Gaming Wii-U

Kaos

Me too, though I nearly bought one again today.
Was in the same boat too :lol:

Went into GAME to convert LA Noire into store credit and had the little bugger taunting me on the shelves. Then I took one look at the games library and laughed off triumphantly.

Might be severely tempted when OoT gets released though :nervous:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Was in the same boat too :lol:

Went into GAME to convert LA Noire into store credit and had the little bugger taunting me on the shelves. Then I took one look at the games library and laughed off triumphantly.

Might be severely tempted when OoT gets released though :nervous:
That's exactly what tempted me, especially at £180.

Though if weaste is correct we might have to save our cash towards the £20,000odd cost of the Wii-U ;)

Kaos

Already got a mortgage appointment on Monday, car's already up on autotrader too.

And to think all this trouble just to play Wii games on an iPad.

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
The most significant thing I have found on price is that Nintendo told Wall Street it will be sold for a profit.

Kaos

The most significant thing I have found on price is that Nintendo told Wall Street it will be sold for a profit.
That's usually been the case with Nintendo consoles, I don't see them changing that strategy in the near future. They don't operate like Sony where they look to make a profit 400 years down the line by selling Area 51 cell technology and making a 300% loss on each unit.

Redlambs

That's because Nintendo are only really in the business of making games and machines, whereas both Sony and M$ obviously are based elsewhere.

That being considered, it's amazing Nintendo still slug it out and makes me wonder why fanboys would rather they failed.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
That's usually been the case with Nintendo consoles, I don't see them changing that strategy in the near future. They don't operate like Sony where they look to make a profit 400 years down the line by selling Area 51 cell technology and making a 300% loss on each unit.
Indeed it is, though considering a HD console capable of challenging Xbox 360 and PS3, plus a six inch touch screen wireless controller, plus a profit is going to make it expensive.

What is going for them is that the unit price for small lcd screens must be plummeting due to how many products now use them, though they will still make the console expensive relative to graphical capability.

The gamecube was a very capable console and that was £135 on release I recall so it can be done, though I'm expecting it to come in around £250 - £300 - I'd be very surprised indeed if it were less than that due to the cost of 3DS.

Redlambs

Indeed it is, though considering a HD console capable of challenging Xbox 360 and PS3, plus a six inch touch screen wireless controller, plus a profit is going to make it expensive.

What is going for them is that the unit price for small lcd screens must be plummeting due to how many products now use them, though they will still make the console expensive relative to graphical capability.

The gamecube was a very capable console and that was £135 on release I recall so it can be done, though I'm expecting it to come in around £250 - £300 - I'd be very surprised indeed if it were less than that due to the cost of 3DS.
It's a lot cheaper to produce 360/ps3 results nowadays than it was then obviously, but yeah the controller is going to cost. Around £300 and I won't mind too much, though I've a hunch it could be more.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
As I've said before I'm interested in the concept though the presentation was lacklustre, as soon as they start showing off first party titles at full performance then it'll be off to the races.

I'm not sure Mario will really suit high-end graphics though (Super Mario Movie The Game - no thanks) Zelda and Metroid undoubtedly will, though it is the likes of F-Zero and Star Fox from Nintendo I'm lookig forward to seeing.

I think sonic has real potential as well.

WeasteDevil

Try as you might, you just don't understand gamers do you :lol:
Well, not the sort that buy the Wii no. What you are talking about is like buying a PS3 for the HD God of War collection, or for a Final Fantasy VII remake or ICO and Shadow of the Colossus in HD. Existing owners of the PS3 systems are glad of them, but anyone buying a console for them is a little bit unhinged IMO. It's the same fecking game, you've already played it!

Redlambs

Well, not the sort that buy the Wii no. What you are talking about is like buying a PS3 for the HD God of War collection, or for a Final Fantasy VII remake or ICO and Shadow of the Colossus in HD. Existing owners of the PS3 systems are glad of them, but anyone buying a console for them is a little bit unhinged IMO. It's the same fecking game, you've already played it!
Exactly, you just don't understand gamers!

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
In order to have played Ocarina of Time when it was first released you would have to be 20 now at the least.

Redlambs

Do you know, I would have loved it if Sony had released the PS3 using a Cell as the GPU (no PPE), with each SPE having a GS attached to it. Imagine that!
Yep, people like you always look past the current into what they could have done. Absolutely nothing wrong with that of course, i have plenty of friends in the industry like that!

However designer/programmers like me just think "feck me, another Sony console with buckets of power but the programmers are going to all whinge about!" It's about effort (not to mention deadlines and budgets), and whilst personally I had no problem with either the PS1 or 2, you know how set in their ways programmers are, especially if they have only PC/M$ experience.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
But to not want to play it in 3d with a framerate that didn't take you about an hour to turn the screen, you just have to be insane!
Indeed, Nintendo have always done well out of re-releasing games onto handhelds - the first mario game on GBA was Super Mario 2, I bought Super Mario World for the GBA which I think is the pinnacle of 2D gaming, then DS launched with Super Mario 64 which sold something like 6 million copies.

