Who, with me, believes we can win the premier league?

leon24

I honestly believe we have an outside chance. Reason being WC is in the middle of the season and players might suffer from fatigue, so this possibly evens out the field more.

MinGin

Add a proper CF and some quality rotating players, then maybe we can,
But not now

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I think us winning the league this season will sit right up there with Leicester's title winning exploits in the 15/16 season, as one of football's most unlikely outcomes.

We have some way to go towards having the right players and system in attack. Our defence has blossomed which is very encouraging but that alone won't be enough.

NZT-One

Might be seen as a pessimistic view but I am a bit worried about getting our hopes up too high. Just looked up the stats on understat, results are pretty good, goals scored, goals conceded, xG, xGA and xPts aren't great. Obviously, it is early days and all those values do not mean the world but we have seen that happening already. Right now we are increasing our control in games. We seem to be pretty efficient when attacking space. That is good and a necessary step but opponents will adjust sooner than later. This is where Ole hit the brick wall. And until today, I haven't seen anything from the team that indicates any changes to the outlook. Casemiro will increase safety against counters. Anthony will add trickery to challenge defensive organisations but there are so many unknowns and it would be a statistical anomaly if all signings will hit the ground running.

pascell

They weren't really odd results in that we were the better team in all three games.

But I get what you're saying, beware of false dawns and all that. We've seen our share of those over the last decade or so.
Sorry I was missing context with my comment, I meant other results along with ours.

Like you say, we've had plenty of false dawns over the years and then dropped off. I'd rather take it one game at a time and see if we gradually improve over the course of the season and hopefully pick up many wins along the way.

mav_9me

If we can call a player without a single game for United yet "a dependable". And I think you're right. My prediction for United's finish is still sixth. However; the weak start that especially Chelsea and Liverpool has had does leave us with more opportunity (to do better than sixth, at least) than I thought we'd have at this point. Maybe in another month all that will have evaporated again, but right now, the stars are aligning to support a tentative basis for mad hope. So let's not get carried away, but at the same time let's enjoy that while it lasts. :D
I didn't know what word to use. I mean a genuine talent, who we can expect to be useful.

Oh I absolutely am enjoying it. I loved the 1-0 against Southampton a lot. So enjoyable to see a hard fought 1-0 where we don't look like conceding every attack.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Miles off being able to mount a title challenge, I think we’ll see a difference in quality and cohesion vs Arsenal today too.

mav_9me

Miles off being able to mount a title challenge, I think we’ll see a difference in quality and cohesion vs Arsenal today too.
Yes agreed. You'll see the difference between a team coached for 3 years vs 3 months.

Siorac

We aren't winning the league any time soon.

We spent over €200m this summer but the squad is still uninspiring and full of holes; we still have McTominay, Elanga, Dalot, or Rashford starting games and our first-choice centre-forward will be Martial.

The huge outlay means we'll probably see very modest spending in the next couple of transfer windows so it's unlikely we can fix the gaping holes in the squad soon enough. By the time we put together a working attack - if it ever happens - we can start looking for replacements for Casemiro and Eriksen.

The only realistic ambition is top 4, for the foreseeable future.

OrcaFat

I know what the reactions to this may be, but I know I can't be the only believer here.

Casemiro yet to come, ETH building something big here, a manager who is not afraid to drop players and be flexible with tactics, City and Pool dropping points.

No one can stop us
I have deliberately not read any of the replies to this so I can have a laugh afterwards and see how out of touch I am.

Win the Prem this year? Not a chance. Top four, yes, I think we should get top 4 and I think we will. Anyone saying 6th or below is being a bit contrary I feel and no manager is going to get that much slack after getting a good window and a full preseason.

2nd or 3rd is do-able I think.

Banana Republic

Whatever the result against Arsenal today, it's still too early to say where Utd will finish this season, with the new players coming in and the necessary changes in play, mentally etc, that ETH will be trying to bring about.
Even if we go on a good run, I don't think we'll have a clear idea on how we are progressing overall, until we reach the WC break.

Also, people are dismissing or writing off Spurs too early.
They're also in a rebuilding process, with new players bedding in.
I think they're nailed on for a top 4 spot.

justsomebloke

We aren't winning the league any time soon.

We spent over €200m this summer but the squad is still uninspiring and full of holes; we still have McTominay, Elanga, Dalot, or Rashford starting games and our first-choice centre-forward will be Martial.

The huge outlay means we'll probably see very modest spending in the next couple of transfer windows so it's unlikely we can fix the gaping holes in the squad soon enough. By the time we put together a working attack - if it ever happens - we can start looking for replacements for Casemiro and Eriksen.

