William Keane

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles

Looking ahead to the future, the Manchester United product has not ruled out a return in the future.

He added: “I think as a whole it’s been positive. I have had plenty of minutes on the pitch and had a role to play in the team.

“There have been plenty of ups and downs and I’ll take a lot from it.

“I have to go back to United after the weekend and I’ll re-assess things.

“If my options are limited at United I will look at my options and I would like to think that this club would be one.”

Last edited:

Sid234

Nice to see Rio still following the progress of our youth players

Roman Bellic

Prick
He has been loaned out more times than he has featured for us, cant believe his agent hasn't insisted on a permanent move for his client.

mo0

well, there was the whole knee injury thing which put a wrinkle in his first team plans.

also, what about the player? maybe he doesn't want that move away just yet. if at all.

Sid234

He was playing well at Wednesday before he fell ill or picked a minor injury, don't remember which, but it took him quite a while to recover from thafind to get going again.

Hopefully he settles in well at Preston and can stay injury free, will be scoring loads of goals soon enough

Loublaze

ATLien
He has been loaned out more times than he has featured for us, cant believe his agent hasn't insisted on a permanent move for his client.
Same thing. I don't see the point of another loan spell, he'll be 23 on his return. Hopefully its the last one.

Loublaze

ATLien
If he's not good enough right now when we have a 19 year old striker in the first team squad then we might as well sell him. I've never been impressed with the Keane brothers (at a United level).

jb8521

If he's not good enough right now when we have a 19 year old striker in the first team squad then we might as well sell him. I've never been impressed with the Keane brothers (at a United level).
Either theres a huge amount of revisionism going on here or you must not have watched Will before his injury. He was comfortably the best striker around his age in the country.

TheCorkman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Did you not see him as a 18/19 year old? Jesus....around the time he got his debut he was winning games on his own in the u21's. His 5 goals vs Newcastle in particular was incredible.

Brightonian

Did you not see him as a 18/19 year old? Jesus....around the time he got his debut he was winning games on his own in the u21's. His 5 goals vs Newcastle in particular was incredible.
He was as good as Wilson, no doubt. The injury is really all that separates them. But the fact remains that it does - Keane is not only behind in terms of his age, but also not back to the same level he was at before. It's harsh, but LouBlaze has a point. There's no particular reason to keep Keane around when we have the better, younger James Wilson.

Loublaze

ATLien
Either theres a huge amount of revisionism going on here or you must not have watched Will before his injury. He was comfortably the best striker around his age in the country.
The coaches must be seeing something else then....why is Wilson getting more senior games than Keane ever did at the same age? His only senior app came back in 2011 as a late sub and he's been underwhelming on his loans. He has 26 senior level apps and 3 goals (and those 3 all came last season).

He's nothing special. We had players in the past like Josh King, Campbell, Mads Timm and Sylvan Ebanks-Blake who all looked special in the youth ranks but in the end they never made the grade at United. All of those players bar Timm have bettered Keane at the same age. Keane should be cut loose. In all honesty I read similar appraisals about his brother Michael and he never impressed me either.

bucky

The coaches must be seeing something else then....why is Wilson getting more senior games than Keane ever did at the same age? His only senior app came back in 2011 as a late sub and he's been underwhelming on his loans. He has 26 senior level apps and 3 goals (and those 3 all came last season).

He's nothing special. We had players in the past like Josh King, Campbell, Mads Timm and Sylvan Ebanks-Blake who all looked special in the youth ranks but in the end they never made the grade at United. All of those players bar Timm have bettered Keane at the same age. Keane should be cut loose. In all honesty I read similar appraisals about his brother Michael and he never impressed me either.
He was and that's probably what they were talking about, not whether or not we should keep him.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...alex-ferguson-confirms-will-keane-injury.aspx

Speaking to ManUtd.com, Sir Alex said: "I'm very, very disappointed for the lad. He was in the first-team squad for next season."
Ferguson clearly rated him and gave him his debut. He knew his strikers.

Loublaze

ATLien
He was and that's probably what they were talking about, not whether or not we should keep him.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...alex-ferguson-confirms-will-keane-injury.aspx

Ferguson clearly rated him and gave him his debut. He knew his strikers.
3 goals in 26 senior games, never stood out in any of his loans. Pretty much says it all. This is is his last chance and he's totally lucky to be even getting it. He'll make a decent backup league one striker.

I understand he was something special in the youth ranks, thats not what my argument as a whole is about.

jb8521

As I said you must not have seen much of him before his injuries. He was in line to become a permanent member of the first team in the summer when he tore his knee ligaments. Keane was rated every bit as highly as Wilson is by the coaches at the same age and was rated higher by the England under age coaches. He only made 1 appearance that season because he had Rooney, Berbatov, Welbeck and Hernandez all ahead of him and all scoring goals. Pogba was the same age and also failed to make many appearances in the same season does that mean the coaches also must not have rated him? He has been underwhelming on his loans but they have all come after his injury. Im not saying we should keep him now as I agree that his chance has passed but to act as if he wasnt impressive before his injury is ridiculous.

Loublaze

ATLien
As I said you must not have seen much of him before his injuries. He was in line to become a permanent member of the first team in the summer when he tore his knee ligaments. Keane was rated every bit as highly as Wilson is by the coaches at the same age and was rated higher by the England under age coaches. He only made 1 appearance that season because he had Rooney, Berbatov, Welbeck and Hernandez all ahead of him and all scoring goals. Pogba was the same age and also failed to make many appearances in the same season does that mean the coaches also must not have rated him? He has been underwhelming on his loans but they have all come after his injury. Im not saying we should keep him now as I agree that his chance has passed but to act as if he wasnt impressive before his injury is ridiculous.
All I said is he never impressed me enough for me to think he had a real future at United. Why should I pretend? That's my opinion, you have yours.

