Why did Ole abandon his vision?

finneh

That's another problem Solskjaer created by signing players that were unsuited to playing the football he spoke of wanting to implement in his first transfer window. So it's not really a surprise to me how it's gone thus far. But let's hope Varane can help a little in that regard.
I think the problem Solskjaer has is that he doesn't have the pedigree to make bold decisions in terms of buying players to suit a system. It does take quite a lot of confidence in your plan (and confidence from your employers) to buy less talented but more suitable players; rather than simply the most talented.

He knows that the team is better talent wise with Maguire, De Gea, Pogba, Sancho, Ronaldo in the team and is obviously not going to turn down the opportunity to sign/play them. The fact that you aren't able to have a pressing team with the majority of those players involved then just means he won't have his team press effectively.

Even in terms of the fan pressure. Letting Ronaldo go to City because he didn't suit Ole's tactics and sticking with Cavani would have piled pressure onto Ole.

Likewise next week starting Fred-VDB-Lingard-Bruno-Greenwood-Cavani as the front 6 would be a huge gamble. If we lost every headline would be about Ole's lineup. If he loses but plays his most talented lineup then there's an element of it being talented players not turning up on the day.

I think a manager with a higher pedigree and a more strict ideology makes more bold decisions that aren't necessarily as popular at the time. He's likely to have sold Pogba a couple of season ago, maybe using the funds to buy someone like Ndidi; possibly also signed someone like Jota instead of Sancho. Maybe let both De Gea and Henderson go and used the funds to bring in a more modern goalkeeper more suited to a high line.

justsomebloke

Maybe you guys should consider discussing this on the slightly more meaningful level of how we are doing our pressing and where on the pitch, and how that fits into an overall game plan? You know, as opposed to discussing it as if it was simply a question of choosing and being able to do more or less pressing, and who's doing it and who isn't? I know you've mostly bought into this general idea that we don't have any tactics other than sending the players out and let them get on with it, but who knows what you would find if you tried to look.

Read this, for example: The Different Tactical Eras of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: Part Five - by Pauly Kwestel - Kwest Thoughts (substack.com)

Note in particular this passage:

This season, instead of focusing on figuring out how to unlock a deep sitting defense, Solskjaer has focused on trying to create space in behind a team that wants to sit deep.

OGS’s solution was to (further) scale back United’s press and create a mid-block press. Instead of pressing high up the pitch (and tiring his players out even more than this grueling schedule already is), United encouraged teams to advance the ball to midfield or just past it.

The defense wouldn’t drop deep, keeping a small distance between the back four and the front forwards making things very compact.

To get them there, United would give the illusion of a press, pushing the front four of the 4-2-3-1 all the way high, but they wouldn’t actually put on a lot of pressure. The forwards were high but leaving the midfield and defense a bit further back. This discouraged opponents from trying to play long balls in behind the press, and instead try to play through it.

That’s exactly what United want you do, as once teams were able to push their midfielders and defenders up to midfield they’d go to work to launch their press.

Lentwood

I don't think Ole abandoned anything, he just can't do it. We have a saying in my country and I'll try to give a rough translation of it - "It is one thing to want to do something, another to be able to do it, and third and fourth to actually do it".
I don't think I agree with this. Not necessarily your opinion that Ole "can't do it", the jury is out on that. I disagree because I agree with OP, we have clearly abandoned our initial idea about being a high-intensity, high-press team. It's very clear from watching us that it's just not what our players are being asked to do.

Awwal Lawal

I think the problem Solskjaer has is that he doesn't have the pedigree to make bold decisions in terms of buying players to suit a system. It does take quite a lot of confidence in your plan (and confidence from your employers) to buy less talented but more suitable players; rather than simply the most talented.

He knows that the team is better talent wise with Maguire, De Gea, Pogba, Sancho, Ronaldo in the team and is obviously not going to turn down the opportunity to sign/play them. The fact that you aren't able to have a pressing team with the majority of those players involved then just means he won't have his team press effectively.

Even in terms of the fan pressure. Letting Ronaldo go to City because he didn't suit Ole's tactics and sticking with Cavani would have piled pressure onto Ole.

