Why so many knee-jerk reactions and negativity one game in?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
For me, today's game is big kick
Why is there is so much negativity and pessimism on the forum after 1 game under ETH's tenure? :wenger:

Like it's almost as if you'd think we're in a relegation battle, even after finishing 2nd 2 years ago, and yes I've heard all the excuses as to why we finished 2nd and why it was nothing to do with Ole or the players and in fact more to do with the teams around us.

I mean we deserve some credit, we can't make up excuses for every single positive thing that United do. Anyway, there seems to be a lot of talk and dislike towards the new manager. Now more than ever it seems as I'm perplexed as to why? Why now of all times, why right this moment?

He was lauded as the saviour of Man Utd 8 weeks ago and now he's a fraud.

We're not in free fall by any means and yet the feeling around the fans on here anyway is that we're in some sort of disaster mode.

The season has just literally just begun and I'll say it again, people are getting really upset to the point where from the outside looking in, looking at people's reactions, it seems as though we're flirting with the bottom 3.

EDIT -

There was a rick-roll video here, as kind of a nod to the previous thread. As this thread is a literal copy and paste from my original thread last year, with some tweaks to bring it up to date. Wanted to have some fun but got a telling off from the mods for posting a Rick Roll video :( So this thread isn't even me being serious.
For me this was huge huge kick in the face regarding reality and i must say that i am now, for the first time ever regarding United, really worried. This is why;

1) I always thought that we only need "two or three players" to compete for title. Well, now i realised that i was deluded. I rated Rashford, Martial, Shaw, Bruno a lot. But they are not good enough. When you add McFred, Dalot and Maguire to them and Ronaldo who wants to leave.....we need whole new team ffs.
2) Mctominay and Maguire (our worst players last year) are still starting games which means that ETH believes in them.
3) Our transfer business is still awful. Glazers don't want to spend and we have DoF who is completely out of depth. Which means that we are fecked in future too
4) Can't see us catching 4th spot this year. Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea are way above us

I am not negative, i am 100% depressed. Our club is still in the mess. Huge mess. One year without CL will hit us deeply.

peridigm

Normally we see the "start the youth" shouts near the end of the season when there is nothing left to play for. We're seeing it for the 2nd match of the season.
You be the judge.

SambaBoy

It's the whole business around the summer window that has led to the negativity.

Everyone in the whole world could see that United needed a re-build. As soon as Rangnick came in and started performing poorly, everyone accepted that it would be a big summer of change. Scouts could build up their list of targets that should have been worked on in the years prior and then made a list of 5-10 targets in each position identified. We got rid of the players that needed moved on. Pogba, Lingard, Matic, Cavani and Mata all moved on - freeing much needed wages and squad space.

RR talked about needing upto 10 players with 6-8 a minimum. Most of our rivals strengthened earlier from a much stronger position of strength whilst we didn't act at all. We signed a LB who was clearly identified by the manager and a CB which took many months to get finalised who was clearly the managers target, struggled to get a free transfer who's only other option was Brentford over the line. Both missed the pre-season tour. It's staggering how indecisive we have been this window - it's actually beyond belief. We need a striker - go for number one on the list Haaland. Okay we've established he's more interested in City and he's going there. No2 on the list - Darwin Nunez - he wants CL football and prefers Liverpool. Ok who's next on the list. The fact it's got to the stage after we have been beat to Brighton on the first day of the season to go ok we don't actually have a striker in mind - let's get Arnautovic as it'll be an easy signing - it's horrendous planning. I could go on but ultimately ETH has been left a woeful squad and the board haven't helped him at all.

To be honest, ETH probably doesn't trust the structure behind him. If we had identified AWB as the best RB out of 804 targets, he's probably taken a look at that and thinks I can't trust these guys if that's the conclusion they've come too and spent £50m on it. He's probably went for his targets that he knows and until the right people are in place he will back his judgement in the market. Obviously we've shaken up the structure this window but it's probably need some time to identify the targets needed as it's starting afresh.

