Who's attainable if we were to spend big and improve our squad?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We need to go after young players like Ndombele, Aouar, De Jong, Milenkovic, etc. And go after them with real intent. No messing about...

Bwuk

Would give Ajax the £££ it’d take for De Ligt and de Jong.

Dembele if he wants out of Barca.

Toby from Spurs as a leader at the back.

De Gea
Dalot - de Ligt - Alderweireld - Shaw
de Jong
Herrera - Pogba
Dembele - Rashford - Martial​

Fosu-Mens

Even if we spend big next summer, or this winter, we will not make top 4 this season and will most likely not be close to challenge for the title next season either. Better to buy younger/less expensive players, get a DoF with an eye for talent and a manager that is known for good man management/developement of players/helping them improve and then build a team that could challenge in two or three season with a bright future. I do not mean that we should by untested or young players that have less than 10 games for their first team, as there are a number of younger players that have played regularly for enough time to be considered tested. And we should be able to buy a number of relatively talented players without breaking the bank. If they do not perform/improve over a season or two they are still relatively young and we should still be able to get some of the investment back.

As of today, few or none of our players are better than they were 3 years ago. In addition we have a number of players that are underperforming or not good enough on high wages, and with the current expenditure on wages we will need to sell if we are to buy big stars on big contracts. Also the players at the club are used to play defensively, slow football with low pressing. A new manager would need more than a pre-season to change the way the players are used to play, both mentally and physically.

JoaquinJoaquin

Would give Ajax the £££ it’d take for De Ligt and de Jong.

Dembele if he wants out of Barca.

Toby from Spurs as a leader at the back.

De Gea
Dalot - de Ligt - Alderweireld - Shaw
de Jong
Herrera - Pogba
Dembele - Rashford - Martial​
De Ligt has been heavily linked with Real Madrid and judging by how much they need a rebuild like us, I think he will end up going there.

I honestly would be happy with us re-signing Zaha for the RW.

Sea-Cow

De Ligt has been heavily linked with Real Madrid and judging by how much they need a rebuild like us, I think he will end up going there.

I honestly would be happy with us re-signing Zaha for the RW.
I would be ok (not exactly thrilled) with re-signing Zaha to play up front, or as a support striker / #10.

But I don't see him wanting to do the tracking-back required in a right-winger. Right now he is in a free role to do what he wants, and it would be a stretch to bring in him and task him with helping out his full-back defensively, and sprinting back to track the run of the opposition left-back.

RooneyLegend

Ndombele is where it's at. He's basically a young Dembele, exactly what we need in midfield.

CA1

No decent, proven player would want to come and play for this United team at the moment, it doesn't matter who the manager is. Some of the names on here are crazy.

We'll have to go for a few young punts and trust some of the younger lads in the academy who are doing well at the moment.

I hope to God we don't just go for European journeymen like Woodward has a fancy for.

People like David Brooks, Maddisson off the top of my head in our league. I don't watch much European football these days but surely there will be some young players knocking about not that I trust our scouts to find them or Woodward to buy them. Woodward will end up on a goose chase for players using our name with no intention to come.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
No decent, proven player would want to come and play for this United team at the moment, it doesn't matter who the manager is. Some of the names on here are crazy.

We'll have to go for a few young punts and trust some of the younger lads in the academy who are doing well at the moment.

I hope to God we don't just go for European journeymen like Woodward has a fancy for.

People like David Brooks, Maddisson off the top of my head in our league. I don't watch much European football these days but surely there will be some young players knocking about not that I trust our scouts to find them or Woodward to buy them. Woodward will end up on a goose chase for players using our name with no intention to come.
As long as we have Mourinho in charge we'll see players like Jorginho and De Jong go elsewhere due to our style of play.

CA1

As long as we have Mourinho in charge we'll see players like Jorginho and De Jong go elsewhere due to our style of play.
They won't be coming to us anyway regardless who our manager is.

Players now are very well informed and even if they're not, their agent will let them know of their next move.

Everyone in football knows of Woodward's incompetence and won't see a positive future under the current owners in terms of building a team.

We're like an upper Newcastle. Players would rather join Bournemouth, Brighton etc than Newcastle. Crowds and history mean nothing.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Players now are very well informed and even if they're not, their agent will let them know of their next move.

Everyone in football knows of Woodward's incompetence and won't see a positive future under the current owners in terms of building a team.

