Why has nothing happened yet? | Things are now happening

Amir

No its definitely not, but surely the manager deserves some part in bringing in players he wants. Especially if the person tasked with doing so is as incompetent as Woodward. I remember reading stories about ex players who said their decision to join United was based on a brief conversation or phonecall with Ferguson and not from someone just throwing numbers at them.
And then Fergie moved aside and let the money men do their thing.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He was a rubbish manager for us, playing rubbish football, making rubbish transfers, and ultimately achieving rubbish results.

If he performs worse than Mourinho over time then he will have to go, although that’s not setting the bar particularly high.
I have criticised Mou on numerous occasions. His transfers sucked, his moaning sucked, his ridiculous statements and criticism sucked. However he's a way better manager then Ole is and probably he'll ever be. However that's water under the bridge and we are where we are. If we want Ole to succeed then we need to provide him with help....loads of help

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
So if you believe what the papers say, United are desperately trying to sign “expert scouts” who can help sign world class talent from France and Spain.

I think as things stand it’s not out of order to say that United’s recruitment team are either out of their depth, seriously understaffed or being prevented from doing their jobs properly
I think the conclusion we can draw from this is the papers will exaggerate anything possible to sell their rags. We are advertising for two scouts and now we are 'desperate?' Being an expert in the field shouldn't be implied.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Was having a look at their jobs section of their website earlier, and right enough they are advertising for scouts to be based in spain & france. Along with a number of roles on the 'Emerging talent programme'

I read before somewhere aswell that we had more scouts that anyone else already.. what are they being paid for!?

https://www.manutd.com/en/Club/Jobs/Permanent-and-Temporary-Opportunities
Same here. Apparently we have a major scouting network.
If I were in charge, I'd not only fire the whole bunch of them, but I'd try and reclaim wages paid, for them being unfit for the roles they were employed for. When was the last time we uncovered a gem (ie. for relatively low value, but he turned out to be good enough to play in our starting XI)?
For me, a lot of the posters on this forum seem to be able to make better judgements on players than our (paid) scouts.
But, it's not just the scouts who are under-performing. The players, the managers (who we hired), coaches, physios, DoF - every single one of these people are under-performing and it baffles me how this could be possible. Even De Gea - the one guy who is rock solid reliable - had a poor season.

Dr Fink

Original poster here, jut thought I'd mention that since I started this thread, stuff has actually happened: Daniel James and Aaron Wan Bissaka. Still, it is progress. The rumours persist regarding Longstaff (BBC) and Fernandes (Talksport). Nobody has left though...........which concerns me most in a bizarre way, as we as fans are normally more interested in the new signings. Strange, but I guess it goes with the state of the club.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
All that talk about surviving of the fittest was just that, talk for the fans and we all bought it since it's Ole- fan favorite.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Well. getting rid of players is not that easy as long as they got a contract and a high salary.. and at the same time players that has been injured and not played that well.. and the transfer window is open for a long while still..

Maybe take a chill pill and wait and see how it looks when the transfer window ends on the 8th of august ;) Ole can not force agreements with other clubs if the club does not want to sell cheap or the players do not accept smaller salaries.

sp_107

I have a feeling we will announce another 4/5 signings in next 7-10 days as it appears there is lot of ground work being done in last few days as per papers.

Bruno & Sean Longstaff are easy ones and then atleast 2 more signings for the following positions.

CD
RW
ST

Jonno

We've bought 2 players in June
Likely 2 in July
Hopefully 1-2 in August.

Say what you like about Woody, but he is listening to what Ole wants.

I'm still not quite convinced that Ole will lead us to a Premier League title in the next 5 years, but I'm actually quite content watching him build an exciting young team. Even if in 1-2 years a world class manager takes over, at least Ole will give them the platform they need to re-build on.

Jibbs

Because the board does not want anything to happen... we will only get one more signing in Longstaff and that's about it... no CB or CM or RW is coming unless we are able to sell Pogba and Lukaku.

Jeffthered

I'm actually quite staggered that the Board and Ole' think that recent renewal of contracts (including those given out towards the end of last season...), the signings of AWB and James, and NO ONE leaving the club, makes for a promising new season.

It 'feels' disaapointing, so I am sure the players must feel that. There is no clarion call... no statement of the positive... nothing at all. It is really sad, although I am sure they keep a tab on the number of season ticket sales.

romufc

I have a feeling we will announce another 4/5 signings in next 7-10 days as it appears there is lot of ground work being done in last few days as per papers.

Bruno & Sean Longstaff are easy ones and then atleast 2 more signings for the following positions.

CD
RW
ST

I love the optimism. Reality needs to kick in though, look how long it took to get Daniel James and AWB done with no other clubs interested. How you think Ed has the capability of completing 3/4 in a week is beyond me.

