Wimbledon 2016

elnorte

Freaky fly day
His victory speech was actually excellent - very gracious and humble.

I think he was being entirely sincere when thanking Cameron. No ulterior motive or anything like that just a basic show of respect. However, it probably would have been best not say it as the reaction from a large portion of the crowd was both embarrassing and predictable. Not that I'm against people booing Cameron (or any PM or politician) in principle. It's just that in a situation like that it does induce quite a bit of cringe.

Also I'm sure people are joking but he isn't a Tory. The guy supported Scottish independence for crying out loud! :lol:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
IIRC he was very reluctant to talk about it but declared himself as an Indy supporter perhaps even on polling day. I don't think he is overly politically aware, however.
Yeah, don't get the vibe he's a massive politico although he did back it at the time, partly due to the No campaign's negativity. Got a shit ton of abuse for his tweet on it - can recall people saying they wished he'd been killed at Dumblane and similarly disgusting shit.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Apparently this is the first time since 04 someone has won a grand slam and not had to face Nadal, Federer or Djokovic on the way. Shows how dominant they've been over the years...even if it was already a given.

Sparky Rhiwabon

His victory speech was actually excellent - very gracious and humble.

I think he was being entirely sincere when thanking Cameron. No ulterior motive or anything like that just a basic show of respect. However, it probably would have been best not say it as the reaction from a large portion of the crowd was both embarrassing and predictable. Not that I'm against people booing Cameron (or any PM or politician) in principle. It's just that in a situation like that it does induce quite a bit of cringe.

Also I'm sure people are joking but he isn't a Tory. The guy supported Scottish independence for crying out loud! :lol:
I hope he thanked Querrey, without whom none of this would have been possible.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'd have given Murray this year (and in this tournament) a very good chance of beating Djokovic. And besides it's a mute point - Djokovic lost, and therefore Murray can hardly have it held against him for failing to beat a player who didn't do well enough to face him.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Brilliant display from Murray, I am sure Raonic is going to win many slams himself (especially as the talent pool looks pretty threadbare post the big 3) so very pleased Murray got a deserved 3rd slam. Looked a dead-cert tbh once Djokovic got knocked out, he's been beating everyone bar him for ages now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Aren't Scotland going to have a referendum soon? Would Murray get as much support next year not being a Brit?

Sylar

Ruthless during the tie-break. Bringing back Lendl was the best thing he did.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Just a question, stupid one, to the British guys here: Who would have got more support had it been Federer vs Murray? Sure Murray is local lad but the amount of love towards Fed is pretty unbelievable

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Just a question, stupid one, to the British guys here: Who would have got more support had it been Federer vs Murray? Sure Murray is local lad but the amount of love towards Fed is pretty unbelievable
Murray, but it would have been more like 2/3 or 60%.

Classical Mechanic

Yeah, don't get the vibe he's a massive politico although he did back it at the time, partly due to the No campaign's negativity. Got a shit ton of abuse for his tweet on it - can recall people saying they wished he'd been killed at Dumblane and similarly disgusting shit.
Yeah. Sign of the times unfortunately. The anonymity of Twitter enables that type of abuse. J K Rowling was abused similarly for being public on the other side of the argument.

As for Murray, I started to warm to him after he broke down at Wimbledon a few years back. Before that he kind of seemed a little bit aloof I guess.

@anant

Federer is the only tennis player I would like to win over Murray.

wr8_utd

:'(
Federer would get more support than Murray at Wimbledon, more than Tsonga at RG and more than *insert random American* at USO.

Aboutreika18

Best thing to come out of this Wimbledon was Del Potro's return.

Hope to see him back up amongst the big boys once again. Just seems like yesterday I was watching his epic US Open win against Federer.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
I don't think he had time to thank everyone who beat everyone else.Im pretty sure you can only beat who is in front of you. Andy Murray did that and is Wimbledon Champion again.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I don't think he had time to thank everyone who beat everyone else.Im pretty sure you can only beat who is in front of you. Andy Murray did that and is Wimbledon Champion again.
Not to mention that he's beat Djokovic both times they've played on grass before, both in straight sets.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Murray has been excellent this year. 3 Grand Slam finals and can easily see him getting into the 4th as well.

Just the monster Djokovic standing in his way to rack up some more slams. He's clearly the 2nd best player in the world.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Didn't that happen when she was just 16 years old?
Yeah but he was 203rd in the world and absolutely dicked them both 6-1 (Serena) 6-2 (Venus) whilst smoking cigarettes between games and also reportedly playing easy (Claiming to play more like a 600th seeded player). Serena also won her first Open a year later.

The only high profile game where a woman has seriously beaten a man was Billie Jean King beating a 55 year old Bobby Riggs. Funnily enough, he beat Court quite easily the same year.

Women's tennis doesn't even come close to mens tennis.
Best thing to come out of this Wimbledon was Del Potro's return.

Hope to see him back up amongst the big boys once again. Just seems like yesterday I was watching his epic US Open win against Federer.
The commentators mentioned that because of his surgery he cannot put topspin on his backhand any more.