Redlambs

Indeed, Nintendo have always done well out of re-releasing games onto handhelds - the first mario game on GBA was Super Mario 2, I bought Super Mario World for the GBA which I think is the pinnacle of 2D gaming, then DS launched with Super Mario 64 which sold something like 6 million copies.
That's because even Nintendo themselves can't outdo SMW or M64, though Yoshi's island and Sunshine/Galaxy were sterling efforts. So what better than smoother versions than the originals :D

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
That's because even Nintendo themselves can't outdo SMW or M64, though Yoshi's island and Sunshine/Galaxy were sterling efforts. So what better than smoother versions than the originals :D
Indeed, I wasn't fond of Super Mario Galaxy at all.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
I appreciated it, especially the usual attention to detail. However both were far too easy for me to really enjoy.

Sunshine was very underrated IMO though, although to be fair it did follow the greatest 3D platformer ever created.
I liked sunshine as well, it was pretty much a direct sequel.

WeasteDevil

Exactly, you just don't understand gamers!
I don't understand nutters, no! If I have a perfectly functional PS2, and want to play GOWII, why on earth would I spend 250 quid on a PS3 to play the remastered GOWII HD? GOWIII fine, not played that before, want to finish the series.

That aside, have you tried running Dolphin?

Redlambs

I don't understand nutters, no! If I have a perfectly functional PS2, and want to play GOWII, why on earth would I spend 250 quid on a PS3 to play the remastered GOWII HD? GOWIII fine, not played that before, want to finish the series.
A no would have done ;)

That aside, have you tried running Dolphin?
Actually I still haven't. Have you? Any good?

Untied

I think you are trying to make the 3DS sale figures fit your argument, as far as I am aware sales are around 5 million. 5 million sales in ten weeks, for a handheld, released at an awkard time of year at a high price point, with relatively poor battery performance and a lack of great games are far bigger reasons than any confusion over continuation.
Handheld gaming is transitioning to smartphones and iPod Touches.

Nintendo will never make a handheld console that sells as well as the DS.

Redlambs

I've had a mess with it, yes, and yes, it's worth trying.
I actually keep meaning to try some Wii homebrew, but it's time and effort I'm lacking right now. I might in the future though, since I'm interested in what I can come up with to utilise the Wiimote better than it has been so far...

Problem is with two young sons to deal with, I've gotten lazy. I still haven't even properly used the XNA yet! I need to get my head back on :(

WeasteDevil

You could be right, but I wouldn't be too sure.
As part of my company distributes and funds development for mobile phone games, it's something that always provides a confict on the SSM diagrams. The only reason that side of our company still exists is how the network operators still try to retain control over what can get onto the phones and how, but that's a losing battle. For example, for the most part, you go to these B2C websites to get your games (many people still do), you still get billed by the operator, who then pays the B2C that then pays the aggregator, that then pays the developer. iTunes and Google Market are all well and good, but the games just get lost in a vast swamp, and many operators lock the phones down such that it's difficult for joe public to do.

So, in the end, most people get games that are pushed by their operator or held by the B2Cs that put those adverts everywhere for games, ringtones, tits, etc. That's how we still exist on that side, pushing the operators to keep your games at the top of the list. The network operators always want their cut, be it though data or direct sales. They get rather upset when you can download a game over the web on your PC, transfer it to the phone, and then run it. It's a model that can't last though, it's not possible, so more and more games for mobiles will be stuffed full of adverts, use micro-transactions, or you'll get a little bit of game for 99p or even for free, and then you get raped by having to pay for DLC - even per level.

Sony and Nintendo don't work like that. It shall be interesting what the network operators think of Playstation Suite when all of those publishers unleash a massive library of PS1 games. Probably just stick a massive data tariff on PSN.

Redlambs

As part of my company distributes and funds development for mobile phone games, it's something that always provides a confict on the SSM diagrams. The only reason that side of our company still exists is how the network operators still try to retain control over what can get onto the phones and how, but that's a losing battle. For example, for the most part, you go to these B2C websites to get your games (many people still do), you still get billed by the operator, who then pays the B2C that then pays the aggregator, that then pays the developer. iTunes and Google Market are all well and good, but the games just get lost in a vast swamp, and many operators lock the phones down such that it's difficult for joe public to do.

So, in the end, most people get games that are pushed by their operator or held by the B2Cs that put those adverts everywhere for games, ringtones, tits, etc. That's how we still exist on that side, pushing the operators to keep your games at the top of the list. The network operators always want their cut, be it though data or direct sales. They get rather upset when you can download a game over the web on your PC, transfer it to the phone, and then run it. It's a model that can't last though, it's not possible, so more and more games for mobiles will be stuffed full of adverts, use micro-transactions, or you'll get a little bit of game for 99p or even for free, and then you get raped by having to pay for DLC - even per level.

Sony and Nintendo don't work like that. It shall be interesting what the network operators think of Playstation Suite when all of those publishers unleash a massive library of PS1 games. Probably just stick a massive data tariff on PSN.
Mobile gaming on phones is still very alien to me. Games like Angry birds are simplistic throwaway games that work. I've often thought about developing my own (god knows I've got enough ideas and some good artists to call upon), but like you say the market is so confused that I think it would be pointless.

I can't see it changing anytime soon though. For now, on a much simpler level, there's still easily enough pure gamers out there to want to own new Sony/nintendo hand helds and the Vita and 3DS won't be the last.