Loublaze

ATLien
Yet you rate Blackett so you're opinion doesn't mean much.

It expires in 2017, he signed a 3-year deal last summer.
Apparently yours doesn't either to me pal. Three goals in 26! The boy Keane is not United material. Feel free to tell me the same about Blackett when/if he gets sold

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Will looked like an exciting talent at a younger age and I always thought was more likely to make it here than his brother. Was gutted when he got injured.

It's easy to come here and proclaim, "was never impressed with him" to project yourself as some kind of visionary, but that is just stupid.

Loublaze

ATLien
Will looked like an exciting talent at a younger age and I always thought was more likely to make it here than his brother. Was gutted when he got injured.

It's easy to come here and proclaim, "was never impressed with him" to project yourself as some kind of visionary, but that is just stupid.
Stupid how? I never once thought either he or his brother would make it at United. Whats so stupid about that? Do you know how many promising youth players have left united without even getting a single first team game?
Keane never impressed me enough for me to see a future for him at United simple as that, sorry it doesn't fall in line with your opinions. Some of the reaction to my comments are ridiculous. How dare I go against the general consensus!?

khoazany

Stupid how? I never once thought either he or his brother would make it at United. Whats so stupid about that? Do you know how many promising youth players have left united without even getting a single first team game?
Keane never impressed me enough for me to see a future for him at United simple as that, sorry it doesn't fall in line with your opinions. Some of the reaction to my comments are ridiculous. How dare I go against the general consensus!?
Just one question - did you watch him before his injury?If yes, tell us about how you're not impressed.

kundalini

Didnt rate him as more than a potential good premier league player either.
Me too. Prior to his injury he looked like a player who could be a decent PL player in his mid to late 20s but he would need lots of playing time to develop, which he was highly unlikely to get at United. Forwards with pace can breakthrough in their late teens or early 20s but those without exceptional pace tend to take much longer.

Having said that, it is very difficult to predict who will get opportunities due to injuries, unexpected departures or first team players being hopelessly out of form.

I don't agree with the Wilson Keane comparison, or at least I think their respective strengths and weaknesses are crucial in determining whether they might be future United players. Wilson's pace makes me think he could have an impact at PL level in the near future, regardless of the weaknesses in his game. Will Keane has/had great technique but I'm not convinced that is sufficient to hurt opposing defences in the PL.

Last edited:

m1y2

the injury killed his career here but with touch of Berbatov and finish of Berbatov he will still be a premiership striker. Hope he does fine..

bdecuc

Genuine shame, that injury. Such an exciting player before it. I'd have backed Keane (pre-injury) slightly ahead of Wilson to make it. I'd say he's been kept around because his potential was so high and there was always that chance that he might recover.

Hope he does well on his loan and gets his mojo back.

Loublaze

ATLien
Just one question - did you watch him before his injury?If yes, tell us about how you're not impressed.
Yes I watched him a few times and yes I wasn't that impressed. Look, he looked good in reserves, tbh I don't easily get impressed or carried away with reserve/U-21 performances because ive seen too many promising kids not make the grade. I know those performances are instrumental in paving the way for these kids but when it comes down to it the real juice is in loan and rare first team opportunities.

Some of you guys act like its impossible for me to say that (not being impressed by your fav youngsters)....like some of these reserve players are little gods or something. You also said United fans would be talking about the club selling Micheal Keane for years to come. I made my opinions over the Keane brothers years ago as far as first team stakes go and it seems i've been proven right. I know people were desperate for them to be the next Neville brothers.

Roman Bellic

Prick
His loan is just an audition. Maybe we'll make a couple million for him next summer.
Well if he manages to score up to 4 goals this time around we might be able to get 750k for him just for his form before his ligament injury.

Revan

Assumptionman

It isn't stupid if that is the case. For example, I never rated Morrison and seems that I was right all along.

Keane was definitely as good (IMO even better) than Wilson as a youngster but his injury pretty much destroyed his career to the degree that now I can't see him being even a starting striker in EPL (maybe not even a backup).

bucky

Lol,people are really defending Will Keane.
Probably down to the fact that local United fans still care about young players from Manchester and nearby areas coming through the ranks and showing a lot of promise. Loving the idea that a local lad could make it in today's football business. Apparently something you would know feck all about.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Probably down to the fact that local United fans still care about young players from Manchester and nearby areas coming through the ranks and showing a lot of promise. Loving the idea that a local lad could make it in today's football business. Apparently something you would know feck all about.
Haha okay, Mr local United fan.

TheCorkman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Oh I agree with you about his situation now - Wilson has surpassed him, I was inferring to his pre-injury time. Maybe the club is sticking with him as he's just had such a rough few years? Possibly the club knows he has so much abiliy and are giving him another opportunity to show it before he's let go? He would've been perfect for us now if he hadn't been injured and had progressed as expected - excellent phsically ,good at holding up the ball, hard worker and an all round excellent finisher.

I agree with you on Michael Keane - I thought thorpe was a much better prospect.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
It isn't stupid if that is the case. For example, I never rated Morrison and seems that I was right all along.

Keane was definitely as good (IMO even better) than Wilson as a youngster but his injury pretty much destroyed his career to the degree that now I can't see him being even a starting striker in EPL (maybe not even a backup).
I am sorry but you weren't right, because it wasn't Ravel's lack of talent that has held him back. He talent was as obvious as it comes.

I do not for a minute dispute that post injury Keane has minimal to zero chance of making it here. The poster said he wasn't impressed by him from the begining but still hasn't been able to provide a single reason as to why he thought that besides some generic line.