Gaming Wii-U

Cornell

Speaking as the store manager of an consumer electronics retailer here in Aus, what Weaste is saying regarding the 3DS is absolutely true. No one bar the niche market of tech savvy people know what the thing is about.

Sales of the DSiXL & the 3DS have been absolutely dire.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Speaking as the store manager of an consumer electronics retailer here in Aus, what Weaste is saying regarding the 3DS is absolutely true. No one bar the niche market of tech savvy people know what the thing is about.

Sales of the DSiXL & the 3DS have been absolutely dire.
That's true enough, but it's not the name that's the problem. The lack of games and any real direction at the moment is the chief cause of that. I get asked by people all the time whether they should get one or not, and I have to honestly tell people not to bother just yet.

OoT should help, but one great release every couple of months is no good. It reminds me of the N64!

Cornell

I don't think the name is particularly bad, it's just that Nintendo saturated the market with 4 different types of DS console, meaning the release of the 3DS was quite a non-event. Up to the date of the launch, the DS Lite, DSi & DSiXL were all readily available in Australia.

I found the name only confused and reinforced the feeling of unaware consumers that Nintendo were tacking 3D on an existing product to shift some units.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I don't think the name is particularly bad, it's just that Nintendo saturated the market with 4 different types of DS console, meaning the release of the 3DS was quite a non-event. Up to the date of the launch, the DS Lite, DSi & DSiXL were all readily available in Australia.

I found the name only confused and reinforced the feeling of unaware consumers that Nintendo were tacking 3D on an existing product to shift some units.
Exactly my point. There's no focus to the thing and as such, people are bound to just think it's just a DS with 3D and will only have the same games.

Hell even I don't own one yet, I can't remember the last time I didn't own a machine on the day of (or in some cases weeks in advance) launch.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Reggie: "Wii U more powerful than PS3/XBOX360"

VB: Have you made any comments about whether the performance will be better than the PS3 or the Xbox 360?

RF-A: Again, the point is not about a comparison versus our competitors. What we’ve said is it will be 1080p. Check the box on the best graphics capability.
It will have a robust online environment. Check the box. That will not be a disincentive for purchase.

The specifics of how we get there — we still have a number of months to share more and to show more.The reason we showed that visual demonstration with the bird in the garden is just to reinforce that the visual horsepower of this machine is there.
Interview: Nintendo president says Wii U is no iPad imitator | VentureBeat

Well that was pretty much expected but will it be powerful enough to compete with the next installments from Sony and Microsoft?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why for kids? Just because you don't go round shooting people all the time? :confused:
I mean, just look at the games!

Mario! Mario Kart! Tennis that looks like it's from Cartoon Network!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
On a sidenote, I loved Mario when I was a kid. Even Mario 64, which I thought was brilliant.

That wasn't a sidenote.

WeasteDevil

Interview: Nintendo president says Wii U is no iPad imitator | VentureBeat

Well that was pretty much expected but will it be powerful enough to compete with the next installments from Sony and Microsoft?
I'll raise you.

Digital Foundry vs. E3: Nintendo - Page 1 | DigitalFoundry | Eurogamer.net

We didn't get much of a taste of the console's visual capabilities either. In the initial introductory video, the only real semblance of an HD video game was a concept demo for the Legend of Zelda. In his excellent Wii U preview, Oli Welsh says it like it is:

"It's undeniably beautiful, although you can attribute this in part to Nintendo's exquisitely hand-crafted art assets," Welsh observes. "The lighting is excellent, with many changing sources and a few particle effects in evidence - but my untrained eyes saw nothing here that an Xbox 360 or PS3 couldn't do. Perhaps Digital Foundry will say different."

Or perhaps not. The Zelda demo, or "HD Experience" as Nintendo calls it, is almost certainly running at a native resolution of 720p, with no anti-aliasing and seems to be locked at 30 frames per second with v-sync engaged (subsequently verified with a good look at a 60Hz feed taken from G4's broadcast coverage of the event).

The lack of any kind of hardware AA, combined with the sheer amount of light sources might suggest that this is Nintendo's stab at producing a deferred lighting engine (particularly when factoring in the player-controlled time of day element), but on the other hand, the engineers may simply be showcasing the shading power of their new hardware.

As it is, much of the aliasing is obscured in a depth of field effect, with character shading being rather CG toon-like - similar to what Nintendo use on their Miis, but with better edge silhouette lighting to give it a kind of unearthly glow. The art style is certainly different to the run-of-the-mill Xbox 360 title, with a fast fall-off in lighting around an object: Link is bathed in shadow very quickly once he stops being directly lit.

It's a good demo, but as Oli says, it's very difficult to see this as anything other than affirmation that Nintendo's technical vision of the next generation is to effectively match the rendering performance of what's in the marketplace already. Once again, the platform holder is relying on ingenious controller-based concepts rather than cutting-edge tech.
The only other hint we received about the technical prowess of the Wii U came from the Japanese garden demo, which shows a bird taking flight, landing on a tree branch which blossoms into flower, before returning to the skies again, soaring over water, where the scenes shifts to a fish leaping out towards the camera.

The water effect is one of the most impressive elements of the demo. The surface looks similar to the tessellated fluid surfaces added to Unreal Engine 3 during the Gears of War 2 development work, with a pleasing 3D volume to the effect that's most especially noticeable when the fish is just above or below the water line.