Likewise next week starting Fred-VDB-Lingard-Bruno-Greenwood-Cavani as the front 6 would be a huge gamble. If we lost every headline would be about Ole's lineup. If he loses but plays his most talented lineup then there's an element of it being talented players not turning up on the day.

I think a manager with a higher pedigree and a more strict ideology makes more bold decisions that aren't necessarily as popular at the time. He's likely to have sold Pogba a couple of season ago, maybe using the funds to buy someone like Ndidi; possibly also signed someone like Jota instead of Sancho. Maybe let both De Gea and Henderson go and used the funds to bring in a more modern goalkeeper more suited to a high line.
What is referred to as high pedigree is just another term for Political Capital/Power. The Mourinho debacle has made the club wary of investing so much in the vision of the coach.

Thus, for a coach of Ole's status and standing to gain the Political Clout in the club he needs to be quite subtle in achieving this objective which would take considerable time. This scenario is as evidenced in the composition of the transfer committee where there are veto power invested with certain individuals.

In the absence of having a full veto/political power, he needs to play the waiting game and take some hit in the short term for a shot at longer term control in terms of squad building and tactical control of the club direction. The stall in Pogba deal and Ronaldo signings are evidence of playing to the gallery to keep everyone onside. For a coach with a higher pedigree/political control both would not be part of the club currently.

Furthermore, as discussed to death on this forum, the last season's transfer window was quite an important time in reshaping the club's ideals. However, the pandemic coupled with the doubt about Ole's ability (political power) meant the window was uneventful in terms of squad building. Telles, Van De Beek, Cavani, Amad and Pellistri for a combined sum of £97 million represents an underwhelming group of players for the amount spent.

What can Ole do in this circumstance can be best paraphrased in the words of another coach where he likened coaching at a top club with driving an airplane while simultaneously trying to build it.

I hope he successfully implements his vision for United in the long run because I feel like Machiavelli in The Prince, right within the hallowed grounds of Old Trafford, there are some waiting for his failure to take over or install their favourite in his seat. However, despite this internal wranglings from the Club and external pressure from the fans he has to present a common front and a happy face to keep the club United.

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Give an average cook a fantastic recipe & he’ll make something decent, but not fantastic. That’s what we’ve seen with Ole at United.

Give an average cook a shit recipe & he’ll make something truly horrible, which is what we saw with him at Cardiff.

We’ll have good patches, we’ll have bad patches, we know what we’re gonna get because we’ve seen it for nearly 3 years. Nothing is going to change. We’re basically on a treadmill right now, we won’t step up into a title challenge because the coaching isn’t good enough, we won’t step out of the top 4 because the squad is too good. Top 4 finishes & probably no trophies is our foreseeable future under Ole. I don’t think we will ever finish within single digit points off the champions with Ole in charge.

finneh

What is referred to as high pedigree is just another term for Political Capital/Power. The Mourinho debacle has made the club wary of investing so much in the vision of the coach.

Thus, for a coach of Ole's status and standing to gain the Political Clout in the club he needs to be quite subtle in achieving this objective which would take considerable time. This scenario is as evidenced in the composition of the transfer committee where there are veto power invested with certain individuals.

In the absence of having a full veto/political power, he needs to play the waiting game and take some hit in the short term for a shot at longer term control in terms of squad building and tactical control of the club direction. The Pogba and Ronaldo signings are evidence of playing to the gallery to keep everyone onside. For a coach with a higher pedigree/political control both would not be part of the club currently.

Furthermore, as discussed to death on this forum, the last season's transfer window was quite an important time in reshaping the club's ideals. However, the pandemic coupled with the doubt about Ole's ability (political power) meant the window was uneventful in terms of squad building. Telles, Van De Beek, Cavani, Amad and Pellistri for a combined sum of £97 million represents an underwhelming group of players for the amount spent.

What can Ole do in this circumstance can be best paraphrased in the words of another coach where he likened coaching at a top club with driving an airplane while simultaneously trying to build it.

