Who told Rangnick No

Deery

Dreary
I bet you that Darren Fletcher had something to do with it..

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Jose said the same thing and he was hounded out by the fans. Managers simply cant win at this club because our fans are so stupid.
Jose got plenty of players he wanted. Then he wanted to scrap pretty much all of them and get a bunch more. Meanwhile there were more and more signs that he wasn't the one to take us forward, and in hindsight most of the other players he wanted to bring in also probably would have failed as they haven't exactly pulled up trees since then. I wouldn't say it's the same thing.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
If he had asked for a midfielder then maybe the answer would have been yes. Why striker over mid? If true, I have even less confidence in RR.
He recommended a few. His main target was Haidara but he would've cost £30m. He also recommended Zakaria who went to Juve for peanuts (£3.7m). But allegedly our scouts said he wasn't good enough. Which is pure madness considering an one legged Matic improved our team by levels when he played.

Moriarty

Can someone explain to me how transfers are accomplished at United. I was under the (apparently mistaken) impression that the manager identifies the player(s) he wants and the board either sanctions or declines. Here, the scouting department are the ones blocking the transfers. So what is the process we go by, compared to say City or Liverpool?

mu4c_20le

Just excuses for himself at this point.

Claiming that all was well before the end of January is looking beyond the fact that we had a string of super easy matches from his hiring till February, and in fact we should have been getting more points from that period.

Yes it was an unexpected loss to suddenly not have Greenwood, and that Cavani has struggled with injuries. But Greenwood happened so late in the window that it would be hard to get anyone signifcant in the door. It would be another Ighalo really as most likely.
Rangnick name-checking Diaz, Vlahovic and Alvarez is easy after the fact when he knows now they've been somewhat successes in their new clubs. Plus him saying that they were still not signed at that point is looking well beyond the fact that they were likely far into the signing/negotiation process with the clubs they ended up at. And it's also very easy to blame the scouting department after those who were in charge have already left the club.

The truth of the matter is that as interim he had the players he had, and he's made a shambles of it. We didn't fall apart in February due to a lack of strikers, we were never any good before then either, just faced weaker teams on average. We've done OK in goals, but we've had a leak in the back.
Yeah I don't think we needed another 50-60m of reinforcements to beat Watford, Newcastle or Everton. But hey, I'm not the one that influenced the likes of Tuchel, Klopp, etc

Irrational.

The two incompetent morons who have now left. Certainly Diaz has left them with egg on their faces.

“No value” my arse.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Glad we didn’t give him a penny, awful manager. Better to give Ten Hag the money and hope he’s actually tactically competent.

TrustInJanuzaj

Managers will never say no to addition of quality players, more players more options in regard of tactic and personel they can use so for the fans blaming managers for so called "neglection of some positions" is just plain ridiculous. Managers always wanting more players, they just expressed it differently some prefer confrontional, some prefer to do it behind the scene.

Jose said the same thing and he was hounded out by the fans. Managers simply cant win at this club because our fans are so stupid.

No it does not. in fact it's against everything we are trying to build right now. Here we have Rangnick with his invaluable input trying to help modernize the club yet the first chance he recommend signings we refused him??

Agree. we loved talking about how to modernize our club this is how we should be doing, making signings which match to our specific playing style instead of looking for new manager's approval.
The fact you’re defending an over the hill Jose says it all about your footballing knowledge. The man was a dinosaur and a Cnut and we were going nowhere under him.

RORY65

The two incompetent morons who have now left. Certainly Diaz has left them with egg on their faces.

“No value” my arse.
I'm sure it was definitely plausible for United, currently trying to scrape a Europa League spot, to suddenly come in at the last second and pinch Diaz from Liverpool, who are still going for a quadruple, despite them having presumably been working on a deal for quite a while before the signing was completed.

Wing Attack Plan R

Assuming we would have spent North of 60m for one of those forwards, one player isn’t going to secure top4 for us. RR had Ronaldo and Cavani at his disposal and our main issue is midfield. Plus the idea that RR would spend money for his kind of player when he won’t be in charge in the summer seems like something the old, foolish, United board would have done.

L1nk

Just because people keep wanting to shit on the board (which is fine, I get it) the board actually agreed with Rangnick and the Scouts, who have been given the boot now coincidentally, said no there was nobody available.

Wing Attack Plan R

I'm sure it was definitely plausible for United, currently trying to scrape a Europa League spot, to suddenly come in at the last second and pinch Diaz from Liverpool, who are still going for a quadruple, despite them having presumably been working on a deal for quite a while before the signing was completed.
Maybe Diaz was a JLingz fan…?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Just because people keep wanting to shit on the board (which is fine, I get it) the board actually agreed with Rangnick and the Scouts, who have been given the boot now coincidentally, said no there was nobody available.
If you believe the scouts can overrule the board and the manager...

tomaldinho1

Glad we didn’t give him a penny, awful manager. Better to give Ten Hag the money and hope he’s actually tactically competent.
This doesn’t really make sense. Even if, for example, we’d signed Diaz and he was the worst manager ever we’d still have a good player.

