Who's attainable if we were to spend big and improve our squad?

RedDevilRoshi

£35m for Jadon Sancho
£30m for Sessegnon
£30m Koulibaly
£25 for a good right back.
£30m for a good Matic replacement.

It's a stretch but 150m in one summer should be doable.
No chance at all we will sign Sancho, Sessegnon & Koulibaly for those figures that you’ve given.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
A dominant club in a weak league is hardly "top level". And the fact has he's been thriving at Spurs after PSG shows that some clubs and managers don't fit well with some players, whilst others do … it has little to do with him not cutting it.

Other clubs had the same opportunity to do a deal with PSG for Moura - it wasn't some special arrangement open only to Spurs. But United, for example, chose instead to pay more - plus incredibly huge wages - for a much older player from Arsenal.

But if you don't like the Moura example, then let's try Juan Foyth, signed for 13m euros and looking destined to become a mainstay CB with us within the next couple of years. Again, United (or other clubs) could have tried for him, but instead United went for Bailly for triple that amount a year earlier.

The point is that even in this inflated market not every good player or good prospect has to cost "X amount" as a minimum in order to be actually good enough: too many fans are sucked into the football-by-numbers game.
Are you really being daft enough to suggest that all clubs pay the same money for the same players?

Moura would have cost us a £5-10m premium.

Bailly would have cost you less than we paid for him.

That’s a ridiculously simple principle that you must know to be true.

devil in me

I'd love us to go all out for Sancho, make a statement like we did with Rooney all those years ago. Would be a great signing on many levels. Long term, Englands most exciting younsgter, and in a postition we are desperate for. Is he attainable? Probably over the next couple of years i would've thought. One problem would be the massive competition for his signature and we probably aren't the number 1 destination these days like we were when we got Rooney.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'd love us to go all out for Sancho, make a statement like we did with Rooney all those years ago. Would be a great signing on many levels. Long term, Englands most exciting younsgter, and in a postition we are desperate for. Is he attainable? Probably over the next couple of years i would've thought. One problem would be the massive competition for his signature and we probably aren't the number 1 destination these days like we were when we got Rooney.
I dreamt that Liverpool sold Salah and bought Sancho and he was even better

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
If we are looking for a centre back that is able to pass it out from the back, we could do a lot worse than Maguire

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
@GlastonSpur

I have it on good authority that Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Bayern Munich, Dortmund, Juventus, Inter Milan, AC Milan, Roma, Lazio, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Valencia, Sevilla, Fenerbahce, Porto, Jiangsu Sainty and Fulham all put in offers between 20-25m for Lucas Moura, because they knew that PSG would take a deflated price because of the position they put themselves in with regards FFP.

Spurs were the only mugs who offered to pay more than PSG told dozens of other clubs they'd sell him for.
Even IF your "good authority" is correct - a very big IF - it means that the many other clubs who wanted him didn't get him, whilst Spurs did.

Moura is a good player who has impressed for Spurs. I'd say the £25.6m we paid has proved to be very good value. If that's Spurs being "mugs", then words lose their meaning.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
What a pile of crap. ManUtd signed old players along with many young players. You make the same rubbish point every time even when it's been proven wrong. Nothing surprise there.

Fact that you are parading average player who contributed feck all shows how weak your points are. Players who contributed much more are called flops by ManUtd fans and yeah expectations from players and standards are different, which is again proven by you naming Lucas as crown jewel and ManUts fans considering Sanchez and Mkhitaryan as flops.

Btw you are diverting funds to stadium and other facilities as you are way behind ManUtd. We have already done what your are doing in 90s. I don't know why you are celebrating something that too comparing to ManUtd when we are way ahead of the pack and did it in 90s.

Yes there are no cheese rooms but stadium capacity, Match day income, commercial revenue shows how far ahead we are. So yeah we don't have to divert funds to stadium, we need to spend to improve squad.
Yes, you've signed some young players, but hardly any have made the grade, and you've signed a lot of old players too. Both things stand in contrast to Spurs, so no this point has not been proved to be "rubbish".