I hope he successfully implements his vision for United in the long run because I feel like Machiavelli in The Prince, right within the hallowed grounds of Old Trafford, there are some waiting for his failure to take over or install their favourite in his seat. However, despite this internal wranglings from the Club and external pressure from the fans he has to present a common front and a happy face to keep the club United.
Good post. The point I'd add is that he could do far more in shaping his vision whilst also keeping the fans and board on side. I agree he couldn't turn his nose up at Sancho and Ronaldo whilst simultaneously getting rid of Pogba. However getting rid of Pogba was possible; whereas as it stands we seem to be offering him an improved contract to stay. Presumably because he doesn't want to lose a talented player for nothing. Likewise letting De Gea leave rather than offering him a crazy salary to stay.

I'd like to see far more moulding a team and far less accumulation of talented individuals. In this regard Ole has done little of the former and lots of the latter. The salary bill is projected to bloat to £387m next season. Regardless of how one can spin it that is the kind of wage roll that should be dominating domestically and abroad.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think that Ole didn't thought that he would ever get the job permanently. Giggs was a far better household name then he was and he was never given the permanent job that despite having SAF's support. Therefore Ole threw caution to the wind and he gave fans what they wanted and what they expected from the man who could score in the last minute of a CL final.

When the job became permanent, Ole became cautious. Everything from his signings to his choice of coaches shows that. He knows that as long as he makes it to the CL he'll be safe so that's his aim.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
It's really simple, it comes down to fear. When he first came, he came with bright eyes and all the hopes in the world. He implemented an all action style of play and had us on that incredible run but slowly once the expectations changed, pressure built up and then results started faltering, at this point instead of reinforcing his ideals, he reneged and went into his shell tactically and ever since then he's been governed by fear of failure rather than pursuit of success.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think that Ole didn't thought that he would ever get the job permanently. Giggs was a far better household name then he was and he was never given the permanent job that despite having SAF's support. Therefore Ole threw caution to the wind and he gave fans what they wanted and what they expected from the man who could score in the last minute of a CL final.

When the job became permanent, Ole became cautious. Everything from his signings to his choice of coaches shows that. He knows that as long as he makes it to the CL he'll be safe so that's his aim.
I think this is it. He did everything in his power to get the job, now he’s doing everything in his power not to lose it. The shift in our playing style happened almost instantly after him getting the job permanently. As mentioned by a poster above, his fear of failure overrules his pursuit of success. He’s driving a Lamborghini with a provisional, and won’t take it over 50 mph because he’s scared he’ll crash.

MrBest

Talk is extremely cheap. What would you say if you became the manager of Manchester United? Exactly those things. Who would you buy if you had the biggest budget in the world? Sancho for sure, Varane a no-brainer, Bruno most likely given the lack of attacking mids at the time, Ronaldo never a doubt.. it’s not like Solskjær is a visionary in any single way.

Solskjær can say whatever he wants with experience from a semi-amateur league in his old country, but intensity, fitness and so on is much easier to fork out in such a league. Every team in England have top physical regiments, Ole Solskjær has no way of knowing how to maker us better, smarter or fitter, this is not Norway. Rosenborg hired this academic fitness guy with research, diplomas and Excel-sheets in the bag before the season to become the fittest team, and maybe they got better at it, but English teams have ten of them.
Great post

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

People tend to take a big risk when they have nothing to lose but the potential gain is massive. But when the risk vs reward is about equal they will perform much carefully. It's a fact.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Clearly we tried the all out pressing energy style, but we ended up breaking down with injuries all over the place.
Who can forget that game against Liverpool where we'd used 3 subs early and had to deal with a 25% or so fit Rashy the rest of the game.

Still drew 0-0 ridiculously, Klopp blaming OUR injuries on his team's poor peformance!

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The high intensity playstyle is related to counter attack. We are still adept at counter attacks and we are most dangerous at it. So it's not his vision that's been changed. It's the way he managed players that's been changed. The problem is high intensity, pressing game benefits a counter attacking team hugely. Perhaps that is why our midfielders get exposed much more, They didn't have to deal with recycling possession all that much at the start of Ole's reign. But now they actually have to keep the ball. If anything he needs to change his vision now. We can't play like a counter attacking team and playing at the back at the same time. Time to actually control the match, not just flicking and giving away the ball endlessly when the opponents have 10 men behind the ball.

Luke1995

Because he doesnt really know what he is doing.

All the top managers who went on to have a sucessful career did great things at a young coach age like Mourinho Guardiola Klopp Ferguson Wenger and so many others. When Wenger went to Arsenal in 1996 they were a mess and year after year he built his vision there despite coming in from managing in France and Japan which were very different from the PL.

