Who should replace Lingard?

Fosu-Mens

Keeping in mind Ole sees Lingard as a key player due to his running around in the press system, who else could we use instead of Lingard?

-Mata has much better quality on the ball, but doesn’t have the legs or speed for what Ole wants to see.

-Greenwood and Gomes certainly have the speed and seem better players than JLingz, but they are still too young and they need to develop more.

-Would Dalot be a better choice than Lingard? Or do we need someone else?
Play PP as CAM and Martial as a Striker, then let James, Greenwood and Rashford take the wingspots. Lingard can be put pon against weaker teams or when we are playing against teams dominant in possession.

Should also buy a left footed winger.

Kemizee

Do we never learn anything? Jesse Lingard is not Man United quality and will never be. If Ole makes him a crucial player again this season, then I would have no sympathy for him when things turn ugly.

Web of Bissaka

At the moment no one suits the set up better than Lingard, so despite some of the caf thinking he's the worst player ever to wear the shirt, he's rightfully first choice. I'm sure he'll be replaced some time soon and then he'll go on to be a valuable squad player.
Admire your confidence.

I'm very sure I heard this a lot seasons before.. and nope, still the same.

edcunited1878

Lingard has a place in the squad and has been useful for 3 different managers now on the trot. So he's got some quality whether you believe it or not.

But I don't see him getting all the starts, at least I hope he doesn't because United shouldn't have to deploy their newer approach of high pressing and high line for every match.

He's an important cog in the wheel for what is needed...however at the end of the day, United need goals and if Lingard is contributing to it however way, then great. But if not, Greenwood or someone else should take up that forward line position of Lingard.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Jesse Lingard may have been reprimanded by Solskjaer over his lewd Snapchat holiday video but his statistics are understood to be among the most impressive and the manager singled out the effectiveness of his pressing against Inter.
He'll be a regular this season as well.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Working hard is the minimum one can expect from an athlete. If he was a squad player then there wouldn't be as much hatred. I ......
But he IS a squad player. I find it utterly asinine that hate is constantly directed at him. Rather than at the players more talented than him who absolutely refuse to take up the responsibility of claiming a starting place ahead of him. That is how under JM for example Martial was excused for purposely slacking off, when a lingard over took him in the pecking order.

People constantly act like squad players bribe their way to a starting berth or pick themselves.

Smores

I could see Gomes taking his spot quite quickly but really it should be Pogba in that position if we actually bothered to sign a midfielder.

Kostov

We can't have a shit player like Lingard in the starting 11 and expect to have a good season. The best case scenario is Ole giving more chances to Chong and Gomes for that spot, they are better players.

swred

It's always useful to have someone who charges around all over the pitch from 70 minutes onwards, when the CB's are tired.

CM

Where has this idea of him being an ever-present key player come from? Lingard is a valuable player to have around the squad because he's quick, presses well and works hard for the team.

He didn't play every game under Solskjaer last season and that won't change this season either. Mata will get games, Gomes will be given opportunities and we'll probably end up re-jigging the formation too.

Patrick08

Should go to Italy and promote his clothing line in Fashion capital.

Dr. StrangeHate

Memphis is the obvious candidate, a bigger bellend both on and off the field. He has the added advantage of having great taste in clothes and a blossoming rap career.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Is it just fans who wan him out at this stage? Ole seems to want a pressing style of football this season and has praised Lingard as the best presser in the team. Would seem weird for Ole to get rid of his best player for his new system.
But it's like his "movement" - defenders don't follow him as they know he can't pass the ball - same with the pressing - they'll just give him the ball if he presses because they know he'll give it straight back. Pointless player. There are plenty of better players who can do that job.

TheForgottenOne

I'm a bit surprised that we are not linked with James Rodriguez. Proven to be able to score and assist in Liga NOS, Ligue 1, La Liga and the Bundesliga.

Sure, you can put some questionmarks as he is a bit injury prone, but he does provide special skills we lack in the team. Has great vision, a great touch, excellent in set pieces and delivery from crosses and great vision overal.

He is supposedly available for 40 million Euro, which is a bit of a steal for a player with his quality in the current market. I have no objections in posting him behind our stricker as AM. Will be a great playmaker with the speed we will have up front.

Fracture90

From what I've seen in this pre-season, if we gonna play with a #10 I'd really like to see Gomes there.

AUnitedOpinion

I see Lingard getting game time but I think we need to bring in a proper number 10 that is able to find a final pass more often an not and that has a bit more quality than Lingard. Bruno Fernandes being the better option.

Lingard will be used a lot though as Ole has said he wants to have a good pressing game and Lingard helps with his intensity.

I would like to see Gomes getting some game time throughout the season but i feel like he needs some more time to develop.

red4ever 79

Let's be honest. The purpose of a number 10 is to create and score goals. The fact that we rely on Lingz to fill that spot when he does neither of those things is one of the reasons why we scored so few goals last season, and is one of the fundamental areas where we must improve this season. This old pals act Ole has with the players has to stop otherwise he wont last. All this nonsense about Lingz being a hard worker, a tireless worker, good at closing down people. Who gives a s*it. That is the minimum I would expect from any player representing Utd.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I don't want Greenwood to play this system too much this early in his career.

Don't burn him out.

MrKazek

I'm a bit surprised that we are not linked with James Rodriguez. Proven to be able to score and assist in Liga NOS, Ligue 1, La Liga and the Bundesliga.

Sure, you can put some questionmarks as he is a bit injury prone, but he does provide special skills we lack in the team. Has great vision, a great touch, excellent in set pieces and delivery from crosses and great vision overal.

He is supposedly available for 40 million Euro, which is a bit of a steal for a player with his quality in the current market. I have no objections in posting him behind our stricker as AM. Will be a great playmaker with the speed we will have up front.
Another Depay-like transfer it would be. We would have to pay a lot, not only a fee but also contract would be expensive. He wouldn't fit in our team and our new transfer strategy.

Lentwood

I live in Manchester, am able to run and I suppose my movement could easily be labelled as 'good' since I move every day

On that basis I am of equal use to JLingz so get me in

Denis79

Do we never learn anything? Jesse Lingard is not Man United quality and will never be. If Ole makes him a crucial player again this season, then I would have no sympathy for him when things turn ugly.
We have bigger problems in the squad than Lingard. Our midfield is thin, our defence leaking, it won't be Lingard who makes or breaks the season. Hopefully Greenwood gains momentum and makes the RW spot his own but he's still very young.

King Andow

Greenwood out wide and as CAM, Gomes, Bruno Fernandes, coffee guy, Chong out wide, Pereira (not a fan but wouldn't do worse with the minutes), McT and advance Pogba, McT as CAM, Garner and advance Pogba, Mata (at least can score a free-kick here and there), Dalot out wide. All better options than playing the Beans Beans.

Walters_19_MuFc

As a 10, we definately need someone more adventurous.

Lingard is fantastic at pressing, and at his best he will provide important goals and play at a high tempo, but it's few and far between.

Replacements at 10:

Alexis Sanchez - Was good down the middle for Arsenal. No longer got the ability to beat a man, but can spot a pass and is not afraid to try it. He also has the ability to play in a high pressing system.

Juan Mata - Not great at pressing, but will provide creativity and good decison making in the final third - something we sometimes lack.

Angel Gomes - Only young, and not been given a lot of chances as a 10 to showcase his abilities, but in the limited time he's had there during pre season, he's shown that he's good in tight spaces and can spot a pass.

As a right midfielder:

Mason Greenwood - We've already seen how comfortable he is on the wing. Excellent at link play, can beat his opponent and has an eye for goal. Prefer him up top, but cutting onto his left from the right could also be an option for us as we've seen during pre season.