Giggsy13

Why is there is so much negativity and pessimism on the forum after 1 game under ETH's tenure? :wenger:

Like it's almost as if you'd think we're in a relegation battle, even after finishing 2nd 2 years ago, and yes I've heard all the excuses as to why we finished 2nd and why it was nothing to do with Ole or the players and in fact more to do with the teams around us.

I mean we deserve some credit, we can't make up excuses for every single positive thing that United do. Anyway, there seems to be a lot of talk and dislike towards the new manager. Now more than ever it seems as I'm perplexed as to why? Why now of all times, why right this moment?

We're not in free fall by any means and yet the feeling around the fans on here anyway is that we're in some sort of disaster mode.

The season has just literally just begun and I'll say it again, people are getting really upset to the point where from the outside looking in, looking at people's reactions, it seems as though we're flirting with the bottom 3.

EDIT -

There was a rick-roll video here, as kind of a nod to the previous thread. As this thread is a literal copy and paste from my original thread last year, with some tweaks to bring it up to date. Wanted to have some fun but got a telling off from the mods for posting a Rick Roll video :( So this thread isn't even me being serious.
ten Hag isn’t a fraud. The club and the people running the club have been frauds and continue to have that label until things get better. How can you trust the rebuilding of this club to people who have no history of doing it successfully? It seems you have a completely different read of the climate on the cafe. The hate is primarily directed at the club NOT ten Hag.

In other posts you have suggested we must make the right signing. Of course that’s fecking obvious. But why must we wait for the perfect signing. Liverpool’s first few windows included the signings of Salah, Mane, Robertson and Wijnaldum, which were roundly mocked around these parts. The club found targets that suited Klopp’s style and they weren’t the glamour signings that you think everyone wants.

ETH is a fine manager but can you say that he had the backing needed or a club structure that could find him other targets suited for his style of play? The core problem remains the club and its structure and its on display. The fact we are only targeting one midfielder and have done so by risking the start of the season is absolutely shambolic. We need to make off the radar signings and trust the manager can make them better.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
1 game in. :lol: :lol:

Apparently the previous 10 years never happened.

You never get tired of these threads firing back at you, right ?
Please for the love of god, READ the whole fecking post.

It's a joke. I'm not being serious. I'm taking the literal PISS OUT OF MYSELF.

The thread is a LITERAL COPY AND PASTE.

I'm not being serious. I'm joking. I'm not being serious. I don't believe what I have written.

el3mel

Please for the love of god, READ the whole fecking post.

It's a joke. I'm not being serious. I'm taking the literal PISS OUT OF MYSELF.

The thread is a LITERAL COPY AND PASTE.

I'm not being serious. I'm joking. I'm not being serious. I don't believe what I have written.
Good for you.

tbtt

WUM
What if Brighton this year would be a top 4 side or even another Leiceter? I will wait until I watch at least 5 matches.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions

EDIT -

Agreed. We are going to have to battle and grind our way out of this hole. The toxic negativity does nothing to help. The pants pissers need a collective diaper.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Losing the first game at home to a mid table team is just such a downer.

I dare say a lot of us knew we were coming in severely undercooked for every reason.
Martinez and Eriksen only being with us a couple of weeks.
Martial out, who was central to our "new" style in pre season.
Ronaldo half fit.
The De Jong seemingly hapless pursuit.

Playing Fred as the deepest player and McTom in some bizarre almost attacking mid role was a bizarre combo.
The only time the pair of these guys ever works is a sort of 2 for 1 double up block.

We need to hit back immediately in the next game, or we could easily be looking at a triple defeat start and really playing catch up to even get into the top 6.
Don't want to be too alarmist as we're all a little down, but that first half was dreadful.

Ekeke

EDIT -

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Because we were shite, particularly in the first half.A side disjointed with zero organisation when put under pressure. It improved in the second half when the McFred clownshow was benched.

city-puma

The players have given up, I don’t see why they should be supported anymore. You simply can’t play that badly for Manchester United and still be around seasons later, it’s fecking insane
The players don’t give up. It’s actually you give up, no?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I missed the match, and I feel like this will be a tough week. Just negativity everywhere.

I was the officer of negativity especially last season since the EL final up until Ole's sacking. Criticising the posters that kept going on about the negativity, now the tables have turned.