I haven't paraded Moura as the "crown jewel" at Spurs - we have several more important players - but simply as an example of a good player signed for a reasonable fee, in contrast to the £50m+ I'm constantly told on here is now needed to get such players.

You claim Moura is "average" - clearly you haven't seen him play much for Spurs this season - he's been impressive and has contributed a lot.

As for the stadium, you built new one in the 90s? Wiki says it was built in 1909 and since then you've expanded and modified it several times - not quite the same thing as building as new one. But then I haven't suggested that you build a new one.

In any case, I cited our new stadium simply as an illustration of the fact that we have (the new stadium being part of) a long-term strategy … again in contrast to United, where the attempted "quick fix" approach continues to predominate.

I don't know why you continue to deny the absence of a long-term strategy at United - it's as plain as the nose on your face to most folk.

Deleted member 101472

Laugh if you wish, but I reckon that in 2 years from now Bailly is either gone or just a squad player, whilst Foyth becomes one of Spurs' starting first XI CBs.
Think you’re overrating him a bit here. Defenders can’t afford to make as many mistakes a game as he does

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Are you really being daft enough to suggest that all clubs pay the same money for the same players?

Moura would have cost us a £5-10m premium.

Bailly would have cost you less than we paid for him.

That’s a ridiculously simple principle that you must know to be true.
If what you say about Moura and Bailly is true then it serves to show the incompetence of your transfer negotiators. A wealthy person does not normally expect to pay more for the exact same thing that someone less wealthy would.

But if that same wealthy person makes a point of telling everyone how much money they have to spend - and if at the same time the seller knows how desperate they are for an attempted "quick fix" - then it's no surprise if they are taken to the cleaners.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yes, you've signed some young players, but hardly any have made the grade, and you've signed a lot of old players too. Both things stand in contrast to Spurs, so no this point has not been proved to be "rubbish".

I haven't paraded Moura as the "crown jewel" at Spurs - we have several more important players - but simply as an example of a good player signed for a reasonable fee, in contrast to the £50m+ I'm constantly told on here is now needed to get such players.

You claim Moura is "average" - clearly you haven't seen him play much for Spurs this season - he's been impressive and has contributed a lot.

As for the stadium, you built new one in the 90s? Wiki says it was built in 1909 and since then you've expanded and modified it several times - not quite the same thing as building as new one. But then I haven't suggested that you build a new one.

In any case, I cited our new stadium simply as an illustration of the fact that we have (the new stadium being part of) a long-term strategy … again in contrast to United, where the attempted "quick fix" approach continues to predominate.

I don't know why you continue to deny the absence of a long-term strategy at United - it's as plain as the nose on your face to most folk.
We have signed Schweinsteiger, Zlatan, Matic, Sanchez when they were old, not too many compared to Spurs when they signed Llorente, Sissoko, Fazio, Soldado. So yeah you are talking nonsense as usual.

Spurs have signed many players who were 25 or older when they signed. If ManUtd are looking for quick fix then Spurs aren't doing any better too.
]
Since 2013,
Paulinho, Soldado, Capoue, Vorm*, Fazio, Trippier, Toby, Wanyama, Sissoko, Aurier, Lucas, Llorente

Fellaini, Mata, Herrera, Di Maria, Darmian, Bastian, Schneiderlin, Romero*, Zlatan, Mkhi, Matic, Sanchez, Fred.

So yeah almost same number of players.

Shaw, Martial, Lindelof, Pogba, Lukaku, De Gea all were signed when they were 18-24 and they all are first choice players for ManUtd. Even players like Smalling, Valencia were signed when they were young enough and played for years. Rashford is also one more player.

Re stadium, ManUtd expanded the capacity in late 90s and are ahead of the chasing pack. Spurs investing now doesn't mean rest don't have long term strategy. Still after so many years, ManUtd have the highest capacity stadium which itself shows we are ahead and from years back.