L1nk

If you believe the scouts can overrule the board and the manager...
I don't believe they overruled them, it seems to me they obviously leant on the scouting department for any options available that they had scouted that would improve us, and as Rangnick himself has said, they said there was nobody they had scouted that was available that would improve them currently, and now they are gone, you can't think that's coincidence surely?

El Jefe

He recommended a few. His main target was Haidara but he would've cost £30m. He also recommended Zakaria who went to Juve for peanuts (£3.7m). But allegedly our scouts said he wasn't good enough. Which is pure madness considering an one legged Matic improved our team by levels when he played.
Or maybe they aren't actually good enough. You're acting as if Zakaria and Haidara are some needle shifting players. Have you watched both enough to view the decision as pure madness.

The last thing this club needs is adding players for the sake of it. We need to add the right players with the right quality. What happens if we sign those two and ETH doesn't fancy them?

The same people complaining that the club is too shortsighted are the same ones complaining we didn't make desperation January transfers.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Or maybe they aren't actually good enough. You're acting as if Zakaria and Haidara are some needle shifting players. Have you watched both enough to view the decision as pure madness.

The last thing this club needs is adding players for the sake of it. We need to add the right players with the right quality. What happens if we sign those two and ETH doesn't fancy them?

The same people complaining that the club is too shortsighted are the same ones complaining we didn't make desperation January transfers.
We had zero dm options. Matic was on his last legs, and has shown to still be levels above the rest. You're seriously going to argue it was to better to buy no-one, and be left with zero options at all, than spend £4m on an actual fit DM in Zakaria, just because he may not have worked out?

Rangnick actually recommended loads of midfielders; Neves, Kamara, Haidara, Zakaria. All of those were not good enough? More like have you seen the state of our midfield? The majority of the league could walk into our midfield tomorrow.

Last edited:

Yakuza_devils

I don't believe they overruled them, it seems to me they obviously leant on the scouting department for any options available that they had scouted that would improve us, and as Rangnick himself has said, they said there was nobody they had scouted that was available that would improve them currently, and now they are gone, you can't think that's coincidence surely?
But Rangnick named 3 quality available players. What did the board do?

Red-17

I hear what you're saying, but ten Hag will absolutely buy a striker the minute he is in the door because we really don't have the firepower, especially after losing Greenwood. He might not have chosen the player Rangnick wanted, but we need a striker nevertheless.
In which case we end up with a striker who is likely on huge wages and not in the new manager's plans. On top of that we have also taken out a chunk of money from the summer window budget. Of all the things the board did, avoiding making a reactionary signing 2 days before the end of the window is not one of them.

El Jefe

We had zero dm options. Matic was on his last legs, and has shown to still be levels above the rest. You're seriously going to argue it was to better to buy no-one, than spend £4m on an actual fit DM in Zakaria, just because he may not have worked out?
Yes I'm saying there was no point in buying Zakaria if we didn't deem him good enough. I mean wasn't Zakaria on the bench for Switzerland at the Euros and he doesn't start every game for Juve either.

KeanoMagicHat

Our last great signing was in January - Bruno. We have a number of terrible summer signings - Maguire.

Why is there an aversion to buying players in January because there’s ‘no value’ when you get absolutely fleeced in the summer anyway?

Liverpool had a way, way better squad than us and they still bought Diaz. Who could be the difference in winning everything. We had a terrible squad and we sat on nothing when CL football was right there, unforgivable.

flappyjay

Jose said the same thing and he was hounded out by the fans. Managers simply cant win at this club because our fans are so stupid
Jose had power and was signing dross. His alternative for Matic was Dier and he tried to get Willian. His signings from Portugal (Dalot and Lindelof) were blamed on the club when they turned out to be turds. Our managers rank 2nd to our board on how crap they have been.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It seems RR asked the Glazers and scouts to check if we can sign a forward AFTER the Grennwood fiasco as per his quotes.

Now that happened on 30th Jan and Rangnick has named 3 players he wanted to sign.
Diaz - A player who had his medical on 29th Jan with Pool
Vlahovic - a player whose medical was on 28th Jan
Alvarez - A player whose deal was possibly agreed by 25th, and River Plate president mentioned it's a done deal on 30th.

So, I'm not really sure you can blame the scouts for this.

Secondly, when you have no idea about the next manager, and there is a good chance of a major rebuild being required, surely the interim will not be given 60-80m to spend on a marquee signing. It never happens anywhere.

TrustInJanuzaj

This doesn’t really make sense. Even if, for example, we’d signed Diaz and he was the worst manager ever we’d still have a good player.
In hindsight yes but we could have also signed someone awful who didn’t fit the next manager. I’d rather just give the money to our permanent manager.

Aretak

Made sense not to sign players in January under an interim manager
Well that depends. Is the money that the club will lose out on from missing out on the Champions League more or less than would have been spent on reinforcements? Equally, what price do you put on the club being a more desirable destination for players in the summer if it's in that competition?