Please let's not turn on Ten Hag after one game, come on guys. We can't be miserable the entire season.

CM

Because it's not knee jerk, or even close to being knee jerk anymore. We're a decade into fecking about with different managers and we've consistently had the same problems with recruitment, and consequently we're paying for that on the pitch.

There were at least 4 players today who shouldn't be starting for Manchester United, certainly not for our strongest team. Yet here we are, on opening day, playing a number of them who have proven themselves not to be good enough for a number of seasons and/or under several managers. We didn't even have the option of starting a senior striker without hugely undermining the manager. It's a complete joke.

We've finally got a coach who many of us believe might actually be able to bring the club back to a somewhat respectable level, yet he hasn't even had the opportunity to spend some money on a midfielder or a forward. Even Arsenal have woken up and given their manager what he wants to try and build something, we are falling so far behind the rest of the pack.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Some of the posters on here sound like entitled brats. You’re embarrassing and a product of years of success. It’s the first game under a new manager who is trying to create a new way of playing with a mismatch of a squad.

ETH needs time and support otherwise we’ll be in a worse position than we’re now.

redflash

I always thought we had the best fans in the world. Hugely biased obviously but I believed we had better fans. I've been going to OT for over 20 years and we were always behind the team even when they were bad.

Now it's just toxic, I'm not blaming anyone in particular but we've gotten horrible. I get we're dissapointed with today and more so the way club has gone over last few years but the one place which was always supportive was OT....sadly that seems to have gone too.

It's going to be a tough few years ahead.

RedAlert27

I don't think many logical fans are slating ETH just yet, only the blind fools. I think most of the infuriation comes from the failure to sign at least 1 decent central midfielder who can actually win the ball and pass and show at least an ounce of authority in midfield. It has been evident for too long that McTominay and Fred are not of the required standard. Realistically we need 4 new central midfielders to be even close to competing for silverware. I think the negativity is justified at the moment. It's clear that several of these players just aren't improving no matter the manager. I don't understand your need to mention we finished 2nd two years ago? Is that an accomplishment?

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I think it’s fair to have serious concerns if you recognize what you’re seeing and you don’t like it.

I was watching the Chelsea game, and, while I’m glad we won, it STILL looks like we can’t score goals. I mean, it looks like we have a team dedicated to stopping people, collecting the ball, and placing it back on the opponents 18 yard line so they can try again.

It’s not knee jerk to worry about it, because it’s not a new issue.

United fans probably feel the same way.

ObscureBaguette

9 seasons of shit transfers is why we are here sadly.
Maguire 75ml
AWB 50ml
Sancho 75ml
Pogba 90ml
Doh maria 60ml
Micky T 30ml
DVB 40ml
Fellani 28ml
Bailey 30ml
martial 56ml
That’s half a billion of players not counting Lakaku, Phil jones, telles and anyone else I’ve forgotten. The clubs been run incredibly badly, too many changes of direction have left us with a collection of odds and sods that ETH now has to try and mould a team from. In order to compete in the toughest league in Europe. If he can get 4-7 position this year he’s had a stormer.
Utd are a feckin mess and it’ll take 2 -3 years to challenge if everything goes well.
That’s why I’m so. Fecking negative.
Don't forget the insane wages we spaffed all over Alexis Sanchez for no obvious reason.

el3mel

Some of the posters on here sound like entitled brats. You’re embarrassing and a product of years of success. It’s the first game under a new manager who is trying to create a new way of playing with a mismatch of a squad.

ETH needs time and support otherwise we’ll be in a worse position than we’re now.
We have been hearing this "entitled" nonsense for 10 freaking years. You'll bet these lame, repetitive posts would have stopped by now.

If we were at one point entitled or used to success, that surely died a long time ago. We have been watching the team consistently being shit for an entire decade.

Hackman2210

Don't forget the insane wages we spaffed all over Alexis Sanchez for no obvious reason.
Don’t that’s more depressing than my list!
clubs in the wilderness 3-5 year rebuild needed.
we waited 27 years for fergie to win us the title - hopefully it won’t take that many again.

jasT1981

Because its game 1 of a new season, and the players are playing like there is nothing to play for. Nothing has changed from the point we knew we couldn't get Champions League football last season, players still have no passion, energy or commitment and aren't afraid to show they don't care as they know nothing will happen to them.

talking robot

I missed the match, and I feel like this will be a tough week. Just negativity everywhere.