You keep banging the "Quick fix" drum when we have signed young players and will continue to do so. Spurs have signed so many 25 year old players but somehow it's long term thinking. Spurs signed fecking Sissoko when he was 27 for 30 million pounds and somehow you made it sound like Levy is a genius because he made a deal to pay in installments. Somehow it's all long term planning but Manutd signing 1 or 2 28/29 year old players means it's looking for quick fix.

roonster09

Scout
Laugh if you wish, but I reckon that in 2 years from now Bailly is either gone or just a squad player, whilst Foyth becomes one of Spurs' starting first XI CBs.
Yeah I will keep laughing. Considering you big up every tom dick and harry from Spurs team, I won't bother much about how they do in 2 years.

One more player who has played feck all for Spurs except against league 1 or 2 teams (and some shit team in CL) and in PL he has as many penalties conceded as his starts, I will just hold on the horse before parading him as one more crown jewel from Spurs.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
We have signed Schweinsteiger, Zlatan, Matic, Sanchez when they were old, not too many compared to Spurs when they signed Llorente, Sissoko, Fazio, Soldado. So yeah you are talking nonsense as usual.

Spurs have signed many players who were 25 or older when they signed. If ManUtd are looking for quick fix then Spurs aren't doing any better too.
]
Since 2013,
Paulinho, Soldado, Capoue, Vorm*, Fazio, Trippier, Toby, Wanyama, Sissoko, Aurier, Lucas, Llorente

Fellaini, Mata, Herrera, Di Maria, Darmian, Bastian, Schneiderlin, Romero*, Zlatan, Mkhi, Matic, Sanchez, Fred.

So yeah almost same number of players.

Shaw, Martial, Lindelof, Pogba, Lukaku, De Gea all were signed when they were 18-24 and they all are first choice players for ManUtd. Even players like Smalling, Valencia were signed when they were young enough and played for years. Rashford is also one more player.

Re stadium, ManUtd expanded the capacity in late 90s and are ahead of the chasing pack. Spurs investing now doesn't mean rest don't have long term strategy. Still after so many years, ManUtd have the highest capacity stadium which itself shows we are ahead and from years back.

You keep banging the "Quick fix" drum when we have signed young players and will continue to do so. Spurs have signed so many 25 year old players but somehow it's long term thinking. Spurs signed fecking Sissoko when he was 27 for 30 million pounds and somehow you made it sound like Levy is a genius because he made a deal to pay in installments. Somehow it's all long term planning but Manutd signing 1 or 2 28/29 year old players means it's looking for quick fix.
Obviously I'm not talking about players who are aged 25 - 27 when signed, because such players still have years ahead of them at that point, so your dragging them into the mix proves nothing.

Instead I'm referring to the likes of Zlatan, Schweiny, Matic, Sanchez and Falcao ... rather more than just "1 or 2"

roonster09

Scout
Obviously I'm not talking about players who are aged 25 - 27 when signed, because such players still have years ahead of them at that point, so your dragging them into the mix proves nothing.

Instead I'm referring to the likes of Zlatan, Schweiny, Matic, Sanchez and Falcao ... rather more than just "1 or 2"
What percentage of our signing are old players? That's a spread from last 5 years and one of them was a loan signing, one of them was a free transfer and other was a player exchange. In that time frame you have signed Soldado, Sissoko, Llorente.

So 27 year old Sissoko have many years ahead of them but 28 year old Falcao and 29 year old Matic are quick fixes.

You paid nearly 30 million for 28 year old Soldado in 2013 and 30 million for 27 year old Sissoko in 2016, this was before the transfer market was fecked and then 12 million for 32 year old Llorente and you somehow think we have to follow Spurs model.