VanGaalyTime

CD
RW
ST
I agree. I'm confident we've actually already got Longstaff and are just waiting to announce a deal to give him/Newcastle some time. Bruno in and Pogba out wouldn't be my ideal situation but looks like it's happening either way. Then we'd need a right wing and a central defender. In defence, I can see us go for experience outside the Premier League, someone we haven't previously been linked with. PSG need capital to keep Neymar - Marquinhos to United? Pipe dream obviously, but it'll be something out of nowhere when we get a central defender. Rumours are that we've gone in strong for Pepe at Lille, and that's a fecking fantastic idea. He'd suit the PL and United perfectly.

DoomSlayer

I'm actually quite staggered that the Board and Ole' think that recent renewal of contracts (including those given out towards the end of last season...), the signings of AWB and James, and NO ONE leaving the club, makes for a promising new season.

It 'feels' disaapointing, so I am sure the players must feel that. There is no clarion call... no statement of the positive... nothing at all. It is really sad, although I am sure they keep a tab on the number of season ticket sales.
I've been saying this in multiple other threads. Unless we sell players, only a new CM may be purchased due to the departure of Herrera.

Although I wouldn't put the blame on Ole for the contract renewals, apart from Young's who seems to be needed solely for experience and being a senior player in the dressing room.

The likes of Rojo, Jones, Darmian, Sanchez and Matic should have been swiftly sold but there seems to be 0 indication of that happening. There are also big question marks over Bailly, Fred, Lingard and even Lukaku (due to his behaviour throughout last season after Solskjaer made it known he won't be an undisputed starter).

It's all the board's fault for lacking a proper footballing strategy in building an adequate structure at the club that would ensure having a long-term vision of what United should be all about.

minh_loc_xoay

CD
RW
ST
I'd like to have your positivity and whatever you are smoking, please. :D

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I've been saying this in multiple other threads. Unless we sell players, only a new CM may be purchased due to the departure of Herrera.

Although I wouldn't put the blame on Ole for the contract renewals, apart from Young's who seems to be needed solely for experience and being a senior player in the dressing room.

The likes of Rojo, Jones, Darmian, Sanchez and Matic should have been swiftly sold but there seems to be 0 indication of that happening. There are also big question marks over Bailly, Fred, Lingard and even Lukaku (due to his behaviour throughout last season after Solskjaer made it known he won't be an undisputed starter).

It's all the board's fault for lacking a proper footballing strategy in building an adequate structure at the club that would ensure having a long-term vision of what United should be all about.
Very much so.
To me, the most disappointing thing so far is not the transfer situation but the apparent complete lack of progress on the structural changes we require in order to compete.
I get the feeling that we will have to endure more of the same.
Keep doing the same thing.
Keep getting the same outcome.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Well. getting rid of players is not that easy as long as they got a contract and a high salary.. and at the same time players that has been injured and not played that well.. and the transfer window is open for a long while still..
Here's a simple solution which worked for MCFC.
Stop renewing the contracts of players who are dire and if nobody comes into buy the player, let his contact expire, so he can be a free agent. You can't possibly tell me that P.Jones is ever going to get another club to pay money for him.

Renewing contracts of players who are proven to be failures at our club is ludicrous.

Last edited:

Grande

CD
RW
ST
I’ll be surprised if we don’t get 3-4 more players. I’m guessing many here will be disappointed with the 3-4 we will get (if we do). I’m not so surprised we haven’t offloaded more players early on, nor that we have renewed with quite a few. Unlike some, I don’t think having Jones, Young and Mata in the squad is what holds us back. I think they are important though not sufficient in order to win the culture of the dressing room, and they are in fact not too shoddy back up options.

I think who we let go will have to depend somewhat on who we get in (and who we can’t keep). We have many players in midfield with partly overlapping qualities (Matic, McTominay, Fred, Pereira, Pogba). None of them are useless, none of them are indispensible (to put it mildly). If we get an established holding DM, we will have little use for Matic, if we get a more inexperienced one (Rice or Longstaff?), having Matic makes sense. If we get someone in the ilk of Fernandes, Pereira can go, if not, he’s a decent squad option to have. (Can develop, United-lad, packs a good shot). With players like Fred and Pereira, it also depends a lot about the potential Solskjær sees in them off the pitch and in training wether we will keep them or not.

In attack, much probably depends on wether we can offload Lukaku for a sufficient prise, unless we have one attacking superstar we are dead set on bringing in no matter what. I’m guessing not, but what do I know?

Edy2

Hi all, long time admirer of the forum but I forgot I had an account so not posted for years.

I for one think it's a very promising and exciting policy we are pursuing this summer in terms of recruitment. I am looking forward to see the team we end up with come August as you all are I think.

I read this forum regularly and have been seeing a lot of frustration in posts regarding the seeming inability or refusal on the part of the club to get rid of some players that are past their best. While this is understandable the reasons are fairly clear to me. It's been pointed out many times on here though that they are overpaid at United and so their desired wages would be prohibitive to many clubs. Another factor I think will come into play is the club don't want to tell the player/agent point blank to find a new club in case there are no takers resulting in even more dressing room disaffection next season which is the last thing that's needed. Moving these players on will take time and effort.

I am sure OGS knows which players he wants and which need to phased out but it will take time to complete this transition.

