Will De Gea reach all time clean sheet record?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I hear what you guys are saying. I've seen every single De Gea United game. And i've seen all the Schmeichel games our national broadcaster permitted me to see back in the day. I disagree with you lot, but it seems like i'm alone with my opinion. Fair enough.
You're not. I wish for a different sort of keeper than De Gea. There's a lot more to goalkeeping than making spectacular saves.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Thank god Ten Hag is level headed and not as knee jerky as half the Caf. Caf would have different keeper every few games.
No, we’d just have a different keeper to DG, made far too many mistakes now. He’ll be panicking since we signed butland today.

Dan_F

I hear what you guys are saying. I've seen every single De Gea United game. And i've seen all the Schmeichel games our national broadcaster permitted me to see back in the day. I disagree with you lot, but it seems like i'm alone with my opinion. Fair enough.
I don’t think many are saying that De Gea is currently better than big Pete, but you’re also debating who is the best goalkeeper for a club that’s almost 150 years old. It’s hard to find keepers.

I think Allison is the ideal blend of sweeping, 1v1 and shot stopping, Liverpool paid 80 million for him five years ago. We’d be quoted over £100 million now. We’ve seen with teams like Chelsea, those average all round keepers are generally pretty crap anyway.

NinjaZombie

yeah, people do forget Big Pete's mistakes. I think at his very very best Schmeichal was the one capable of putting in unreal performances but VDS was probably the more consistent of the two. I'd pick Schmeichal for how he was at his best but I can think of very few absolute howlers from VDS.
I can only remember the one against WBA at home. I think that was the only home league game we failed to win at OT that season. But at least it didn't cost us a CL place eh.

Dominos

When he makes a mistake it's usually an absolute howler that it's almost absurd a professional goalkeeper could make an error that bad.

Even in one of his "good" seasons he's got the Brentford howler and Everton howler to his name and we're not even half way through the season.

Brunsama

Definitely not alone in your opinion. He’s statistically the 4th worst keeper in the league and he’s consistently been below average for the past few years.

This particular mistake was also pretty atrocious :lol:.

ETH has done a great job preventing the number/quality of shots we face. If we can get a real top keeper in we’ll have a world class defensive unit.

Møllemanden

Welcome to the internet, where recency bias deletes long term contributions in an instant.
I'm not asking Ten Hag to bench De Gea, but I honestly do feel that most people forget how many ridiculous goals De Gea has conceded during the years. I'm not saying that he's not a good goalkeeper, but I think there are many better options out there. His consistensy of poor goals conceded makes the team vulnerable. Defenders are less comfortable around a goalie like De Gea, compared to VDS and Peter. That's my point.

Idxomer

Mentioning other keepers' mistakes doesn't make sense because De Gea has been doing those types of mistakes frequently for the last 5 seasons.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
You said De Gea was never close to the best in the world. When for years he was well thought of as exactly in that conversation.
no idea who by when Neuer was obviously that. DDG showing just why Spain didn't want him near the team tonight

paulscholes18

I can only remember the one against WBA at home. I think that was the only home league game we failed to win at OT that season. But at least it didn't cost us a CL place eh.
Forgot about that one, the one I thought of was Vs Liverpool believe it was a Wes Brown own goal.

GwynnieJ

Because one mistake deletes all the good games before, if only real world worked like that. :houllier:
Welcome to the internet, where recency bias deletes long term contributions in an instant.
Dodgy keeper label sticks. Ignorant to call it recency bias when it has been a part of his game all his career. There's a reason why he was watching the world cup on his TV while Brentford and Brighton keepers were in Qatar ahead of him. Also a reason why United are desperate to cut his wages. Wouldn't even be a conversation about it his long term contributions were so good.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
no idea who by when Neuer was obviously that. DDG showing just why Spain didn't want him near the team tonight
You can't be serious. Pundits, fans and media alike rated him right up there.

Not now, but a mistake tonight doesn't change the past.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
You can't be serious. Pundits, fans and media alike rated him right up there.

Not now, but a mistake tonight doesn't change the past.
you're saying he was better than Neuer? sorry, just no. never head pundits say DDG was best in the world

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
yeah, people do forget Big Pete's mistakes. I think at his very very best Schmeichal was the one capable of putting in unreal performances but VDS was probably the more consistent of the two. I'd pick Schmeichal for how he was at his best but I can think of very few absolute howlers from VDS.
Yeah of the 3 VDS made the least (obvious) errors. Certainly that I can remember. On the flip side I think Schmeichel and DDG have won us more games on their own. VDS I think had the best centre backs in from of him as well. Swings and roundabouts but if I was rating them I'd go Schmeichel (just) over Edwin and Dave third. All great though and head and shoulders above every other keeper at United in my lifetime.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
you're saying he was better than Neuer? sorry, just no. never head pundits say DDG was best in the world
It's very bizarre that you didn't given he was regularly described as such by pundits and commentators during his peak years. It's one thing to say they were wrong but it's very strange to not have heard them say it.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
It's very bizarre that you didn't given he was regularly described as such by pundits and commentators during his peak years. It's one thing to say they were wrong but it's very strange to not have heard them say it.
which pundits said it: never heard it from gary neviile or keano or rio or even souness or carragher

Balljy

I can't think of many proper mistakes by Schmeichel while he played for us. VDS was more conventional at times and he maybe came across as safer due to that but I'd pick the former any day. De Gea is what you're saying about Schmeichel for me, at his peak he's fantastic on his day but too many howlers to be in the same category as those two.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I thought I was losing the plot pal - he was well regarded as right up there for years by almost everyone :lol:

Rival bitter fans would say how we were utter sh!t, but give De Gea his dues!

Obviously that World cup seemed to break him, as he came back and made tonnes of errors and all such talk ended.

However, last season and a half he's been much much better like old times, bar tonight!!

krazyrobus

I can't think of many proper mistakes by Schmeichel while he played for us. VDS was more conventional at times and he maybe came across as safer due to that but I'd pick the former any day. De Gea is what you're saying about Schmeichel for me, at his peak he's fantastic on his day but too many howlers to be in the same category as those two.
Check out 99 season, can probably find a road to CL 99 on youtube, you will see some.

NinjaZombie

That disallowed goal. Could he have came out and try to affect something before the ball came to Calvert-Lewin? Looked like he was aware and anticipating the cross to come in judging by the little movement he did with his right hand when DCL made contact.

Balljy

Check out 99 season, can probably find a road to CL 99 on youtube, you will see some.
I saw all those games at the time. He had some, but so has any keeper. He had far less than most and a similar amount to VDS over their United careers. They were both great players for us.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
which pundits said it: never heard it from gary neviile or keano or rio or even souness or carragher
Several of those exact pundits, for a start. You can hear Keane and Rio say he's the best goalkeeper in the world in the below video (along with the likes of Lampard, Fletcher, Given, Scholes, etc)

And Carragher regularly did. Like here:

“From what I see, if I was picking a world XI then David de Gea would be in it. We are lucky that we have the Premier League’s greatest-ever goalkeeper here,” he added, sitting alongside Schmeichel, “but I think De Gea is second."
Here:

Unfortunately I am going to have to start with a Manchester United player [in my team of the season], who I actually think is the best keeper in the world at the moment.”
Here (while talking about Alison):

Klopp is reaping the rewards of signing a goalkeeper with the potential to become the world's best. When was the last time an Anfield keeper was staking such a claim? For the last three years this title has been David De Gea's. The performance he gave away at Arsenal last season was the best I have ever seen from a goalkeeper.
And so on. If you watch back videos of De Gea's highlights from that time with commentary you'll also hear commentators describe him as "the best in the world", "arguably the best in the world", etc.

As I say, you can think they were all wrong to think that. But it's weird that you missed it being said given you presumably followed us throughout that period where he was the PL goalkeeper of the year in five out of six years, which naturally generated that discussion.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I saw all those games at the time. He had some, but so has any keeper. He had far less than most and a similar amount to VDS over their United careers. They were both great players for us.
I’m sure your memory of a season from over 20 years ago where coverage was somewhat limited is 100% reliable.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Big critic of his but he's done better of late (tonight aside). Wouldn't renew his contract though.

Balljy

I’m sure your memory of a season from over 20 years ago where coverage was somewhat limited is 100% reliable.
As compared to one from the VDS period? I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean anyway as it's normally pretty clear what players are better when it comes to the absolute top and Schmeichel was in that exclusive list.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
As compared to one from the VDS period? I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean anyway as it's normally pretty clear what players are better when it comes to the absolute top and Schmeichel was in that exclusive list.
Your initial comment was “I can't think of many proper mistakes by Schmeichel while he played for us”, to which you were told to go back and watch footage because there were plenty, but you think your memory is sufficient to not have to go and watch back.

My comment in reply to that is pretty self explanatory.

Balljy

Your initial comment was “I can't think of many proper mistakes by Schmeichel while he played for us”, to which you were told to go back and watch footage because there were plenty, but you think your memory is sufficient to not have to go and watch back.

My comment in reply to that is pretty self explanatory.
The comment in response was related specifically to 1999,. I can't remember many mistakes apart from one major one and from looking I can't find any more (although there is likely to be I'm sure). I'm happy to be corrected if there's more but there was no video linked in the post to show them. Coverage was pretty good then by the way.

I do remember a bad spell for him in the early 99 season, but he turned it around in the second half.

It's probably the wrong thread for this anyway.

Last edited:

fallengt

He seems to make weirdest mistakes. And by weird i mean wtf?
As if he thought he was in some sort of charity match.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
There was one year where he was widely believed to be the best, but that was more due to Neuer having a dodgy season. Overall he was generally considered second to Neuer during that period.

On the one hand, being second to Neuer isn't exactly harsh criticism (probably the best keeper in history). On the other, it was at a time where there was very little competition, with the older guys either retired or not as good anymore and the next generation not having stepped up yet. He probably wouldn't have been second if it had been 5 years earlier or 5 years later.