Why so many knee-jerk reactions and negativity one game in?

Ceeps

Same aimless play on the pitch, same inactivity on the sidelines, it’s hard to be upbeat. Maybe things might improve but I’m struggling to see how with the squad we have, the budget and the likely incomings, but it’s especially hard to see with players that can’t play even play sympathetic let alone progressive ten yard passes to each other. All in, very sobering, this is going to be a tough year.

wolvored

I've said on othere threads I think that the first 7/8 games will be all over the place. Its a learning curve for TH as he has never managed at this standard (Premier league). He will learn fast any team on their day can be a match for 17 of the other teams.
Saying that we have virtually the same centre midfield playing and unless TH can do miracles this shitfest will happen again and again.
I hope he gives this futile chase for De Jong up and get a RB and 2 CM in, before its too late. A striker is also a must and if hes not backed, even when the tactics work, we havent got a 20+ goalscorer in the squad. Look at the couple of chances we had. A competant striker would have buried them.

Mr Smith

For me it's realising how poor some key members of the squad are, and knowing, particularly in midfield, that we won't improve unless we reinforce.

Redlyn

We have a bad squad. Midfield is woeful. One game in is irrelevant to these facts.

steffyr2

No one is turning on Ten Hag. This is about the owner and directors not improving on a squad that is clearly not up to standard.
To say this one more time -- I thought Ten Hag was controlling the player acquisition and, so the story goes, he was being very careful about who was selected. Hence De Jong or bust.
Are you saying that isn't true? Because if it's true, we've started the season abysmally short of players and that's due to our exciting new manager. Oscillating between blaming the owners when we lose vs lauding the manager when we win just isn't a good look.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Nothing knee-jerk about it. There'll be no surprises going down the road with the likes of Rashford, Shaw, Martial, Maguire, McT, etc. We've had more than enough time to assess most of these players and understand that they're nowhere near the standard required to keep up to pace in this demanding league. Today was a very typical performance.

Green_Red

The team selection today made me think they'd cancelled Rangnicks consultancy and brought Ole in instead.

DavelinaJolie

I think it may be time for a bit of a break from it all, the summer months with that De Jong and Ronaldo nonsense has been as tiring as last season was. Maybe a week off from the constant non-updates would be good.

patch1

Please,please,show me any positives in the last 5 years.Plenty of second rate players bought which seem incapable of passing a ball to one another.Midfield non existent.Defence more holes than a sieve.You reap what you sow.

Born2Lose

Because a lot of us saw this result coming, and it's very worrying that the new messiah we have as a manager didn't.

McTerminator

Give it another three months and we’ll have adopted the old City chant…

‘We lost last week and we lost today,
We lost at home and we lost away,
But we don’t give feck cos we’re all p*ssed up,
MUFC* OK’

Kearnkoff69

The fanbase has been conditioned to expect doom after the last few years. The first month was always going to be challenging, when you consider how our players have been demoralized and seemingly not been told to follow any strict tactical instructions for years. The success of a scheme depends on players executing instinctively instead of thinking about what they should be doing, and it was fairly obvious that at the first sign of pressure some of the squad would panic and revert to type. As soon as players start freelancing and acting outside the system, the entire thing breaks down (see the disjointed pressing for Brighton's second goal today).

The more time ETH has to drill the scheme in training and in game situations, the more comfortable players will be with it and the more players will react as opposed to overthinking or reverting prior tendencies. If we still look this disjointed in a month, I will be very worried that our squad is truly unsalvageable - but I am willing to give things time before passing initial judgment on this new era.

Seveneric

This is the best possible start for us.

Watch us sign FDJ and Antony by the end of the week.
I mean this is kind of nonsense? I get your point which is that the loss might drive the club to act. But the "best possible start" would have actually been a convincing win, not a loss at home because said loss might spur action to be taken

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
All of us knew the midfield needed to be fixed.
3 windows and nothing has been done so far.
Ok. FdJ May join.
But that is fading fast.
Now we are going for old men for the striker position.

Ronaldo wants out. He should not be here in the first place.

Whose fault is all this?

croadyman

All of us knew the midfield needed to be fixed.
3 windows and nothing has been done so far.
Ok. FdJ May join.
But that is fading fast.
Now we are going for old men for the striker position.

Ronaldo wants out. He should not be here in the first place.

Whose fault is all this?
Yankee leeches END OF STORY

KD6-3.7

One game into a season with the exact same players who've continued to show they aren't good enough.

One game against Brighton who played us off the park and us not showing a single positive sign is a very bad start.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I mean this is kind of nonsense? I get your point which is that the loss might drive the club to act. But the "best possible start" would have actually been a convincing win, not a loss at home because said loss might spur action to be taken
sometimes a loss can be a win

DickDastardly

Sooner or later, we would be found out.

Found out for our lack of midfielders, found out for our lack of cover in every position, whether it's wingbacks or midfielders, or Center forwards....