We're like an upper Newcastle. Players would rather join Bournemouth, Brighton etc than Newcastle. Crowds and history mean nothing.
Of course players will come, money talks and we're Manchester United.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Pochettino might be available for the right price. Would be an awesome addition to our squad.
Levy would sell his Grandma if the price was right.
Pochetino is custom made for United and would have the club solidly in the top four in no time.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Quality players agreed to join City managed by Mark Hughes. Money talks and united have a lot.

lawliet354

I'm 99% sure that you are either Castles or Mourinho himself

Most players won't even care who our CEO is, but they care about the manager. And our manager right now is someone who will continue to play defensive, negative, out-of-date football, someone who's ready to throw them under the bus when thing's going south and don't think that's something that a player would like

Fosu-Mens

Most players won't even care who our CEO is, but they care about the manager. And our manager right now is someone who will continue to play defensive, negative, out-of-date football, someone who's ready to throw them under the bus when thing's going south and don't think that's something that a player would like
Players and potential new managers seeking glory(big trophies rather than money) will look at more than the manager. They will also look at the clubs reputation(Are they professional in their conduct? Do players seem to become better at the club? Is the clubs goal to win trophies or is it to earn £££ for the owners?) Is the club well organized or a sh*t show? Will the player be able to win trophies and improve in this club? And many more aspects.

Players going for the pay will see our club as an attractiv employer.

Lets take Jaden Sancho as an example: Assume that he wants back to PL in the summer. He got offers from MUFC, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. The terms are the same and we assume he is not a fan of either of the club. What makes you think that he would go to us over the other clubs?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Players and potential new managers seeking glory(big trophies rather than money) will look at more than the manager. They will also look at the clubs reputation(Are they professional in their conduct? Do players seem to become better at the club? Is the clubs goal to win trophies or is it to earn £££ for the owners?) Is the club well organized or a sh*t show? Will the player be able to win trophies and improve in this club? And many more aspects.

Players going for the pay will see our club as an attractiv employer.

Lets take Jaden Sancho as an example: Assume that he wants back to PL in the summer. He got offers from MUFC, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. The terms are the same and we assume he is not a fan of either of the club. What makes you think that he would go to us over the other clubs?
Players will always want to come to Manchester Utd because the allure of our history doesn't disappear overnight like some fans want to pretend. If Sancho (for example) really believed in his talent, then he may look at Utd the current slumbering giant and think 'I can make a real career changing impact there'. Imagine being the catalyst for reviving the worlds largest club, thats the stuff of legend and would create a legacy that is impossible to achieve at those other clubs. I am not doubting that not all players will fancy that challenge, and that to revive Utd will take more than a singular player but at the end of the day the club is still colossal. We do however, need to remove the manager before we do anything because that is having a lasting impact on our brand.

Trizy

Can't see Barcelona selling Dembele, he's just too good.

I'd try sign De Jong, Toby, Sancho in the summer. With a future look at De Ligt, Neves and a proper striker.

Fosu-Mens

Players will always want to come to Manchester Utd because the allure of our history doesn't disappear overnight like some fans want to pretend. If Sancho (for example) really believed in his talent, then he may look at Utd the current slumbering giant and think 'I can make a real career changing impact there'. Imagine being the catalyst for reviving the worlds largest club, thats the stuff of legend and would create a legacy that is impossible to achieve at those other clubs. I am not doubting that not all players will fancy that challenge, and that to revive Utd will take more than a singular player but at the end of the day the club is still colossal. We do however, need to remove the manager before we do anything because that is having a lasting impact on our brand.
No chance younger players are coming here under the current management, thats for sure. But if we look beyond the current management, our club is in mess. Winning trophies or playing attractive football is not the main goal of the club, and most players would see this. We have 3 concecutive managerial failures. We have a bunch of overpaid players, a bunch of players that can barely string together a pass. Only thing we can afford is history and a nice wage.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I'd go for

DC: Toby - At 25m he's quite a catch. I'd say get him or Andersen from Sampdoria + Tuanzebe out from loan and we can get rid of Rojo and Jones
DR: Milenkovic- A tall defender whose perfectly comfortable as RB and as CB. His positioning needs work but he'll be perfect to cover up the RB flank.
DL: Tierney - He's a combative and quite athletic LB who'll provide us with quality/competition for Shaw.

DM: Tousart- a young DM who'll inject much needed energy to our CM.

RW: Suso - a top quality winger whose full of energy, vision and creativity. He's got a minimum fee clause set at 35m

STK: Piatek- a goal machine.

Team

GK: DDG, Romero, Henderson

RB: Milenkovic, Dalot, TFM
LB: Tierney, Shaw
CB: Smalling, Toby/Andersen, Bailly, Lindelof, Tuanzebe

DM: Tousart, Matic
B2B: Herrera, Fred
AMC: Pogba, Periera

LW: Martial, Rashford, Sanchez
RW: Suso, Lingard

STK: Piatek, Lukaku.

The rest can be sold really.

