Why did we buy Fred?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's better than Pereira and McTominay, I don't give a damn.
Hasn't kicked a ball in 49 days. We've fecked up by not putting him in a condition to play. I'd understand if we picked up a semi-pro in the Conference but this is a £50m Brazilian international. We should have been given him minutes.

Castia

Something isn’t right when 2 managers don’t fancy giving you minutes.

I mean behind the pecking order to Pereira and McTominay whilst Fellaini is also gone is frankly shocking, he must be completely dog shit in training.

LARulz

Surely he is a better bet than Pereira? I understand McTominay but not that one

NinjaFletch

I don't really think there's a role for him in the side with the formation we play. He's not a great player defensively, so I don't think he's an option for either Herrera or Matic's position. He's not a better player than Pogba and the fourth midfielder is basically a striker.

He also might not be that good. That's certainly not an unreasonable assumption based on what we've seen of him when he has played.

Silas

If he was showing that he's better than either Pereira or McTominay in their respective roles, he'd be playing ahead of them. Simple as that. Clearly, still not good enough (yet).

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
May be having issues at home or adapting to life in England in general. Has he been training with the first team?

Tony247

FFS team is getting battered and 50m 25 yr old experienced signee warming the bench.

Alabaster Codify7

I reckon he's off this summer, Ole doesnt seem to fancy him in the slightest - we'd be lucky to get £25m for him to be honest, shocking transfer strategy at this fecking club. Absolutely shocking.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
When did it become standard to be writing players off in their first season? I mean you got doubts and the odd few kneejerkers but it seems like most want him out... Weird.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Must be some major issues with him to make the bench but never get any nearer than that to the pitch under Ole, particularly in the circumstances today.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
When did it become standard to be writing players off in their first season? I mean you got doubts and the odd few kneejerkers but it seems like most want him out... Weird.
When said players barely feature. I can understand wanting to wait a year for a struggling player who still gets play time but Fred has been completely shunned. This doesn't bode well.

Moriarty

Did we buy him as a tax write-off or something? £50 million for someone who's not even within spitting distance of a spot is baffling to me.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Sanchez and him are goners. Its good for the club and for their careers as well.

el3mel

Ole doesn't have any trust in neither him nor Sanchez. They're both last in the picking order. Ole just says good things in the media but he's no push over away from it, and has enough guts to chip off the players he thinks they're not good enough for the team.

Ekeke

Its a mystery. Surely if Solskjaer stays, Fred is gone in the summer. I understand him taking some time to adapt but if he cant be called on ahead of McTominay and Andreas when we're in a pinch, then he's not even useful right now and thats not good enough.

Tony247

adaption shadaption I don't care. When our entire first choice midfield except pogba is buggered, when team needs an experienced midfielder the most, can't he even come and do basics and put 45 mins on duty?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Palace and Saints next two games. If Pereira AND Mctominay play instead of him then i don't know why keep him for next year.

Canagel

it must suck watching those injuries and remain stuck on the bench. you get the feeling ole won't use him until we have no other midfielders left. it's very bizarre.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I think that he should be our 4th choice but he isn't that. And problem is how future looks for him. He is 6th choice now. So what will change in next few months? It is not like after summer he will be different player with different status

Ed9

We bought him because Jose wanted him. From what I've seen of him I'd play Andreas and McTominay over him as well.

Tony247

Is he doing worse than McT in training? I meant McT doesn't do any fancy stuff, just stay in basics. Fred can't even pull that in training?? Its incomprehensible.

SoCross

Was he THAT bad in the few games he's had this season? Surely deserves a chance. Puzzling

Adamsk7

I completely trust Ole’s judgement on our players as he has been brilliant at assessing our squad since he’s arrived. If he doesn’t think Fred is any good then that’s that. It’s also up to Fred to prove otherwise.

Doesn’t matter how much he costs, that’s the cold ruthlessness we need from our manager.

Denis79

Was he THAT bad in the few games he's had this season? Surely deserves a chance. Puzzling
Something is off, either he doesn't give a shit in training or he doesn't care. I'm 100% sure that if he showed improvement in training he would have got a chance considering our injuries.

stepic

Thing is he had a few games earlier in the season where he looked alright. Him and Pogba were building something. Then he’s not had a look in since.

Andersons Dietician

Surely you would think the midweek game vs Palace he has to get a run out. Feel like he can play in numerous positions but have to say the future isn’t looking bright for him here at United currently.

SoCross

Something is off, either he doesn't give a shit in training or he doesn't care. I'm 100% sure that if he showed improvement in training he would have got a chance considering our injuries.
Yeah there has to be something off. He's not been appalling in the games he's played. Guess we'll find out over the next 15 days, surely he'll start in at least two games.

Bwuk

Sanchez has been a waste of £ but Fred has cost us a lot more for what in effect is our 6th choice midfielder.

Madness.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Might just be a case of him acclimating to the country. Many players have taken a year or so to settle in properly.

R'hllor

Only hope i have for him is that coaches working really hard with him on training, so he learns what we are about and how we wanna play, if so, hope he adapts as soon as possible.

Water Melon

Really really weird signing. The lad is supposed to be in his prime, was bought for 50million quid and is still warming the bench. Unflippingbelievable.