So yeah, your point still doesn't make any sense.

cheeky_backheel

So you are assuming that a spurs starting CB will always be better than a united sub - lol

In case you didnt get the memo, Bailly is better than Sanchez

Sir Scott McToMinay

That’s a possibility, however in 2 years Spurs will still win nothing.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Attainable Defenders:
  1. Rugani - wants more playing time
  2. Christensen - wants more playing time
  3. Manolas - £32m release clause
  4. Milenkovic - Fiorentina have 2 CBs ahead of this guy / pushed to RB
  5. Hernandez - Atleti have 3 CBs ahead of him / pushed to LB
  6. Skriniar - if he doesn't sign a new contract by the summer a big bid + Darmian should do it
  7. Maguire - will need a world record bid
  8. Andersen - just renewed but u know Sampdoria will sell
  9. Alderweireld - if spurs trigger 1 year option £25m clause kicks in
  10. Benatia - not getting enough playing time
Who's the best option(s) among these guys?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
If what you say about Moura and Bailly is true then it serves to show the incompetence of your transfer negotiators. A wealthy person does not normally expect to pay more for the exact same thing that someone less wealthy would.

But if that same wealthy person makes a point of telling everyone how much money they have to spend - and if at the same time the seller knows how desperate they are for an attempted "quick fix" - then it's no surprise if they are taken to the cleaners.
Yet again you show a bewildering lack of understanding of economics.

The point of a wealthy person not expecting to pay more for something than a less wealthy person = firm footing.

Turn that on it’s head though.

Any person selling something to a wealthy person knows that they can expect to charge more than if they were selling to a poor person.

It’s basic supply, demand combined with leverage.

You’re using thought problems and applying them to the real world.

L1nk

Christian Pulisic
Ruben Neves
Nikola Milenkovic
Milan Skriniar
Alessio Romagnoli
Adrien Rabiot
Frenkie De Jong
Matthijs De Ligt
Kalidou Koulibaly
Kai Havertz

Mixture of some players for now and players for future, however, any of them attainable under our current regime, playing football the way we do? Debatable.

ROFLUTION

Attainable Defenders:
  6. Skriniar - if he doesn't sign a new contract by the summer a big bid + Darmian should do it
Definitely Alderweireld for me. I Think experience is what we need. Not sold on Christensen neither. Some of the others are a bit inexperienced too, which is not a good level when we need to stop the leak and Also convince De Gea to stay. We should think short term as a good defender also will allow us to play more attacking minded.

Asger

Would love to see some 10 player like Eriksen or Sigurdsson instead of the average we have. Both would be perfect with two fast wingers.

Scholsey2004

Would love to see some 10 player like Eriksen or Sigurdsson instead of the average we have. Both would be perfect with two fast wingers.
What's the point? We've signed some technically excellent players like pogba, Sanchez, mkhitaryan in recent years and the manager can't stand the sight of them, or anyone it seems.

el3mel

They all were before they came here. A pretty common theme I'd say.
Sanchez was mediocre in Arsenal first half of season before joining and Mikhi is still pretty shite for Arsenal. Both teams aren't that happy with the swap deal that happened.

Pogba is doing pretty well for us so far.

el3mel

We're going to sign 2-3 players at best next season. Probably CB, winger and a replacement for Pogba if he decides to leave. People shouldn't get their hope up anymore.

cheeky_backheel

They all were before they came here. A pretty common theme I'd say.
Pogba and Mikhi came from lesser leagues, while in his 3.5 seasons with Arsenal, Sanchez scord 20+ PL goals only once (in fact that is the only time in his career). Add age and is decline is not surprising.

Scholsey2004

Pogba and Mikhi came from lesser leagues, while in his 3.5 seasons with Arsenal, Sanchez scord 20+ PL goals only once (in fact that is the only time in his career). Add age and is decline is not surprising.
No, sorry, I don't agree with any of that.

roonster09

Scout
Sorry I dont discuss alternative facts
:lol:

Jose - "Sorry I never blame players"

Pep - "Sorry I never played possession football"

Conte - "Sorry I never moaned about transfers"

Pogba - "sorry I never opened Instagram account"

Riaola - "Sorry I was never interested in money"

Klopp - "Sorry, I was never a weirdo"

Cheeky_backheel - "Sorry I don't discuss alternative facts"

Gordon S

Attainable Defenders:
Would like to add

Mario Hermoso, 23. Espanyol player with 2 year left of his contract.
Dan-Axel Zagadou, 19. Really exciting French cb prospect, currently doing really well for a strong Borussia Dortmund side.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Would like to add

Mario Hermoso, 23. Espanyol player with 2 year left of his contract.

