Will Bruno achieve legend status at utd?

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
So they didnt include... but fax crying wuss got in, now thats funny.
I got bamboozled too, but it's just a list over the top 25 in terms of goals and appearances. I guess "legends" was just the term they ended up choosing to describe both.

simplyared

None of those are answers to what was asked.
In the OP it was mentioned he has the credentials to become a legend. Surely some of those "answers" would be significant as to what we expect of a united legend. You can also add to the list the fact he's carried the team for most of his tenure.

Withnail

In the OP it was mentioned he has the credentials to become a legend. Surely some of those "answers" would be significant as to what we expect of a united legend. You can also add to the list the fact he's carried the team for most of his tenure.
Well to play devil's advocate being the best of a bad bunch does not a legend make.

Shark

@NotShark
He'll be remembered as a great player but a legend? Nah.

Not enough silverware during his prime.

Valencia Shin Crosses

“Carrying” a poor team while also generally failing constantly against good teams doesn’t mean much. Not for legend status at a club like United that’s for sure.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Other way round. Maguire is the far worse player, but a better captain.
Well it’s a hell of a lot easier to judge a footballer’s ability as a player than as a captain, that’s for damn sure.

This is a stupid thread anyway. There will be no “legends” from an era of such grim underachievement. That should go without saying. Just like it should go without saying one of the very few players who’s actually performed quite well over the last few years is a long way down the list of causes for this underachievement. Captain or not captain.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
---> I'm not saying that they are the same type of player or equals in any way, shape or form <---

Would Robson not have been a United legend if he left us before winning the PL? He was 36 when he won his first PL trophy, so it's hardly a crazy thought-experiment.

In my book he would most definitely still be a legend. And that is why I can't use that as a legend qualifier. It's more complicated than that.
Robson is a legend because he was literally Roy of the fecking Rovers for us, being the difference in so many huge games. He was an almighty inspiration. Feck me he was god like. Go watch the Barca game and dozens of Liverpool games. He didn’t drop 4-5 out of 10 performances ever….Nevermind 4 games out of 5.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Robson is a legend because he was literally Roy of the fecking Rovers for us, being the difference in so many huge games. He was an almighty inspiration. Feck me he was god like. Go watch the Barca game and dozens of Liverpool games. He didn’t drop 4-5 out of 10 performances ever….Nevermind 4 games out of 5.
Preach!

Withnail

63 caps for his country wouldn't exactly support your valuation of the player would it? To add to that he has played his best football for his country during his time at utd.
I think you're missing the point. I said I was playing devil's advocate. Although, I don't think any of what you said is relevant in an under-performing team though and certainly international performances don't play into him being considered a United legend.

Given the players we've had at the club he'd need to do a lot more, especially in big games and would probably need to be part of a title winning team as that's the standard.

Quinze

If he leads us to PL or CL glory? Sure. Otherwise, I don't see what legendary feat he has achieved besides being the best of a poor bunch.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Our fan base really don't deserve Bruno.

dubplate warrior

Rather its you who isn't any good at understanding football, hence such a fallacious claim hails from you
He's not very good, loses the ball way too much doing brain dead decisions and is annoying as hell to watch.

I don't even think he's better than what Coutinho was at Liverpool. He wouldn't start for City, Arsenal or Liverpool. He's not levels as much as you wish he was.

ROFLUTION

So you went from random hysterics to widely off the mark assumptions. Cool, can we get back to the matter at hand?

For clarification - there's no arrogance in asking you to get back on track if you're emotionally veering off-topic. This is a thread about the supposed merits an argument of Bruno Fernandes as United legend, has. Evidently some think he's already one, which I find wild. For you to use that as a segue for "been our best performer almost every year since joining, but yeah let’s slag him off and pretend United will turn everything around completely as soon as he’s gone." is odd.
“Emotionally veering off topic?” :lol: What a load of nonsense. You display arrogance, yet dont enter the debate with any useful arguments at all, then just try to slag off people who actually do come up with arguments. If you disagree, at least do use arguments/point out where you disagree. Else this forum would just be like 4 year olds yelling at each other, which is frankly what your post reminds me of. Boring stuff.

dubplate warrior

Been our best performer almost every year since joining, but yeah let’s slag him off and pretend United will turn everything around completely as soon as he’s gone.
We've not actually been any good barring a few fits and spurts since he's been here.

