Wilfried Zaha - Sold to Crystal Palace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Litch

That really isn't impressive at all.
Gareth Bale was dropped for Benoit Assou Ekotto around similar age IIRC.

Most of this board would have seemingly sold Bale for 5 million at 21 and released Kane on a free.

If we think he has the talent then should keep in the squad for atleast half a season or 1 season more.
Agree. I Understand people's view about his mentality but I'm absolutely bewildered about whether he's good enough in the longer term based on how many times he's played in a utd shirt. All I'm going to say is be careful what you wish for.

RedorDead21

Agree. I Understand people's view about his mentality but I'm absolutely bewildered about whether he's good enough in the longer term based on how many times he's played in a utd shirt. All I'm going to say is be careful what you wish for.
He will never be a LVG player. A player who has no idea what he is going to do next has never been, and will never be, worthy of preaching a philosophy to, its that simple I'm afraid.

Kag

Yep expecting a player who despite 164 senior appearances cannot get a game in one of the poorest sides in the league to wake up one morning a player of Manchester United quality is reasonable. Or maybe what's reasonable is the comparison with Nani who at Zahas age had played over 76 games for a powerhouse in Portugal including 8 appearances in the champions league along with being capped by his national team.

Proper reason would have you see that despite this "talent" he never reached double figures in the championship, best being 9 in 2011-12 after playing 48 games. Played a grand total of 2 games for us before being sent on loan to Cardiff where his attitude absolutely stunk not to mention the massive contribution of nothing in 11 and now he finds himself being kept out of a poor side by a winger who has been on loan 4 times in 4 years and another who has only 4 goals in 98 appearances for Palace. Today Bolasie wasn't available....Barry Bannan got picked ahead of Zaha. But according to your reason "this is the type of player we're currently missing". A Crystal Palace substitute.
Boom.

Ekeke

Personally my biggest critisisms of him would be that he tends to react slowly to things, like a loose ball or the break of a ball when he wasnt the one running with it. He's not really alive to the situation around him. And he also doesn't seem to be learning to improve his run making and positioning. Every now and again he'll move into the middle into some space, receive a pass and he can turn past players quite well in that situation as they come from behind him. But thats it when it comes to good movement, he's not running in behind defences to get on the end of a pass and he's not very good at moving into space where a teammate can pass him the ball either.

He can do some good things, I think theres a good player in there but I don't think it'll be at United or a top club, at least not until maybe 26-27 years old where something might click with him in terms of learning and adding to his game. Maybe if that happens he'll get another chance at a big club. Until then I think he can make it at a club about Everton's level at most

Robbie Boy

I honestly can't see him making it here and I would question whether he's yet a PL standard player, let alone good enough for us. I have never really rated him and I feel even in the Championship, the likes of Ince played at a higher level.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
i honestly don't understand how people don't see how much potential this lad has.
I think everbody see's his potential, but then everybody see's he will never reach it. He is another Ravel Morrison in my eyes. All the talent, but none of the work ethic.

Sb_16

He has a body like Ronaldo of today and he does tricks like the Ronaldo of yesterday. Its a professionally real life Benjamin Button.

Member 39557

Yep expecting a player who despite 164 senior appearances cannot get a game in one of the poorest sides in the league to wake up one morning a player of Manchester United quality is reasonable. Or maybe what's reasonable is the comparison with Nani who at Zahas age had played over 76 games for a powerhouse in Portugal including 8 appearances in the champions league along with being capped by his national team.

Proper reason would have you see that despite this "talent" he never reached double figures in the championship, best being 9 in 2011-12 after playing 48 games. Played a grand total of 2 games for us before being sent on loan to Cardiff where his attitude absolutely stunk not to mention the massive contribution of nothing in 11 and now he finds himself being kept out of a poor side by a winger who has been on loan 4 times in 4 years and another who has only 4 goals in 98 appearances for Palace. Today Bolasie wasn't available....Barry Bannan got picked ahead of Zaha. But according to your reason "this is the type of player we're currently missing". A Crystal Palace substitute.
Lots of players have talent, yet remain overlooked by managers for various reasons. Personality clashes, formations/systems not suited to their style, 4 players vying for 2 positions etc.

Darren Bent: Proven goalscorer couldn't get a game for a Villa side that couldn't buy a goal. Doesn't mean he's not talented enough for the premiership, or for Aston Villa.

I'm not saying Zaha should, or will make the grade but I wouldn't write him off because he isn't getting in the side at a loan club.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
i honestly don't understand how people don't see how much potential this lad has.
Because we don't swoon at a bit of pace and the odd step over?

He's the definition of flatters to deceive.

legball

I can't see what potential he has. If Zaha was a Liverpool player for instance, I doubt anyone here would be saying stuff like he has potential, whichof course he does, but how high is his level of potential, I don't think it's particularly high. He should be getting games at a small club like Palace but he's not doing that, he couldn't do it at Cardiff with Ole in charge but somehow he has potential and could one day be good enough for us. I don't buy that, he's not shit, but he's a vert clumsy and ordinary footballer.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
I thought the problem with him wasn't to do with his ability (though I personally don't think he's all that), but rather with his lack of professional attitude.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
There were many people on this very forum who said Bale was a kick and run merchant who looked like a chimp.

Im not saying Zaha will be a star or anything, but if you can't see the blatant talent that he has you're an idiot basically.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
There were many people on this very forum who said Bale was a kick and run merchant who looked like a chimp.

Im not saying Zaha will be a star or anything, but if you can't see the blatant talent that he has you're an idiot basically.
They're not really comparable though as Bale always had the application and workrate. I think a better comparison could be someone like Ben Arfa, hugely talented but hasn't amounted to anything because of his poor attitude and laziness. I think Zaha's problems are similar.

Hed Zitin

He's got a knack for taking a player on, the opposition player gets to the ball, but somehow he still manages to wriggle out with the ball.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
They're not really comparable though as Bale always had the application and workrate. I think a better comparison could be someone like Ben Arfa, hugely talented but hasn't amounted to anything because of his poor attitude and laziness. I think Zaha's problems are similar.
I think that's a fair comparison. I certainly do believe he is talented, and is excellent physically. I have no idea if he is United quality overall, but none of us can really say so either way. But from what Phil Neville has said about him, he sounds like he doesn't truly comprehend the opportunity he has, and I'm unsure if he ever will. I think he needs a wake-up call and a massive kick up the arse.

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
I think that's a fair comparison. I certainly do believe he is talented, and is excellent physically. I have no idea if he is United quality overall, but none of us can really say so either way. But from what Phil Neville has said about him, he sounds like he doesn't truly comprehend the opportunity he has, and I'm unsure if he ever will. I think he needs a wake-up call and a massive kick up the arse.
Ashley Young/Tony Valencia have been our wingers/wide attacking players for the last 4 years, so that's United quality and i believe Zaha is more talented than those 2.

He's a talented kid and i would like him to be given a chance.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Looks like Pardew will be giving him a kick up the arse:

Eagles boss Pardew has vowed to raise Zaha’s “profile and spirit” with the 21-year-old on a season-long loan back at first senior club Palace.

Substitute Zaha laid on Jason Puncheon’s winner in Palace’s 2-1 Premier League victory over Tottenham last weekend, in an influential cameo.

New Palace boss Pardew admitted it must be tough going for Zaha to be back for a second loan stint at Selhurst Park since joining United in January 2013.

“I intend to have a word with him,” said Pardew, ahead of Saturday’s Premier League trip to Turf Moor.

“He’s an important player.

“In terms of finding himself at perhaps the biggest club in the world bar one or two, and not getting an opportunity and having to come back to his former club - I think that’s difficult.

“Mentally I think that’s difficult for a young player.

“So I feel sorry for him, a little bit.

“And I’ll do my best to raise his profile and spirit for us, and for Manchester United because I’m sure they’ve got one eye on him hopefully still to be a success for them.”
http://www.london24.com/sport/footb...manchester_united_loanee_to_kick_on_1_3919747

lem8sh

Lots of players have talent, yet remain overlooked by managers for various reasons. Personality clashes, formations/systems not suited to their style, 4 players vying for 2 positions etc.

Darren Bent: Proven goalscorer couldn't get a game for a Villa side that couldn't buy a goal. Doesn't mean he's not talented enough for the premiership, or for Aston Villa.

I'm not saying Zaha should, or will make the grade but I wouldn't write him off because he isn't getting in the side at a loan club.
I'd write him off as a player of Manchester United quality.

RooneyLegend

Because we don't swoon at a bit of pace and the odd step over?

He's the definition of flatters to deceive.
At the moment he does flatter to deceive but he;s still young, that end product should come with due time. There isn't anything in his game that is repairable. He doesn't just have pace and the odd step over, he's also strong on the ball, changes direction with ridiculous ease, and has quick feet that makes him incredibly difficult to stop for fullbacks. He's still a chance wasting merchant but that will probably change with time. He rag-dolled Walker with the sort of ease that someone without loads of potential wouldn't be able to do. I'd say that the moment people understand that he's double the player on the left than he is on the right is the day he'll develop into a truly great player.

JohnnyLaw

I really hope that he'll be able to turn his career around and step up to the level that we require. I crave to watch a player who utilizes that kind of speed and flair on the pitch for us again, wether it be him or someone else. Even if he turns out only good enough to be a squad player for us I'll be happy.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Shit attitude apparently, but putting that aside I think he's a headless chicken who doesn't work hard defensively, poor passer of the ball and not actually very good with his feet. He constantly tries tricks and inevitably some will come off, but Obertan always had tricks too, Luke Chadwick had tricks.

He's like Balotelli Lite.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
I still bet he has passed more defenders in one match than we've had all season, prefer what he's doing that the usual common pass the ball back if you see defenders in front of you. There have been quite a few games where he's actually been a threat, shook defenders up and used his pace, something which has become very rare over here. He clearly has potential, but I'm doubting his mentality, it will be best for him to leave to a lower PL side, and then work his way up.

Litch

just my view, he could be very special but the world of traditional wingers is a dying breed. To me, he is no different of any utd winger of his age, and I include Giggs and CR in that. I'm not saying he's of that quality but I've read exactly the same levelled at them. I question whether them at 21 they would fit in today's football and the current 3-5-2 systems, they are certainly not wing backs.

Hal9000

I think Pardew will use him, he tried to get him at Newcastle didn't he?

Revan

Assumptionman

Then why do you mention Bale if taht is the case? Basically you mention one of the best players in the world who was belittled here in the context of Zaha not being rated here. Of course you're thinking that he'll become a star, otherwise you wouldn't be mentioning someone as good as Bale.

And I really don't see what talent he has. Cannot get games in low table clubs while despite being a 22 years old (at that age Bale was being chosen as the best player in EPL). Yeah, he can occasionally beat a defender when one out of his 134 attempted stepovers goes right, but is that enough to determine how talented he is.

Rossa

I fail to see the big talent that this lad supposedly has. He's quick, but not Giggs/Ronaldo/Bale quick, so more like standard winger pace, no more than that. He can dribble, but not close to the likes of Nani. His passing is erratic, he doesn't work hard; his shooting isn't particularly good, and his crossing is far from legendary. Might be a decent squad option, but I seriously doubt he would amount to anything more than that at United.

Rednotdead

I fail to see the big talent that this lad supposedly has. He's quick, but not Giggs/Ronaldo/Bale quick, so more like standard winger pace, no more than that. He can dribble, but not close to the likes of Nani. His passing is erratic, he doesn't work hard; his shooting isn't particularly good, and his crossing is far from legendary. Might be a decent squad option, but I seriously doubt he would amount to anything more than that at United.
He's never has talent, only potential. Potential needs to be nurtured and worked on to create talent and the only person who can do that is himself. He hasn't done it, and nobody else can do it for him.

Rossa

He's never has talent, only potential. Potential needs to be nurtured and worked on to create talent and the only person who can do that is himself. He hasn't done it, and nobody else can do it for him.
Well, I don't see him having more potential than the average winger either. I just fail to see what attributes he has that sets him apart from the myriad of wingers out there who are quick-ish and can impress with a few flair moves that usually amounts to little.

Rednotdead

Well, I don't see him having more potential than the average winger either. I just fail to see what attributes he has that sets him apart from the myriad of wingers out there who are quick-ish and can impress with a few flair moves that usually amounts to little.
Yes - clearly Fergie saw something about him, though only he knows what. I presume he saw a potential that could be developed, but like many other youngsters he just hasn't made the grade.

Robbie Boy

He's not even the best winger in the Palace squad, FFS. He won't make it here and I have serious reservations about him making it at all. I would be astonished if he was still here after the summer.

The Azzurri

Can we recall him back?

His crossing seems more threatening and offers more penetrative runs on the wing than Valencia ever did for us

Status
Not open for further replies.