Will Bruno achieve legend status at utd?

CallyRed

That performance last season against Liverpool is certainly legendary

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Well top two of our performers every year then. And some of your mentions are debatable imo. All in all his performances are still quite stable and on a high level. His two first seasons were stand out and he carried the team. Since then his performances has still been close or more than just on par with Casemiro, Ronaldo if you ask me. He avoids injuries and therefore is also a bigger benefit to the team than Shaw/Martinez imo, as the fall off when going to their backups is quite big.

No other players have really done what he has here for many years albeit he’s not his best atm. Too much recency bias imo.
No he hasn’t. Bar the first 12 months he hasn’t performed consistently well at all. He’s just played regularly. His performances the season Ronaldo was here were abysmal and he cost us in massive moments. Last season Casemiro, Martinez, Rashford and Shaw were consistently very good and Bruno was not. He’s also been dreadful in almost all the big games he’s featured in.

There’s little point in asking you, if you think he played as well as Ronaldo did in 21/22 and Casemiro last season because you were watching not with eyes.

Winrar

For him to achieve a United legend status, he would've had to lead us to winning at least one major trophy (a.k.a. PL/CL) or hell, at the bare minimum put up serious challenges to win those. Doesn't look like that will happen any time soon.

Tarrou

I don't think he's close

he'd have to stay another few years and help us win our first PL since SAF, which seems unlikely

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Excellent baiting from the OP. It was an inevitability that @Jeppers7 and @NZT-One would collectively lose their minds over the mere suggestion of Bruno being a United legend. Such a shame zaafi is seemingly banned from the caf otherwise this thread would be 10 pages long already.

hobbers

In the last 2 and a half seasons Bruno has played 90 minutes in 17 away games against City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Newcastle, Brighton.

In those 17 games we won once. And lost 12 times. We scored 16 and conceded 45.

Bruno scored 0 goals and had 3 assists in those 17 games.

Matt007a

No. He’s a very good player, playing for us in a bad period and he’s in no way a club legend.

To become a club legend with just a few cups in your locker you’ve got to be extraordinary, like a Bryan Robson. A world class player would die on the pitch for his team.

Even if you’re winning trophies you’ve got to have that extra something about you I think. Something that connects with the fans. Bruno doesn’t have it. None of our current squad do.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
These threads become kind of pointless if the posters writing "no" don't post a few examples of players barely making the cut.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
In the last 2 and a half seasons Bruno has played 90 minutes in 17 away games against City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Newcastle, Brighton.

In those 17 games we won once. And lost 12 times. We scored 16 and conceded 45.

Bruno scored 0 goals and had 3 assists in those 17 games.
Those stats are a real surprise, considering we've been such a dominant team over the last two and a half seasons...

Surely, if Shaun Goater can be a City legend, Bruno can be considered a United legend? Titles aren't everything.

white text

black country red

Yes it’s all bullshite you got to win the league or the European cup/ champions league I’ll state two legends that never won either Willie Morgan and Martin buchan

hobbers

Those stats are a real surprise, considering we've been such a dominant team over the last two and a half seasons...
What happens when you rely on weak characters with middling ability to be leaders.

We won 9 in 16 of the home fixtures over the same period so it's not a question of team quality.

UpWithRivers

Surely, if Shaun Goater can be a City legend, Bruno can be considered a United legend? Titles aren't everything.

white text
Sean Goater could be a United Legend in our current team but never a City legend in their current team

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Legendary status as being our worst captain of the last 100 years (but only the ones @DWelbz19 remembers), perhaps?

Last edited:

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
(I consider ALL of the below to be United legends, but I've split them into two groups. The second group consists of players who I have experienced people disagreeing with me on multiple times. So don't shoot the messenger! :lol: )

More or less undisputed United legends
Edwards, Charlton, Law, Best, Robson, Schmeichel, Giggs, Scholes, G.Neville, Irwin, Keane, Cantona, Cole, Stam, Rio, Vidic, Rooney

Seems to be up for debate
Beckham, Solskjær*, Evra, Park, Carrick, De Gea, Ronaldo**

* his reputation (unfairly) took a blow after his managerial stint
** (rightfully) fell down after his second stint

The only thing these all have in common are Premier League/English First Division trophies. Some are there primarily because of their hard work, others for their x factor. Some were at the club for a long time, others for just 3 years.

There are multiple players on this list that Bruno is more talented than. There are multiple players on this list that Bruno will have stuck around for longer than this summer. And in terms of hard work and effort, Bruno does in no way look out of place. The only way to exclude Bruno (provided that you agree on the second group as well) is if you consider winning the PL a necessity in order to be considered a legend. Personally I disagree with this distinction so regardless of happens in the upcoming years Bruno has already done enough to warrant a spot in that second group.
Beckham not a legend?

Withnail

Not unless he starts laying on assists and scoring goals again.

He'd want some big game performances on the way to winning a trophy or two as well. I'm struggling to remember any big game performances from him.

DWelbz19

He’s not even the worst captain of the last two seasons. We did our best to sell our last captain at the end of his first season as captain. Which won’t happen to Bruno.
Far worse player. Disagree about captaincy.

DWelbz19

Living memory is laying it on a bit thick. United were relegated four times in the last 100 years or so.
My living memory doesn't span back that far, sadly.

TsuWave

I'm happy to see De Gea and Carrick get the credit they deserve, but there are also some very interesting omissions there. None of the following made it (the other list is top scorers, not legends): Edwards, Schmeichel, Cantona, Beckham, VDS and Vidic
Cantona is there. The heading is "Legends" - with sub-headings for "top appearances" and "top scorers"

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Cantona is there. The heading is "Legends" - with sub-headings for "top appearances" and "top scorers"
Ah, thank goodness! That saves Beckham too.

Still... So many omissions! Or is "legends" just a misleading heading? :lol: Probably just the most featured players + top scorers. That would explain it.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Bruno Fernandes is:
Our most talented player
Our most important player
Our most consistent player
Arguably our most dedicated player
End of!
He is delivering consistently 5-6 out of 10 performances. That is not a legend.

His biggest strength is that he is always available. The amount of games he played, last year, with zero injuries is insane. He may not be human to have such endurance :) but he plays too many average games for a legend status. I like him but the only thing that saves him from getting criticized more is that he plays in a team that is generally shit. His fans, which I am one of, hope that if we have a better team overall he will also be better, but who knows