Who told Rangnick No

DevilRed

With the amount of money we spent in the summer, what sort of board would sancion YET ANOTHER striker signing in January.

Not even psg would do that.

stw2022

Isn’t this the risk of these layers of red tape people want? Director of footballs. People in charge of recruitment…that a manager will identify the need for adding to the team and he’s told “no”?

wolvored

Makes perfect sense to me. Why buy a striker that an interim manager wants when 5 months later the new manager might not like.
You are right. I can see the logic of holding fire so the new manager, (and at that time maybe the club hadnt a clue), would gain all the transfer money, but with the Zakaria for 5 mill he asked for, it was a no brainer for me. If TH didnt want him we would easily have got our money back on him. Now a striker who would have been tens of mill is a different kettle of fish.

Memento28

We still had the FA Cup, top 4 and CL to play for so a club still trying to achieve something this season would've addressed the need after being left threadbare from the Greenwood situation, Cavani being a part time footballer and sending Martial on loan...
What's the point of signing new players every season and just getting top 4 and FA Cup when things don't change? I feel like it's a blessing in disguise that we can't finish in the top 4, the owners wouldn't have changed anything if that had happened. They needed to realize how badly the club is being run and Rangnick failing to get top 4 might have made them finally realize.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I think the board wasn't very honest with RR. I think when they hire him, they told him that it is possible that he could stay on as the manager. As the results came in, they secretly identify the next manager without having a discussion with RR. RR is a old guy, he can find other roles in other clubs hence the gloves are off. Whether he stay on as consultant or not, he doesn't really care. He doesn't have any relationship with ETH and hardly spoken to him. When there is no relationship with the incoming manager, I can imagine it is hard getting along with each other and let alone discuss the direction on the club. RR will probably end the association with this club once the season is over. People running the club are not forthcoming. I hope Glazer run into financial issues and they have to sell the club.

Foxbatt

What some people don't seem to understand is not that we didn't get a player. The issue is that the scouting department told the board no player was available. They didn't even try to discuss it. Just shut it down. To me it shows that they are not putting in an effort. The reason they are no longer at United also show that Arnold and Murtough agree with Ralf.

Abraxas

I think they just bottled it because they knew Ralf was never going to be the man.

However, it does suggest that the recruitment thinking is not as joined up as the restructuring would have us believe. Ultimately, it shouldn't matter that much if there is an interim in place if the club know what they're doing.

The other possibility is they simply didn't want to spend that kind of money in January and thought we'd scrape top four without it.

m1tch

I have some sympathies with RR with regards to Greenwood being unexpectedly removed from the squad after Martial was allowed to go on loan. However, I think there's an element of passing blame with the guy. Granted there's justifiable blame for our current mess in numerous areas of the club, but this latest comment is a bit too far in my opinion and it's more of the same... coming across as super honest but not being honest about how he's let us down more than he was let down in the January window.

The 3 players he mentions struck deals in January but these deals were no doubt months in the making. If we'd have tried to hijack any of these deals we'd have had to pay a hefty premium to do so I'm sure, especially how poor our prospects looked and how the players wouldn't be so keen on joining a club with an interim manager that was underwhelming. I don't blame the board for holding tight for the new manager.

Last edited:

Ralph1386

This, the biggest hole we have in the side, and it worries me that everyone including Ragnick thought that we are good enough in that department.
That is not true. Ragnick recommended Zakaria and Kamara to the board in January.

haru krentz

Managers will never say no to addition of quality players, more players more options in regard of tactic and personel they can use so for the fans blaming managers for so called "neglection of some positions" is just plain ridiculous. Managers always wanting more players, they just expressed it differently some prefer confrontional, some prefer to do it behind the scene.

At least Ragnick has the balls to speak the truth, unlike Ole with his thumbs up and that stupid grin.
Jose said the same thing and he was hounded out by the fans. Managers simply cant win at this club because our fans are so stupid.

Makes perfect sense to me. Why buy a striker that an interim manager wants when 5 months later the new manager might not like.
No it does not. in fact it's against everything we are trying to build right now. Here we have Rangnick with his invaluable input trying to help modernize the club yet the first chance he recommend signings we refused him??

Because we should be planning to have a consistent style of play which requires specific player types so we can plan more than 6 months ahead?

Just a thought...
Agree. we loved talking about how to modernize our club this is how we should be doing, making signings which match to our specific playing style instead of looking for new manager's approval.