I was the officer of negativity especially last season since the EL final up until Ole's sacking. Criticising the posters that kept going on about the negativity, now the tables have turned.

Please let's not turn on Ten Hag after one game, come on guys. We can't be miserable the entire season.
No one is turning on Ten Hag. This is about the owner and directors not improving on a squad that is clearly not up to standard.

Todd

It's frustrating because it feels like a wasted summer, and that nobody learned anything from the embarrassment of last season.

Imagine how you would've felt back in May if someone had told you that McFred would still be starting in the midfield come the new season. And that our attack, which only produced 57 goals in the league that season, would begin the new season somehow having even fewer attacking options.

We're gonna be in this vicious cycle now where we desperately need to be back in CL regularly to attract world-class players, but we can't attract world-class players to get back to that level because we're not in CL.

De Jong doesn't want to come here because of no CL...we missed out on Haaland and Darwin, two young strikers who I can pretty much guarantee will be scoring goals agains us for years to come, because why in the world would they want to come to this mess when they can go to clubs that are going to win trophies every season.

croadyman

EDIT -

Because the same problems of last season haven't been addressed at all

saivet

Agreed that there has been an overreaction but it's not really that knee jerk as it's been building. Midfield has been a problem area for years, we lost Pogba and Matic yet out midfield is somehow worse than last year. To not sign FDJ is one thing but only Eriksen is criminal and as long as we continue to persist with McFred, unfortunately that holds us back a great deal.

DeGea’sFeet

EDIT -

Because

1) it’s clear we don’t have the players to suite the manager

2) we improved second half only after going long ball.

Foxbatt

It's idiotic to say that fans are turning on ETH. Fans are upset with the club. Everyone knows that we would get nowhere with McFred in midfield. Yes we didn't get any replacement. If we have a good DOF he would have told ETH we need to get another player (s)to replace McFred. Yet we still have not done.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I always thought we had the best fans in the world. Hugely biased obviously but I believed we had better fans. I've been going to OT for over 20 years and we were always behind the team even when they were bad.

Now it's just toxic, I'm not blaming anyone in particular but we've gotten horrible. I get we're dissapointed with today and more so the way club has gone over last few years but the one place which was always supportive was OT....sadly that seems to have gone too.

It's going to be a tough few years ahead.
It’s taken far too long for the stadium to not accept any of this absolute garbage. This fan base has been far too patient. Zero standards. This manager obviously deserves a fair go and none of the heat is on him. It’s all on the players and higher up.

Oranges038

Same players.
New manager.
Same serving of shite.

Sometimes it really is just the players.

ETH needs time to get rid of and replace about 8 or 9 of that starting 11.

Jezpeza

EDIT -

It’s quite straightforward. A lot of the players that probably shouldnt be in the starting 11 anymore - dalot, maguire, shaw, fred, mctominay, rashford formed the backbone of the team. They reverted to type. Our ‘play it out from the back’ reverted to Maguire taking 46 mini touches forward before shitting his pants and playing back to De Gea who was pressed into smashing it long for false 9 Eriksen to try and win against t rex dunk.

Todays performance was absolutely no different to last season. Ten Hag needs time but wont get it because at the rate we recruit it will take him 3 seasons just to get a starting 11 of players who can implement his football. He should have kicked Arnolds and Murtoughs door off its hinges for a new midfield but we saw the same old Ole bollocks last week ‘an addition would be nice but i’m happy with what we have’. Is he bollocks happy to have McFred in the centre of the park with the type of football he wants to play. It worries me theyve already mind bent him into saying that sort of bullshit in interviews.

Its not knee jerk to point out that the same smeg players are still doing the same shit and that its difficult to see todays side reaching the top 6. Its pretty obvious. And its all about recruitment, again. I’m tired of the narrative that other top teams have mediocre players whos coach makes them what they are.