Why so many knee-jerk reactions and negativity one game in?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
The negativity relates directly to the fact that the squad has not been improved to the level it should have.

The negativity relates to the fact that the poor sod of a manager is having to try and work with so many players that were absolutely diabolical last season and are quite obviously not good enough at this level.

After the appalling last season, the board and DOF should have been proactive and made sure that the squad was fixed for the new manager.

Garethw

OP do some fecking research. We are Manchester United FFS. This is a full blown crisis. Fans are understandably very very worried.

jesperjaap

Why do you consider reactions to be knee jerk?

There has been a lot of people acting positively about ETH and how he can improve the playing style and individual players and how several are ok to plug the gaps temporarily.

But look beyond that, I havent seen a single pundit tip our club for the top four or five even. And lots of United pundits and fans have said all summer, this side is an absoltue shambles and up to 15 should be leaving and 7 or 8 in.

The top five clubs have four world class managers who have won major trophies, many in multiple leagues. How some think Ten Hag who is less experienced can come in and compete with that with a weaker squad is madness.

Today wasnt a one off poor performances, it was a stark reminder that people can go on about the owners, go on about the managerment, go on about the coaching that has all been blamed in seasons gone by. The simple truth is this group of players is so so so weak in certain areas an dhas been for some time.

Yes the window hasnt closed, but do you think there will be four or five more incomings....as that is how short we are from finishing in the top four.

It is criminal that we have started this season with McFred as our first choic ecentral midfielders. Who in the top half of the table at any club is weaker on the ball or defensive intelligence wise....there really arent many, how people keep backignFred is beying me. He was ok further forward last season, int he pivot he is a complete liability. We have need rid of Pogba and required two central midfileders for about four seasons now....all we have signed is VDB who was always hugely over rated and not the type of players we needed.

There are problems in several areas of the pitch but our failure to sign one let alone two central midfielders so far this window let alone in seasons gone by, its genuinely ridiculous. Its mind bogglngly obvious to absolutely anybody watchign us play how weak we are there both with and without the ball. If Ten Hag fails to sign one before the window shuts, either the people above him are failing the club or I instantly doubt him. Any top manager should be addressing that area of the pitch.

The only thing to be positive about is a couple of our youngsters comign through, but even that is tempered when the best one we have had for a long time is sat behind the curtains playing fortnight awaiting police action.

studs

We are not hated adored and ignored anymore. We are laughed at.

Tyrion

Anyone who can't see that this mess is going to take time to clean up, is going to be prone to a-lot of gloom and negativity.
Exactly. Last year showed a lot of these players aren't good enough. Thinking it would immediately change is naive. The commentator and presenter on sky suggested it would change but they're basically overly dramatic idiots. We shouldn't be.

I'll judge ETH by what he does with the actual footballers we have which, unfortunately, excludes half our team.

Will Singh

McFred! It’s that simple, they are as much use as a chocolate teapot. If you’ve had a whole preseason and can’t work out they don’t work then it’s worrying. A club the size of United don’t throw all their eggs in one basket, we’ve got the whole world to find a CM but for some reason we only want De Jong who is unproven in the PL no matter how good he might be in the Spanish league.

Flexdegea

McFred! It’s that simple, they are as much use as a chocolate teapot. If you’ve had a whole preseason and can’t work out they don’t work then it’s worrying. A club the size of United don’t throw all their eggs in one basket, we’ve got the whole world to find a CM but for some reason we only want De Jong who is unproven in the PL no matter how good he might be in the Spanish league.

I'm convinced there was a lot of pitch politics on display today......................just my tin foil hat side coming to the front

Hackman2210

9 seasons of shit transfers is why we are here sadly.
Maguire 75ml
AWB 50ml
Sancho 75ml
Pogba 90ml
Doh maria 60ml
Micky T 30ml
DVB 40ml
Fellani 28ml
Bailey 30ml
martial 56ml
That’s half a billion of players not counting Lakaku, Phil jones, telles and anyone else I’ve forgotten. The clubs been run incredibly badly, too many changes of direction have left us with a collection of odds and sods that ETH now has to try and mould a team from. In order to compete in the toughest league in Europe. If he can get 4-7 position this year he’s had a stormer.
Utd are a feckin mess and it’ll take 2 -3 years to challenge if everything goes well.
That’s why I’m so. Fecking negative.

steffyr2

The negativity relates directly to the fact that the squad has not been improved to the level it should have.

