Why does Gary Neville root against us?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Schmeichel's Cartwheel, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Oct 21, 2019

Number4. New Member

Two reasons:

1) He overcompensates in the interest of appearing balanced on air
    2) United fans unconscious bias doesn't expect anything other than "Red" commentary from him

No doubt he is a fan and wants nothing other than improvement from the club
  2. Oct 21, 2019

Blueman New Member

Supports:
    Man City
    That clip surely proves how much that goal meant to him!

Do Neville and Carragher get on though? I mean they didnt look at each other once, Neville celebration was like **** YOU Carragher
  3. Oct 21, 2019

Velvet Revolver Full Member

I think you meant Neville going on a rant about jose sacking. well yeah thats the definition of hypocrisy. When Jose was in charge Gary was all over him to get sacked and when there were rumours he went on a rampage. His credibility is a bit messed up. United fan or not!
  4. Oct 21, 2019

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Indeed

When he's on commentary he has to remain unbiased (something Carragher doesn't even try to do), when it comes to analysing post match how anyone can listen to him and think he's rooting against us needs to remove the tin foil hat
  5. Oct 21, 2019

PyroMan New Member

This, 100%.

You could see it from his celebration how much it meant to him that we took the lead yesterday. People talking about him rooting against us are wearing their tin-hats.
  6. Oct 21, 2019

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018 Scout

He went on a rant defending Jose and going all out against Woodward. It's still available on youtube, it was before Newcastle game last year.

Most time he defended Jose and went on and on about players quality. Always said manager should be given time.
  7. Oct 21, 2019

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

complete lies

If Neville had his way Moyes would still be in charge. He's never ever wanted a manger sacked
  8. Oct 21, 2019

Irrational. Full Member

Deep down you can tell he loves United and wants us to do well, as evidenced by his celebration yesterday. He tries to overcompensate for this in his commentary and usually ends up going the other way, as much as it pains him.
  9. Oct 21, 2019

Exactly! This whole nostalgia and the 'united way' is what has gotten us into this mess unfortunately
  10. Oct 21, 2019

VidaRed Full Member

11. Oct 21, 2019

Judas Open to offers

I'm mostly Team Souness in that video, now that's a weird feeling.
  12. Oct 21, 2019

Sure you can live in a world that you have created. Whatever makes you happy!
  13. Oct 21, 2019

Majima Full Member

Neville is deluded and so blinded by sentimentality it's scary. I wish he would remove himself from Ole's behind soon. He always talks about Ole's great 'plan for the future', whilst completely ignoring Ole's woeful planning & judgement in the past 8 months.

I was fully on Souness' side there, which says it all about Neville.
  14. Oct 21, 2019

Van Piorsing Lost his light sabre

TV station needed just a bit of controversy and Gary Neville provided as a man on a payroll.

That thing will happen a lot more, sadly.
  15. Oct 21, 2019

mitchmouse Full Member

I don't think he does anything of the sort. Seems he's become some people's pet hate...
  16. Oct 21, 2019

Snafu17 Full Member

How do people think Souness is in the right in that video is beyond me. Neville's whole point is that we need to bring in players that will fit with the way we want to play. That's it. "Just bring a good player in, you had good players in the past, that's why you were successful" is a pointless argument.
  17. Oct 21, 2019

M Bison Full Member

Supports:
    York City
    What utter nonesense. If you truly believes this there’s no hope for you.
  18. Oct 21, 2019

Mainoldo Full Member

Souness’s point is that we are Manchester United and we are 13th. You can’t be trying to buy the right players and not progressing. Something has to given. Either change your plan or change your manager.
  19. Oct 21, 2019

Schmeichel's Cartwheel Full Member

I think his point was more we're Man United and we're midtable. Getting rid of a striker and not replacing him was dumb.
  20. Oct 21, 2019

thepolice123 Full Member

Looked like he's struggling to contain his inner fan and trying to low key his reaction. :lol:
  21. Oct 21, 2019

FujiVice Full Member

Souness was spot on in fairness.
  22. Oct 22, 2019

nokillingmoths Full Member

Gary neville in being a united fan shock horror. People in this thread...
  23. Oct 23, 2019

Reddevil1978 New Member

Love Gary, absolute club legend and a great right back (wasn't a very fashionable one so goes a bit underrated) . And I like him as a pundit although I don't agree with everything he says.

He loves Manchester United and bleeds Red how can anyone say otherwise?
  24. Oct 23, 2019

shamans Hoser

He does support the club wholeheartedly.

Only problem is he is an idiot who doesn't know what's good for the club.
  25. Oct 23, 2019

koop New Member

What was even more funny is Sounness saying that UTD need to buy a goal scorer, period.
    Gary was saying that we had Lukaku who was a proven goal scorer, but not what Ole wanted because he didn't fit the style Ole wants to play.
  26. Oct 23, 2019

Dante Bang Average but can post Blindfolded for 15 secs

But you do? If he thinks you're wrong, are you an idiot?

Maybe the two of you just disagree and neither is an idiot.

I suppose the big difference is that Neville is talking from experience, whereas you're talking from fantasy.
  27. Oct 23, 2019

shamans Hoser

No I don't know either! That's the point. There's a reason top managers are so rare and worth millions. People like G neville just worry about defending his mates like Ole
  28. Oct 23, 2019

Or maybe he understands how a dressing room works, and is explaining it to viewers who don't.

Then those viewers disagree with him, based on their own lack of understanding and stubborness in listening to insider knowledge.

Neville might be wrong, but opinions can be that way. However, to call him an 'idiot' is really knee-jerk. Looking at it from a distance, a neutral party would guess this thread is probably a case of Dunning-Kruger.
  29. Oct 23, 2019

RMD83 Full Member

But was also criticised for defending Moyes, LVG and Jose who aren’t his mates.
  30. Oct 23, 2019

That doesn't fit in with the conspiracy theory.

Nor do all the videos showing that Neville definitely doesn't root against United.

Or the audio clips which demonstrate his that perceived bias is all in people's heads.
  31. Oct 23, 2019

RMD83 Full Member

I know. Scholes too negative, souness too biased, Neville too positive and not biased enough.

You would almost be forgiven for thinking you can’t win.
  32. Oct 23, 2019

shamans Hoser

The thing is he goes against his own advice at times. That's why I call him an idiot not because I disagree.

For instance, he was saying how he prides himself on never asking for a manager to get fired because it isn't his job. Well, is it your job to ask for players to be sold? Things like that make him an idiot.

Also, his opinion obviously matters a million times more than any other fans since he's on T.V and sort of the spokesperson for United fans. When that person, who represents you, is being so frustrating I'll call him an idiot.

Neville is a club legend and if I ever see him I will thank him if I can. I'll cheer his name if I ever see him play again. Heck, I even want his businesses to succeed.

I still think his football punditry skills are pretty idiotic. He obviously knows more than me or you or any of us on here combined but I have good reason to believe he cares more about creating a buzz/getting clicks than doing actual good punditry.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  33. Oct 30, 2019

M Bison Full Member

Supports:
    York City
    “Getting abused by a load of Chelsea fans in front who think it’s my fault” :lol: