Gaming Wii-U

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
I have trouble looking at the map on the HUD in the top left in GT5 without crashing the car at high speed, I'd hate to think what looking at a different screen would do. Are you talking rear view mirror here or a track map or what?
I'm not really talking about the second screen at all, just the motion sensor allowing you to use the controller like an F1 style steering wheel.

Spoony

The People's President
I'm not really talking about the second screen at all, just the motion sensor allowing you to use the controller like an F1 style steering wheel.
Yeah but you'd have to turn your head with the controller.

Like this:

Imagine someone rotating their head in tandem with the controller.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah but you'd have to turn your head with the controller.

Like this:

Imagine someone rotating their head in tandem with the controller.
To read the second screen you mean? Not really plus in such a game you wouldn't really be using it.

WeasteDevil

The gyroscopes you mean? Wii has done that hasn't it with this...

I don't see the point without any force feedback, but maybe that's just me. It's the same with Wipeout HD where you can use the sixaxis to do something similar - personally I'd rather use the sticks.

WeasteDevil

An interesting note to that however is that whenever my son plays GT5 he does actually move the whole controller around in front of him, sometimes even to the point of falling over himself. Bizarre thing to watch, but maybe his age makes him think that by moving the controller to the left, it will get him around the left corner better, I don't know. My wife does something similar in real cars when overtaking, she pulls herself right up to the steering wheel and makes this back and fro sort of motion as if it is going to make the car go faster - no dear, you look very silly, the car's speed is controlled by your foot.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
I don't see the point without any force feedback, but maybe that's just me. It's the same with Wipeout HD where you can use the sixaxis to do something similar - personally I'd rather use the sticks.
Perhaps so, the wii-mote has a built-in rumble and I haven't heard to the contrary with the new controller.

Plus I didn't know that the PS3 controller is fashioned in a somewhat similar manner.

WeasteDevil

Plus I didn't know that the PS3 controller is fashioned in a somewhat similar manner.
Many say that it was stuck in at the last minute in response to the Wii to give some form of motion control. It's now hardly ever used, but there are good examples, such as guiding the arrows in Heavenly Sword, Wipeout HD to steer, selecting where the grenades go in Uncharted and having to shake it like hell to get the Spanish zombies off you.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
To be fair Weaste is right. 50% is just a random number that means nothing.

Though the reports of the screen quality on the controller is impressive, so if it's doing both that's pretty good. Though, of course it depends on what exactly will be going on on the controller.

Oh and Weaste, I have no problem focusing on telemetry and what not whilst racing, glancing at the controller to do so would actually be easier. Maybe you are just slipping :) That being said, I never play driving games without a proper wheel so I doubt I'd ever play one on the Wii-U ;)

WeasteDevil

It's fine if you know the track, but for the life of me I can't remember the full Nurburgring. I'll try it tomorrow in the F1 car with the racing line off, and I guarantee it will be all sorts of bedlam happening. It's tracks like that when you glance at the map of a track that you can't remember, and as you glance away from the road going over 200mph, the track curves a little and off you go. It would be better if there was no map at all.

Redlambs

I don't know, maybe you have a more frantic driving style than me or just need to practice doing it more. You don't need to know every mm of every track in every game (though some people do!) You just need to understand corner types a bit. Oh and nearly all games let you turn off the map don't they?

WeasteDevil

We've known this since E3. The funny bits are the quotes of what Iwata was supposed to have said.

The reason for that is that we feel that enough people already have devices that are capable of playing DVDs and Blu-ray, such that it didn't warrant the cost involved to build that functionality into the Wii U console because of the patents related to those technologies.
Well, ok Nintendo, I already have a box that can play games on, so you don't need to add that functionality either. :houllier:

One of the big pushing points they put into their E3 presentation is that you can still play a game on the controller while another person is watching the TV. Yet, you can't watch a movie on the controller while another person is watching TV?

The simply don't want to pay the licence fees of around $6 or whatever it is to enable CD, DVD, and Blu-ray playback. The daft thing is, they could do it by charging you extra, say $6, to download an application to allow you to have this functionality.

Many will say meh, I already have a box to do that, but there are many like me that don't want multiple boxes lying all over the show. A console, a TV, and a receiver should be all I ever need.

Kaos

That's a load of bollocks. Inexcusable not to even have DVD playback.
Well of course it won't have DVD playback if it uses 12cm optical discs. It's a lot better too that way IMO - it makes the console cheaper as a whole and lets face it - no one is going to buy a Wii to watch movies on, that's a role that can be filled by any one of a 360, PS3 or a general home entertainment system.

It's also why they won't bother with a hard drive, and rightly so. Its not a media machine, but solely a games console which we end up paying less for as a result.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It should be really powerful shouldn't it? It's the next generation Nintendo console. Reckon the next Playstation and Xbox will eat it alive in terms of graphics if what I've seen is supposedly the standard they're setting.

Redlambs

It should be really powerful shouldn't it? It's the next generation Nintendo console. Reckon the next Playstation and Xbox will eat it alive in terms of graphics if what I've seen is supposedly the standard they're setting.
You are wrong on all counts. First there's no need for it to be really powerful in Nintendo's eyes (and budget) and second we've seen nowhere near enough to judge exactly what it can and can't do.

Don't forget it's also running the controller which is apparantly high quality, so if the machine can put 1080p to the tv and around 600 to the controller and both actively play at the same time, then that is very impressive.

But then some people only want graphics and guns ;)

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
THQ are pretty much convinced it is more powerful than the present generation, despite Nintendo not finalising it yet.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
There are reports aplenty that Nintendo are cutting corners everywhere you look in developing it, one says that they are about to send out the fourth iteration of the controller as they refuse to spend what they need to get it right.

At the sametime speculation is swirling that they are after a June 2012 release. Considering the issues they are having with the architecture of the console less than ten months out, they are being dangerously risky and cavalier.

If they are not careful they could do a Sega Saturn with Wii U.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
Dragon Quest X is confirmed for Japan, pretty much guaranteeing very big sales.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
Is Nintendo being clever by being awfully quiet on the development of the console? It has been well over three months since they unveiled it in a haphazard way and thus have allowed the awkard questions to continue.

They are going to have to do a second major unveil in the not too distant future if it is to be released in the summer, as all we know so far is what an advanced prototype looks like and the controller/second screen dynamic.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We've known this since E3. The funny bits are the quotes of what Iwata was supposed to have said.

Well, ok Nintendo, I already have a box that can play games on, so you don't need to add that functionality either. :houllier:

One of the big pushing points they put into their E3 presentation is that you can still play a game on the controller while another person is watching the TV. Yet, you can't watch a movie on the controller while another person is watching TV?

The simply don't want to pay the licence fees of around $6 or whatever it is to enable CD, DVD, and Blu-ray playback. The daft thing is, they could do it by charging you extra, say $6, to download an application to allow you to have this functionality.

Many will say meh, I already have a box to do that, but there are many like me that don't want multiple boxes lying all over the show. A console, a TV, and a receiver should be all I ever need.
I think it's fair enough, when it comes to Console gaming I think most people choose between Xbox or Playstation, some choose both, but I'd hazard a guess that more people own an Xbox or Playstation and a Wii, than people that own both an Xbox and Playstation.

That might sound nonsensical, but I'll get to the point now: Gamers don't tend to choose a Nintendo over a PS/Xbox and with that being the case having an optical media device is never going to be a selling point. Then you have the corner of the market Nintendo already own, the casual gamers. Familys and such like. I'd be surprised if a family that has no other console, didn't already have a DVD player or Blueray. While I agree with you that it would be a bonus not to have an "extra box", from a business perspective, their sales just aren't going to be affected by putting one in and if it keeps the cost down, that will be reflected in a more competitive price and they'll sell more.

It makes perfect sense.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
Ninja Gaiden III has been confirmed for Wii U's release day, the first game to be announced as such.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
Weaste, how long before a near-simultaneous worldwide launch would Nintendo have to put Wii U intro production in order to come close to satisfying demand?

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Pricing hint?

Does that change as we get closer to the next-generation console, the Wii U?

The market is going to continue to differentiate based on the types of experiences that consumers want. As an example, if I’m the head of a household of a family of four, and my disposable income is $50,000 to $60,000, I’m going to continue to look at the Wii because of the software, and it’s a great entertainment device. For consumers who want to have the latest gadgets and have a higher disposable income, that’s for the Wii U.

We haven’t announced pricing or availability or any other details, but given the current pricing of the Wii, it’s not going to be there.

We’ve been very clear, the market is going to decide how long these products will coexist side by side. Our goal is to launch the Wii U and drive it into the marketplace, but it will speak to a different consumer than the one that is buying the Wii today during the holidays.
Nintendo Expecting Its Strongest Sales for the Year This Week - Tricia Duryee - Commerce - AllThingsD

That's from Nintendo's president Reggie. Now to me that implies that the Wii-U going to have around a £300 price tag in England. With Wii-U being aimed at the core market and the Wii being aimed at the more casual market, with maybe a RRP of £99?

If people take to the Wii U, and sales of the Wii + 3DS remain strong, Nintendo truly could take a huge share of the gaming market.

Also of interest was what he said regarding Sony and Microsoft:

What about the other consoles? Both Sony’s PlayStation and Microsoft’s Xbox are about the same age.

All of the competitors haven’t talked about what’s next for them, and given the investments they’ve made in their technologies, for them to move to new systems — at least on the same timing we want to move at — would probably be pretty challenging. But in terms of what they are going to do, when they are going to do it, you’ll have to talk to them.