Dan-Axel Zagadou, 19. Really exciting French cb prospect, currently doing really well for a strong Borussia Dortmund side.
Yes great additions to the list!

Both Zagadou & Upamecano look very promising & could become mainstays for France in the near future.

Hermoso looks very solid indeed. But is he attainable you think? Read somewhere that Real have first option on him or something like that. If he's worthy of United then surely Real would bring him back as Ramos isn't getting any younger...

Gordon S

Yes great additions to the list!

Both Zagadou & Upamecano look very promising & could become mainstays for France in the near future.

Hermoso looks very solid indeed. But is he attainable you think? Read somewhere that Real have first option on him or something like that. If he's worthy of United then surely Real would bring him back as Ramos isn't getting any younger...
Thanks!

Yeah, it seems they do and a return to Real is the most likely outcome i guess, but i don't think it would be impossible to persuade him to go elsewhere.

Aloysius's Back 3

Why are people saying stuff like Pogba is definitely moving * tends to be the Jose fan Boys more so than anyone else.

Pogba is not going to go anywhere once Jose leaves because ultimately he is idolised & is a star at his own club over clubs like Juventus & Psg where he will have to share the stardpn with others.

He is always going to be that 100 mil player we had to rebuy whilst he was free in our reserves all that time & he loves that.

Woodward is also going to be major protective whilst a manager like Jose wouldn't blink an eye for pogba, Martial, Rashford etc - the future of United.

JoaquinJoaquin

It is just sad when I read about Frenkie De Jong rumors, no Manchester United mentioned as club interest.

We will miss another Modric and it's sickening.
Totally agree. Our scouting is dreadful though so i'm not surprised. We supposedly have one of the highest amount of scouts, yet very few seem to be doing anything. Another aspect to the mess the club is in.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Before you commit to reading this, If you have the patience that is, I'm not saying we should sign all these players, especially in one window.
I'm just throwing some names in there who could move if pressed.
I'd consider this more of a two year plan, so the names on the list could easily change by next year.
I've also listed players mostly around 26 and under, simply because it's value for money, not so much a quick fix, but also has the quality to play from the off. Toby being the exception due to the potential buyout clause.

The Plan
First off, we need a manager. Poch or Howe for me. Honestly, beyond these two, I'm not sure whose out there, although I'm sure there are some good names
Secondly, get a DoF in to help with future plannings of the club.
Thirdly, tie De Gea and Martial down to contracts

Defence
Ok, once thats out of the way, lets access the team.
Start with defence. The real problem area. Issues throughout that backline.
Young and Valencia have been good servants, but how, through 3 managers are these two still important players in our side. So, fullbacks. Right now, I'd go as far as saying we have one decent fullback in Shaw, and then some potential in Dalot at RB.
Then at CB, we've got Rojo and Jones that need moving on. Throw in Darmian and that's 5 players. You could still question Lindelof, but he's improved quite a bit this season, so I'd say he's earned himself another year.

Players to look at:
LB - Telles or Tierney (You just know if we got Sandro, Telles would have been on the first plane to Turin)
RB - Sidibe (I'm actually not sure how good he is considering how bad Monaco have been this year, but some experience alongside Dalot is needed)
CB - Alderweireld, Skriniar, Manolas, De Light, Militiao (Toby has a cheap release clause coming up, so unless his wages are ridiculous, it's a no brainer, along with another)

Midfield
Once you move into midfield, we're looking at a good set of players that I think under perform, mostly due to Jose and his tactics going forward. (Severe lack of movement, gaps between players etc)
I don't think Matic would be everyone managers cup of tea, so could see him going, along with Fellaini.
In Pogba, Fred, Herrera and Pereira we've got a good core and just need to add one more player to it. Not sure who that player needs to be as but I'd like to see, somebody whose willing to defend, be able to transport the ball, but also pick out a pass.