Varun

Staff
We don't have the players to run and press all day long.

Ronaldo isn't gonna press, Pogba isn't gonna press, Rashford isn't gonna press, Greenwood will, Bruno will press but does it ineffectively. I don't know enough about Sancho to know if he is that sort of player. Cavani will but he's a squad player now.

To be one of those elite pressing teams, you have to work extremely hard and work as a unit. We don't do that. There was plenty of occasions on Saturday where an attacker pressed but wasn't helped by a teammate. It achieves feck all.
pretty much this. pressing isnt just about 1 player randomly chasing down someone. that looks well and good but does feckall for the team. you need all 11 to press and to press effectively in a system for it to work.

Will Singh

First he banged on about the united way and admittedly I could see it in our play. Spurs smashed us and I think that was a turning point in our attacking play. That was the start of the end of “the United way” fast forward to today, he’s now playing it safe as the shit has hit the fan and he knows he’s job is on the line. I think this is the very reason he’s not game VDB a run as if we gave him 7/8 games to adapt he’ll start showing us what we bought him for. I prey i’m wrong but I think Sancho is in the same boat, Ole thinks about he’s job and plays it safe (Greenwood has been on fire to be fair) hence why we also get McFred instead of Matic Pogba/VDB!

Dante

Average bang
Because he doesnt really know what he is doing.

All the top managers who went on to have a sucessful career did great things at a young coach age like Mourinho Guardiola Klopp Ferguson Wenger and so many others. When Wenger went to Arsenal in 1996 they were a mess and year after year he built his vision there despite coming in from managing in France and Japan which were very different from the PL.
I've never thought of Ole as the new Wenger before, but that's a good point. Obviously, swap France/Japan for Norway and you've just described the rebuilding job Solksjaer has done here. He's also just taken Wenger's unbeaten away record, so that another parallel.

largelyworried

This is from earlier in the year but I think it still helps to explain a lot.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-five-eras-of-solskjaers-manchester-united.460222/#post-26644496
The article neatly highlights how Ole has continually been reactive during his spell as a manager. Yes he's been thrown a lot of bum hands, which is something that's easy to overlook. A knackered squad in season one, missing Pogba almost all of season two, the covid disruption, a marathon season with no prep time last year. But at the end of the day, you will never get an easy ride in football. If going into his fourth season in charge he still hasn't set a clear Plan A and built his squad accordingly, then I don't think he ever will. At some point you have to define your style and build towards it, or just accept that you are fundamentally a reactive manager. I think Ole by his actions has shown he is reactive.

Kaos

I've never thought of Ole as the new Wenger before, but that's a good point. Obviously, swap France/Japan for Norway and you've just described the rebuilding job Solksjaer has done here. He's also just taken Wenger's unbeaten away record, so that another parallel.
I don't think that was his point. Ole is as far from early Wenger as you could possibly imagine. For starters the latter actually got Arsenal playing a very attractive, distinct form of football that they became renown for. He also won the premier league in his second season. Ole's gameplan seems to solely rely on individual brilliance and hasn't got any trophies to his name his third season in.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Maybe you guys should consider discussing this on the slightly more meaningful level of how we are doing our pressing and where on the pitch, and how that fits into an overall game plan?
These are good points well made. Clearly he has a tactic. It's not just about moments of talent.

But what he does not do is press high. And that is a very different beast to what you describe with the mid press. It sound a little like a fancy way of saying he tries to dominate the middle of the park, hence McFred, but maybe that's over simplifying it.

Would you agree that, broadly, high press done right is where the silverware is at?

justsomebloke

These are good points well made. Clearly he has a tactic. It's not just about moments of talent.

But what he does not do is press high. And that is a very different beast to what you describe with the mid press. It sound a little like a fancy way of saying he tries to dominate the middle of the park, hence McFred, but maybe that's over simplifying it.