In terms of how powerful Wii U actually is, aside from the occasional 1080p claim, Nintendo has made no effort to put any kind of distance between it and the current generation HD consoles, and it's fair to say that the demos back this up. There is still discussion amongst fans of an enthusiast-level gaming GPU in the machine, but the fact that the Wii U itself is quite small would present some serious heat dissipation issues - the pre-production units photographed at E3 certainly possess a lot more vents than the original Wii. Curiously, the diminutive form factor of the console itself tells us far more about the potential power of the machine than Nintendo's own spec sheet.

As it is, we now have direct confirmation that Wii U features a 45nm, power efficient, IBM multi-core processor based on POWER architecture, but almost nothing about the make-up of the Radeon GPU. Factoring in the lack of differentiation between Wii U and the current generation consoles, it's likely that Nintendo has put a great deal of investment into the controller and will be looking to make the base unit as cheap to produce as possible.

At this point we're speculating, but our guess is that Wii U's RAM is based on GDDR3 or DDR3 - far more cost efficient than the top-end GDDR5 and the hitherto non-existent DDR4. In terms of the make-up of AMD's custom Radeon GPU, we reckon it probably has more in common with the Radeon HD 4650/4670 as opposed to anything more exotic. The 320 stream processors on those chips would have more than enough power to support 360 and PS3 level visuals, especially in a closed-box system. Fabricated on AMD's current 40nm process, it would be cool enough and cheap enough, but the 2012 launch may well mean that Nintendo could move directly to 28nm, making for a more cost-efficient, cooler box.
The only real answer is that it's guessing, at the end of the day, we simply don't know!

Kaos

Well it supposedly can run full 1080p at 60fps, twice as much as the 360 and PS3. Thought I'm not sure if thats what they were hinting at.

WeasteDevil

Well it supposedly can run full 1080p at 60fps, twice as much as the 360 and PS3. Thought I'm not sure if thats what they were hinting at.
Under what circumstances? Wipeout HD runs at full 1080p 60fps for the most part in any case. 1080p is more than double 720p also, not 50%, and not many games for XB360 and PS3 run 720 @ a sustained 60fps, most struggle with 30, so 1080p @ 60fps is way more than 50%, it's closer to 350%. The thing is obviously going to also have to generate the 600p or whatever it is screen that gets beamed to the controller as well. 50% would put it in the bracket of being almost identical to the PS3/XB360 in terms of what it can put on screen and also be able to feed the controller.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
What would happen to Weaste if it really was more powerful and better in every way to the Ps3?

Would he just simply die? Or disintegrate/melt or what?

Plan M

There's the usual bunch in here already slating the new hardware when it hasn't even been released yet :lol:

If it had Microsoft or Sony's stamp however, you'd be wanking.

Only at the Caf...

Leg-End

What would happen to Weaste if it really was more powerful and better in every way to the Ps3?

Would he just simply die? Or disintegrate/melt or what?
I figure he would start talking in key words like, PS4, Cell, Potential.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
There's the usual bunch in here already slating the new hardware when it hasn't even been released yet :lol:

If it had Microsoft or Sony's stamp however, you'd be wanking.

Only at the Caf...
I think you will find that is only Weaste and its only when Sony do something

Leg-End

The bait has been set, Weaste is going to unleash one almighty tech post on you lot soon.

WeasteDevil

Yeah but it's 50% more powerful than a PS3! it's also got a BR player!

Dicks!
It has an optical drive based on Blu-ray, but as far as we know, it can't play BD movies. I'm still interested as to what that 50% means. Pixel pushing? I was expecting between 300% and 400% improvement. It's clear that its CPU cannot match Cell in raw grunt, because no CPU can.

Spoony

The People's President
It has an optical drive based on Blu-ray, but as far as we know, it can't play BD movies. I'm still interested as to what that 50% means. Pixel pushing? I was expecting between 300% and 400% improvement. It's clear that its CPU cannot match Cell in raw grunt, because no CPU can.
Hang on W-De, it's 50% more power, I thought that'd mean it's basically 1 1/2 PS3s?

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
As big a fanboy as Weaste is he has proficiency in this area, it is one thing to be a fanboy when you know nothing about anything, but quite another when you are very well informed about what you are talking about.

Not to say I go along blindly with everything he says, but you have to listen to technical points he makes. In a field such as microprocessing where capabilities every generation are growing exponentially Weaste is very right to say "50% stronger" is not enough if you want to be in a fighting position on the graphical front fighting both the PS3 and the Xbox 360 plus their successors.

WeasteDevil

Not to say I go along blindly with everything he says, but you have to listen to technical points he makes. In a field such as microprocessing where capabilities every generation are growing exponentially Weaste is very right to say "50% stronger" is not enough if you want to be in a fighting position on the graphical front fighting both the PS3 and the Xbox 360 plus their successors.
I think that the 50% number is something that someone simply plucked out of their arse. It just happens to fit rather too nicely to a 720p screen and a controller screen output.

I made a mental miscalculation before when I said 1080p @ 60fps is around 350% more than 720p @ 30fps even though the vertex processing load doesn't scale with the pixels. In terms of simply pushing pixels, one is 124416000 pixels per second to the other 27648000, or around 450% fillrate. The 50% more powerful does not make sense if it really can do 1080p @ 60fps.

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
Nothing wrong with Mario. But Zelda has big potential on the new Wii
Plus F Zero and Mario Kart, the controller really hands itself to racing games.

It seems almost alien to say it but if GTA V appears on Wii-U would the driving element make it the must have version?

WeasteDevil

I have trouble looking at the map on the HUD in the top left in GT5 without crashing the car at high speed, I'd hate to think what looking at a different screen would do. Are you talking rear view mirror here or a track map or what?