AFC NimbleThumb

Irrespective of the next manager the footballing committee should have a list of players in mind for the club that can works in most systems. For all we know attempts were made but didn’t come off, if that isn’t the case though then not buying in January was malpractice. You’ve 2 windows a year & a terrible squad, I maintain doing nothing in January was terrible.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's all a bit revisionist. There was no big clamour on here for a forward in January, even on deadline day after the Greenwood news. The 3 names Ralf mentions there were already gone. Also goes against the idea that he's got his own great scouting network if he had no names to suggest himself.

devips

It's good someone said NO to that worthless manager.

Matriac

Just excuses for himself at this point.

Claiming that all was well before the end of January is looking beyond the fact that we had a string of super easy matches from his hiring till February, and in fact we should have been getting more points from that period.

Yes it was an unexpected loss to suddenly not have Greenwood, and that Cavani has struggled with injuries. But Greenwood happened so late in the window that it would be hard to get anyone signifcant in the door. It would be another Ighalo really as most likely.
Rangnick name-checking Diaz, Vlahovic and Alvarez is easy after the fact when he knows now they've been somewhat successes in their new clubs. Plus him saying that they were still not signed at that point is looking well beyond the fact that they were likely far into the signing/negotiation process with the clubs they ended up at. And it's also very easy to blame the scouting department after those who were in charge have already left the club.

The truth of the matter is that as interim he had the players he had, and he's made a shambles of it. We didn't fall apart in February due to a lack of strikers, we were never any good before then either, just faced weaker teams on average. We've done OK in goals, but we've had a leak in the back.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
If he had asked for a midfielder then maybe the answer would have been yes. Why striker over mid? If true, I have even less confidence in RR.

Red_toad

Apologies if there's already a thread on the subject, but who told Ragnick there wernt any players available in January that could help us?

He listed Vlahovic, Diaz and alvarez as players that could help us yet was told no.

The person who told him no also needs to walk, pure incompetence, would love to hear any insight into this situation
Did you somehow miss all the news about various behind the scenes decision makers being moved on? Has been going on for months! You must live in a poor signal area…
Why would this football forum have an insight to a board meeting?

redshaw

If he had asked for a midfielder then maybe the answer would have been yes. Why striker over mid? If true, I have even less confidence in RR.
A striker would fill the gap of essentially no Rashford, No Greenwood and no Martial. Also wasn't foreseen but also no Cavani (Ralf asked him to stay). We've sorely missed someone helping out with the goals this second half, some very disappointing draws and losses. If I recall that Everton home loss Ronaldo was ill or injured from international duty and Ronnie took a dip in form over the winter, lost his touch and everything but right now is playing excellently all round again.

Rocknrolla69er

The scouts, it's come from the horses mouth.

Rangnick - "l still believe we should have tried in those 48 hours. The board sees it the same way. They agreed. But they also spoke to the scouting department at the same time as me. The answer was no."

"The answer at the time was no, there is no player on the market that can really help us."

No wonder they were given the fecking bullet. The same clowns that felt a £50 million Wan-Bissaka was the very best option out of 804 right backs.
Thank you, amongst the wanky replies, that's the information I was looking for, have a good day

Withnail

Isn’t this the risk of these layers of red tape people want? Director of footballs. People in charge of recruitment…that a manager will identify the need for adding to the team and he’s told “no”?
I don't think so no. This isn't about layers of red tape and I think we should take Rangnick's pronouncements with a pinch of salt. It's completely understandable for the club to not want to spend some of the full-time manager's transfer budget on a player he may not fancy during an interim's tenure. The scouts are also a convenient patsy as two of them have recently left.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Whoever it was is clueless. A central midfielder who's good under pressure - at that point in the season - would've changed things. Look at the difference a fit Matic makes to our general play. Arthur was available for loan and Darder could've been bought for a few bob.

Idxomer

It's all a bit revisionist. There was no big clamour on here for a forward in January, even on deadline day after the Greenwood news. The 3 names Ralf mentions there were already gone. Also goes against the idea that he's got his own great scouting network if he had no names to suggest himself.
I don't know, I definitely felt we needed someone after that news and Martial leaving. I even wondered about the possibility of getting Dembele on loan considering at that point Baraca ddidn't plan on playing him anymore.

Roane

With all due respect do folk read or listen to what was said or is being said?

RR wanted a player, board agreed, scouts said no.

There is no report of a discussion of why buy players if new manager is coming in, no putting the board in the line of fire etc