The negativity relates to the fact that the poor sod of a manager is having to try and work with so many players that were absolutely diabolical last season and are quite obviously not good enough at this level.

After the appalling last season, the board and DOF should have been proactive and made sure that the squad was fixed for the new manager.
The story has been that the manager was picking and choosing his team. Are you saying that that wasn't true?
The club needs to get some transparency on top of all their other problems. They have this nasty habit of throwing people under the bus.

city-puma

It’s simple to explain the behavior of some here,
1. They underestimated how good Brighton is
2. They overestimated the progress our team has developed in one month
3. They just want to express their anger and frustration (rightly so in some sense due to the falling for so many years)
Not everyone prefer positive thinking. I think it is bad for them, but it’s their own choice.

Dominos

It's anything but knee-jerk.

The problem with today is it was so utterly predictable. Every United fan I've spoke to isn't really looking forward to the season and thought we'd get off to a disastrous start to the campaign. We've not actually improved the team in the summer. We've not addressed our weakest areas. The club have given us nothing to be optimistic about.

ShinjiNinja26

I was just listening to Moyes’s post match interview where he said he needs more bodies through the door and the teams getting stale. Does he still think he’s managing Manchester United?

OldSchoolManc

It was Brighton. It was a fresh start. Brighton smashed us 4-0 last season. We were at home. I have a million more reasons

cabbs1989

It’s a bad start but I never understand the rational people have that the glazers are hanging him out to dry, they are useless but surely they want united to be a success to make more money, so it doesn’t make sense why we are not spending money on the likes of sesko de Jong or antony, I mean I get they are money grabbing parasites though!

in regards for today it was such a change from pre season & how they Played, the atmosphere was so flat after10 minutes & it was the same mistakes from last season, I think next week you have to considering varane , hopefully martial is fit & you have to drop mctominay as well , I’m a optimistic United fan I mean I have to be as in on anti depressants that kinda mean I have to be positive , I just hope this pushes them in the direction of making the signings required just not arnautovic please

el3mel

1 game in. :lol: :lol:

Apparently the previous 10 years never happened.

You never get tired of these threads firing back at you, right ?

StuCol

Chimp
New Manager. Reputation for no nonsense. Expectation of cutting out deadwood and taking no gash performances and leaving players on.

starts with McFred. Proven to be a partnership that’s doesn’t work. Bubble burst.
Another performance with no pride or effort. No change. Same old rubbish.

That’s why

::sonny::

Why is there is so much negativity and pessimism on the forum after 1 game under ETH's tenure? :wenger:

Like it's almost as if you'd think we're in a relegation battle, even after finishing 2nd 2 years ago, and yes I've heard all the excuses as to why we finished 2nd and why it was nothing to do with Ole or the players and in fact more to do with the teams around us.

I mean we deserve some credit, we can't make up excuses for every single positive thing that United do. Anyway, there seems to be a lot of talk and dislike towards the new manager. Now more than ever it seems as I'm perplexed as to why? Why now of all times, why right this moment?

He was lauded as the saviour of Man Utd 8 weeks ago and now he's a fraud.

We're not in free fall by any means and yet the feeling around the fans on here anyway is that we're in some sort of disaster mode.

The season has just literally just begun and I'll say it again, people are getting really upset to the point where from the outside looking in, looking at people's reactions, it seems as though we're flirting with the bottom 3.

EDIT -

There was a rick-roll video here, as kind of a nod to the previous thread. As this thread is a literal copy and paste from my original thread last year, with some tweaks to bring it up to date. Wanted to have some fun but got a telling off from the mods for posting a Rick Roll video :( So this thread isn't even me being serious.
It’s not for the result, but because it has been a game already watched hundreds of times under van gaal, Mourinho, ole; a carbon copy of nullity already seen

MoskvaRed

Totally agree. It’s the failure to bring in enough new players in a timely fashion (again and despite the changes in the executive team) that is depressing. Until that is fixed, there’s not much ETH can do with players who have proved over a prolonged period that they are not good enough.

crossy1686

career ending
The players have given up, I don’t see why they should be supported anymore. You simply can’t play that badly for Manchester United and still be around seasons later, it’s fecking insane

Ahmer Baig

It's not a knee jerk reaction. We have been watching this mediocrity for last so many years and nothing has changed this year. Fans have had enough.

Chairman Steve

Let’s get all the bad stuff out in the open so we can fix it sooner. Some of these players need a rocket up the ass or face being shipped out.