Would you agree that, broadly, high press done right is where the silverware is at?
Er, no. I mean, why would it? It's not like every elite team plays with a high press?

justsomebloke

Great post
No it isn't, it is an absolutely ignorant and idiotic post. What, have just started to ignore reality now? Just.....ignore that OGs spent about 2 decades as a player, coach and manager in the PL, and obviously, self-evidently know what the PL requires in terms of physical conditioning? Because why, because that just fits with what you'd like to think?

lex talionis

Real Madrid arguably emits an even harder pressure on their managers, and their home fans are much less forgiving than the Old Trafford crowd. Yet Real Madrid has no issue replacing their managers from time to time. So I don't buy this notion that the manager job at Old Trafford is this uniquely tough job. If any, Manchester United is much more lax to the manager compared to other top teams (Real, Bayern, Chelsea...).
The fan pressure at Real and Bayern is just as great as at United, but those clubs enjoy the pick of the litter when it comes to bringing in top players. However, your broader implied point that they’re better managed is very well taken. I don’t recall either Real or Bayern appointing a clown like Moyes.

Raveneye

Early into his reign Ole kept banging on us becoming this high intensity team that could run all day long and pressure the opponents in their own half, basically, making us the fittest bunch out there.

At some stage it actually did look as if we were trying to be this high pressing team he promised us we’ll be but instead gradually we have shifted away from this vision. At the moment we certainly don’t like the team that is running others ragged in any way and the pressing is subdued at best.

Can someone explain to me why Ole dropped his own plans? I think everyone would be more patient if he would just stuck with it and followed through.
The whole team collapsed through injury because they couldn't keep up the pace.

We have in general put much greater emphasis on fitness and it has paid dividends. Other teams tend to gas out earlier than we do which helps us get late goals so often.

glazed

Er, no. I mean, why would it? It's not like every elite team plays with a high press?
Interesting point. I was under the impression that Chelsea Liverpool Spurs (under Poch) and City all do/did High Press in some shape or form - so the last four English Champions League finalists and last two English champions. But they all come in different flavours so it's a bit reductionist I realise. I don't claim to be an expert on other clubs' tactics so a more knowledgeable person can correct me.

Not sure about PSG and Bayern in 2020 as I didn't see the UCL Final. But I've heard that they did too?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

essentially what the main issue is.

we are too rushed, we always want to go for the killer ball and end up losing our team shape instead of retaining control and recycling attacks.

largelyworried

Interesting point. I was under the impression that Chelsea Liverpool Spurs (under Poch) and City all do/did High Press in some shape or form - so the last four English Champions League finalists and last two English champions. But they all come in different flavours so it's a bit reductionist I realise. I don't claim to be an expert on other clubs' tactics so a more knowledgeable person can correct me.

Not sure about PSG and Bayern in 2020 as I didn't see the UCL Final. But I've heard that they did too?
Yep, the last 4 PL winners and the last 3 CL winners have all had a high press as a central component of their game. Chelsea under Tuchel a bit less often than the others, but Liverpool, City and Bayern for sure. Not the only way to win a game, but undeniably very effective. If you're not going to utilise it, you need a pretty good alternative. Not sure that Ole's mid pitch counter attack is really the answer.

glazed

If you're not going to utilise it, you need a pretty good alternative. Not sure that Ole's mid pitch counter attack is really the answer.
The alternative appears to be not winning big competitions. But it if it so brilliant why does everybody not do it? I guess because it has to be done well or not at all. And that requires a lot of commitment at an organisational level within the club.

Out of interest, did Lampard help create Tuchel's high press? I never got the impression it was his thing and yet Chelsea converted to it awfully quick. In which case maybe we could too?

roykent

Ronaldo isn't gonna press, Pogba isn't gonna press, Rashford isn't gonna press, Greenwood will, Bruno will press but does it ineffectively. I don't know enough about Sancho to know if he is that sort of player. Cavani will but he's a squad player now.

To be one of those elite pressing teams, you have to work extremely hard and work as a unit. We don't do that. There was plenty of occasions on Saturday where an attacker pressed but wasn't helped by a teammate. It achieves feck all.
I think back to many of the games in the Ferguson era and they were most effective when they did have high intensity and be in their opponent’s face. They were very skilled but played with intensity

jamesjimmybyrondean

essentially what the main issue is.

we are too rushed, we always want to go for the killer ball and end up losing our team shape instead of retaining control and recycling attacks.
That Villa game was incredibly direct and impatient play from us. We need to be more in control of the ball. When we have the ball we just want to get it into the net as fast as possible.

