Will Jose be sacked if he is going to do LVG 2015-16 and finish outside top 4?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
No he wouldn't. Moyes and Van Gaal were sacked because the board recognised that things weren't working. Players were unhappy and no doubt agents made that clear.

Like it or not, Mourinho has the respect of the board and holds respect in the football world as a top class manager that top players want to play for. To sack him would be stupid while he's still building a squad. It would be back to square one as you couldn't guarantee the manager coming in could work with our highest profile players.

People need to have a bit of patience. Rome wasn't build in a day.
This a 100%.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Jose will be sacked if he loses the dressing room; which will invariably mean that we finish outside the top 4.

We have 3 home games against rivals left; if they put in gutless performances again then its safe to say that the dressing room has been lost.

Rajma

No he wouldn't. Moyes and Van Gaal were sacked because the board recognised that things weren't working. Players were unhappy and no doubt agents made that clear.

Like it or not, Mourinho has the respect of the board and holds respect in the football world as a top class manager that top players want to play for. To sack him would be stupid while he's still building a squad. It would be back to square one as you couldn't guarantee the manager coming in could work with our highest profile players.

People need to have a bit of patience. Rome wasn't build in a day.
Imo if come summer we're not in the top 4 that would imply he lost the respect inside the dressing room by that time and there would be no way back from that.

Borden

I'm convinced some people here would defend Mourinho even if he got us relegated.

Finishing outside the top 4 twice in a row with this squad and this level of financial support is absolutely, 100%, every day of the week, a sackable offence. Van Gaal was sacked for less, and he even won a proper trophy during his time here.

Rajma

I'm convinced some people here would defend Mourinho even if he got us relegated.

Finishing outside the top 4 twice in a row with this squad and this level of financial support is absolutely, 100%, every day of the week, a sackable offence.
That honestly shouldn't even be a debate.

AndyJ1985

If we finish outside the top 4 he should definitely be sacked. Playing shit football is bad enough, but bad results isn't acceptable.

Borden

That honestly shouldn't even be a debate.
Nope, and yet somehow it is. If Mourinho were to finish 5th and not win the CL/FA cup he will have managed the impressive feat of performing worse than van Gaal, and yet some are still saying he shouldn't be sacked. Boggles the mind.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Jose won't be sacked as long as he can demonstrate that the team has indeed progressed from where we were last season. Claiming progress has been achieved vis-à-vis last season if we finish outside of the top 4 will be a tough sell.

CL runners-up and FA Cup win? I'd say mission accomplished even if we don't make the cut for the CL in 2018-2019. Will the board agree? I'm tempted to say "yes", and even not winning the FA Cup would not be a major blow in this case. I don't know what the reaction would be if we're just quarter or semi finalists though.

I don't know what the board will decide. But I'll tentatively wager that they estimated that we would finish in the top 4 this season when they were pondering over JM's contract extension. I believe that unless something truly catastrophic happens, we won't drop out of the top 4. And if something truly catastrophic does happen, and JM is the main reason for that, the board may start to think that a sacking is definitely warranted. And I would tend to agree.

desmondisback

I hope not. We can't keep sacking managers. Besides, who else would you have?

As a club you sack a manager because it's the right decision , not because you have sacked before. What happened with Moyes , LVG is irrelevant. If it's the right decision then the past doesn't factor into it.

My feeling is that the last 3 managers Moyes , LVG and Jose are all managers with their best days behind them. I believe that history will show that the careers of these three managers peaked before they got to United. We are going for reputation but in fact what we are getting is managers past their sell by date.

What we need is an up and coming manager who to a certain extent is slightly unproven and will peak with us. I like Eddie Howe and maybe Poch. I also think there are some good managers in the Championship. Look at what Santo is doing at Wolves. They are playing some really , really great football and he's instilled a never say die attitude in them. Imagine him with United's resources? We could snap him up quickly before someone else does. I think we need someone with fresh ideas and without the baggage that a Jose brings.

Santo might work , he might not....but it would be so interesting to see what might happen. I feel with Jose I already know the direction we are headed. In big games it will be bus parking , slow attacking and frustration. At least a Santo would get me out of my seat.

Jonno

Finishing outside the top 4 twice in a row with this squad and this level of financial support is absolutely, 100%, every day of the week, a sackable offence. Van Gaal was sacked for less, and he even won a proper trophy during his time here.
So Mourinho hasn't won a proper trophy here?

Van Gaal made the squad and the results progressively worse.

Mourinho has made the squad and the results progressively better.

I don't quite understand how taking a team from 6th to 2nd and drastically improving the playing staff can't be seen as a positive.