Players to look at:
CM - De Jong, Neves, Ndombele, Savic, Saul (May be hard to attain, but he'd be the perfect player)

Depending on who the manager is and how we sets up, 433 or 4231 seems the in formation, then looking at a #10 would be needed.
I think Mata has been shunned on the right without having a fair go at the role you'd say he's best at, but an upgrade wouldn't go a miss

Players to look at:
#10 - Eriksen, Fekir (Even with that dodgey knee, I think he's got everything to be the Eriksen of UTD)

Attack
Then the front three. We again have some good players here. Martial can be world class, Rashford, I'm not sure yet, but the potential is there. I'd hope that with a more attacking side, Sanchez could find some of his previous form.
The elephant in the room right now is Lukaku. Would he suit most managers? Maybe, maybe not. He's proven he can score goals at lower sides, so why can't he here? Again, could it be down to Mourinho?
One massive problem is the RW though. It's been redundant for many years. Makeshift here and makeshift there. We've got away with it, but it's caught up to us and we need to fix it

Players to look at:
LW - Sancho (We don't need a LW, but he's obviously somebody we need to look into)
ST - Depay (Honestly don't know a striker to name right now, but with Depay's form and his buyback clause, it seems a no brainer, even if to sell on if he didn't work)
RW - Suso, Thauvin, Dembele, Bailey, Pulisic, Under, Lozano, Chiesa (A long list here, all of which would improve us. Suso definitely needs looking into. He's sort of gone under the radar but putting up some great performances for a few years now. Doesn't rely on pace as much as just able to hold onto the ball. A bit like Bernardo Silva. Thauvin. I can honestly say, I've not seen much of him since leaving the Prem, but he's apparently doing very well in France. Beyond that, Dembele is on the list due to his rumored issues. The others are just good young players)

How we could look
I know this wouldn't happen over night, but a solid two year plan and we'd should / could be back to where we need to be.

De Gea
Sidibe - Skriniar - Toby - Telles
Fekir - De Jong - Pogba
Suso - Sanchez - Martial

Romero
Dalot - Bailly - Lindelof - Shaw
Mata - Herrera - Fred
Lingard - Depay - Rashford

8 signings
Fekir in a midfield 3 looks strange, but think Pep when he players De Bruyne - Fernandinho - Silva.
Play aggresive, attacking football, holding a high line and it can work.
As everyone is in advanced positions, playing as a CM in a midfield three, or as a #10 doesn't really change much

Release clauses
Release clauses:
Suso - 35m
Toby - 25m
Depay - 25m
Telles - 35m

Not sure exactly how accurate these are, but in todays market these would be considered cheap, so 4 players potentially attainable without a fight.

TL;DR - Plenty of attainable players :lol:

L1nk

Before you commit to reading this, If you have the patience that is, I'm not saying we should sign all these players, especially in one window.
I'm just throwing some names in there who could move if pressed.
I'd consider this more of a two year plan, so the names on the list could easily change by next year.
I've also listed players mostly around 26 and under, simply because it's value for money, not so much a quick fix, but also has the quality to play from the off. Toby being the exception due to the potential buyout clause.

The Plan
First off, we need a manager. Poch or Howe for me. Honestly, beyond these two, I'm not sure whose out there, although I'm sure there are some good names
Secondly, get a DoF in to help with future plannings of the club.
Thirdly, tie De Gea and Martial down to contracts

Defence
Ok, once thats out of the way, lets access the team.
Start with defence. The real problem area. Issues throughout that backline.
Young and Valencia have been good servants, but how, through 3 managers are these two still important players in our side. So, fullbacks. Right now, I'd go as far as saying we have one decent fullback in Shaw, and then some potential in Dalot at RB.
Then at CB, we've got Rojo and Jones that need moving on. Throw in Darmian and that's 5 players. You could still question Lindelof, but he's improved quite a bit this season, so I'd say he's earned himself another year.

