Wilfried Zaha - Sold to Crystal Palace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_toad

Well thats just wrong. I've never liked Valencia but at his best a few years back he was twice the player Zaha is.
Yup some people have very short memories. Amazes me how fickle fans are, no appreciation of past performances of so many of our players by so many fans....

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Personally, I've never been overly impressed by this guy, and it would be wasting everyone's time keeping him here.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
There's something about Zaha that's quite likeable and makes me want him to do well - I hope he can prove himself to be a regular starter for a PL club and rack up some consistent goals and assists. He'll never be top four quality though - potentially a Spurs/Everton level player, but personally I think he'd be best staying at a club the size of Palace and becoming the top dog there.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Thought we'd get something near that amount, for lower placed teams it's near the transfer record. Even for Palace who have been in Premier League for two years running and look like will stay in second consecutive season it's plenty.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Bought 15M, sold 3M… good piece of business form Man United. But the guy had his chance to impress Moyes and didn’t as he had the chance to impress on loan and didn’t. Good bye industrial error

Godfather

Doesn't have half the talent some on here claimed. His "trickery" always looked like he had no control of the ball at all. Was never impressed.

Skills

Snitch
Has to be our dumbest buy in recent years? So we sign him in January by a manager who's going to retire in 6 months time - and then loan him out for the rest of the season. So he never actually plays for the man who signs him. Then we find out the next manager doesn't rate him at all and never plays him.

This kind of shit would be acceptable if you have a director of football in place who buys the players, and the manager just coaches them. But with our system where the manager has the final say in transfers/squads, it's completely and utterly retarded.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
Fergie probably signed him to make his last signing end with a 'Z' given that his first signing was Viv Anderson.

justboy68

We are still absolutely useless at selling players then it seems. I reckon Chelsea would have got at least £12 million for him. When they buy a prospect and loan him about they still end up making a profit somehow.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I do think we should keep him for a bit longer. If nothing else, we might get a lot more for him when we do eventually sell him. Of course, whether we get 3m for him or 6m, it won't make a great deal of difference but there's something about him that stops me from giving up on him.

MDFC Manager

We are still absolutely useless at selling players then it seems. I reckon Chelsea would have got at least £12 million for him. When they buy a prospect and loan him about they still end up making a profit somehow.
I was thinking about this too. But it's not hard for Chelsea to make that money as the players they sell actually turn out to be good. Unlike Zaha.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
He was bought for £15M and we're only selling him for £3M. ffs I've never been that impressed with him but he's a decent winger and he's definitely worth more than £3M especially in today's market. I would have been asking for around £7M for him.

Smores

Seems ridiculous to sell him for such a ridiculously small fee. Surprised we've written him off so soon into his PL career.

We really need tricky and pacey players. With Nani looking like he may depart as well then I'm bemused by our direction.

Are we going to replace these guys?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Zaha barely played at the clubs he's been on loan to. Even Chelsea would have struggled to get much for him and certainly wouldn't have got £12M with the wages Zaha would probably be looking for.

luckyspurs

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Spurs got £13m combined for 24 year old versions of Naughton and Livermore. Zaha for £3m is ridiculous, especially when McManaman's just moved for £5m and Townsend had a £12m bid turned down.

Last edited:

drdoityourself

He is dangerous every time I watch him, should be given more time here to impress. Especially when most of our players are ponderous and not the best dribblers. Chelsea would probably get 10 million more for him.

Count Orduck

Chelsea would never have bought him in the first place. Their signings are much more shrewd, so even those that they end up moving on tend to have been loaned out to a decent team and got plenty of games to prove their talent. In other words, there's good clubs lining up to take them on.

Zaha has been loaned out to Cardiff and Crystal Palace, and not played much at either. There's a world of difference there.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
£3m :lol:
I never really believed in him, looked miles away from being a United quality. Even when we don't have wingers at all, he still was loaned out.
So we payed something like £10+m for a guy who played like what, 5 games for us?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
£3m :lol:
I never really believed in him, looked miles away from being a United quality. Even when we don't have wingers at all, he still was loaned out.
So we payed something like £10+m for a guy who played like what, 5 games for us?
I'd imagine a lot of his fee was performance related and he's not met any of those expectations

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I'd imagine a lot of his fee was performance related and he's not met any of those expectations
I hope so but 10m is the minimum I guess. Don't really care whether it's 15 or 10, it's ridiculous business. It looks like this transfer was done in a rush of emotions.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I hope so but 10m is the minimum I guess. Don't really care whether it's 15 or 10, it's ridiculous business. It looks like this transfer was done in a rush of emotions.
True. I'm just trying to see some sort of upside!

MDFC Manager

Chelsea would never have bought him in the first place. Their signings are much more shrewd, so even those that they end up moving on tend to have been loaned out to a decent team and got plenty of games to prove their talent. In other words, there's good clubs lining up to take them on.
Exactly, Chelsea would never have bought him to start with.

Redo91

Ah £10M up front and £5M in add ons. He hardly played for us so yeah £10M then. My bad.
In your defence when these deals are reported they tend to include the add-ons in the final fee. But ya no way we will have to pay any of the add-ons so £10 million is what we will end up paying for him.

Still hope this £3 million fee is wrong though. He is only 22 and an England international. West Brom look set to sign McManaman from the Championship for nearly £5 million and Zaha looks a better player than him. We should be getting around £6-8 million for him IMO.

paulscholes18

How come we are such a bad selling club? Welbeck is 3rd on the list and Paul Ince is 9th he went for 7m in 1995

Dante

Average bang
It was a gamble that cost us £7m. Fergie thought he might have turned out decent, and you can see why he did. If the manager who signed him were still at the club, it may have even possibly worked out.

After two quickfire regime changes, you have to expect to absorb these kinds of losses. It's a disappointment but hardly something to beat the club with.

Status
Not open for further replies.