Daniel James - More a player if you're setting up on the counter. Better on the left but keeps the width well and likes to run in behind and stretch play.

Tahith Chong - Again, better on the left, but like James, he's desperate to run in behind. He's also very positive on the ball when at his feet.

Juan Mata - If we're playing with width on the opposite side, then Mata is someone we can use to help us retain possession

fps

Someone who is a top class player should replace Lingard. Goodness me, the state we're in.

TheForgottenOne

Another Depay-like transfer it would be. We would have to pay a lot, not only a fee but also contract would be expensive. He wouldn't fit in our team and our new transfer strategy.
How can you say this would be a Depay-like transfer? James has proven himself in the biggest European competitions and internationally as well. Depay came from the relatively weak Eredivisie, where he did good and had a few decent cameos at the world cup.

The comparison is just strange. Buying someone like Bergwijn would be a Depay-like transfer. That's someone who has not proven anything in a strong league. James clearly has.

reddevil702

Is the plan really to play such a limited player at the 10 spot? Don't mind Lingard as a squad option, but if we're counting on him to be a regular in the first XI then we're in trouble. Dybala or Fernandes would be great options if we're going to reinvest the Lukaku money. Pogba or Greenwood (although haven't seen enough of him to judge his passing ability) would be my choice if we're not buying a number 10.

Kag

Somebody that scores and assists goals?

I don’t mind having Lingard around the squad. He’s a good player. But he isn’t good enough to be starting regularly for a United team that aims to compete for top honours.

redMundo

Dunno, is Mo Farah still doing his running about in circles stuff?

Got his own signature celebration too so we wouldn’t miss out on that joyful front

manunited1919

Let's be honest. The purpose of a number 10 is to create and score goals. The fact that we rely on Lingz to fill that spot when he does neither of those things is one of the reasons why we scored so few goals last season, and is one of the fundamental areas where we must improve this season. This old pals act Ole has with the players has to stop otherwise he wont last. All this nonsense about Lingz being a hard worker, a tireless worker, good at closing down people. Who gives a s*it. That is the minimum I would expect from any player representing Utd.
Agree with everything you say here. I would add that the #10 position is key for our whole offense. Ole seems to like Lingard due to the pressing he does. But a good #10 can’t just be running around with no end product. Ole needs to straighten this out.

AgentP

Bruno would be the ideal replacement. But if we don't sign anyone for that position, then I'd rather have Gomes or even Sanchez playing in that role.

AgentP

Been saying this for months. The role of a no.10 is not to press the opposition. He is the main creative outlet of the team. We are over reliant on Pogba at the moment and need someone else to share the burden with him.

ryansgirl

But he IS a squad player. I find it utterly asinine that hate is constantly directed at him. Rather than at the players more talented than him who absolutely refuse to take up the responsibility of claiming a starting place ahead of him. That is how under JM for example Martial was excused for purposely slacking off, when a lingard over took him in the pecking order.

People constantly act like squad players bribe their way to a starting berth or pick themselves.
Absolutely.

I also love the way the Jesse haters ignore the fact he has been chosen by Sir Alex, LVG, Mourinho and the England manager. Apparently they're all wrong.

TheForgottenOne

Absolutely.

I also love the way the Jesse haters ignore the fact he has been chosen by Sir Alex, LVG, Mourinho and the England manager. Apparently they're all wrong.
Well, you can say that they chose him, but none of them thought he was good enough to play more than 2k minutes in a single PL season. He is 26 and he only played more than 1000 PL minutes in the last 4 seasons, but never more then 1822 minutes.

He made his debut under van Gaal, so Ferguson actually did not choose him.

Lingard is a decent player and his versatility gets him a decent amount of playing time. However, he is not a name that has ever one of the first written on the team sheet by any of the managers. As a squad player, Lingard is a decent player to have on the bench. If he is the starting AM than it would be a disgrace for the clubs ambitions.