Wilshere - where does the hype come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Gibbo has that sort of performance in him.

johnmufc

Wilshere is magnificent.

I never anticipated him to adapt to such a deep role so fast in his career. Wenger has done brilliantly.

English midfielder dominating the likes of Xavi and Iniesta in midfield... maybe the future's not so bleak after all.

He was amazing tonight and definitely Arsenal's best player. I liked the assurance he showed with his passing despite Barca's pressing game. More often than not he continually found his targets when it mattered. If the world didn't know how good he was before, they do now. He gave some of their players a footballing lesson.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
English midfielder dominating the likes of Xavi and Iniesta in midfield... maybe the future's not so bleak after all.

He was amazing tonight and definitely Arsenal's best player. I liked the assurance he showed with his passing despite Barca's pressing game. More often than not he continually found his targets when it mattered. If the world didn't know how good he was before, they do now. He gave some of their players a footballing lesson.
Now THIS is hyperbole rubbish. He was good tonight and did his thing. He didn't dominate anyone and certainly not an out of sorts Iniesta and Xavi.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
What impressed me about Wilshere tonight was his all round play. He worked hard yet looked comfortable on the ball and was always looking for it. He didn't dominate Inesta & Xavi but he did hold up very well against Barcelona's hussle & hurry.

Christofaux

Now THIS is hyperbole rubbish. He was good tonight and did his thing. He didn't dominate anyone and certainly not an out of sorts Iniesta and Xavi.
He's 18 and remained calm and cool against a high pressure Barcelona team. You clearly don't know the value in this.

Plan M

Wilshire is a fantastic little player, would love to have him at United.

If Arsenal can keep him, Ramsey, Nasri and Fabregas, they've got SOME players for the future :nervous:

Jaap

Very, very good last night - neat passing, took it past some players too and kept his head up in tight situations. That was the hardest test he has had in the centre of midfield so far and he took it well.

Biscuit1871

What impressed me about Wilshere tonight was his all round play. He worked hard yet looked comfortable on the ball and was always looking for it. He didn't dominate Inesta & Xavi but he did hold up very well against Barcelona's hussle & hurry.
This is what impressed me. He seemed cool, calm and collected in what was a high pressure match. Gives me hope that he may be able to reproduce that sort of performance for England at a major tournament.

RedRover

This is what impressed me. He seemed cool, calm and collected in what was a high pressure match. Gives me hope that he may be able to reproduce that sort of performance for England at a major tournament.
Too right. He's our great white hope for the future and highlights the major problem - that most young english players aren't comfortable on the ball.

Looks a really top player with supreme confidence. Very impressive.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Yeah, I didn't think he dominated at all (not that you would expect any player to at his age), but it's his composure and quickness of movement with the ball that's most impressive. Not something you usually see in an English midfielder. Only really Scholes who I can think of has a similar looking ease with the ball at his feet.

More recently he's proven he's got a bit of metal when the spotlight's on him too...it's hard not to be impressed. The biggest worry for me would be Wenger and Arsenal's pompous "philosophy" turning him into another Hleb type player. He doesn't seem to have the vision or passing range of someone like Fabregas, or at least he doesn't yet, so it's important he gradually develops some kind of cutting edge and/or bite to his game. There's no reason why he can't, but Arsenal have some kind of conveyor belt of these players who are comfortable on the ball, but who seem to be drilled out of knowing how to do anything particularly useful with it. There were a few occsasions last night when he played a nothing pass instead of taking on a shot or driving at the defence.

Still, for someone his age to even be holding their own, you can hardly pick at the faults too much.

Gillespie

Pitying all you northerners doomed to a life of cu
As long as he is played in the correct position......however we have a long history of English managers playing people out of their best position, so I am not hopeful.

Capello needs to be disabused of the notion that he is a holding midfielder - he ain't!

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Yeah, I didn't think he dominated at all (not that you would expect any player to at his age), but it's his composure and quickness of movement with the ball that's most impressive. Not something you usually see in an English midfielder. Only really Scholes who I can think of has a similar looking ease with the ball at his feet.

More recently he's proven he's got a bit of metal when the spotlight's on him too...it's hard not to be impressed. The biggest worry for me would be Wenger and Arsenal's pompous "philosophy" turning him into another Hleb type player. He doesn't seem to have the vision or passing range of someone like Fabregas, or at least he doesn't yet, so it's important he gradually develops some kind of cutting edge and/or bite to his game. There's no reason why he can't, but Arsenal have some kind of conveyor belt of these players who are comfortable on the ball, but who seem to be drilled out of knowing how to do anything particularly useful with it. There were a few occsasions last night when he played a nothing pass instead of taking on a shot or driving at the defence.

Still, for someone his age to even be holding their own, you can hardly pick at the faults too much.
I was about to come on and post a shite version of what you just said.

Thank you.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
It was a very impressive performance, his passing is quite neat and to show such composure at his age against one of the most technically gifted midfields in the world is something rather special really.

Have him at United in a heartbeat.

SATA

He's turning out into a quality little player. But he started his trade being touted as a winger or some sort of playmaker, why are England and his club trying to play him in holding midfield? I was reading the other day Capello even sees a Makelele in him

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He's turning out into a quality little player. But he started his trade being touted as a winger or some sort of playmaker, why are England and his club trying to play him in holding midfield? I was reading the other day Capello even sees a Makelele in him
That's more to do with a typically poor and simplistic interpretation of roles by the English media than anything on Capello's part though.

I think Wenger's just playing him there to build up his all round game (and because it means he can leave Fabregas further forward) and it's really fast-tracked his defensive development, as he's mentioned himself, so you can see why. Makes sense to play him there for England because they need someone to come deep and pick the ball up of the defence, distribute it calmly and initiate attacks from deep, and it requires very little tactical reshuffling to do so - he's just doing what Barry does, but better.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him move forward later in his career.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Thank you very much, people are getting carried away with this. Played a very good game against a midfield containing the two but to say he dominated is a sick joke!

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
He's 18 and remained calm and cool against a high pressure Barcelona team. You clearly don't know the value in this.
I've had nothing but praise for him, but in one post I pointed out that he's not dominated Iniesta and Xavi (which is true) and I suddenly don't know the value of his performance?

Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime.

Ekeke

I'm fairly sure that Wilshire played the holding role in a 2 for England, because Lampard was going to be starting and the captain on the day. What was the other option, have Lampard holding? That removes everything that's good about him and on an important night for him, that would have been insane.

On other occasions Lampard and Gerrard might be unavailable so Wilshire starts again. This time next to the likes of Barry or Carrick - is he really going to be holding in a midfield 2 then? Doubtful

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

I'm pretty happy to be honest. The only game I've wanted Arsenal to win all season and Wilshere whips out his best performance. It's hardly backfired massively, the thread was bumped after like 3 months. :lol:

Still he looks quality. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get injured next Wednesday against Stoke now.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
cesc4official Cesc Fàbregas Soler
@jack_wilshere can't believe i had to go to get Messi's shirt for u. U were so scared. You were MOTM so next time please ask urself!

Seems like a pretty nice lad as well.

Jopub

From Barca to Orient - back down to earth with a b
"Thomas..It's up for grabs now - Thomas, righ
Apart from the technical and obvious football things I'm incredibly impressed with his composure and mentallity

tbfair he did'nt dominate anubody but simply and confidently got on with playing his own game regardless of the megastars he was up against.

Would have been easy for him to hide and play square balls hoping not to make mistakes but he's clearly in a different league in that respect he really knows how good he is and wants to impose himself right from the off

If he goes all the way... IF? he could be a world star

Remains to be seen. Injuries can play a part as well as his own ego which will be getting a real swooning atm. If he can keep a level head and continue to work on his game he should be a hell of a player for us

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Apart from the technical and obvious football things I'm incredibly impressed with his composure and mentallity

tbfair he did'nt dominate anubody but simply and confidently got on with playing his own game regardless of the megastars he was up against.

Would have been easy for him to hide and play square balls hoping not to make mistakes but he's clearly in a different league in that respect he really knows how good he is and wants to impose himself right from the off

If he goes all the way... IF? he could be a world star

Remains to be seen. Injuries can play a part as well as his own ego which will be getting a real swooning atm. If he can keep a level head and continue to work on his game he should be a hell of a player for us

Sensible assessment

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Good post Jopub. Like you said he didn't boss anyone, he just wasn't intimidated or even phased by his midfield opponents, and got on with his job with ******. What a player to have on our books.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Wilshire individual highlights vs Barca

sensational
He's a fantastic player alright, but you've gotta have equally great players around you or you're stuck in limbo, and you'll never win anything. Arsenal dont have the quality to compliment Wilshere's talent - away from home anyway!

If Arsenal have any sense, they'll invest, but u know they wont because the shareholders are greedy fecks, and all the revenue profits are lining their pockets - its as simple as that!

Superb little footballer!

Status
Not open for further replies.