Who told Rangnick No

Rocknrolla69er

Apologies if there's already a thread on the subject, but who told Rangnick there wernt any players available in January that could help us?

He listed Vlahovic, Diaz and alvarez as players that could help us yet was told no.

The person who told him no also needs to walk, pure incompetence, would love to hear any insight into this situation

Last edited:

Tarrou

Did anyone ask if he wanted a midfielder?

and if not, why not!?

dinostar77

Apologies if there's already a thread on the subject, but who told Ragnick there wernt any players available in January that could help us?

He listed Vlahovic, Diaz and alvarez as players that could help us yet was told no.

The person who told him no also needs to walk, pure incompetence, would love to hear any insight into this situation
He wanted a striker in january towards end of window. The board agreed the scouting dept didnt as none of the targets they would recommend were available.

It was on bbc football gossip page today.

Loon

:lol:
Apologies if there's already a thread on the subject, but who told Ragnick there wernt any players available in January that could help us?

There is a thread, but it has been suggested erstwhile United staffers Lawlor and Bout were the ones who vetoed the request.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He failed the captcha test, was marked as a robot so he did not get the funds. We do however need his determinisitc, robotic way of telling it as what it is.

Smores

Ralf tried to sign a player, the board said no no no.

RORY65

Makes perfect sense to me. Why buy a striker that an interim manager wants when 5 months later the new manager might not like.
I think this is correct. If there was a last minute loan that cropped up then maybe that would have helped but you're not getting anyone good at that stage but rather an Ighalo type signing, which I doubt would have massively changed our season. It wouldn't have made sense to buy a player for Rangnick who won't be involved in any significant way moving forward and risk the next manager wanting something different.

Rolaholic

We still had the FA Cup, top 4 and CL to play for so a club still trying to achieve something this season would've addressed the need after being left threadbare from the Greenwood situation, Cavani being a part time footballer and sending Martial on loan...

Esquire

I like RR’s candidness but it comes across a bit as deflection and throwing granades now at the board. Yes we could have used a striker but my word it was the shoddy defence that killed us more than anything else.

Superden

I think this is correct. If there was a last minute loan that cropped up then maybe that would have helped but you're not getting anyone good at that stage but rather an Ighalo type signing, which I doubt would have massively changed our season. It wouldn't have made sense to buy a player for Rangnick who won't be involved in any significant way moving forward and risk the next manager wanting something different.
in the meantime scuppering our chances for this season.

Corridor of Uncertainty

The scouts, it's come from the horses mouth.

Rangnick - "l still believe we should have tried in those 48 hours. The board sees it the same way. They agreed. But they also spoke to the scouting department at the same time as me. The answer was no."

"The answer at the time was no, there is no player on the market that can really help us."

No wonder they were given the fecking bullet. The same clowns that felt a £50 million Wan-Bissaka was the very best option out of 804 right backs.

Last edited:

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Weren't there stories throughout the entire window that we're not signing anyone because they hadn't yet appointed a perm manager and don't want to tie anyone else down until that's done and dusted?

Not like any of those players wouldn't be able to play pretty much anywhere under any manager...but I think United's PR machine nipped this in the bud a long time ago. It's not surprising and seems strange to go into details now. Is that consultancy role being revoked?

Fluctuation0161

Makes perfect sense to me. Why buy a striker that an interim manager wants when 5 months later the new manager might not like.
Because we should be planning to have a consistent style of play which requires specific player types so we can plan more than 6 months ahead?

Just a thought...

Fluctuation0161

I like RR’s candidness but it comes across a bit as deflection and throwing granades now at the board. Yes we could have used a striker but my word it was the shoddy defence that killed us more than anything else.
Ronaldo is 37 and should not be playing 90mins in every game. He did well to get 25 goals, but he did have games where he under performed. Another attacked could've helped that or even covered for Rashford when he was in poor form.

Anyway, I don't see the logic in "we need a defender more than attacker so we shouldn't buy an attacker". We need both!

Loon

Obviously there wasn't a single striker available for loan anywhere...

cnwo

Weren't there stories throughout the entire window that we're not signing anyone because they hadn't yet appointed a perm manager and don't want to tie anyone else down until that's done and dusted?

Not like any of those players wouldn't be able to play pretty much anywhere under any manager...but I think United's PR machine nipped this in the bud a long time ago. It's not surprising and seems strange to go into details now. Is that consultancy role being revoked?
Yes but he’s talking about a specific point at the end of the window after the Greenwood news broke. Both can be true at the same time.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
It’s very obvious there’s a major disconnect between the owners/the board - the financial (stock market loan repayment) and marketing side and the football side. nobody could decide if it was a good idea to give Ralf money until our season was in the toilet and the window was closed. Classic United decision making

fastwalker

This is where reality hits. A man who understands football being second guessed by those who know nothing. How long before they start doing the same things to ETH. Is it that they did not trust his judgement, they did not have the money or that they just did not care?

Dan_F

Yep, and I’m pretty sure half the people moaning about this would also be moaning if we ended up with another player the new manager wouldn’t want. Ralf had the squad to finish in the top four, it’s as simple as that.

We absolutely did not need another striker to beat the likes of Southampton, Villa, Watford and Burnley. It’s actually getting boring hearing the excuses in every press conference.

Loon

This is where reality hits. A man who understands football being second guessed by those who know nothing. How long before they start doing the same things to ETH. Is it that they did not trust his judgement, they did not have the money or that they just did not care?
In this instance, especially Lawlor, you are talking about football men who worked under Ferguson. The board trusted their judgement over the manager, which is where the true worry lies.

RORY65

Yes, that is the point, we need some new players so we can play better but the board rejected it in January.
Unless they were bringing in multiple players, which they were never going to do (I doubt we'll see more than 3 this summer so multiple in the middle of the season was never happening), the season was only headed one way because the performances have been mostly really bad and Julian Alvarez or whoever else wasn't saving it.

It would have been short-termist and reactionary to do that when they didn't even know who the next manager was going to be at that stage, why would they buy players for someone who isn't going to be involved in any real way moving forward?

Loon

Yep, and I’m pretty sure half the people moaning about this would also be moaning if we ended up with another player the new manager wouldn’t want. Ralf had the squad to finish in the top four, it’s as simple as that.

We absolutely did not need another striker to beat the likes of Southampton, Villa, Watford and Burnley. It’s actually getting boring hearing the excuses in every press conference.
I hear what you're saying, but ten Hag will absolutely buy a striker the minute he is in the door because we really don't have the firepower, especially after losing Greenwood. He might not have chosen the player Rangnick wanted, but we need a striker nevertheless.

Loon

Okay, taking two and two and making 75 here, but do we think ten Hag's supposed insistence he has final say over transfers as part of his contract negotiation, might have stemmed from a wee chat with Rangnick over this January episode?

Last edited: