Wilfried Zaha - Sold to Crystal Palace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Litch

I think we have absolutely nothing to lose loaning him out again. He's actually playing better under Pardew and coming in more centrally when running at teams. Might never be good enough for us, but another season wouldn't hurt?

Rednotdead

He would only be of limited use really, if at all. Van Gaal is stuck on playing 3-5-2 and Zaha's not at all suited to that. He'd be better somewhere where the talent he does have can be utilised. He'll never be a top class player in my opinion, but he can still have a good career.

IwatUwat

Paid a lot of money for him, he's still young. Surely if we can secure another loan where they pay most / all of his salary then its win win. If he does well and raises his transfer fee all good, if he does really well and there's an opinion he could be a success then all good. If he does badly then its the same as getting rid of him now.

Yes he likes London and potentially didnt feel at home in Manchester, but no-one can convince me that he'd rather play first team for palace over first team at utd, so lets see if he can develop into the player we all wanted. I have my doubts tho, looks great on the ball but a lot of developing in terms of football knowledge and maturity still to do. But he's relatively young.

Member 39557

He's looked quite bright in the highlights I've seen from the last couple of Palace games. Pardew is using him and perhaps the manager showing a bit of trust and the chance to play regularly will see him develop over the next few weeks/months?

Rednotdead

He's looked quite bright in the highlights I've seen from the last couple of Palace games. Pardew is using him and perhaps the manager showing a bit of trust and the chance to play regularly will see him develop over the next few weeks/months?
He had that chance at Cardiff but made nothing of it.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think he'll do well at Palace, seems to be getting his confidence back.

Member 39557

He had that chance at Cardiff but made nothing of it.
Well, who knows what goes on behind the scenes?
Perhaps he's happier at Palace, maybe Pardew has managed to get through to him, or maybe his form is temporary and he'll end up on the bench again?

khoazany

He'll be 23 soon.People are talking as if he's an exciting 19-20 yo prospect.Same people wouldn't allow more time for Powell who is two years younger.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I believed in him and I still believe but I'm not sure he'll reach level of team like United.

Wherever he'll end, I wish the best for him. He had a family problems with his brother being into gang crimes but still managed to rise above that and try just doing something on his own. Really good to see him getting some praise for his perfomances but still... it may require bit more to keep the place, here.

Devil may care

Hope this deal along with Fletch and Anderson gets done before the end of the window, we need to start clearing out the deadwood and making space for either higher quality signings or someone like Pereira in the first team squad plans.

Last edited:

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I think the add ons for Palace will be based on certain number of appearances for them and avoiding relegation, both of which I think will end up happening so the deal will probably end up closer to £7m than the £3m that everyone is giving out about and I think that's a fair amount when everything is factored in.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Reading his interview today I get the sense that the kid was never ready for the big time(and even he as much as admits to it). We were putting 15m on him,were there any background checks to suss his personality out? He seems a sensitive fella and we put him in an environment he just isnt equipped to deal with.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I still do not know why Ferguson signed him if he knew he was leaving. Shame for Zaha never got to play for Ferguson.

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
Feel for him, read a few times people saying he's not good enough, but i think he was if given the chance.

If Fergie was still here he would have been given that chance, he was the manager who paid £15m for him and would have tried to justify paying that for him.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Feel for him, read a few times people saying he's not good enough, but i think he was if given the chance.

If Fergie was still here he would have been given that chance, he was the manager who paid £15m for him and would have tried to justify paying that for him.
Why do you feel for him? Too many times several managers complained about him so he surely played his part why it didn't work out at United

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
Why do you feel for him? Too many times several managers complained about him so he surely played his part why it didn't work out at United
See that's the thing, which managers?

I'm having a search around Google typing in 'Zaha attitude' and I can't really find anything about Zaha's attitude without a manager coming out afterwards and saying there's nothing wrong with his attitude - Warnock said it's not attitude it's guidance, Holloway hasn't said anything about his attitude, just said he's lost his way a bit after his United move, Moyes never said anything about his attitude and Pardew said his attitude as been great.

Zaha and 'attitude problems', seems to come from fans or press, mainly after the incident with Ravel Morrison.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Numerous people saying he has a shit attitude, you could argue that he isnt fit for the level of United, but shit attitude? I havent heard him doing many things really wrong, worst rumours that I've heard is that he could work harder in training. You guys make him look like Morrison ffs.

JohnnyLaw

Looks like we won't be moving toward a formation with wingers any time soon. If we do it's going to take some serious(!) investment in the summer as only Adnan and Nani remain on our books.

Also :(

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Looks like we won't be moving toward a formation with wingers any time soon. If we do it's going to take some serious(!) investment in the summer as only Adnan and Nani remain on our books.

Thank god we are not choosing a formation that would see us need to play Zaha on the wing.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

Di Maria?

JohnnyLaw

Thank god we are not choosing a formation that would see us need to play Zaha on the wing.
Not as first option obviously. He's done pretty well as a sub for Crystal Palace, against good teams aswell like Tottenham and Chelsea for example.

Di Maria?
I see him as a CM, he's been way more effective for us there and I hope that's where he'll play.

marlowe78

It was a very strange signing, really. I assume that SAF got Zaha with the plan to develop him under his watch, he had that ability to keep young players in line. But why sign him if he was going to retire anyway?

Zaha seems to have the physical attributes, he just needs to work on his decision-making. The quickness and drive to make a good footballer are there. Strange, because it seemed he was getting a look from Moyes early on but after the Community Shield he dropped out of the picture (there were the daughter rumors, of course, that kind of hung over things). He and Fabio got some crap treatment.

Sam

He's shit. Can't even get into the Palace starting XI, yet people moaning that he hasn't been given a fair chance.

He's played for 4 managers in the past year, and not one of them had him as a guaranteed starter in their teams. Not one.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
It was a very strange signing, really. I assume that SAF got Zaha with the plan to develop him under his watch, he had that ability to keep young players in line. But why sign him if he was going to retire anyway?

Zaha seems to have the physical attributes, he just needs to work on his decision-making. The quickness and drive to make a good footballer are there. Strange, because it seemed he was getting a look from Moyes early on but after the Community Shield he dropped out of the picture (there were the daughter rumors, of course, that kind of hung over things). He and Fabio got some crap treatment.
Like Powell, Zaha was one of the most exciting English talents in the lower leagues

I wasn't really shocked at all we went for him. Obviously fergie felt both would develop far better than they have done

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Numerous people saying he has a shit attitude, you could argue that he isnt fit for the level of United, but shit attitude? I havent heard him doing many things really wrong, worst rumours that I've heard is that he could work harder in training. You guys make him look like Morrison ffs.
Look a bit harder and the quotes are there. Phil Neville, Holloway and Southgate have all spoke about it.

He apparently had a free reign at Crystal Palace and just turned up when he felt like it to training, was late for games etc. Just watching him frequently berate teammates at youth level was enough evidence.

Devil may care

I think we will be sticking with the diamond as LvG doesn't trust Di Maria as an actual CM but wants to give him freedom to attack through the middle and wide as opposed to sticking him out on the wing, so the free role behind the strikers will be his position going forth IMO.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Look a bit harder and the quotes are there. Phil Neville, Holloway and Southgate have all spoke about it.

He apparently had a free reign at Crystal Palace and just turned up when he felt like it to training, was late for games etc. Just watching him frequently berate teammates at youth level was enough evidence.
Just looked it up, you're very negative if you took that out of it. Phil Neville has primarly spoken about him not having acclamatised to the United life, how different it is and what it costs, saying that multiple have struggled with it like Evra, Vidic, Marouane, fair enough.

Holloway reviewed Zaha's period at United, and when he came to the topic that Zaha turned up late, he said that's not how he knows Zaha and that's nothing like Zaha would do, he seemed surprised, so I'd rather take it as an incident/fault than evidence of his shit attitude. Not really found something from Southgate, bar saying he should step up and talking about the Morrison row, that it's fine and that is happens sometimes.

Or you're being way too dramatic, or I'm not searching good enough, but I doubt Zaha has a shit attitude, rather think he just wasnt ready for it.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
He's clearly no Ravel but he does seem to lack a bit of dedication, not unlike Powell. Shame Sir didn't stay a while longer, things might have turned out very differently for those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.