The only realistic ambition is top 4, for the foreseeable future.
That's it. Even though it gets overshadowed by several more pressing and immediate worries (some of whom players like Casemiro and Eriksen helps to address), it's a big issue that we are simply not buying key players in that phase of their careers where they've proven that they are viable top talents, but before they have established themselves so firmly that they cost 50m or more. Liverpool and City are loaded with players like that. Even with the kind of money we have, it's hard to see how we're going to get to the required level of talent with the kind of reliance we have on buying expensive, established top names.

justsomebloke

Whatever the result against Arsenal today, it's still too early to say where Utd will finish this season, with the new players coming in and the necessary changes in play, mentally etc, that ETH will be trying to bring about.
Even if we go on a good run, I don't think we'll have a clear idea on how we are progressing overall, until we reach the WC break.

Also, people are dismissing or writing off Spurs too early.
They're also in a rebuilding process, with new players bedding in.
I think they're nailed on for a top 4 spot.
Agreed on Spurs. They're right where they should be so far.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
If we win today, we will run away with the league. Will win it by over 25 points.

BuzzKillington

Top four will be a success with this squad.
Top 4 is bare minimum with what has been spent on this squad. The only concession I’d give is maybe not this season due to a new manager. But if we added nobody else this squad should be finishing top 4 next season. For what it’s worth I think we will get top 4 this season and comfortably so.

CloneMC16

Zero chance. City will win the league again. ETH is going to need more time to get the squad playing better together. The defence has improved a lot, but our ball retention and attacking passages of play need major work.

We have spent a lot of money this summer, but there are still areas that need investment. Top 4 finish will have always been the target for this season.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
If you would've said top 4 it would at least be worth discussing. We won't get within 15 points of 1st place (City) when it's all said and done.

Siorac

That's it. Even though it gets overshadowed by several more pressing and immediate worries (some of whom players like Casemiro and Eriksen helps to address), it's a big issue that we are simply not buying key players in that phase of their careers where they've proven that they are viable top talents, but before they have established themselves so firmly that they cost 50m or more. Liverpool and City are loaded with players like that. Even with the kind of money we have, it's hard to see how we're going to get to the required level of talent with the kind of reliance we have on buying expensive, established top names.
And when we attempt to get those kinds of players, they rarely work out or reach their full potential. Schneiderlin, Herrera, Shaw, Fred - they were all supposed to be in that category.

JeffFromHK

No chance, City is crushing teams, with or without Halland

Top 4 is a realistic target and it is a bonus if we achieve 2nd or 3rd.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
No chance, City is crushing teams, with or without Halland

Top 4 is a realistic target and it is a bonus if we achieve 2nd or 3rd.
That is simply not true. The only teams they "crushed" are newly promoted Forrest and Bournemouth. They almost lost to Newcastle and were 3-1 down at one point and were 2-0 down to Palace. They also just drew with Villa yesterday.

They are not as unbeatable as previous seasons and if we win today they are only 2 points ahead of a United team in so called turmoil.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I think us winning the league this season will sit right up there with Leicester's title winning exploits in the 15/16 season, as one of football's most unlikely outcomes.

We have some way to go towards having the right players and system in attack. Our defence has blossomed which is very encouraging but that alone won't be enough.
Not a chance. Leicester is unparalleled.

Scottynaldinho

After today, I expect everyone to believe. I just feel like today will be the first big win of the season.

LARulz

Not a chance. Leicester is unparalleled.
Yeah that was a special season. United are still one of the biggest clubs in the world and our spend for most clubs is huge. Our players, on paper, are good too.

Leicester was an absolute one in a generation or two type win

LARulz

I think on paper it's theoretically possible but in practice no chance. We still have some way to go to be a well oil machine

Ultimately it would require other teams around us to feck up a fair bit as well

Lecland07

No. Whilst we have improved, there is a long way to go. I still think Brighton would beat us if we played them today.

Not enough things have changed yet. They would still control the midfield against us. There needs to be a lot more than what we are showing, currently.

The current playstyle will still end in bad periods of results, in my opinion. Southampton were on top for quite a long time, and, in the end, I would say we were slightly lucky to not drop 2 points there.

SungSam7

Nah, not this season and maybe not next either. ETH still needs a few in and a few out before he has the right bunch. Not fully conviced our strikers have enough goals in them and our midfield is still questionable and lacking depth.

I like the positivity but we still have to realistic. Any injury to key players will derail the season and unlike City, we dont have huge depth in any position while they have 2 or 3 players

Banana Republic

Even with Casamiro and the very useful signing of Eriksen, we still need a top midfield player and two forwards/strikers.

Even if he makes a decent contribution this season, an ageing Ronaldo will need replacing; Martial is mentally and physically fragile and Rashford isn't a CF or a natural predator.

Barring a surprise outcome this season, the rebuild was always going to take 2 or 3 years to get us to the point where we'd be in contention for the title, year after year.
Let's hope the ride getting there, is enjoyable to watch.

AlexiV

Supports
FCB
After the shellshock that was Brentford my manic self believes again :devil: