Why do we not have a women's team?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
:lol: Well, I know some women football fans who admitted watching men's football games to drool-... admiring the men.

But ya, these things better keep it private and personally confidential. Ahem.
I started coaching girls and women back in 2006. ( I coach boys and men as well) Ive coached all age groups from little girls to senior women, Ive been involved with school teams local representative teams and national training camps. Typically I was in charge of 3 teams a season and was coaching 11 months of the year. It would be an easy estimation to say i have been involved in coaching at least 1000 female players during the last 9 years. While coaching these teams we have been away at week long tournaments, traveled by bus to games, been in camp and normal training as well as game day. Also the girls and women attend games where i have gone along with them or bumped into them at games.
Never in all that time I heard the girls or women "drooling" over the men or boys playing. Not once. The whole idea that girls and women go to watch a football game because they can drool over male players is an immature childish and pathetic male fantasy that simply doesnt exist the way its played out by people on this forum.

The reality is that there has been a massive growth in numbers of girls and women playing the game all over the world. The really nice side effect of this growth has been that girls and boys, men and women now go to watch games and discuss football, tactics, player selections, transfers etc etc et together. Football is no longer just for the boys on all levels.
1 particular girl i coached for a number of years is now playing for a US university and has played internationally. She also happens to be the single biggest Utd fan I know. She has made the pilgrimage to Old Traffod twice just so she could see her hero's play and experience being a Utd fan at an actual game.

The crap over the last few years in these forums with respect to womens football is pathetic, embarrasing and cringeworthy to read.

Marcus

I am all for it if it does not adversely affect the resources available to the existing team.

ROFLUTION

I started coaching girls and women back in 2006. ( I coach boys and men as well) Ive coached all age groups from little girls to senior women, Ive been involved with school teams local representative teams and national training camps. Typically I was in charge of 3 teams a season and was coaching 11 months of the year. It would be an easy estimation to say i have been involved in coaching at least 1000 female players during the last 9 years. While coaching these teams we have been away at week long tournaments, traveled by bus to games, been in camp and normal training as well as game day. Also the girls and women attend games where i have gone along with them or bumped into them at games.
Never in all that time I heard the girls or women "drooling" over the men or boys playing. Not once. The whole idea that girls and women go to watch a football game because they can drool over male players is an immature childish and pathetic male fantasy that simply doesnt exist the way its played out by people on this forum.

The reality is that there has been a massive growth in numbers of girls and women playing the game all over the world. The really nice side effect of this growth has been that girls and boys, men and women now go to watch games and discuss football, tactics, player selections, transfers etc etc et together. Football is no longer just for the boys on all levels.
1 particular girl i coached for a number of years is now playing for a US university and has played internationally. She also happens to be the single biggest Utd fan I know. She has made the pilgrimage to Old Traffod twice just so she could see her hero's play and experience being a Utd fan at an actual game.

The crap over the last few years in these forums with respect to womens football is pathetic, embarrasing and cringeworthy to read.
With respect to your good work as a coach in ladies football, I guess there is a difference between players playing and outside girls watching on a screen. I can only speak from my experience which is watching football with girls like 10-15 times, but around 90% of my girl friends would all comment on the looks of the players and who is hot or not - it's sometimes like the less interested in football they are, the more interesting in the looks of the players are. I also watch football at a bar with a couple of real United fans (girls) who never comment on the looks - then it's just all about United and how we play.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT

I watch football at bars mostly and next time when you are there observe group of ladies when players like giroud, blind comes up in the screen. Attraction and a bit of sexuality attached to the opposite genders in sports is natural and totally nothing wrong with it. Definately not cringeworthy.

ROFLUTION

I watch football at bars mostly and next time when you are there observe group of ladies when players like giroud, blind comes up in the screen. Attraction and a bit of sexuality attached to the opposite genders in sports is natural and totally nothing wrong with it. Definately not cringeworthy.
:lol: Blind is ALWAYS the one here too :drool:

Needham

Good idea, I'm all in favour of Redcafe having a woman's team.

Web of Bissaka

I wasn't making generalization of women, well there are those who did drool and the many women who are serious in the sports of football supporting players, the games and loving the sport. Anyhow, yeah I agree the respects given to Women's Football in general is really... yeah, improper.

Back to the topic, true the more supports given to the development of Women's Football, the more it would have better image. Even more than that, it would provide the many women and girls who love the game and playing the sport the platforms to express their love of the game.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Young boys get the chance to join an academy get their education and play football for a big club. Young girls will never get the same opportunity unless someone invests in them the same way. A tad unfair in my book.
So why does that have to be United? If the women's game is ever to have any real credibility and stand on its own legs then they need their own clubs, otherwise they'll forever be in the shadow of the men's team.

jungledrums

Don't want to get too off topic, but that is entirely anecdotal. I've experienced the polar opposite personally. But let me clarify - there's absolutely nothing wrong with females being attracted to male athletes, and males being attracted to female athletes. And given you're such an upstanding coach of these fine ladies, what in fecks name makes you think they'd confide in you about attractive male athletes? There's a degree of separation between players and coaches, and I'm afraid to tell you mate, you're not privy to their inner circles. I actually have nothing at all against the idea of funding and supporting female football, I just fecking cannot understand your sanctimonious, holier-than-thou attitude towards this issue.

To address the OP and the thread itself, it appears United do support female youth football, so that's a good start in itself. The only cringeworthy experience is reading your posts, to be honest. Can't block you though, I do enjoy the laughs.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

You're taking a situation here you are around women dedicated to the sport and generalising it across all society. The people you have coaches and been around are probably a lot more into the sport than the typical 'I watch cause my boyfriend is watching' types. There are lots of girls that aren't interested in the game at all but will enjoy looking at the players in a sexual way and deciding who they think is good looking. Why is it wrong when men do the same?

Fwiw I actually feel we should have a women's team. Mostly because we're the biggest club in the world and I'd like us to be the biggest club in the women's game as well. Doesn't change the fact that I might also enjoy seeing some good looking women playing at the same time.

Oscie

We're a club who has an official tractor sponsor. If a woman's team was at all commercially viable we'd have one. From the community stand point we probably should have one though. It is the Emperor's New Clothes of sports though; there seems to be a real resistance by some to admit that either compared with the men's game or as a stand-alone professional-level sport, women's football is fairly dreadful, even at the highest level.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Equal rights would be a female team that isn't subsidised by the money that the men's team brings in.
This is the point most so-called SJWs don't get - the mens game has almost two centuries worth of development, and has taken a lot of blood, sweat and tears (literally at times) to get to where it is today. People now expect the women's game to skip all that, and ride on the back of the men's game. If there was true equality, women would start exactly where men started, and try to build their game from that. Anything else would be unjust, and morality doesnt really have anything to do with it.
I feel sorry for how narrow-minded both of you are.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Its amazing that a club of this stature did not tap into the cosmetic market and sponsorships
This is the point most so-called SJWs don't get - the mens game has almost two centuries worth of development, and has taken a lot of blood, sweat and tears (literally at times) to get to where it is today. People now expect the women's game to skip all that, and ride on the back of the men's game. If there was true equality, women would start exactly where men started, and try to build their game from that. Anything else would be unjust, and morality doesnt really have anything to do with it.
So you saying basically women should start by getting minimum wage, breaking each others leg, playing in a muddy fields and telecasted in black and white TV so that your version of "justice" and "equality" can be achieved? Dude i can't even...

Jarman

Some people seem reallly passionate about having a women's team, fair play to you all but honestly would any of you honestly ever go to watch down at leigh sports village?

Really not sure what my thoughts are to be honest. It's not just the women's first team that we would need it would be a whole new youth set up as well. And how long will it be before it becomes unacceptable for the best ladies in the country to be earning 0.01% of the top men? How unfair would it be a youth level for athe best boy in the academy to be on tens of thousands while the best girl will effectively be told you are just lucky to even get to train with the top coaches (as presumably they won't get paid).

On the other hand how long will the premier league be able to get away with paying the men's teams £140,000,000 prize money and the women's team feck all. Surely in the future they will want equal prize money like in every other sport? Taking money out of the men's game (not a bad thing with the way it is going, at the moment it is just insanely rich players and agents taking the money out of the game, £350,000 per week is going to become the norm.

All in all I have no idea, I don't really want a women's team as I would not care about it at all. It would not be man united,it would be a box ticking political correctness exercise (that is possibly the right thing to do). On the otherhand I have a daughter and i would love to see her in our shirt playing at old Trafford and I guess this is what the point is little girls should be allowed to dream.

Last edited:

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Would never watch it or follow ladies football, but yeah there should be a team

Are we the only pl club without one?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Some people seem reallly passionate about having a women's team, fair play to you all but honestly would any of you honestly ever go to watch down at leigh sports village?

Really not sure what my thoughts are to be honest. It's not just the women's first team that we would need it would be a whole new youth set up as well. And how long will it be before it becomes unacceptable for the best ladies ladies in the country earning 0.01% of the top men? How unfair would it be a youth level for athe best boy in the academy to be on tens of thousands while the best girl will effectively be told you are just lucky to even get to train with the top coaches (as presumably they won't get paid).

On the other hand how long will the premier league be able to get away with paying the men's teams £140,000,000 prize money and the women's team feck all. Surely in the futere they will want equal prize money like in every other sport? Taking money out of the men's game (not a bad thing with the way it is going, at the moment it is just insanely rich players and agents taking the money out of the game, £350,000 per week is going to become the norm the way things are going).

All in all I have no idea, I don't really want a women's team as I would not care about it at all. It would not be man united,it would be a box ticking political correctness exercise (that is possibly the right thing to do). On the otherhand I have a daughter and i would love to see her in our shirt playing at old Trafford and I guess this is what the point is little girls should be allowed to dream.
Why would having a women's team be a box ticking political correctness exercise? :houllier:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The only reason for United not to have a women's team is financial and I even see that as an excuse rather than a reason. The amount of money involved would get lost in the noise in a transfer deal because of a exchange rate change, or a financing option. But United pride themselves on their marketing skills, and I don't see why we can't apply them to the women's game.

Why have a women's team at all? Because we can, we have the experience and logistics support to do it, the facilities and the coaching support. As good corporate citizens, we can listen to what the FA and others are asking from us - to support women's sport, because the more women and girls who play sport, the better the nation's health will be. I'd suggest it'll also lead to more women and girls who'll enjoy watching the men's game, and the women's.

Purely selfishly, as a United fan it annoys me when they read out a England team with no United players. It annoys me to see finals and league tables with City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal featuring and no chance of seeing United's name. It's not about a great moral crusade for me, it's just obvious that we are well placed to be a leader, and we're not even taking part.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Sporting just got one this year and already won the championship. Much better than the male team :lol:. Seriously now, i'm all for it. I even went to the title decisive game at Alvalade because our President let them use the stadium for the important games. The quality is subpar (the league is weak and the team is one year old), hard to watch but the effort is incredible. Better than some overpaid pampered primadonnas we have on the male team. I also watched the cup final on TV where they completed the double. I hope the project holds on. Sporting is the only big club so far, Porto and Benfica rejected the chance. They need to join for the league to survive. I wish them the best, the ladies deserve it.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
If it's needed that must mean your pity for them will achieve something. What?
How do you come to the conclusion that it's done to achieve something?

I pity them because as grown men they genuinely believe what they say about women & equality and it's just sad.

I don't care what that achieves.

Needham

How do you come to the conclusion that it's done to achieve something?

I pity them because as grown men they genuinely believe what they say about women & equality and it's just sad.

I don't care what that achieves.
Just wonder why you think your pity is necessary.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Just wonder why you think your pity is necessary.
Most of the things we do & choices we make are done because we want to do them not because it's necessary.
Nothing we do on this forum is necessary.

Jarman

Why would having a women's team be a box ticking political correctness exercise? :houllier:
Well why do you think we would have a women's team then? Let's face it will you go and watch them play. It's just in the modern world we are looked at by many is a disgrace (think that term is used every other post at the moment). The only reason you see it as a disgrace is because of political correctness it's not that girls are not allowed to play football, they can. You could even go and start a ladies team of your own and get them promoted through the divisions. I just don't see why it has got to be affiliated with Manchester United other than as a box ticking exercise (Man united ladies team, check).

If you don't see this :houllier:

Tiber

Because we dont need one and as far as I am aware have never had one?

Twisted Nerve

feck off with the misogynistic bullshit.
Misogynistic? My wife likes to sit there with me and watch football for the "hot guys and their legs"... direct quote which I find amusing and have no issue with, so this PC virtue-signalling bullshit can feck off too because anything that men like, women also like just as much and we are kidding ourselves to think any different.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Well why do you think we would have a women's team then? Let's face it you will go and watch them play. It's just in the modern world we are looked at by many is a disgrace (think that term is used every other post at the moment). The only reason you see it as a disgrace is because of political correctness it's not that girls are not allowed to play football, they can. You could even go and start a ladies team of your own and get them promoted through the divisions. I just don't see why it has got to be affiliated with Manchester United other than as a box ticking exercise (Man united ladies team, check).

If you don't see this :houllier:
I think we should have one because almost everyone else does, so the fact that we are refusing to have one is just strange - there must be a reason. And money can't be it considering our wealth.

Plus I'd like to see women's football have a higher profile, and I think a Man United women's football team would do that more than City, Arsenal & Chelsea women's teams.

Nothing to do with political correctness or being a disgrace. And even then, i'm not sure what your beef is with political correctness.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Of course we should have a women's team. We've already lost a lot of ground and there's catching-up to do. For those talking about commercial viability, I'd suggest the club does lots of things already in the local community which don't bring about any financial advantage - but they do get kids interested in health and sport.

I was playing football in our town's women's team 45 years ago. It's not just something that's appeared in the last 10 years.

klsv

Some people here are truly struggling with their overly fragile masculinity...

To be fair to the club, the MU Foundation runs girls' sides from U9 to U16 http://www.mufoundation.org/Projects/Girls-RTC.aspx
Sadly those who wish to dedicate themselves will need to move away afterwards.

Because we dont need one and as far as I am aware have never had one?
Fantastic input! The women's team was axed in 2005.

Ixion

Rooney's weekly salary would probably cover the salary of an entire women's squad. We have money coming out of our ears that not everything we do should need to turn a profit if it's the right thing to do.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I'm not really sure. On the one hand little girls growing up should be able to make their dream of playing for Manchester United a reality, just as little boys can. On the other hand, just because Manchester United is a men's club doesn't necessarily mean there should be a women's team as well. It's piggy backing on the brand, they could just start their own team. But I'm fairly sure that's just my innate ignorance talking, I could probably be convinced of the need for a women's team.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Equal rights would be a female team that isn't subsidised by the money that the men's team brings in.
Nah
Rubbish

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
My tagline will look suspect for this, but why on earth should we have a women's team? At the end of the day, United are a business, why should we expect them to create a women's team if it doesn't make any money? I don't understand it.
Yes we're the richest club in the world but without the sport we'd be nothing. We have a responsibility to 'give back' and considering the position we're in with (hundreds of) millions of fans, we are in a position of influence that few other teams are.

I think it's incredibly disappointing that we don't do more on this front and think it could help a lot changing attitudes and encouraging girls to get in to the sport.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I have a question, and I know it's a bit of a stupid one and it doesn't really work this way, but...

If you had a choice between developing a women's team, from youth level all the way up, which includes getting players, developing infrastructure, putting money towards promotion, getting coaches etc or buying a player for our first team, what would you prefer?