If we do end up outside of the top 4, it will be a failure, but it's imcomparable to the failures LVG brought to Manchester United. We're still repairing the damage nearly 2 years on.

diplomat

It would be one of our biggest failures in club history to not finish in the top 4 this season, considering the amount of investing and new top class players being brought in. No way Mourinho survives that, unless we win the CL by some miracle.

soapythecat

Jose should be sacked for finishing outside of the top 2, let alone the top 4, given how much he has spent.
I do seriously fear for our top 4 place, because all the other teams around us are playing better (aside from Chelsea maybe). We look a weak team mentally that can't pull back from going behind. We don't even look like they want to win a game half the time.
The only plus of finishing out of the top 4 will be the sacking of Jose. I want CL football but I also want him out of the club.....I hope he walks then I don't have to choose.

Zahed

As a club you sack a manager because it's the right decision , not because you have sacked before. What happened with Moyes , LVG is irrelevant. If it's the right decision then the past doesn't factor into it.

My feeling is that the last 3 managers Moyes , LVG and Jose are all managers with their best days behind them. I believe that history will show that the careers of these three managers peaked before they got to United. We are going for reputation but in fact what we are getting is managers past their sell by date.

What we need is an up and coming manager who to a certain extent is slightly unproven and will peak with us. I like Eddie Howe and maybe Poch. I also think there are some good managers in the Championship. Look at what Santo is doing at Wolves. They are playing some really , really great football and he's instilled a never say die attitude in them. Imagine him with United's resources? We could snap him up quickly before someone else does. I think we need someone with fresh ideas and without the baggage that a Jose brings.

Santo might work , he might not....but it would be so interesting to see what might happen. I feel with Jose I already know the direction we are headed. In big games it will be bus parking , slow attacking and frustration. At least a Santo would get me out of my seat.
Agree with 95% of this. We need progressive manager but Santo probably not the man. Looking more and more like Pochetino is the real deal.

Zahed

Jose will be sacked if he loses the dressing room; which will invariably mean that we finish outside the top 4.

We have 3 home games against rivals left; if they put in gutless performances again then its safe to say that the dressing room has been lost.
Losing the dressing room seems to have happened already. There is no passion, no desire to win, unhappy faces and pedestrian football. When was the last time Pogba did a dab!!

Zahed

4 points better off than last season after 27 games and we are 2nd in the table. The same points total last season would have us in 4th place. After spending another £150 million, is this really progress? Never mind the dire football being played!

p2pZeus

the sack watch will be running if he doesnt reach CL final, regardless what happens in league :)

diplomat

4 points better off than last season after 27 games and we are 2nd in the table. The same points total last season would have us in 4th place. After spending another £150 million, is this really progress? Never mind the dire football being played!
That's seriously damning if true and puts the whole "improvement" into question.

I firmly believe the only difference from last season is the team is a little bit more clinical and we don't draw games as often. However we might end up losing more games in the end of the season as in the league, we already have 5 losses, as much as the whole last season.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If we don't make top 4 then Ed and the Glazers will at a minimum have a bit of thinking to do. Unlike LvG's final year, Mourinho doesn't have a Mourinho lurking about, waiting to take the job, so it may not be as cut and dry as what many would expect.

AndyJ1985

In terms of how we play I think the progress has been minimal. We've turned a few draws in to wins, but other than that we have the same issues as last season. We're not particularly entertaining and we play like 11 strangers. Not sure what they all do in training.

Lentwood

Nope, and yet somehow it is. If Mourinho were to finish 5th and not win the CL/FA cup he will have managed the impressive feat of performing worse than van Gaal, and yet some are still saying he shouldn't be sacked. Boggles the mind.
I imagine you wanted Alex Ferguson out after a couple of seasons then?

I also bet if I asked who you would replace Jose with, you would give me a name of some likeable but trophyless manager like Poch

L1nk

I imagine you wanted Alex Ferguson out after a couple of seasons then?

I also bet if I asked who you would replace Jose with, you would give me a name of some likeable but trophyless manager like Poch
Trophyless, trophyless, trophyless, I swear it's all anybody cares about and they take no other factors into consideration at all, do you honestly believe, with how we've played under Mourinho, we'd of gone 2-0 down to Juventus tonight and then battled back like Spurs did, has he honestly inspired that confidence? It's okay when the team has a clear direction it's going in, or has signs of improvement, but if he finishes 5th and we don't win the CL he has to go, simply because it's a massive failure considering the massive amounts of money spent and a failure in terms of getting this team to play cohesive football and get the results, especially compared to last season. Don't harp on about wanting Ferguson out when he started, football is in a completely different era now and he didn't have nearly the amount of talent and money spent that Mourinho has at his disposal right now

JMack1234

If we finish 2nd and win the FA cup we've had a good season in my opinion. It's not what we want ideally BUT there are clear signs of progression and I think we'd all feel relatively good about ourselves going into the closed season.

Solver

It would be one of our biggest failures in club history to not finish in the top 4 this season, considering the amount of investing and new top class players being brought in. No way Mourinho survives that, unless we win the CL by some miracle.
my fear too; I really wonder what has happened to Mourinho

Solver

Don't want imagine that.
understood but if the dour football being served, the most expensive players being confused by tactics supplied and promising youth being sidelined, inevitably whispers start from the dressing room and then things fall apart

kr0nix

I wouldn't want Mourinho fired just yet, but missing out on a Champions League place would be inexcusable and indubitably Jose's failure alone.

kr0nix

If we don't make top 4 then Ed and the Glazers will at a minimum have a bit of thinking to do. Unlike LvG's final year, Mourinho doesn't have a Mourinho lurking about, waiting to take the job, so it may not be as cut and dry as what many would expect.
If the board had any doubts they should have held off on renewing his contract until the end of the season at the very least. Should we miss out on top 4, I reckon they will stick with Mourinho for this reason, unless they have inserted a performance-based clause into the contract (which they may well have).
Hypothetically, should Mourinho be fired, who would you like to see take his place?

ghagua

He should be fired if he misses out on the top 4 on top of the team playing dire football, but will he. I have my doubts as he is master at deflecting blame.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If the board had any doubts they should have held off on renewing his contract until the end of the season at the very least. Should we miss out on top 4, I reckon they will stick with Mourinho for this reason, unless they have inserted a performance-based clause into the contract (which they may well have).
Hypothetically, should Mourinho be fired, who would you like to see take his place?
I get the same impression. There has to be an opt out clause that the club could trigger if we fail to meet certain performance targets. Otherwise, I don't see Mourinho leaving as another managerial change with all the predictable player movements it would entail, would necessarily bring better results.

If Jose leaves then I am definitely in the Poch camp. We would need a distinctly more attack oriented approach and Poch has demonstrated he can make his clubs punch above their collective weight, so it would (imo) be his to lose.

Seven Seas Sardines

I get the same impression. There has to be an opt out clause that the club could trigger if we fail to meet certain performance targets. Otherwise, I don't see Mourinho leaving as another managerial change with all the predictable player movements it would entail, would necessarily bring better results.

If Jose leaves then I am definitely in the Poch camp. We would need a distinctly more attack oriented approach and Poch has demonstrated he can make his clubs punch above their collective weight, so it would (imo) be his to lose.
Poch, Dembele and Kane please. Can see underpaid Tottenham stars going with him wherever he goes next.

ThatAsianChap

He is one of the best managers to grace the game so let us give him more time. There is an extension he has penned so clearly Ed/Glazers have confidence in him.

Having said that , Jose has to earn the right to spend more. 200m in the last two years should be enough to maul the likes of Newcastle, Leicester, Southampton and the likes and at least put up a fight against the likes of City and Chelsea.

Our play has been LVG-like but I believe we have the man to undo this

beingshe7don

No matter how badly Pogba plays, he's our main player that we plan on building our team around for years to come. It's plain old logic, you play your best player (whom you plan on building the team around) in their best position and everyone is aware than Pogba plays his best football in a 4-3-3 left sided midfield. Pogba has been the reason why we've attracted quite a few players. He will also be the reason why we'll attract more world class players to OT. He and Mourinho seem to be having some sort of a sour relationship going on which is very evident on the field and that transpires throughout the team. Mourinho losing Pogba automatically implies that he loses the dressing room. United would have to sack Mourinho then since they can't afford to sell Pogba. To make matters worse, Raiola doesn't look happy at the way Mhiki was treated, Ibrahimovic is on the way out and Pogba is getting the cold treatment as well. At the rate at which we are going, I won't be surprised Lukaku also getting the cold treatment. Bottom line is we need to have our players play in their best position and play a better formation which means fluid attacking football. Mourinho does not seem to change his ways and I feel we would need to bring in someone else. At this point, I wouldn't even mind getting Tuchel to bring back the United attacking way of play.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Sack Jose, hire Mourinho. Send Jose back to Holland, find a hotel for Mourinho to live in. Our performances have been unacceptable.
Death or the gladioli!

beedoubleyou

No matter how badly Pogba plays, he's our main player that we plan on building our team around for years to come. It's plain old logic, you play your best player (whom you plan on building the team around) in their best position and everyone is aware than Pogba plays his best football in a 4-3-3 left sided midfield. Pogba has been the reason why we've attracted quite a few players. He will also be the reason why we'll attract more world class players to OT. He and Mourinho seem to be having some sort of a sour relationship going on which is very evident on the field and that transpires throughout the team. Mourinho losing Pogba automatically implies that he loses the dressing room. United would have to sack Mourinho then since they can't afford to sell Pogba. To make matters worse, Raiola doesn't look happy at the way Mhiki was treated, Ibrahimovic is on the way out and Pogba is getting the cold treatment as well. At the rate at which we are going, I won't be surprised Lukaku also getting the cold treatment. Bottom line is we need to have our players play in their best position and play a better formation which means fluid attacking football. Mourinho does not seem to change his ways and I feel we would need to bring in someone else. At this point, I wouldn't even mind getting Tuchel to bring back the United attacking way of play.
Maybe we should make Raiola the manager and build a statue of each of his expensive, yet underwhelming players in the hope of attracting more star players who will absolutely not perform if asked to play a role that is in the slightest bit different to the one they once played well in at another club, several years ago. Yeah this is exciting. I fecking love these meltdowns.