Wimbledon 2013

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Hear this nonsense all the time. There's plenty of quality women around, the female side of the game is in a great place, just so happens they've all come along during the era of arguably the greatest female player to ever grace the game.

Sloane through. My one to watch.

:lol:

It's dreadful. Can't believe you've said this.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Fed's serve is saving his arse here. Murray will take care of Fed this year so long as we don't have the roof closed.

shaggy

Keep up your muppetry mate, quite comical :lol:

What's comical is you thinking the women's game is in a great place. The top 3 are good, but have a look at the rest of the top 10: Radwanska, Errani, Li Na, Kerber Kvitiva, Wozniacki and Kirilenko. A pathetic bunch of players. Now compare that to say, 2005:

1) Davenport
2) Clijsters
3) Mauresmo
4) Sharapova
5) Pierce
6) Henin
7) Schynder
8) Dementieva
9) Petrova
10) V Williams

It's not even a debate. This era flat out sucks for women.

TheBest

SPNTBP
Hear this nonsense all the time. There's plenty of quality women around, the female side of the game is in a great place, just so happens they've all come along during the era of arguably the greatest female player to ever grace the game.

Sloane through. My one to watch.
Really?

TheBest

SPNTBP
What's comical is you thinking the women's game is in a great place. The top 3 are good, but have a look at the rest of the top 10: Radwanska, Errani, Li Na, Kerber Kvitiva, Wozniacki and Kirilenko. A pathetic bunch of players. Now compare that to say, 2005:

1) Davenport
2) Clijsters
3) Mauresmo
4) Sharapova
5) Pierce
6) Henin
7) Schynder
8) Dementieva
9) Petrova
10) V Williams

Wow :drool:

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
There are more stunners on the tour these days, but that's all that has improved.

shaggy

Because he's 32 in a weeks time Boris, you plank.

Edit - month, rather.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Stakhovsky takes a 2-1 lead now. Playing some brilliant stuff here. Even though Federer isn't at his best, he's hardly been awful. He's just been up against someone playing some fantastic tennis.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
If Fed loses here, it will very anti-climatic. Especially after all the hooplah over the men's draw.

shaggy

Stakhovsky takes a 2-1 lead now. Playing some brilliant stuff here. Even though Federer isn't at his best, he's hardly been awful. He's just been up against someone playing some fantastic tennis.

Stak's been great, never seen or heard of him before. It's mad that Darcis and this dude may take out Nadal and Federer in the first round.

Zen

Don't think Federer has had a Grand Slam without a 5 setter in like 5 years now......riding his luck though.

JP77

1) Davenport
2) Clijsters
3) Mauresmo
4) Sharapova
5) Pierce
6) Henin
7) Schynder
8) Dementieva
9) Petrova
10) V Williams

Then it's pointless debating it with you (or anybody who just rushes in with laughing smiley faces). Claiming players like Kvitova are pathetic is quite a distance more laughable than me saying the women's side of the game is in a great place (great might be a bit overboard in fairness, very good then).

It's all overshadowed simply because we have basically the greatest female player currently competing and because she's so dominating, people get this idea that the rest are shit, when they're actually far from it.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
If Stakhovksy keeps serving this way then Federer will have to tie-break his way to victory. Federer looked this poor in the early rounds last year and still won the title.

shaggy

Then it's pointless debating it with you (or anybody who just rushes in with laughing smiley faces). Claiming players like Kvitova are pathetic is quite a distance more laughable than me saying the women's side of the game is in a great place (great might be a bit overboard in fairness, very good then).

It's all overshadowed simply because we have basically the greatest female player currently competing and because she's so dominating, people get this idea that the rest are shit, when they're actually far from it.

Federer is the greatest male player ever and I don't see him strolling to Grand Slam titles in his thirties. Players like Errani and Kirilenko should be nowhere near the top 10, Wozniacki and Radwanska aren't much better either. It's been pants since Henin retired.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet

Serena is not the greatest female player ever.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Federer will never win another Slam outside of SW19. And looking at him right now, I fail to see him doing even that.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Stakhovsky's really playing without fear here and is going for it. Generally seems to have the upper hand and doesn't seem nervous. Has to be careful not to over-commit sometimes though.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Federer will never win another Slam outside of SW19. And looking at him right now, I fail to see him doing even that.

Age doesn't help him at all either. While the likes of Djokovic could come back fairly easily from a 5-setter a day or two later, you wonder if it's now going to take even more of a toll on Federer if he does make it through this match.

shaggy

Want Fed to complete a great comeback, but want Murray to win Wimbledon as well...

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Federer just starting to get into it a bit more now. Among all the fantastic tennis he plays, the guy has an incredible mentality too. Even with Stak playing well I just didn't see him winning this set so easily without Federer giving some sort of response again.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Federer a tad frustrated there. Good response on his own serve from Stakhovsky.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Federer is such a twat, a small gesture of apology would suffice.

He was certainly a bit over the top there. If it was after the break perhaps then it'd be mildly understandable if he were to apologise, but he'd not long broken and was right back in the game too.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

Thing is though, the quality isn't that good or exciting to watch, they do more fist pumping and screaming than actually playing good shots, they look up to their trainer after every point half the time like they haven't got their own braincells. I watched Pektovic or something the other day and she screams BEFORE the hits the ball, like, well before, there is no need.

There are some exciting players coming through who aren't in the top 10 though. The top 10 isn't really great imo, most of them are very inconsistent and aren't totally focused on the game either. The next 3 or 4 years should be more interesting in the womens game though, the younger lasses and lesser knows are starting to look a lot hungrier. I think this generation of "top players" in the womens game have let the glamour get to them a bit. At the minute though, it's nothing amazing to watch, you get a few good games here and there on the womens tour, but nowhere near the quality of watching the mens.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
What happened?

When Stakhovsky won his service game to make it 4-4, Federer basically hit a frustration shot which was obviously going to go out and came close to hitting Stakhovsky. As I said, was a bit unnecessary given the circumstances.