Wilshere - where does the hype come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
which is why I am now genuinely bemused Mascherano never featured. You would have expected a player of his calibre to simply take him out of the game.

It's not like Busquets' contribution was seminal to barca's performance.

I don't find it a terribly credible thought, but is Guardiola actually tactically naive?
Its possible. Because of his phenomenal recent success, many forget he is still a mangerial rookie. It could explain why his side sort of struggles away from home in the later stages of the champions league.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
which is why I am now genuinely bemused Mascherano never featured. You would have expected a player of his calibre to simply take him out of the game.

I don't find it a terribly credible thought, but is Guardiola actually tactically naive?
I read Basquets made the second most amount of passes. He recycles the ball very well and is good defensively, but I think they wanted to pass us off the park only for most of their passes and possession to be around their back four. Mascherano just wouldn't work with that game-plan against us.

I think if he really wanted to 'save' the game he'd have brought Mascherano on for Villa, instead of Keita. But I think he was looking for another option to drive at our midfield after they recovered possession.

Maybe after watching Wilshere outshine all the other midfielders throughout the match you'd make a chance to accommodate for his form, but who knows what was going through his head at the time?

Classy Cannon

Left Back <font face="Arial"color="White"> in the
I was stunned by Wilshire's performance. I knew he was good, but his composure in the middle, with Barca midfield all over him, was exceptional. He protects it well, moves it quickly & inventively, plus he can tackle. Credit to Wenger for playing him centrally in big games at such a young age.

Still think Arse were very lucky though, could easily have been 3/4 down first half, then they would have been murdered having to chase the game too much.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I was stunned by Wilshire's performance. I knew he was good, but his composure in the middle, with Barca midfield all over him, was exceptional. He protects it well, moves it quickly & inventively, plus he can tackle. Credit to Wenger for playing him centrally in big games at such a young age.

Still think Arse were very lucky though, could easily have been 3/4 down first half, then they would have been murdered having to chase the game too much.
Just out of interest both sides had five shots on target, and we had one more shot than them in total.

Ekeke

Just out of interest both sides had five shots on target, and we had one more shot than them in total.
Just goes to show how poorly Messi and Pedro did with their clear chances. And why they should have been first choices for forwards being subbed

How many shots on target did you manage against us again? If I recall your first was post 70 minutes.

Classy Cannon

The chances they created & missed early on don't count as shots on target do they. You were getting run ragged & if their finishing had been up to their usual standard you'd have been fecked! Are you seriously telling me you didn't think thank feck for that going in 1-0 down at half time?

I'm not the one who's deluded here.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
:confused:

Relax big guy, who said anything about delusions? All I did was state a simple fact/stat, which was out of interest.

Classy Cannon

:confused:

Relax big guy, who said anything about delusions? All I did was state a simple fact/stat, which was out of interest.
I'm chilled mate :angel: Jo suggested we were being biased, based on your shots on target stat. I'm just saying it's you Gooners who don't want to hear how badly you were ripped apart early on.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

Mascherano played 90 minutes last Saturday, in what was probably Barcelona's worst performance since October. Busquets had been rested for that game having played 90 minutes for Spain mid-week.

Given the mood of the match and the way their players were tiring, I'd have thought Masch could have come on rather than Keita. But I guess Guardiola might have thought that that would destabilise the midfield further and reduce the passing rhythm.

In any case, Mascherano hasn't yet done anything with Barca to give Pep reason to believe that he's a key man.

MG

Barcelona had a perfectly fine goal disallowed. Notice how none of the Arsenal supporters are mentioning that, notice how none of the opposition fans are mentioning it, notice how the papers didn't make a big deal out of it at all.

If United had been playing a team who had a fine goal disallowed there would have been at least 15 mins examination of it, all the opposition supporters would only have discussed that in all their examinations of the game, there would have been calls of bias, favouring from referees and corruption yet again, the papers would have probably mentioned it in the first line of their article...

I know this has nothing to do with Wilshere, I'm just saying.

