Wilshere - where does the hype come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Silly thread, if its one thing Wenger still hasn't lost his touch with.. its producing quality creative centre-mids. Wilshere and hopefully Ramsey if he's the same player after that terrible injury both have the makings of becoming top class British centre-mids.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Silly thread, if its one thing Wenger still hasn't lost his touch with.. its producing quality creative centre-mids. Wilshere and hopefully Ramsey if he's the same player after that terrible injury both have the makings of becoming top class British centre-mids.

Lost his touch with? Whom has he produced whose a top quality creative centre mid?

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Wilshere's obviously a talent, a real footballer, but he hasn't made it yet and his reputation has been hyped up a bit, probably due to England's criminal lack of talent in midfield. Ramsay's reputation seems to have grown in his absence from injury, as tends to be the case with long term absentees (see Hargreaves and RvP). It's a long long way back for him.

Both Wilshere and Ramsay are a good level or two below Fabregas (even at similar ages), who's the player they'll eventually need to replace. They'll also waste their careers if they continue to be surrounded by bottling fannies at Arsenal.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Lost his touch with? Whom has he produced whose a top quality creative centre mid?
When I mean produced, I mean brought through into the first team and guided them etc Fabregas is the stellar example but Nasri is another now who is reaping the benefits. Yes he's playing out wide but for France he showed how devastating he can be in that position if given a chance .. add that to Ramsey last year who was beginning to make a name for himself and Wilshere also impressing this year.. clearly Wenger has a good eye for creative midfielders with incisive passing. Its not surprising as his whole philosophy is built on such players.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Denilson....Diaby...
They're not creative, the former is just a nothingness who is apparently meant to be a DM and the latter is decent as a box to box ball carrier but again no playmaker.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Am I the only person who rates Diaby? I think he's excellent, when given license to push forward.

When I mean produced, I mean brought through into the first team and guided them etc Fabregas is the stellar example but Nasri is another now who is reaping the benefits. Yes he's playing out wide but for France he showed how devastating he can be in that position if given a chance .. add that to Ramsey last year who was beginning to make a name for himself and Wilshere also impressing this year.. clearly Wenger has a good eye for creative midfielders with incisive passing. Its not surprising as his whole philosophy is built on such players.
It didn't take a particularly good eye to spot Ramsey, everyone wanted him including us, in fact he came to OT I think but eventually chose Arsenal despite being a United fan, the daft twat.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Am I the only person who rates Diaby? I think he's excellent, when given license to push forward.

It didn't take a particularly good eye to spot Ramsey, everyone wanted him including us, in fact he came to OT I think but eventually chose Arsenal despite being a United fan, the daft twat.
Diaby has all the tools to be a good player, I like him... I can't stand Denilson but thats a different matter altogether.

Well I assume Ramsey said he thought his game would benefit more under Wenger's tutelage. I think any young player who wants to win trophies and have a world class mentality to go with their potential being realised should pick United first but I'm biased.

Anyway there are many things I'm willing to criticise Wenger on, but I would have faith in him when it comes to attacking mids.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Diaby is a mystery. He seems to be able to do everything. Like he's strong, he's got a good pass, he's good at tackling, yet he can't put it all together.

Chrisjn

I like Wilshire, going to be a great player. Deserved hype IMO.

As Pogue said, I think this thread could end up as embarresing as that Nasri thread...

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Anyway there are many things I'm willing to criticise Wenger on, but I would have faith in him when it comes to attacking mids.
It's hard to tell since he buys them in such bulk. Fabregas and Nasri were great buys/kidnappings. Ramsey as I say was a no-brainer. Were Rosicky and Hleb great buys? Reyes? The jury's still out on Arshavin, cracking player on his day but he'll be thirty soon, he needs to be delivering consistently now.

Chrisjn

Ramsey chose Arsenal over United IIRC?

I'm sure we were interested...

ilshere came through the ranks at Arsenal, right? So no bother there, but would have been great for us to get our hands on Ramsey,

Ah well, We'll probably end up with Rodwell. I think Everton will instill him with a lot of grit and he's in good hands there, for now...

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Ramsey chose Arsenal over United IIRC?

I'm sure we were interested...
Correct. In fact it was quite embarrasing as we announced that we'd signed him on our website.

Chrisjn

We sent Gary Neville on a bmx and Arsenal sent Wenger in a private jet
Yeh, This was the time where SAF did't go in person, which had a big effect on his decision.

He wanted first team football at an early age too, which is ironic really, as he'd have just a good a chance playing for us after the time it's taken him to get over his break.

Care_de_Bobo

Forget Wilshire, how the feck did Balotelli get first place? Surely there are other young players in the world of football who have a starting place and are important to their teams.
Name them. Look at the list of nominees and you'll see that it wasn't such a crazy decision.

Jiggs'Hamstring

It's hard to tell since he buys them in such bulk. Fabregas and Nasri were great buys/kidnappings. Ramsey as I say was a no-brainer. Were Rosicky and Hleb great buys? Reyes? The jury's still out on Arshavin, cracking player on his day but he'll be thirty soon, he needs to be delivering consistently now.
Unless I've missed things, Arshavin's lack of consistency and big-match mentality get brushed over far too easily. Everyone knows how good he can be, but he seems to turn up for one game in two at best. He's being played in his absolute ideal position in a side which gives him plenty of opportunities to get at people - it's not good enough.

Rosicky's always flattered to deceive though - well, since he's been at Arsenal anyway.

alastair

ignorant
Unless I've missed things, Arshavin's lack of consistency and big-match mentality get brushed over far too easily. Everyone knows how good he can be, but he seems to turn up for one game in two at best. He's being played in his absolute ideal position in a side which gives him plenty of opportunities to get at people - it's not good enough.

Rosicky's always flattered to deceive though - well, since he's been at Arsenal anyway.
Of all the Arsenal players, Arshavin tends to be the one who turns up the most in the big games - 4 goals away at Anfield, and one against you lot last year, plus he should have won a stonewall penalty off a Fletcher tackle. He's not a problem away from home.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Wilshere is excellent but McEachran is a better footballer, just. Wilshere has aggression though.
I know McEachran is really young and it's kind of a Caf cliché but if ever there was a player that "needs to bulk up" then it's him.

wr8_utd

:'(
Of all the Arsenal players, Arshavin tends to be the one who turns up the most in the big games - 4 goals away at Anfield, and one against you lot last year, plus he should have won a stonewall penalty off a Fletcher tackle. He's not a problem away from home.
You lot will NEVER forget Fletcher and that game will you :lol::lol::lol:

Jiggs'Hamstring

I'd say those two performances were in the initial rush when he arrived and looked brilliant. Hasn't happened very much since. Sorry, but it hasn't. He was pretty dire at OT the other day and he rarely gets a look-in against Chelsea.

Gooney

The previous winners include, Mario Ballotelli, Sergio Aguero, Wayne Rooney, Cesc Fabregas, Anderson, Van Der Vaart...i'd say its pretty decent, to be fair.
Didn't bother to look up the previous winners, but when I saw that Bebe was one of the nominees I kind of resented the award straight away.

alastair

ignorant
I'd say those two performances were in the initial rush when he arrived and looked brilliant. Hasn't happened very much since. Sorry, but it hasn't. He was pretty dire at OT the other day and he rarely gets a look-in against Chelsea.
He was dire at OT, but so was everyone. He's definitely a player who plays well when the team plays well with him. He's like a lead singer with an average singing voice - he needs the band around him, otherwise he can look a bit lost. If his band are there, he looks like a superstar.

He's not been quite as explosive as I thought he'd be, but I still think he's been good for us. He's an effective player - he scores/assists a lot more than he's given credit for, and he's generally just a useful player to have in the side. He's not the flop he's been made out to be.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Name them. Look at the list of nominees and you'll see that it wasn't such a crazy decision.
I just saw it. Yeah the list surprised me a bit. Not so long back that age group had Messi, Rooney, Ronaldo and Fabregas in it. Cycles and all that I guess.

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
:lol:

that made me burst out laughing, partly true in the case of Fabregas

alastair

ignorant
Yes. Wilshire is a brilliant talent.
Yeh, this thread is a tad weird. I don't think there's a better British talent out there right now. I'm just glad we've got him, and Ramsey, should he return to his best.

He's done very well for us this year, and I can guarantee that if he was a United player, the Caf would love him like a son.

Status
Not open for further replies.