Loon

:lol:
In which case we end up with a striker who is likely on huge wages and not in the new manager's plans. On top of that we have also taken out a chunk of money from the summer window budget. Of all the things the board did, avoiding making a reactionary signing 2 days before the end of the window is not one of them.
Well, we’ll never know because we might have qualified for the CL and CL money and the striker might well have been quality and part of the manager’s future plans. You can’t speak in absolutes when you’re speculating.

RORY65

Well, we’ll never know because we might have qualified for the CL and CL money and the striker might well have been quality and part of the manager’s future plans. You can’t speak in absolutes when you’re speculating.
We've been absolutely dogshit under Rangnick, we get outplayed most weeks regardless of who we're playing. That wouldn't have changed by panic buying a second rate forward right at the end of the transfer window.

sirAlexsglasses

I like RR’s candidness but it comes across a bit as deflection and throwing granades now at the board. Yes we could have used a striker but my word it was the shoddy defence that killed us more than anything else.
Except that he didnt direct this at the board, he stated they agreed with him and spoke with the board, they said there was no player available that could help us. RR hasn’t deflected anything, he has been candid and his honesty has been welcomed by me for one. And I genuinely believe that ETH and RR have spoken off the record, one of ETH demands what that he has some say in transfers as “he is the one that will be held accountable of things go wrong” very much echoing what RR is saying, he was brought in and given zero tools to accomplish anything. Many players that were running down their contracts and didn’t really care, and an incompetent board that couldn’t manage a piss up in a pub even if they were given the keys and free bar. All the time expected to get something from a team like a patchwork quilt from four different managers, most of whom do not have the quality to represent man United.

Loon

We've been absolutely dogshit under Rangnick, we get outplayed most weeks regardless of who we're playing. That wouldn't have changed by panic buying a second rate forward right at the end of the transfer window.
Why second-rate? Dippers didn’t buy second rate.

Classical Mechanic

Weren't there stories throughout the entire window that we're not signing anyone because they hadn't yet appointed a perm manager and don't want to tie anyone else down until that's done and dusted?

Not like any of those players wouldn't be able to play pretty much anywhere under any manager...but I think United's PR machine nipped this in the bud a long time ago. It's not surprising and seems strange to go into details now. Is that consultancy role being revoked?
He is just getting his excuses in for being shit. He’s been at it for weeks now.

Fluctuation0161

Unless they were bringing in multiple players, which they were never going to do (I doubt we'll see more than 3 this summer so multiple in the middle of the season was never happening), the season was only headed one way because the performances have been mostly really bad and Julian Alvarez or whoever else wasn't saving it.

It would have been short-termist and reactionary to do that when they didn't even know who the next manager was going to be at that stage, why would they buy players for someone who isn't going to be involved in any real way moving forward?
It wouldn't have been shot termism if it was part of a long term plan. Regardless of the manager choice of we have a specific style of play we are going for (high press / gegenpress) then we should stick with it and know that we need a certain type of player. We have gaping holes in the squad.

I wouldn't expect them to buy multiple players in Jan, that wasn't my point, Ralf had asked for 1 attacker, which could've been the difference between top 4 or not. Which then has a knock on effect on the calibre of players we can attract in the Summer window.

Point is, if the club had a long term plan, which it has not had since Fergie left, then they would be able to commit to a single signing in January as part of a wider strategy

Fluctuation0161

Agree. we loved talking about how to modernize our club this is how we should be doing, making signings which match to our specific playing style instead of looking for new manager's approval.
Absolutely, we have been rudderless under the Glazers and especially Woodward. I hope we are starting to see a change in that.

RORY65

Why second-rate? Dippers didn’t buy second rate.
Because they're going for a quadruple while we're a Europa League team and because they had been presumably been targeting Diaz for months, Rangnick's own words even state that this only arose for us in the last couple of days in the window once Greenwood was no longer available.

It wouldn't have been shot termism if it was part of a long term plan. Regardless of the manager choice of we have a specific style of play we are going for (high press / gegenpress) then we should stick with it and know that we need a certain type of player. We have gaping holes in the squad.

I wouldn't expect them to buy multiple players in Jan, that wasn't my point, Ralf had asked for 1 attacker, which could've been the difference between top 4 or not. Which then has a knock on effect on the calibre of players we can attract in the Summer window.

Point is, if the club had a long term plan, which it has not had since Fergie left, then they would be able to commit to a single signing in January as part of a wider strategy
Rangnick himself said that this issue arose once Greenwood was no longer available which happened a couple of days before the end of the window, they weren't getting anyone good plus the performances have been so far off good enough to make the top 4 that 1 panic buy would haven't changed that reality. Also they hadn't decided who the next manager was going to be yet so how could they identify someone who would fit their style as well as Rangnick's, especially at such short notice?

Last edited:

Loon

Because they're going for a quadruple while we're a Europa League team and because they had been presumably been targeting Diaz for months, Rangnick's own words even state that this only arose for us in the last couple of days in the window once Greenwood was no longer available.
Would you say the names Rangnick put forward were second-rate?

Also at that time we were CL football contenders, remember? No disputing it is shite now, btw.