Red Devil's Advocate

Hi all, long time admirer of the forum but I forgot I had an account so not posted for years.

I for one think it's a very promising and exciting policy we are pursuing this summer in terms of recruitment. I am looking forward to see the team we end up with come August as you all are I think.

I read this forum regularly and have been seeing a lot of frustration in posts regarding the seeming inability or refusal on the part of the club to get rid of some players that are past their best. While this is understandable the reasons are fairly clear to me. It's been pointed out many times on here though that they are overpaid at United and so their desired wages would be prohibitive to many clubs. Another factor I think will come into play is the club don't want to tell the player/agent point blank to find a new club in case there are no takers resulting in even more dressing room disaffection next season which is the last thing that's needed. Moving these players on will take time and effort.

I am sure OGS knows which players he wants and which need to phased out but it will take time to complete this transition.
+1

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

CD
RW
ST
Not happening we may get a CM and or a CB but that'll be it unless we sell Pogba and Lukaku

Maticmaker

I suspect its as difficult to get rid of players who are still 'in contract' and don't want to go, as it is to hold on to those who want to leave?
City seem to have this as means of moving players on, i.e. letting contracts expire, the problem is you need to ensure those hanging on aren't in a position to 'poison the well' by moaning and mopping about and dragging their heels in training sessions

diarm

I suspect its as difficult to get rid of players who are still 'in contract' and don't want to go, as it is to hold on to those who want to leave?
City seem to have this as means of moving players on, i.e. letting contracts expire, the problem is you need to ensure those hanging on aren't in a position to 'poison the well' by moaning and mopping about and dragging their heels in training sessions
I'm by no means an expert, but I suspect the trick might be not giving players like Young, Jones, Smalling and Mata new contracts they don't deserve.

ryansgirl

True about the contracts but look at it another way - the commitment to youth that some posters on the caf are already dismissing looks to be underway.

If Ole can pull this off and create a squad that emphasizes youth and commitment to the club instead of big names that demand disproportionate money, two of whom like Wan-Bissaka and Marcus R are definitely capable of reaching a high level in the future especially as they have already played for England, and in James' case could very well turn out to be the shot in the arm we need, then keeping the older players around will ensure a smoother transition for the youth that we hope will play a vital role in Manchester United's revival.

I think that's why we have kept Mata, Jones, Young and Smalling. You need old heads around and regardless of the negativity towards them on here, those players do not have bad attitudes. In a leadership vacuum, they can still play a role in providing that experience.

I think Ole's plan is becoming clearer - and if we can grab Fernandes and keep Pogba, as well as recruit at least two more players who have the potential and commitment to be equal to the re-build, I think there is cause for some optimism. If Fernandes can be signed that is also one way we could keep Pogba - Fernandes is young but is just the kind of player that United needs and the signing that shows Pogba we want European talent at this club.

Camilo

This feels like the first summer in forever where we're clearly a couple of rungs lower on the transfer ladder than the big boys.

We've been banging on for years about how much money we make, but I kind of get the feeling that doesn't matter now - players don't want to come to a dying club like United.

But things are happening, and the proposed signings are more local and potentially driven. Quietly content with the rumours.... They just need to happen.

Jezpeza

My major concern is: why are the deadwood still here? Theyll be back for pre season soon. Dont want them anywhere near the place tbh. I’d like to see a few more signings and youth players coming into the setup and at least bring some effort, desire and intensity to the place, even if we arent challenging for the title next season.

It doesnt sit right with me that if they come in they are surrounded by consistent fails like rojo, jones, darmian and geriatrics like sanchez

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Just to be clear with the people complaining about 'nothing's happened'.

We are the top spending club in the premier league so far this transfer window?
We are the only club in the top six to have actually signed a player?

Cathy Ferguson

Just to be clear with the people complaining about 'nothing's happened'.

We are the top spending club in the premier league so far this transfer window?
We are the only club in the top six to have actually signed a player?
I am happy with James and AWB, but I think a lot of fans expected more urgency considering us finishing 30 points behind our main rivals. Look at Real for instance.

Patrick08

All that talk about surviving of the fittest was just that, talk for the fans and we all bought it since it's Ole- fan favorite.
Woodward can give massive contracts to deadwood all he wants, I doubt they will play.

Oldyella

Woodward can give massive contracts to deadwood all he wants, I doubt they will play.
That leaves a bloated squad though. And deadwood is hardly great to have around the training pitches, especially if they know they arent going to be getting games. Jones, Young, Mata could all have been moved on and their spaces taken up by the youth coming through.

Patrick08

Jones, Young, Mata could all have been moved on and their spaces taken up by the youth coming through.
Much have been made of young extension, he has been replaced so it doesn't hurt anyone now that he has been extended I doubt anyone exists in the Academy who could have replaced him. Jones mata matic I agree are deadwood and should have been sold or let go which adds to bloated squad for the Epl, but not in case of Europa league or cup matches, they could all play a part in cup matches. Getting all the young ones to replace them is not realistic, if they had to be offloaded them their replacements had to be signed.