Who would you keep: Rashford or Martial?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Although seemingly less talented, I'd keep Rashford. He loves the club and is a local Manchester player. Even if he's French, I'd still go for Rashford. Howeve it is really a difficult (stupid ? :lol:) question

gajender

The way I see it Martial is perceived solely as a wide forward or the winger by Mourinho.

Where as despite public posturing and regular bigging up of Rashford as potential long term No 9 for United in foreseeable future it's highly unlikely we won't be investing heavily to bring in another first team striker better suited to way Mourinho wants to set up his team.

Which would leave the situation as it stands unchanged Martial and Rashford competing for left side of the attack with Martial clearly with better attributes and higher ceiling potential wise , sentimentality and romanticism aside there are hardly any footballing reasons to keep Rashford over Martial unless they are competing for striker spot even there possibility of Martial being better bet long term is greater.

Virgil

I so hate playing these sorts of games. Given their potential I'd like to retain the pair of them. Both could develop into seriously good players. To me its more an issue as to whether they will continue to be satisfied with current 'bit' parts if their careers do continue to progress as we all hope. Understandably some players get restless if they perceive they are being deprived of game time. On that score I think Martial is more likely to press for a move than Rashford. Consequently I'm taking a unanimous decision as owner of the club (I wish) to insist that both of them stay.:lol:

Reactions: Sultan

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
To answer the thread starters question it has to be Rashford. Mostly due to him being a local lad.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
It's difficult not to see Martial going on to be a quality player for a long time, it's anyones guess over Rashford how his progression will go.
I'd hate to lose either but if we sold Martial I think i'd be devastated more-so.

Munich_1958

There is nothing more rewarding than your own home grown players turning into world class and in turn being very loyal for the club, so its essential Rashford stays at this time because he is the only hope we have at this time of getting that type of player, but things can change for he might not reach them heights!

as for Martial he needs to get his head out of the sand and stop thinking he has made it yet because he hasn't, he is hands down full of world class potential and better prospect than Rashford at this time but his management team and his attitude don't quite kick it for me! hope he picks himself up and dusts himself down and puts in some hard work and become that player!

If I really had to choose now then Rashford

Oneunited26

Would love to keep both and build a fluent front 3 with martial and rashford in with, supported by the likes of pogba. Its a shame if martial leaves, especially if he goes on to become an elite player

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Well in my opinion you'd rather keep Martial, but if his head isn't in the right place then you'd rather keep Rashford.

Rashford ability wise is inferior but he has a good head on his shoulders which might make him the more effective United player in the long run. I think Martial if he moves elsewhere and is played as a number 9, I can see him being very special.

UnclePat

A tough question - and one that a club of Uniteds stature should not be considering.

However, if I really had to choose my gut says keep Rashford. A local lad, has great potential, keeps proving people wrong, and most importantly seems humble and hard-working. Do I think Martial is a top player with world class potential - yes. But unfortunately I have come to doubt his attitude, mental strength, and motivation.

I hope Martial proves me wrong and responds to the challenge set by the boss. A truly world class player needs the mental toughness alongside the natural talent imo. Modern greats like Cristiano and Messi have both had to deal with adversity. Ronaldo at one time was a 'one trick pony' and Messi had many well-documented physical issues during his early career. I'm not saying Martial is at their level, perhaps in the future who knows. But one thing is certain, a world class player would respond to the challenge by working hard, improving, and then showing this consistently on the pitch.

Hopefully keep both - and along with Pogba they go on to dominate things for a long time :)

Reactions: Sultan

Drz

Seems like its bye bye Martial. If he really leaves, I feel Lingard will be next and Rashford will be on his way out in January 2018.

djdhrubs

Doesn't seem like a fun hypothetical question any more does it? Someone appears to be on the way to making up his mind.

Red_Aaron

In the spirit of the thread I'd answer rashford however the real answer is both of course.

They showed last season (along with lingard) that they can play together very well in a front 3

I actually think we should revisit that combination now to try to fix our stuttering attack

MrSingh2002

This thread is evidence that Mourinho can be a knob. He's got fans believing that they can't both play together. His bullshit safety first approach. He wouldn't have played Giggs and Beckham in their primes on opposite wings.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
This thread is evidence that Mourinho can be a knob. He's got fans believing that they can't both play together. His bullshit safety first approach. He wouldn't have played Giggs and Beckham in their primes on opposite wings.
Which is so strange. When he got sacked, he had months to watch us, so didn't he see those two playing together. They were developing a good chemistry as well.

MrSingh2002

Which is so strange. When he got sacked, he had months to watch us, so didn't he see those two playing together. They were developing a good chemistry as well.
If ever there was a game where we couild afford to go 4.4.2 from the start it was against bottom placed Hull last night.

De Gea
Valencia Jones Rojo Blind
Pogba Herrera
Mkhitaryan Martial
Zlatan Rashford
The second half showed we could have done it and blown those feckers away in the first half with Martial involved. You can never have too much pace vs a team set up how Hull were yesterday. Their centre halves would have shat themselves having to deal with our front 4 man for man. Simple tactics, you can't play against a side 3 times in a month with the same old tactics and not expect them to figure you out. This game showed lazy management by Jose where he took it for granted that the returning rested players would be enough to get us the win.

VanGaalEra

If there was a choice of one of them staying here for the rest of their careers, I'd pick Martial. No brainer. Clearly the better and more talented player.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
How would Jose have treated Ronaldo in the early parts of his career? He was also frustrating for a few seasons. As are most young players.

wr8_utd

:'(
Why would anyone pick Rashford over Martial? I'd love for Rashford to make it here but Martial is streets ahead in terms of talent,skill and potential.

Devil may care

I don't think he'd have an issue with those two as both worked like trojan's.

Howzit_Bru

I would also like to see this. Can't believe its never even been tried in a cup game against lower division teams.
Towards the dying embers of LVG's reign he played a front 3 of Martial, Rashford and Lingard and it was pretty good. More movement. Zlatan is an excellent finisher but he is far too static imo. Big reason why we are struggling to break teams down. Not enough movement up top.

lsd

The Oracle
Rashford I think he will be the better player .Martial could go either way in his career I have a feeling of he leaves United his career will go downhill and he will never reach the heights we believed this time last year