WeasteDevil

Nintendo Expecting Its Strongest Sales for the Year This Week - Tricia Duryee - Commerce - AllThingsD

That's from Nintendo's president Reggie. Now to me that implies that the Wii-U going to have around a £300 price tag in England. With Wii-U being aimed at the core market and the Wii being aimed at the more casual market, with maybe a RRP of £99?

If people take to the Wii U, and sales of the Wii + 3DS remain strong, Nintendo truly could take a huge share of the gaming market.

Also of interest was what he said regarding Sony and Microsoft:
If we look at Xb360 and PS3 combined, when it all comes out in the wash they are together most likely to hit PS2 numbers. Wii did something different, it brought a whole load of people into gaming that never had any interest before. Now, whether Sony for example want to get into that is anyone's guess, I would guess that they don't and want to go after the more traditional gamer again. It seems Nintendo want to go back there again as well. At the end of the day, casual gaming is lost to iOS/Android/Facebook in any case.

Nintendo will do what Nintendo always does, and push their platform through the mass appeal of their own software. They are playing a dangerous game however if they want to move back into the traditional space, because their hardware is going to be seriously underpowered in comparison to the other two that will launch much later without them providing much of a technological jump over what is already available. Their problem is online. There are so many people now locked into the XBLIVE and PSN ecosystems and don't want to lose their games. XBLIVE is one of the reasons why Microsoft were able to take basically 50% of Sony's market.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
At least 6 months. They are going to have yield issues on new chips unless they are off the shelf.
I thought it would be quite a long lead time but not that long. I never expected an early or mid summer launch as that simply isn't the time to be launching a new console - August/September with the start of the Autumn in mind and the upswing in software sales towards Christmas in mind.

Nintendo are still said to be deciding between some pretty fundamental choices regarding processing power, surely then they have twelve weeks to finalise to get an early autumn launch with sufficient volume which to be fair a new console never seems to have.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Well Mark Atkinson (former Director of Technology at Crytek) became a Consultant Software Engineer for Nintendo in September. I guess it could be related (if that from Gaf is true of course).

EDIT: Oh, and it would be quite nice if Timesplitters 4 was somehow related to this :)

WeasteDevil

Well Mark Atkinson (former Director of Technology at Crytek) became a Consultant Software Engineer for Nintendo in September. I guess it could be related (if that from Gaf is true of course).
That has feck all to do with it. Wii U looks like it has a CPU at least on par with the one in the XB360, a GPU based on the standard shader model that certainly has more grunt than RSX or Xenos, and a lot more RAM. It's as simple as that.

Redlambs

That has feck all to do with it. Wii U looks like it has a CPU at least on par with the one in the XB360, a GPU based on the standard shader model that certainly has more grunt than RSX or Xenos, and a lot more RAM. It's as simple as that.
It's quite odd you'd react so hostile to what's a very simple connection.

They had the Crytek 3 engine running last year, is it a leap to suggest this guy was a driving force to getting them in from the off?

WeasteDevil

It's quite odd you'd react so hostile to what's a very simple connection.

They had the Crytek 3 engine running last year, is it a leap to suggest this guy was a driving force to getting them in from the off?
They didn't need the guy, the machine is capable of running it without hardly any work involved. Set the --wiiu flag on the compiler and off you go!

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
If we look at Xb360 and PS3 combined, when it all comes out in the wash they are together most likely to hit PS2 numbers. Wii did something different, it brought a whole load of people into gaming that never had any interest before. Now, whether Sony for example want to get into that is anyone's guess, I would guess that they don't and want to go after the more traditional gamer again. It seems Nintendo want to go back there again as well. At the end of the day, casual gaming is lost to iOS/Android/Facebook in any case.

Nintendo will do what Nintendo always does, and push their platform through the mass appeal of their own software. They are playing a dangerous game however if they want to move back into the traditional space, because their hardware is going to be seriously underpowered in comparison to the other two that will launch much later without them providing much of a technological jump over what is already available. Their problem is online. There are so many people now locked into the XBLIVE and PSN ecosystems and don't want to lose their games. XBLIVE is one of the reasons why Microsoft were able to take basically 50% of Sony's market.
That is making some seriously big assumptions. Why would you guess that Sony will not target the casual market when is clear that the casual demographic will make them a huge amount of money. The fact that they invested heavily in PS move suggests that they have an eye well and truly set on the casual gamers. Whether you like it or not they are now incorporated into the gaming market segment. I still think there is a difference between Casual console gamers and casual app gamers. People who use apps are spending pennies and not thirty quid on a game. It's a huge difference.

As far as the power of Xbox and Sonys new cnsole is concerened then no one knows. Likewise no one has a clue what Nintendos will be able to do so it is purely speculation. Also early signs indicate Nintendo are trying to get as much third party support as possible.