ROFLUTION

No he hasn’t. Bar the first 12 months he hasn’t performed consistently well at all. He’s just played regularly. His performances the season Ronaldo was here were abysmal and he cost us in massive moments. Last season Casemiro, Martinez, Rashford and Shaw were consistently very good and Bruno was not. He’s also been dreadful in almost all the big games he’s featured in.

There’s little point in asking you, if you think he played as well as Ronaldo did in 21/22 and Casemiro last season because you were watching not with eyes.
So, you’re subjective, I’m subjective. But is it really necessary to call me not watching with eyes? I mean come on, we can disagree but .. this? I’ve watched every game like you probably have. At least I can respect you have a different opinion than me.

I just dont see Bruno being as bad as you’ve mentioned. To me he’s been carrying the team on many occasions and Ronaldo’s season was only good on paper imo. He didnt run for the team, he created a toxic atmosphere, all at the cost of a team (including Bruno) that was worse off with him here imo.

Teja

Nah, he's my favorite player currently but it's hard to see him at the same level as guys like Rooney, Ronaldo, Keane, Giggs, Beckham etc. It's also hard to remember many games where he was absolutely impossible to defend. All these guys had atleast a few games every season where they were like the sheer force of nature.

SER19

Has to be a key part of winning a big trophy unfortunately.

Denis79

If he quits now, nope not a legend. If he continues to play like he has this season for another 5 years not then either. But if he would go back to the form of his first season and captain us to a dramatic PL win, maybe.

GazTheLegend

@Scandi Red the 7500 united away fans were singing Solskjaer songs throughout the match on Monday. Make no mistake Solskjaer is still a legend in Manchester.

hobbers

But those aren’t relevant to your campaign to crucify Bruno for team failings? Gotcha.
The point, obviously, is that the team wilts in any adverse circumstance and as we all know, he is wilter-in-chief. He also lacks the ability and composure to impose himself on big games.

Under 3 different managers, but the same Bruno. 1 win in 17.

The thread is about whether a mediocre whingebag who has never taken one of these games by the scruff of the neck should be a club legend, remember.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Also: we were worse before he came here.
That doesn’t actually play out.

Going off full seasons Bruno has been here for 3 seasons 22/23, 21/22, 20/21 in comparison to 3 seasons prior (excluding 19/20 where he came over halfway through) 16/17, 17/18, 18/19

with Bruno

w60 d27 l27 gf188 ga144 pts207

pre Bruno

w62 d30 l22 gf187 ga111 pts216

We won more, drew more and lost less before he came…We conceded 25% less goals before he came.

We also won more trophies.

El Jefe

Players achieve legendary status mainly from what they do in the biggest moments like Ole, Robson or Giggs or by leading us to titles with consistent performances like Scholes, Ruud, Vidic. Then there are players that combine both like Keane, Cantona, Rooney and Ronaldo.

What is Bruno's biggest individual moment as a United player? I have no bloody idea and in years to come will remember his big game stinkers more than any actual performance. On the second point, he only has one trophy here which is a measly Carabao cup and if anyone led us to that it was probably Casemiro.

Players like Gerrard, Totti, Griezmann, Shearer and Vardy were in positions where their teams weren't the strongest but still had their campaign where they led their team with inspiring moments to win big trophies. An exception to this is Kane and Son but compare their individual honours to Bruno and you seen they are a different tier of player.

If Bruno is a legend then you open the door to people like Rashford, Berbatov and Nani who obviously aren't legends either.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
&quot;like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The point, obviously, is that the team wilts in any adverse circumstance and as we all know, he is wilter-in-chief. He also lacks the ability and composure to impose himself on big games.

Under 3 different managers, but the same Bruno. 1 win in 17.

The thread is about whether a mediocre whingebag who has never taken one of these games by the scruff of the neck should be a club legend, remember.
And I’m not arguing that he should be a club legend. Just highlighting the terrible logic in your posts. Which is about as interesting as this ridiculous thread gets.

Cloud7

It's difficult to label someone a Manchester United legend if they're not a major part of us winning some major trophies, I think. The bar will obviously be different for United and other clubs. Added to that Bruno himself is an extremely inconsistent player who is frustrating half the time.