Even if we won today, may it have been a narrow undeserved or a comprehensive deserved win, sooner or later it would show.

I'm not saying we're title contenders, nor we would have been even if we strenghtened every position we have, i'm just saying this would have happened sooner or later.

I'm kinda glad it's sooner.

Still gives us time to at least try and strenghten our crucial dm and cmf positions.

And sooner means more time for Erik to implement these players.

Our two best players today both had their first official game for United today.
That alone shows how far our current set of players are behind the curve.

And the next game surely puts Malacia from the start and switches yet another poor player by the name of Luke we've been nursing for years...

And after that it's Scotts time....
Then it's time to say goodbye to Marcus...

You catch the drift.

The deadwood we shifted this year alone is just the start.

Just compare Klopps first team and the players they put out today and you'll see the pattern.

We just need to follow that same pattern.

The_Midfielder

Look at our recruitment.. Look at our starting players.. Look at the 37 year old star player who didn't show up for pre season and wants to leave....look at the lack of strikers.. We used to have 4 lethal ones in our hay days..
Look at the right back.. Who crosses like Bebe.. Look at our LM who forgot how to dribble/shoot

PoTMS

At least most of us won’t settle for mediocrity.
Do you not remember the overwhelming support shite like Ole and Rangnick had despite both being awful for us? The clubs supporters are full to the brim of top reds and and any 'doubters' are seen as moaning cry babies.

CarbonStoolBites

So let me get this straight, the consensus was that most were fully accepting of the fact that this is going to take several years, yet are already throwing their toys of the pram after 1 match?
You can’t make this shit up.
Enjoy the process, it was never going to be smooth sailing, we’ll win some, we’ll lose some, we might go on good runs, and hopefully we manage to strengthen the squad until transfer deadline day.

It is what it is, its not great by any means, the suits been messing up big for so long, I’m not even mad at the Glazers for not going on a transfer spree, if anything they wasted way too much money on bang average players since SAF retired, and damaged our utterly awful wage structure as a result.
I’m mad at them for their bizarre appointments, decision making and the lack of spending in the Fergie era.
But its somewhat understandable they don’t particularly want to fork out another Billion pounds.

The few things we have going for us is the academy is doing very well, best its been in decades probably, and I believe we’ve made an excellent appointment in ETH, but he isn’t a god, he needs time to rebuild the team, and implement his style.

Enjoy the ride, it will be bouncy.

Last edited:

RedDevil@84

Same OP. Same thread again. Nothing new here, except few posters on here who think of themselves as some kind of top reds which means mocking everyone who criticizes things at the club. Either they are actually blind to things or just on a wum. Similar posters can also be seen on transfer threads, like the FDJ one, mocking anyone who does not believe FDJ is sending daily texts to ETH confirming that he is coming. Head in the sand and all that.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
People are either naive in expecting an improvement so quickly or that their expectations have not matched reality. Lots of people were saying that they expect ETH's United to be in the top 4 this season. :rolleyes:

Knightmare7

Positively boggles the mind that someone can watch the last ten United seasons and make a post like this with a straight face

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I was labelled one of the "moaners" over the summer because I suggested the backroom changes wasn't good enough, relying on a manager to identify players when that's not his job - my gripe wasn't about lack of signings, I don't even care for big names, my gripe is the lack of intelligent buying, which means the a scouting department can only see what most fans see aka De Jong etc.

I was actually expecting a thundering start by the dross in our squad today as its all still fresh, then gradually decline as they remember they don't give a shite, yet amazingly they're not technically good enough to blitz anyone, which shouldn't have been surprising.

I think our new manager bounce happened during pre season, now they're back to their true level.

I'm disheartened to have to keep saying this, but our players are weak as piss, we used to laugh at Arsenal for their fragile players but our current ones don't hold a candle to that Arsenal team.

This is going to be a long road to recovery, ad with the current board, a road that will likely never end.

Ten Hag is a good coach, but he needs to understand the limitations of the players, it was his fault he started with the midfield that has caused many a manager to lose their jobs, of he isn't careful they'll be the same midfield that gets him the boot.

This post is all over the place, just like the club because there's so much wrong I don't even know where to begin.

Alonzo

Starts and ends with glazers. Every other debate is just rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.

Shiva87

New Manager. Reputation for no nonsense. Expectation of cutting out deadwood and taking no gash performances and leaving players on.

starts with McFred. Proven to be a partnership that’s doesn’t work. Bubble burst.
Another performance with no pride or effort. No change. Same old rubbish.

That’s why
It's his first game in charge of the club. What do you expect? If they are starting in midfield at the other side of the world cup, then you may be right

Unfortunately till then, he will have to keep trying to coach these players to perform better and keep bedding some youngsters in.

At least he is a winner. All i want now is for people to give him a chance. The pundits with OTT reactions to this loss need to calm down. Fans are also now buying into the media narrative. Those pundits have friends in the squad and it's in their interest to blame the manager.