TheRedHearted

Cause he has no vision. Part of me makes me feel we shouldn’t have won that PSG so we could have actually got in someone with a vision of how to play football.
It’s interesting cause anyone with some common sense wouid see we won that game cause of individual brilliance by Lukaku. Wasn’t really a game where our team outsmarted them and outplayed them

LoneStar

Not just Ole, most players and coaches just say random shit to please the fans. No one will go out and say that they think letting the team sit and counter is the way to go.

When it comes to tactics and selection/rotation of players, don't believe what they say, rather look at what they do on the pitch. Microanalysis of their statements is just a waste of time.

Luke1995

The point is not about expecting Ole to become a new Wenger.

It's the fact that so far in his managerial career, Ole hasn't shown a certain quality that could make him a great manager one day.

No matter from what country a manager comes from to the PL, the ones that go on to attain some sustainable level of sucess in a big club do manage to set a clear pattern of play in the squad, even if the current squad isn't quite good enough to challenge yet. The Arsenal Wenger got in 96 wasn't much different from what he had in 98 or 99 but you could see he was slightly progressing. Then from 2000 to 2004 they were really good.

When I look at Ole today, there's not a big difference to what he was doing in 2019 for example. We have signed better players, but some flaws haven't been corrected.

Glorio

That Villa game was incredibly direct and impatient play from us. We need to be more in control of the ball. When we have the ball we just want to get it into the net as fast as possible.
Here's to hoping he's telling Bruno and Pogba just that. Was very wasteful and frustrating the pair of them trying to set 36 y/o Ronaldo off from deep in our own half against Aston Villa. I know our midfield leaves a lot to be desired, but that was really puzzling. I remember a shot where Ronaldo was telling them to calm down

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Agreed.

glazed

This is the long and short of it. You could add that the higher pedigree manager doesn't even come because he can see that transfers are controlled by the money men not the football men. The best we can get are mercenaries and slightly weaker candidates like Poch who will become frustrated by the limitations they are put under.

This was said under Van Gaal and Mourinho as well, and it's always seemed the wrong way around to me.

It's not a case of having or not having the players to press - there's no reason supremely fit athletes of Rashford, Greenwood and Fernandes's ages aren't able to execute a pressing game (Ronaldo is obviously different now at 36, but even when he was at his peak it was obvious why he was allowed not to bother with too much defensive work), or to think they just refuse to do it if the coaching team tells them to.

It's the coaches' job to drill the players to press effectively as a team, if they want, and it seems pretty clear to me from the last 2 years that Solskjaer just doesn't want us pressing too aggressively up the pitch. Probably because he wants to draw teams further up and give us space to play in. That's a tactical decision.

MrBest

No it isn't, it is an absolutely ignorant and idiotic post. What, have just started to ignore reality now? Just.....ignore that OGs spent about 2 decades as a player, coach and manager in the PL, and obviously, self-evidently know what the PL requires in terms of physical conditioning? Because why, because that just fits with what you'd like to think?
Firstly, who are you to tell me that it is not a good post, do you get a right to my opinion? I think you should tred carefully in how you dismiss another persons opinion. Secondly, i really do not understand what point you are trying to make in your response, you just sound angry and defensive. Finally, I couldn't care less if Ole was a player and then a manager and has spent 20 years at this club. The league 20 years ago is not the same as it is now, its called change, a concept that a lot of people struggle to come to terms with. I am also a fan, i think i know what i like to see better than you, outside this forum in the real world, there are a lot of people these days who are tired of watching this man blindlessly try to manage these players. I tend to stop at McFred, even a lampost would question the reasoning of these two together. Did you hear his press conference? His justification was they give energy, break up play and do there best. Nothing about controlling the game, getting in the box, playing the killer pass, dictating the game etc. The press conference today was further evidence that he is clueless. I did my best to understand what your point was, im pretty sure im no closer to understanding though.

432JuanMata

I’m not jumping on the Ole hate as he is getting enough abuse but what was his vision ? His best tactic was counter attacking but when we dominate I’ve never seen one.
Look at our home record last season it was awful and mostly against sides that sit deep. Ole has met expectations and built a good squad but I was always worried about his tactical ability and I still am