TheReligion

Abusive
The Arsenal only come out when they have won a match.

They are like cheeky schoolboys who taste a bit of glory then begin throwing around comments like Gibbs is a better player than Rafael.

The game they are beating themselves off to is only at HT.

If they go to the Nou Camp and play like they did at OT this season, they will lose the fixture and be knocked out.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
The Arsenal only come out when they have won a match.

They are like cheeky schoolboys who taste a bit of glory then begin throwing around comments like Gibbs is a better player than Rafael.

The game they are beating themselves off to is only at HT.

If they go to the Nou Camp and play like they did at OT this season, they will lose the fixture and be knocked out.
Well if one of us speaks for all of us then you're all a bunch of morons. I mean I can select one of you lot on here who speaks for the rest of you then, can't I?

TheReligion

Abusive
Well if one of us speaks for all of us then you're all a bunch of morons. I mean I can select one of you lot on here who speaks for the rest of you then, can't I?
I take your point, but the majority of what was said is true.

Look at Gillespie Airlines rearing his head after all this time.

Quite frankly it looks awful.

Devil may care

Arsenal Jack Wilshere can become the new Paul Scholes, according to manager Arsene Wenger - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Arsene Wenger believes Jack Wilshere can follow in the footsteps of Manchester United legend Paul Scholes and become one of the biggest stars in English football.

Wilshere was outstanding for the Gunners during their memorable 2-1 victory over Barcelona in the Champions League and showed he has the ability to compete at the highest level.

Wenger said: "Jack has what you want from a midfielder. He has the side of players like Scholes. He can fight and play.”

rotherham_red

yeap. Loooooooong way to go but it sounds about right.
His display on Wednesday was certainly Scholes-esque, although not a prime Scholes, but the Scholes of today. Dont know if he'll ever get the goals that Scholes got from midfield... What was he like at Reserve level in this regard?

BTW... You lucky bastards :(

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
What a player he is becoming. I wish we could have him in our side.

Ceks

Prefers em hot, and spicy
“We must respect the other fellow’s religion, but
His display on Wednesday was certainly Scholes-esque, although not a prime Scholes, but the Scholes of today. Dont know if he'll ever get the goals that Scholes got from midfield... What was he like at Reserve level in this regard?

BTW... You lucky bastards :(
Scored plenty at youth level, won't be long now before he starts scoring in PL too.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Look at Fabregas and Nasri's transformation. Both came into the side and found their feet first, and after a few seasons at the top they became big scoring threats. I suspect Wilshere will follow the same path.

MacMUFC

Top notch performance from him today. If Arsenal end up trophyless this season, I reckon we could tempt the player himself who could force the clubs hand, or maybe i'm just clutching at straws.

Would love to have him here.

K Stand Knut

Yes - clutching at straws Mac!!!! Doubt he'll leave whilst Arsenal are challenging.

I'd love him at United though. Think he is class and was undoubtedly the ONLY Arsenal player I felt a little bit of sorrow for today. Was very, very good!!!

MacMUFC

Yes - clutching at straws Mac!!!! Doubt he'll leave whilst Arsenal are challenging.

I'd love him at United though. Think he is class and was undoubtedly the ONLY Arsenal player I felt a little bit of sorrow for today. Was very, very good!!!
Gutted he doesnt play for us. Potentially world class midfielder within 3-4 years at this rate.

Less praise, more laughing, closet gunner.
What kind of closet gunner would ask for Wilshere to move to Man Utd.

Shimo

Didn't feel sorry for him one bit. He is becoming heck of a player but, an arrogant Arse player. Good to see him break down like that.

K Stand Knut

I don't think there is any doubt on how good this lad can become but as with my opinion of all Arsenal's youngsters, it is whether he fulfils it at Arsenal or somewhere else.

IMO, I would happily spunk a large chunk of the £80m from Ronaldo on him. If there is actually any of it left

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Felt he was good today, but can't gush with the praise given he was partly culpable for the first goal and Fahey almost notching the second when he hit the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.