performances in context.

Regarding Poch though, I think questions are warranted. He did an impressive job at Spurs, but seemed to not get the best out of the players in finals.

I still think Thomas Frank is vastly underrated, and he’s the only one of the mentioned potential candidates who ticks all my boxes except for experience at a big club. He has shown that he’s capable of both possession based dominance and low block, high pressure counter attacking. He works at a club with a clear strategy in place and respect the model, adapts his style to the players and evolve from season to season implementing his own ideas. He’s both respected as coach and human being, well liked at the club and by the players. And he’s excellent at managing games. I think he has the potential to transform this team into a coherent winning machine given time.

Ekeke

I'd take McKenna. Knows the club and has taken Ipwsich to premier league promotion following up promotion to the championship the season before. He's used to doing a lot with a little now. Another thing is he plays 4-2-3-1 himself so will know the changes needed to get ours to work.

He's obviously a less fancy option but hes also very young and if can get us on the right track he could be manager for a long period.

dinostar77

Will be interesting to see what the club does. If it wants experienced manager, allegri, poch, tuchel are all available. If they want up and coming then they aren't exactly stuck with no candidates.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
It'll be interesting to see if Chelea and United go head to head for the same manager who would win. I think Chelsea has the more interesting squad, but the United project under Ineos seems to be well thought out, progressive and, crucially stable whereas as Chelsea just looks like a shit show behind the scenes. I think United is probably the more attractive prospect for a manager at the moment.

Pochard

Starting to warm to the idea of Poch. He’s now stabilised a shitshow at both Spurs and Chelsea whilst ultimately not being able to take that final step. I feel we need that more than a risk on a potential worldy manager. Let him rebuild us for a couple of seasons, and once we’re stabilised we can be cut throat and move to somebody else if we feel he can’t take us all the way to the top.
People need to understand the position we’re in.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Whilst Poch and Tuchel have their postives, it is still concerning they lost league titles in a one team league.

aeh1991

Wasn't everyone against Poch when we signed Erik? And now suddenly you'd take him? I could understad if he was amazing at Chelsea, where he had a strong squad of young players. But he wouldn't be there where he is without one standout player in Palmer. Imagine we had him and he would have played like that. We would probably have secured a CL place. They were worse than us for the majority of the season and somehow managed to get past us luckily towards the end. I couldn't see any of his Spurs era level managerial qualities.
He brings top club experience but that's all, I have a feeling he would stagnate us. I'd rather take Frank or McKenna to see what they are capable of with a stronger squad.

Dannn411

Here we go again with this caf obsession of trophy winning history. When will you learn that trophy winning history has zero bearing on what the future will look like? We hired two manager with a history littered with trophies and both proved to be disasters. "Trophy winner" Erik Ten Hag has just delivered the worst season in club PL history. Our best manager in the post-Fergie era is the one who had the least track record of winning major trophies and yet all anyone on here cares about is TrOphIES. Wake up and smell the coffee. We are a mediocre mid-table PL team. Worry about putting out a coherent football team first before getting to trophies.

Pochettino is far and away the best manager available with a consistent track record of outperformance with the squads he's been given. He is the only sensible choice.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'd take McKenna. Knows the club and has taken Ipwsich to premier league promotion following up promotion to the championship the season before. He's used to doing a lot with a little now. Another thing is he plays 4-2-3-1 himself so will know the changes needed to get ours to work.

He's obviously a less fancy option but hes also very young and if can get us on the right track he could be manager for a long period.
I like Mckenna butim sure the club will be worried about how he can handle egos. They will need a progressive manager who also has authority.

That being said, they would know plenty about him as an ex coach, so our due diligence will be better informed than say, Chelsea.

DavelinaJolie

Wasn't everyone against Poch when we signed Erik? And now suddenly you'd take him? I could understad if he was amazing at Chelsea, where he had a strong squad of young players. But he wouldn't be there where he is without one standout player in Palmer. Imagine we had him and he would have played like that. We would probably have secured a CL place. They were worse than us for the majority of the season and somehow managed to get past us luckily towards the end. I couldn't see any of his Spurs era level managerial qualities.
He brings top club experience but that's all, I have a feeling he would stagnate us. I'd rather take Frank or McKenna to see what they are capable of with a stronger squad.
Well, I think everyone isnt quite accurate. The Goldbridge brigade certainly didn't want him and a lot of us preferred ETH, but there were plenty of people that wanted Poch.

Me, my preference for ETH has shown I don't know anything really when it comes to these decisions and there's a lot more factors involved than maybe I understand about how a manager takes to the Utd job. It's probably for that reason that whilst I like what Frank has done with Brentford, that I'm probably wrong in thinking he could do a good job at Utd.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Not sure sacked is the right word.
He did take some time to get things better organised at Chelsea which is not a big surprise.
And yes he started to get there in the end.

The job at OT will be significantly more difficult because he would first need to build his team as well as a major clear out.

Because of that I believe we need a coach with some experience and primarily to get a winning mentality into the club.