Who should the caretaker manager be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infra-red

I'd very much like Ole to be the caretaker. Yes, he doesn't have a great track record, but this season is a write off anyway.

We just need someone positive and a fan favourite taking over could be a great boost.
Yes in fairness this is true. 6th place and not getting embarrassed while getting KO'd from the CL by PSG is realistically the limit of our aspirations at this point. They key is getting the permanent manager/DoF appointments right.

Drawfull

Anybody else think wenger would excel in a 5 month role with no real remit other than delivering nice football and getting our attacking players at their best? Hed have no interest im sure but i think hes a great coach that stayed way too long in a stagnant role.
A lot of people have mentioned Wenger, but pretty sure he did an interview a few weeks ago categorically ruling out ever managing another English club?

reddevil702

Blanc is the choice for me. I feel he would provide the biggest short term impact and give us a chance in the CL.

Ultimate_L

But... we're not rushing. Caretaker until the end of the season while we're searching for a permanent manager (and hopefully make some other changes, such as a director of football).
Agreed, News today has been dribbling out and not all of it useful! We can only hope this is how we go about business.

Chairman Steve

Is the criteria of “external but close connections to the club” an official line from the club?

Wheato

The last brilliant United side was in 2008, when Carlos Queiroz was head coach. I would have him back before OGS as caretaker.

He has spent the last few years making something out of nothing in Iran. Imagine what he could do with our current squad?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
As much as I love Ole, I hope it's not him. He hasn't shown enough as a manager to deserve it that way, and (as much as it makes me feel old) his playing time was too long ago to really excite the players in that sense. Might mean something to the likes of Lingard and Rashford (maybe Pogba) who came through the ranks, but to the majority of the team he'd be just an ex player who hasn't really done anything interesting as a manager. Obviously the fans would love it, but after the constant negativity that the players have had to endure for quite some time I really think it needs to be someone who excites them and inspires instant respect.

Personally I'm hoping for Jardim. Ticks most of the boxes for me.

If it truly is someone with Utd links, Blanc is probably the best shot IMO. Or Queiroz.

Cantonaaa!

Hope they go for Ole. I'd watch games with a long lost enthusiasm again.

It's all been a bit meh with Moyes, LVG and Mourinho. They never struck me as United managers. Admittedly, I had hopes for some trophies with Mou, but it's been a disaster this season at least.

padzilla

Hipster
If it is going to be a former player why Solksjaer, who is under contract to another club, and not Hughes, Bruce, Neville etc?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Carrick and Mckenna too close to present players. Neville has been too outspoken about the board and players to be considered.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
as a manager, yes. he won't accept a caretaker role.
If he already had a job obviously he wouldn't leave it for a caretaker role, but he's currently free.

Taking the role here would be by far the biggest club he's managed at so it looks good on his resume if he does well (even if it's only as a caretaker), plus if he does well enough he'd put himself in a position where he could be in the reckoning for the full time job.

RedDevil@84

I want a proper proven manager even as caretaker, no interest in Ole.
Why would proper proven managers sign up to be caretaker? Unless of course, they are almost retired or someone no longer getting picked for a job.

Dailymail: Ole to takeover till the end of the season

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

20LEGEND

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I hope it's not Ole. I loved him as a player and he has done a phenomenal job in Norway, but his stint in Cardiff was a disaster.

We need someone with experience and quality to steady the ship and head us in the right trajectory. I'm not sure Wenger is a great motivator of teams lacking confidence but otherwise someone like him would be a great choice. He would cheer up Martial and Pogba with the French influence. He would give us a good shout at top 4 and would implement a return to attacking football. We could do worse than him!

Blanc is probably the next best option after him. He is immediately available, has played for United, has won trophies. I'd be tempted to give Blanc the temp to perm option as well. He is a manager that would be in that option zone. Wenger for me would only be a caretaker, unless he won the CL, FA Cup and got top 4 then it would be impossible to not give him a longer chance, as much as I would prefer we avoid that.

That said Wenger may have slipped off radar at Arsenal, but he did well for limited investment. At United he might just find another level.

stepic

If he already had a job obviously he wouldn't leave it for a caretaker role, but he's currently free.

Taking the role here would be by far the biggest club he's managed at so it looks good on his resume if he does well (even if it's only as a caretaker), plus if he does well enough he'd put himself in a position where he could be in the reckoning for the full time job.
i'm sure he already thinks he has done enough in his career to be in the reckoning for the full time job - and, given he's around the 2nd or 3rd fave here, we think so too. his pride won't allow him to be a caretaker - it's the same for all the big prospects. also, the whole point of the caretaker role is to give us sufficient time to choose the next manager. putting in someone who is already a top manager as caretaker doesn't fit that narrative at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.