Remember the Solskjaer days, getting bailed out by Bruno in deus ex machina style and all the complaints were silenced, and those who raised valid concerns were told to shut up and take their anti-Ole agenda elsewhere?

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Our midfield has been shocking and routinely walked through by opposing teams for years.

First game of the season and our, now even worse, midfield gets walked through.

I mean, come on, no one could've seen that coming!

Utuhu

The Glazers must be really proud of you dear.

sokol11

Some players on the field like Fred, McT and Dalot for example are not up to the standard. Our creative players (Bruno, Rashford, Sancho) not pulling their weight etc. The only "excuse" I could have for the team today was that Brighton of the face of it actually didn't play bad, good shape, closed up channels very good, competitive didn't give players an inch. I'm curious to see their results against other teams. Did United just make them look good or will they present hard nut to crack also for the other teams. Let's see.

BlueHaze

Nothing has changed about the club since Sir Alex left and neither have this forum. Same threads every season. Managers getting the sack, bullshit fraud owners who are completely inept and fans constantly arguing.

Stacks

This is the best possible start for us.

Watch us sign FDJ and Antony by the end of the week.
agreed. We need a humbling so mofos wake the feck up. A manager can only do so much with trash players. We lost Pogba and got who? We were shite with him but about 7 players have left this summer with minimal recruitment. We got a month still though. We have too much toxic positivity with people thinking "everything will be alright" and just ignoring how inept our first team squad is, seeing ETH as some miracle man but he even has it all to prove as I don't give a feck about a semi final CL appearance. I'm not panicking though. We got time

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It’s not just one game in. We had a terrible, terrible season in which we lost by a combined 9-0 to Liverpool, 6-1 to City, lost 4-0 to Brighton, lost 4-1 at Watford and got humiliated by many more teams. Everyone knew we barely had any players in our squad, especially midfield/attack who could take us to a higher level and I guess everyone was super excited that we finally got a young coach with good CV who seemed to play progressive football at Ajax and could improve us. Just not with this current group.

Then a Summer of non-activity followed where the only condition for players to joined seemed to have been being either former Ajax players or former Eredivisie players. As a result we basically did not address any of our main issues and have entered the season with the same exact clueless team. One could hope that they are suddenly going to find form, become good enough or something but truth is they aren’t, our ceiling is about 6th place and even there we have to be lucky to get there.

I guess everyone is just disappointed as seemingly we are going to have yet another season of excuses. We will probably get fleeced for 2-3 more former Ajax/Eredivisie players who will bring very little, still play McFred in majority of games, still rely on a soon to be 38-year old striker who doesn’t even want to be here to bring us points with moments of magic. When you turn on other games and look at how far ahead virtually all of our competitors are it is just sad state of things.

Garethw

Totally agree. It’s the failure to bring in enough new players in a timely fashion (again and despite the changes in the executive team) that is depressing. Until that is fixed, there’s not much ETH can do with players who have proved over a prolonged period that they are not good enough.
If it’s true that the players have taken a 25% wage reduction due to no CL, where has that money gone? That reduction probably wipes out the £60 million we’ve spent this summer.

This summer should have been about making a statement of intent. Fixing the squad and making sure that we are at least still challenging come Christmas.

Nobody expected a title win, but as things stand we’ll be lucky to finish top 6 with our midfield.

Zoo

Hope that this is the shock that everyone needs with time still left in the transfer window. Preseason means feck all. Chelsea had a rubbish one but got the result they needed whereas it was the opposite for us.

AndySmith1990

Hope that this is the shock that everyone needs with time still left in the transfer window. Preseason means feck all. Chelsea had a rubbish one but got the result they needed whereas it was the opposite for us.
It's been the same case in previous seasons. You'd think by now everyone would realise its a waste of time reading anything into preseason

NZT-One

This place is obsessed with negativity. FFS let people speak their minds. Over-the-top criticism will be seen as just exactly that, what are you afraid of, that our precious fan base gets tricked into being a mean place when it should be sweet and peachy?

It was the first game. Some of the decisions were discussionworthy. Some of the activities and preparations of the transfer window seem to be discussion worthy. So that is what is going to happen and there's nothing wrong with it. If factually wrong accusations will be put out, fight those on a rational level. Stop this negativity stuff - it doesn't help the debate when it is only there to enter the emotional side of the discussions.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
You must be joking? With McFred in midfield? And Rashford missing open chances as always?
What can you do other than support the team, there’s no point constantly crying online about it.