Players to look at:
LB - Telles or Tierney (You just know if we got Sandro, Telles would have been on the first plane to Turin)
RB - Sidibe (I'm actually not sure how good he is considering how bad Monaco have been this year, but some experience alongside Dalot is needed)
CB - Alderweireld, Skriniar, Manolas, De Light, Militiao (Toby has a cheap release clause coming up, so unless his wages are ridiculous, it's a no brainer, along with another)

Midfield
Once you move into midfield, we're looking at a good set of players that I think under perform, mostly due to Jose and his tactics going forward. (Severe lack of movement, gaps between players etc)
I don't think Matic would be everyone managers cup of tea, so could see him going, along with Fellaini.
In Pogba, Fred, Herrera and Pereira we've got a good core and just need to add one more player to it. Not sure who that player needs to be as but I'd like to see, somebody whose willing to defend, be able to transport the ball, but also pick out a pass.

Players to look at:
CM - De Jong, Neves, Ndombele, Savic, Saul (May be hard to attain, but he'd be the perfect player)

Depending on who the manager is and how we sets up, 433 or 4231 seems the in formation, then looking at a #10 would be needed.
I think Mata has been shunned on the right without having a fair go at the role you'd say he's best at, but an upgrade wouldn't go a miss

Players to look at:
#10 - Eriksen, Fekir (Even with that dodgey knee, I think he's got everything to be the Eriksen of UTD)

Attack
Then the front three. We again have some good players here. Martial can be world class, Rashford, I'm not sure yet, but the potential is there. I'd hope that with a more attacking side, Sanchez could find some of his previous form.
The elephant in the room right now is Lukaku. Would he suit most managers? Maybe, maybe not. He's proven he can score goals at lower sides, so why can't he here? Again, could it be down to Mourinho?
One massive problem is the RW though. It's been redundant for many years. Makeshift here and makeshift there. We've got away with it, but it's caught up to us and we need to fix it

Players to look at:
LW - Sancho (We don't need a LW, but he's obviously somebody we need to look into)
ST - Depay (Honestly don't know a striker to name right now, but with Depay's form and his buyback clause, it seems a no brainer, even if to sell on if he didn't work)
RW - Suso, Thauvin, Dembele, Bailey, Pulisic, Under, Lozano, Chiesa (A long list here, all of which would improve us. Suso definitely needs looking into. He's sort of gone under the radar but putting up some great performances for a few years now. Doesn't rely on pace as much as just able to hold onto the ball. A bit like Bernardo Silva. Thauvin. I can honestly say, I've not seen much of him since leaving the Prem, but he's apparently doing very well in France. Beyond that, Dembele is on the list due to his rumored issues. The others are just good young players)

How we could look
I know this wouldn't happen over night, but a solid two year plan and we'd should / could be back to where we need to be.

De Gea
Sidibe - Skriniar - Toby - Telles
Fekir - De Jong - Pogba
Suso - Sanchez - Martial

Romero
Dalot - Bailly - Lindelof - Shaw
Mata - Herrera - Fred
Lingard - Depay - Rashford

8 signings
Fekir in a midfield 3 looks strange, but think Pep when he players De Bruyne - Fernandinho - Silva.
Play aggresive, attacking football, holding a high line and it can work.
As everyone is in advanced positions, playing as a CM in a midfield three, or as a #10 doesn't really change much

Release clauses
Release clauses:
Suso - 35m
Toby - 25m
Depay - 25m
Telles - 35m

Not sure exactly how accurate these are, but in todays market these would be considered cheap, so 4 players potentially attainable without a fight.

TL;DR - Plenty of attainable players :lol:
I would argue with some of your choices for players, but, the idea itself is solid. If we're realistic though, nothing has shown us that this will happen, at all, especially not 8 new signings, even if it is needed :(.