Fosu-Mens

DC: Toby - At 25m he's quite a catch. I'd say get him or Andersen from Sampdoria + Tuanzebe out from loan and we can get rid of Rojo and Jones
DL: Tierney - He's a combative and quite athletic LB who'll provide us with quality/competition for Shaw.
RW: Suso - a top quality winger whose full of energy, vision and creativity. He's got a minimum fee clause set at 35m
Did not know Suso had a clause that low. Mata, only with some pace and physicality.
Toby for £25m in the summer is not bad either.
Tierney would be an improvement compared to Shaw, and if he wants to leave in the summer we must sign him.
Not sold on Piatek, and fear he could be given a pricetag at the same level Torino had on Belotti.

But fear that these players are not "galactico" enough for Woodward.

devilish

Did not know Suso had a clause that low. Mata, only with some pace and physicality.
Toby for £25m in the summer is not bad either.
Tierney would be an improvement compared to Shaw, and if he wants to leave in the summer we must sign him.
Not sold on Piatek, and fear he could be given a pricetag at the same level Torino had on Belotti.

But fear that these players are not "galactico" enough for Woodward.
Genoa aren't aiming for a big fee for piatek though + belotti has been unlucky with injuries. We can't expect a 90m striker to act as cover + lukaku is here to stay

Fosu-Mens

Genoa aren't aiming for a big fee for piatek though + belotti has been unlucky with injuries. We can't expect a 90m striker to act as cover + lukaku is here to stay
Piatek can finish and position himself, somewhat similar to Thomas Muller if i evaluate him correctly. As i want a "can do it all" striker he is not the one for me.
Lukaku can leave for all i care. Would rather have Rashford and Martial up front. Even Sanchez would be preferable to him, and that saying something.

devilish

Piatek can finish and position himself, somewhat similar to Thomas Muller if i evaluate him correctly. As i want a "can do it all" striker he is not the one for me.
Lukaku can leave for all i care. Would rather have Rashford and Martial up front. Even Sanchez would be preferable to him, and that saying something.
We won't be able to get rid of matic, sanchez or lukaku.

poleglass red

Can we give Real Jose and some cash and take one of the players in a one of a kind exchange...lol

devilish

Most likely not, unless we pay a large part of their wages. So they will be here for some time still. Just like Wayne Rooney and the contract he was given under Moyes.
That's why we can't ignore those players. Now sanchez and matic are shot, the only way for them is down. However we can try and get the best from lukaku. Suso can help and piatek can be a good cover/competitor/potential first teamer

Josep Dowling

Of course players will come, money talks and we're Manchester United.
So why are all the top youngsters linked with all the big clubs except us? We have gone lower than City in many young player's eyes.

Josep Dowling

To make our first 11 any good we need:

CB
RB
RW
ST - who can interchange with wingers, not some big lump target man with no first touch.

Who we go after I don't know but RW I would certainly go for Sancho. But the club are so rubbish at targeting the right players I don't trust them to get it right. Mourinho has publicly said before he's not after anymore wingers when clearly RW is our biggest weakness going forward. He will probably sign 3 CBs that he doesn't use.

Canagel

Already we've got proof . As much as posters like @CA1 would like to ignore it

sunama

Baghdad Bob
28 years is still fairly young for a defender. He should be good for 4 years.
True, but for £100M, I don't think it's worth it.
Even if we get 3 years at the very top, £100M + wages is too much to pay, when Toby A is available for a much less (albeit, at an older age).

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I don’t know and neither do our scouts, who let’s be honest should have been sacked a long time ago.
Our players. Coaches. Head coach. Scouts. CEO (or whatever Woodward calls himself these days).
They are all under performing and it's very frustrating.

AlexUTD

I'd go for

DR: Milenkovic- A tall defender whose perfectly comfortable as RB and as CB. His positioning needs work but he'll be perfect to cover up the RB flank.

DM: Tousart- a young DM who'll inject much needed energy to our CM.

STK: Piatek- a goal machine.

Team

GK: DDG, Romero, Henderson

RB: Milenkovic, Dalot, TFM
LB: Tierney, Shaw
CB: Smalling, Toby/Andersen, Bailly, Lindelof, Tuanzebe

DM: Tousart, Matic
B2B: Herrera, Fred
AMC: Pogba, Periera

LW: Martial, Rashford, Sanchez
RW: Suso, Lingard

STK: Piatek, Lukaku.

The rest can be sold really.

Good post.

I agree on most except i would sell Lukaku and use Martial and Sanchez as strikers instead.

If United were to drastically change their current set-up and move towards solely bringing in and through youth would United fans accept the likely possibility of missing out on top 4 places for a couple (or longer) seasons ?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So why are all the top youngsters linked with all the big clubs except us? We have gone lower than City in many young player's eyes.
All the top youngsters? We're linked with Ndombele and Milenkovic who are both fantastic young players.