Why so many knee-jerk reactions and negativity one game in?

iato89

Still having Mcfred, dalot and maguire in the starting line up is criminal. It is not jsut the manager but the whole system. If you fail to see this than I dont know. Those players should be released asap, they are no Man Utd level, not even mid table level.

Hackman2210

Sancho - £75million. How many times have we bought overpriced players from Dortmund. I mean FFS! Why cant we learn, Kagawa, MickyT and now Sancho. Im not sayng they are bad players but overpriced every time. Stirling was 56mil Prem proven and in his prime. Man Utd tax on a club that cant afford to pay it.

led_scholes

I hoped that last year will have shocked the board and a new era could begin. It's still early days, but as of now, the club cannot even provide a backup gk. As long as our goal is top 4, then nothing will change.

romufc

I hoped that last year will have shocked the board and a new era could begin. It's still early days, but as of now, the club cannot even provide a backup gk. As long as our goal is top 4, then nothing will change.
Top 4? I don't even think that is the goal anymore?

People think top4 is the goal are deluded. Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal have all shown ambition, we are going to be lucky to get top 6.

manichester

Groundhog day, lets see if this is a wake up call for some major changes. Somehow I think we have been here before.

Groundhog day, lets see if this is a wake up call for some major changes. Somehow I think we have been here before.

led_scholes

Top 4? I don't even think that is the goal anymore?

People think top4 is the goal are deluded. Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal have all shown ambition, we are going to be lucky to get top 6.
I meant it's the goal of the club. Not that we will achieve it. We don't seem to have changed our failed ways to alter our goal to win the league. We are miles away from winning the league but we are doing steps not towards that goal.

DiceRoller

9 of the starting XI yesterday were starting for us regularly last season.

As good as Ten Hag might be, nothing has really changed re: personnel. Terrible recruitment for years in plain sight.

A lot of passengers on show and many of them not good enough to take the club forward. Until that changes, expect the same.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Answer: because it isn't one game in. it's ben going on for months, possibly years

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I kind of see were the kneejerk is coming from.

going into 2nd game of season and its already a must win. Could you imagine if Brentford turn us over? (its actually quite easy to imagine)

Born2Lose

There was such an inevitability about the result that it really poses big questions about EtH already. Looking at the first five or six fixtures of the season I can't understand how someone as supposedly meticulous as EtH, didn't get it in his head that he needed to bring in some solid PL level players asap rather than pining all summer to be reunited with his man crush.

mikeyt

I don't think it's so much about knee-jerk. Any sane person would know it will take time for ETH to work his magic and get the team functioning in the way he wants them to.

The issue I have with yesterday was the same basic mistakes from the same players...McTom and Fred just so poor on the ball and positionally all over the place, Rashford's touch, decision making and lack of effort, Bruno's inability to keep the ball and create anything of worth, Dalot's horrific ability to defend and De Gea's constant mistakes.

These are issues that have plagued us for easily 18 months and yet they're still on the pitch and still doing the same things.

ETH has made one big mistake with the FDJ transfer and that may now cost us the season unless he and the board act quickly and ruthlessly in the coming three weeks and of course ETH can make al the pain go away if he gets the team playing the way we all hope he can but I've said it before, we cannot keep trying to polish turds, that are stinking up the place, they've got to be gotten rid.

I'd much rather see us try Garner, Hannibal, Garnacho, Iqbal etc be given a chance over these continued failures.

lex talionis

Frustration has been accumulating over the last decade. The defeat to a fairly average Brighton side taken in isolation is not that unusual, but it’s a defeat on the back of other dozens of defeats over the last few seasons that we’re sick and tired of being witness to.

The reaction to yesterday is understandable. I’m not sure what the author of the OP expects, but I would be disappointed if most of us were to accept this performance as the standard we should be satisfied with now.

Shark

@NotShark
There was such an inevitability about the result that it really poses big questions about EtH already. Looking at the first five or six fixtures of the season I can't understand how someone as supposedly meticulous as EtH, didn't get it in his head that he needed to bring in some solid PL level players asap rather than pining all summer to be reunited with his man crush.
If you don't see why by now you never will. The unpleasant club owner sat in the stands with a big grin on his face, along with his yes men on our board are the reason no manager worth his salt would dare go near us. We're a catastrophic mess no matter who sits in the hot seat and they'll all look as clueless as the last because of how the club is run.

Last edited:

manichester

They don't care about football as long as they take millions out of the club and they could still sell it for billions. Leeches.

FrenchRed

Einstein’s definition of insanity - do the same thing over and over and expect a different result.

While we still have the majority of the players we’ve seen fail for 4 or 5 seasons, I don’t see us getting better, regardless of coach.

This is why people are annoyed.

StuCol

Chimp
It's his first game in charge of the club. What do you expect? If they are starting in midfield at the other side of the world cup, then you may be right

Unfortunately till then, he will have to keep trying to coach these players to perform better and keep bedding some youngsters in.

At least he is a winner. All i want now is for people to give him a chance. The pundits with OTT reactions to this loss need to calm down. Fans are also now buying into the media narrative. Those pundits have friends in the squad and it's in their interest to blame the manager.
I had every faith in the world that ETH would come in and deal with poor attitudes. I was excited for the new season, despite the piss poor transfer activity. I was totally confident that he would not stand for the utter dross of McFred as our main midfield partnership. It’s been proven over and over again not to work.
We get to the first game where it matters and firstly it’s clear that the attitudes of the ‘players’ haven’t changed one iota. We are still watching the ghost of Rashford and a few others not fit to wear the shirt. And this supposedly strong willed new manager still started with McFred, who even people watching football for the very first time ever, can see is utter dog dirt.

So yes, the optimism I had for the new manager was burst by that absolutely unfathomable decision.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Still having Mcfred, dalot and maguire in the starting line up is criminal. It is not jsut the manager but the whole system. If you fail to see this than I dont know. Those players should be released asap, they are no Man Utd level, not even mid table level.
Yeah sure thats true but at least give the manager time to sort that out. We havent even completed his first transfer window, its going to take at least 3 to see us return to being top 4 consistently. Release them immediately and the squad becomes super thin and even more vulnerable to injuries etc.

RedDevilQuebecois

I'm not that worried. ETH is getting answers already. Now he needs to work on that.
I only hope that ETH will very quickly do the hatchet job upon those who are long overdue to being cut loose from the team's plans. Personally, I was very disappointed by his decision to send the kids out with virtually no time left to make any impression.

If ETH wants to send a clear message, those who follow his plan and the kids should get at least 10 minutes of action out there if they come off the bench. We will win with those guys down the road, not with the usual suspects.

wangyu

It is not one game in it is the 9th year running.
But let us not get dramatic yet, if people had any common sense they would know nothing much could have changed in a 2/3 month break with hardly any new additions to the squad. If Ten Hag is able to make the squad organized and each player 10 to 20% percent better then the mentality and team spirit will change and the results will get better. We have to give him that opportunity, just set your expectation aside, we should not aim for the top of the pyramid yet, let us just take the next step and then the next step and so on. Nobody ever got better by moaning.

The logic thing to do is to grant Ten Hag his contractual time unless something happens that turns everything into a toxic pile.(I'm looking at you Ronaldo, if you respect Man Utd and the fans you better play as if your life depends on it now)